• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone else's Switch... bent?

Felensis

Banned
Does the bend negatively affect your ability to use the product? Is the bend continuing to get worse over time?

Usage is fine, but it looks ugly and I'm seriously concerned of how about this will turn it in the long term. Better safe than sorry.

Raitaro

Only now had the guts to check my unit and lo and behold it is slightly bent as well.

I can see a small gap in the middle when putting a ruler on top of it, very similar to the OP's pics. Both sides seem to be curving upwards slightly in other words when the screen is facing up. What I also noticed is that the groove that runs along the upper narrow side (the one you'd see exposed when docked), specifically between the volume controls and the air outlet, is not as tightly shut as the one on the opposite end, meaning that I can see it get slightly narrower when I press the screen and backside of the Switch gently together. Not sure if that is related to the bending or not though.

For clarity, I've been playing (Zelda exclusively) for 95% of the time in docked mode using a pro controller while the joy-con have been attached to the unit. I did notice that the air around the unit would be getting quite hot at times, especially when being put in a (imo acceptable) half-enclosed space between the TV and a closet, so that might be a factor here.

While I'm not bothered that much about it beyond aesthetics, I might send it back if there are multiple defects and if there is reason to worry. In my case, I've also been having the left joy-con issue so I might as well have Nintendo look at both in one go and send everything back in the box if that is an option. For that I would need to have the box here though, which I currently don't since I bought the system in my home country before I went on holiday to the US and then back to my temporary home in Germany in one go and as such I had to leave it at my parent's place in The Netherlands...

My d-pad on the pro-controller might be one of the looser ones that mixes up inputs as well, which really makes me wonder if I have been exceptionally unlucky with my purchases or whether the claim (by Nintendo as well) that these issues are nothing more than rare cases is actually caused by the fact that most Switch owners have not looked at their systems as extensively as people here and on Reddit. The desyncing is harder to ignore I guess, but the bending, dock scratching and d-pad wobbling are all things that many might not be noticing unless people go out of their way to look for them, or in the case of the pro controller, unless they happen to play lots of games using the d-pad (and not just Zelda since I only noticed it myself when I read the thread and used the test).

Perfection doesn't exist in hardware but I want my new system to be without any flaws that might cause bigger issues later on, which in case of the bending especially I'm not fully sure about, so I'm kind of conflicted about how motivated I should be to go through the hassle of contacting Nintendo and sending things back to them. The latter might prove to be extra complicated for me since I have a Dutch system that I took back to me to Germany, which is a country where I can only barely express myself in terms of language and where I as a result dread having to make phone calls. That said, the left joy-con is unusable as is so I need to do something about that anyway...sigh...

Edit: I decided to at least email the Dutch repair service with some questions about what to do while I'm in Germany without the box and receipt. I did of course also explain my left joy-con issue and bending Switch to them while I was at it so hopefully I'll get some feedback on those as well. I'm especially curious if they will offer to repair or even replace the entire Switch or not, though that would mean that I'd lose my screen protector as well after spending quite some time on applying it (and the only one that I have because it came with the official carry case).

f@luS

More than a member.
Looking at this thread I saw mine is a little bit bent as well. I would have never seen it if not this thread or internet.
My dock is fine and I'm 50/50 docked undocked
I tried to unbent it myself and it looks perfect now. Still it was almost invisible. Too much noise for something like that

big_z

It's not bent its curved and the more curved the better. People pay a premium for curved TV's so if your switch is bent like a boomerang then you got the high end model!

Futaba

PS4 Analog Sticks, Jet Engines, Wobble from not being flat.

Not really related, but just to chime in this only happened because the console has 3 slim rubber feet, and no feet on the hdd side past the dividing line, so any pressure applied to the hdd side, or to the far corners of the apposite side would make it rock slightly, was nothing to do with the console not being flat and everything to do with foot placement.

1969yxcpm6c0apng.png

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Mine is getting slightly bent, but I've been constantly lugging it in my backpack with other rather heavy things, so I can imagine that's how it happened.

It's. A. Manufacturing. Issue.

It's not getting warped in your backpack. It's not getting warped from holding it. It's not getting warped from being docked. And it's certainly not getting warped from getting too hot (LOL). Do you realize how hot this thing would have to get to cause any sort of warping? We're talking burn treatment, battery-blowing, electrical fire, Samsung Galaxy levels of heat. That's *not* what's happening, and there are quite a few incredibly irresponsible articles out there promoting this absolUTELY ridiculous idea of heat warping (metalworking is a hobby and interest of mine, so I know a bit about heating an object to the point of malleability).

If your Switch is bent, it came bent out of the box. It's not going to get worse over time, and for most people it's so imperceptible you never even knew it before you looked. Out of curiosity I checked and noticed my own Switch is EVER so slightly bent in one corner. Its so subtle that even with a ruler it's hard to see, and it's completely and utterly imperceptible without it, and so I don't really care. I'd never even know if I hadn't looked. I'm not defending it. I'm simply trying with all dispatch to get people to understand what's caused it. If it really bugs you, by all means, return it to Nintendo. Just stop with the idea your Switch is getting progressively warped over time for whatever reason. It's not.

Has anyone in the UK sent their warped Switch back to Nintendo for repairs? I sent mine last week and it's now showing up on the website as 'repair held - awaiting parts'. I've heard some horror stories that it can take weeks and weeks to be repaired. Anyone got any experience of this?

grcd

Neo Member
Apologies for necrobumping this thread. I would like to offer a complete report of just how badly Nintendo UK handles bent devices - in fact accusing customers of physically damaging the devices themselves. The previous poster spoke of "horror stories", and this is one of them.

I bought my Switch in December 2018. While I do not know if it had a bend from the beginning, I did notice something wasn't right aprox 2-3 months after purchasing it when I randomly placed it on a flat surface and it would rock from side to side. I had another Switch to compare it to, which was perfectly flat. The photos with the device in the dock on a wood surface are of the original Switch. I reported the issue to Nintendo UK on April 2018. They promptly booked it in for repair, which at the time left me very impressed and satisfied.

This did not last long.

I first received the device back on the 1st of May 2019. I say 'first' because this would be the first of several attempts to repair this Switch. In fact, it was received and the repair notes said that a "software" fault had been found and that the "operating system was repaired" (!). The bend was still visible and nothing had been done to fix it despite having sent these very same photos alongside the device. I immediately approached Nintendo UK to notify that the problem had not been resolved. They apologized and offered to book it in for repairs a second time. I was also asked at the time if the device is 'overheating' but I responded that I was not aware if it was overheating or not. I sent the device on the 8th of May 2019, and it was received again on / or around the 20th of May 2019 again not having been repaired (!) Following phone communications with Nintendo on the 24th of May 2019, I was given an apology and was asked to send in the device for a third time in order for the bend issue to be repaired. Nintendo UK also non-sensically offered me with a new titbit of 'policy', that they typically do not replace devices unless if they cannot be repaired - something that can only take place after booking in a device 3 times for the same fault. On the 12th of June 2019, I got this e-mail from Nintendo UK:

"Thank you for your reply.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't find my previous e-mail clear.

What I tried to explain to you was the process of how your Nintendo Switch console ended up being replaced.

Per the repair services, the work carried out by the repair team is to always try and repair the items. Only if an item is deemed un-repairable is a replacement unit provided.

However, this was not the case with your console.

What happened with your console is that since you sent it three times to repair the same issue a replacement unit is being provided. This is done to maintain, as you described yourself, the Nintendo standards of quality.

Please note there are automated procedures for the repair of a console with an active Nintendo Switch Online membership. Therefore the membership should be adjusted automatically.

Unfortunately we are unable to provide further compensation, as the procedures in place were followed.

The replacement unit should be dispatched to you very soon and you should be informed when that happens.

If any questions arise, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

A. C".

The device was finally received a couple of days later. It had been replaced.

Yet, within a few months after this, the replaced unit begun developing a bend of its own. Concerned, and thinking that it may be caused by overheating or the dock, I e-mailed Nintendo again in May 2020 bringing the issue to their attention. I was advised that they would need to inspect the device again, and a new ticket was issued on the 2nd of June 2020. I also sent them the new photos of the bend, which can be seen in the photos attached here (device on black surface). I was also advised to send in any peripherals, so I decided to send in my two docks as well. After a long delay waiting, and several e-mails inquiring about the status of the repair, I received an e-mail from Nintendo UK on the 27th of July 2020 telling me that Nintendo's engineers had "inspected your Switch Console and found damage due to Physical damage - Controls, Buttons or Plastics", and asking for "A payment of £157.50 is required for us to complete the repair". I responded back asking for elaboration on the kind of 'physical damage' that had been identified, as the device was otherwise pristine - it has zero scratches, scuffs or marks anywhere on its surface! On the 3rd of August 2020 I received a response saying that Nintendo is "sorry to hear that I am not satisfied with our explanation" and that they had decided to waive the fee and repair the device "free of charge". On the 5th of August 2020, I received the device back from Nintendo, and like a Groundshog day from hell, the device was still not repaired! The bent was still present, and it was as if they had done nothing physical to the device in order to repair it whatsoever! Confused, irritated, and deeply disappointed, I e-mailed them back to let them know that the device received still had the bend intact. I noted how this was supposedly a service that I would have been charged for, were it not for the fee having been waived.

This brings us to the following day. In those days between this e-mail and now, Nintendo is now directly accusing me of physically causing damage to this Switch device, and they ask for me to pay in order to fix it. This is despite clearly accepting responsibility in the past, and also 'kindly' offering to repair it "free of charge" yet not repairing it! This would have been very easy to resolve if this was a company that actually paid attention to consumer problems and requests, but their response and the kind of attitude they have demonstrated and exhibited over the past years shows in fact a company full of arrogance and disregard for its customers.

I wanted to post this here, but I am also taking this up with Citizens Advice, as well as posting this very same review on TrustPilot.

grcd

Neo Member
Those on the top are from the 'new'/ replaced unit, those on the bottom are from the original unit.
T104wnv.jpg

Le6lobn.jpg

3oOr3xA.jpg

U2j0WXT.jpg

r2s4tIh.jpg

JYSsa3u.jpg

Top Bottom