• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread April 2013: Now with GAF Gold IAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWX

I downloaded Eighty Eight yesterday, and I played it for like five hours or so. So good and addictive! Felt so bad for getting it for free a week or two ago.

PFD

So was I at first but now that I think about it, a stream of hand picked apps is so much nicer than an auto generated list. +iPhone 5 support

What bothers me is the lack of iPad support

There's a F2P Fast & Furious 6 game out on the Canadian store. Going by the publisher's track record, it seems like an IAP stinkfest. I'm downloading it now to see if it's any good.

Update: it's a CSR clone

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Will add something to the OP about Appshopper, a GAF-list of sorts could do wonders. I'll also get around to updating the OP in general, hang in there :p.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
How do you add friends? do you have to link a twitter account or am i missing something obvious.

Create an Appshopper account within the app, linking to Twitter will then pull any of your Twitter followers who also have Appshopper accounts into your Appshopper friendslist automatically. You'll also be able to add friends manually by pressing Edit > Add within the app.

J0dy77

Create an Appshopper account within the app, linking to Twitter will then pull any of your Twitter followers who also have Appshopper accounts into your Appshopper friendslist automatically. You'll also be able to add friends manually by pressing Edit > Add within the app.

I was trying to avoid linking to twitter. Oh well.

PittaGAF

I have yet to try it extensively...seems to me the only thing the new AppShopper miss is the popular tab (and it's not universal for some reason either).
When bored I used the popular tab a lot.

I could gladily get rid of the pupular tap and have it substituted with a 'NeoGAF' approved stream...but how it works? (I'm away from my iphone now).

I will see what you all are wishing for?
The popular tab, as far as I know, was based on downloads too...but I do not think the new app knows what one will download, not being tied to your iTunes account.
So?

I saw you can rate games too (owned ones).
A NeoGAF 'rated' games stream could be useful too.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I have yet to try it extensively...seems to me the only thing the new AppShopper miss is the popular tab (and it's not universal for some reason either).
When bored I used the popular tab a lot.

I could gladily get rid of the pupular tap and have it substituted with a 'NeoGAF' approved stream...but how it works? (I'm away from my iphone now).

I will see what you all are wishing for?
The popular tab, as far as I know, was based on downloads too...but I do not think the new app knows what one will download, not being tied to your iTunes account.
So?

I saw you can rate games too (owned ones).
A NeoGAF 'rated' games stream could be useful too.

The stream populates with apps that your friends have added to their Wish List or My Apps lists. From what I can tell the same as Popular except it's now whats popular among your friends/GAF.

Also this:

With AppShopper Social, you can maintain a Friend/Follower list. When you add a friend to your list, your personalized stream becomes composed of apps that that they have added to their own lists. While you can add any other AppShopper user to your friends list, we’ve created a few special accounts for you to get started with.

• 148apps
• appshopper
• macrumors
• toucharcade

These are specially created AppShopper accounts that are automatically populated when apps are mentioned or rated on their respective websites.

Also, in the interest of time, we haven’t yet updated the iPad version yet. In its present form, AppShopper Social is not a Universal app. We will be working on a Universal update soon.

PittaGAF

The stream populates with apps that your friends have added to their Wish List or My Apps lists. From what I can tell the same as Popular except it's now whats popular among your friends/GAF.

Also this:

Thanks for the infos...as soon as I'll grab my iPhone I'll add you all (and see which is my account, because I do not remember :p )

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Thanks for the infos...as soon as I'll grab my iPhone I'll add you all (and see which is my account, because I do not remember :p )

I have you on my friends list as Pitta, I think it came from Twitter recognizing you already having an Appshopper account.

(I'm Tunesmith on appshopper/tunesmiff on twitter for anyone wanting to add me. I haven't synced my app library to my account yet though so my recommendations are barren.)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
My radar at the moment is:

Baldurs Gate 2 (guessing)
Frozen Synapse
Star Command
Eclipse

Looks like most people have much the same.

Baldur's Gate 2 fo sho, I think me and Pray might be the only folks in the world who played the whole thing through :p

Xcom is gonna rock my world too, so excited for that. And the inevitable San Andreas port next year! And if Stainless aren't working on a Carmageddon 2 port then they're for it.

I could do with a few more decent platformers in the League of Evil vein, and some more Metroidvanias.

Clunker

OK, glad it's not just me. It works fine for the most part after its loaded and I'm going through.

I did buy the $3.99 pack and bought the starter set for 195 coins. It's a very good golf game that is really between Tiger Woods and Let's Golf 1/2 (or the Hot Shots series).

My username is nicoga3000 if anyone plays.
I'll send you an invite - my Golf Star username is "Beryx". I ended up making a new account and also bought the $4 IAP to unlock unlimited hearts to Lv. 30 - liking it a lot so far. It's far better than Let's Golf (I've only played LG2, I think) and I'm curious to see how my opinion of it changes now that I can play virtually unlimited.

PFD

Was this removed from the store? I can't find it even if I click on a direct link to it posted on toucharcade.

That's odd, I can't find it either. Why would they remove it? Does it have a hidden NES emulator on day 6? lol

Baldur's Gate 2 fo sho, I think me and Pray might be the only folks in the world who played the whole thing through :p

Yeah! BG was awesome. Do we know if BG2 enhanced is coming out for sure? Was BG profitable for Beamdog?

Anyone after buddies on appshopper's new app, I'm wideawakewesley on there.

And if anyone has any recommendations for how best to use the fish on Fish Out Of Water, I'd love to hear them, I think my best is only 8.5.

My radar at the moment is:

Baldurs Gate 2 (guessing)
Frozen Synapse
Star Command
Eclipse

Looks like most people have much the same.

Is frozen synapse finally coming to iOS? That game needs push notifications like nobodies business

edit: just searched. heck yessss, i'm pretty psyched even though I dont own a tablet

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/id493832593?mt=8&s=143455

Has anyone tried League of Evil 2? Seems to be free at the moment.

mzl.tlultvhg.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.hqryojto.320x480-75.jpg

Double D

2013 continues to be year of the point-and-click adventure games on iOS for me.

Here's my list that I've played so far:

Year Walk
The Silent Age
Broken Sword
Broken Sword 2
Beneath a Steel Sky
Gemini Rue
Ghost Trick

Just finished Ghost Trick earlier today. I really enjoyed the game and it had a neat, albeit a bit convoluted, story. The way they deliver the story was painfully slow, though. And sometimes my phone wouldn't save appropriately causing me to backtrack through horrifically slow dialogue. Gameplay was different and interesting, though.

So what should I get into next? Finding Teddy, The Journey Down, or Cognition?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Figured GAF would be all over this one. Anyone?

Was very clunky back when it was originally released in September last year so it might have gone under everyone's radar since it's significant update this year.

--

Added some backlog to the OP:

Trailer / 30 min gameplay

Requires an iPad2 or later -- MMO, game purchase includes a free month of access, after which subscription options start at $1 per month.​

Trailer

FREE FOR A LIMITED TIME​

Was very clunky back when it was originally released in September last year so it might have gone under everyone's radar since it's significant update this year.

--

Added some backlog to the OP:

Trailer / 30 min gameplay

Requires an iPad2 or later -- MMO, game purchase includes a free month of access, after which subscription options start at $1 per month.​

Trailer

FREE FOR A LIMITED TIME​

Been a while since I looked at the topic post, but when did we stop having impressions? I wanna know why those games up there are awesome! :x

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Reeeeeaaaallly? Jailbreak required?
I have a feeling you just use Iexplorer on a computer and place a directory in there without jail breaking, but you may wanna make sure first.

I have a feeling you just use Iexplorer on a computer and place a directory in there without jail breaking, but you may wanna make sure first.

I'm told this only works if you haven't installed iOS 6 or newer - iOS 6 made it impossible to write to an app's root directory, apparently.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Been a while since I looked at the topic post, but when did we stop having impressions? I wanna know why those games up there are awesome! :x

I would prefer to have GAF impressions in the OP (one-two liners prefered!!) rather than my norm copy/paste with minor tweak blurbs, absolutely. Thing is most of the time recently I haven't seen many. Also I have to keep the OP light on text or it hits the 24000 char limit near the end of the month's. :D

I would prefer to have GAF impressions in the OP (one-two liners prefered!!) rather than my norm copy/paste with minor tweak blurbs, absolutely. Thing is most of the time recently I haven't seen many. Also I have to keep the OP light on text or it hits the 24000 char limit near the end of the month's. :D

Just quote stuff from this thread. And you should be allowed to take stuff on and off if the game 'loses interest super fast', like that fish game.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Will add something to the OP about Appshopper, a GAF-list of sorts could do wonders. I'll also get around to updating the OP in general, hang in there :p.

I'm back! :)
We can add an appshopper row to the GAF iOS membership list, what do you say?

Also, about impressions: I'd say we had many about Fish out of the water at the very least.
Game is not very good, IMO. Good for an afternoon at the most, no compelling score mechanics, zero lasting appeal.

Heel

I don't think we've had many, if any positive opinions on The Other Brothers either.

I think the OP should only have games that are overwhelmingly approved by GAF. If that means going weeks without something new, so be it. Just the best of the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom