• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it time to Boycott X-box and Microsoft games studios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kungfuian

Quite frankly how Microsoft have handled the X-box and games division is atrocious. It’s a fucking dumpster fire by even the best metrics.

I know negative press comes in waves, but this feels different. It seems just about everyday we get new reports of some shitty thing they are doing/have done and a bunch of pissed off people (gamers, developers, influencers, etc).

To sum up, in just the last few weeks we have seen them-

-Buy up two of the largest publishers in the industry only to turn around and fire 1900 people on those teams and close one studio (so far). This by itself is a huge fuck you to the industry and to the people that make our games. It’s hard to imagine a greedier and more screwed up way to buy your way into a dominant software position at the expense of real people's jobs.

-Using their shady reporting of metrics to effectively steal Bethesda studios employees promised bonuses.

-Evidence they are dropping physical games and going all digital with their new hardware, thus fulfilling their plan to rob gamers any level of game ownership, and a huge slap in the face to all their fans that have built up physical libraries.

-Reports that COD may not be a day-one on Gamepass game or even on Gamepass at all, which indicates they will be going back on the one thing that makes the service stand out from their competitors and a promise they have built up the majority of their subscribers on.

-Rumors/evidence pointing to a third party approach with their game studios which is essentially a giant fuck you to all those that have supported their platform and been so patient with them. While it might mean more games for all, it is also a huge betrayal to all the fans who they have been promising exclusives to year after year and the reason so many of their fans purchased their hardware in the first place.

In isolation any one of these moves would be bad news but somewhat forgivable and seen as a business just being a business. Close a developer that’s under performing, happens, lack of physical games, yeah that’s already a thing on steam, etc. But at some point, the totality of their moves are just blatantly anti-consumer, anti-developer, and just plain bad for the industry.

I feel like the mask has been peeled away and they have revealed themselves for who they truly are, a big greedy monopolistic mega corp whose only interest is to get what they want at the expense of whoever they have to screw over.

So my question is this, with all these recent moves, is it time for a boycott of their gaming division and x-box products? If gamers and developers unite and send them a message that hits them in the form of dollars and cents, maybe the negative backlash and new ‘metrics’ will motivate them to do better.

It might not do shit, who knows, they’ll probably do what they are going to do regardless, but I can tell you one thing for sure, negative PR pieces are not enough. They shrug that shit off like nothing.

Ultimately talk is cheap and the only language a company like this speaks is in dollars and cents. If gamers want something different they will have to hit them in their pocket books.

I wonder if we might see something like this manifest itself sometime sooner than later?

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

A boycott would let them know how much they suck and how fed up alot of people are with them and their shitty practices. Getting enough people of like mind behind it is the problem. You’re already getting blowback here for even suggesting it. Some people just dont give a shit about anything anymore even when it affects them in a bad way. Sad but true.

kungfuian

A boycott would let them know how much they suck and how fed up alot of people are with them and their shitty practices. Getting enough people of like mind behind it is the problem. You’re already getting blowback here for even suggesting it. Some people just dont give a shit about anything anymore even when it affects them in a bad way. Sad but true.
I think they are just laughing at the efficacy of 'boycotts' in general, which is pessimistic but fair. Maybe a good ol boycott would help propel them to Hogwarts levels of success. What the hell do I know.

StereoVsn

I am already boycotting them since I haven’t gotten any of their stuff since Forza 5. Mind you, it’s because they can’t release good games and not anything else.

SenkiDala

Wtf no, why ?

They are a company, not your friends.

Me too I'm pissed at some of their decisions but come on they still have thousands (literally) of great games, nice exclusives to come. Their consoles are good (S for budget and X for a premium, silent, powerful experience).

People are being way too dramatic about this. Yes they close studios and that is really bad, buying studios to sell part of them but if you're being pragmatic, when a company buys another one, there's always some restructuration after, it sucks but yes it's always like this. Sony fired thousands of people recently... They're also closing Funimation and people who bought anime on that service will lose access to them, will there be a drama about this ? No.

It really sucks and people losing their jobs make me very upset but it happens all the time, especially the past 2 years, but when it's Microsoft it's like the big bad wolves...

Many companies do bad moves and I rather watch the bright side than the dark one.

About their future situation we dunno what it will be, all MS Studios exclusives on day one on Sony consoles would be quite different than some exclusives, time to time, after 1 or 2 years, we dunno. And if selling Starfield 70$ to PS5 users is their way to keep the GP running like it is now...

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It really sucks and people losing their jobs make me very upset but it happens all the time, especially the past 2 years, but when it's Microsoft it's like the big bad wolves...

Many companies do bad moves and I rather watch the bright side than the dark one.

I think the flashpoint specifically with Microsoft is all the bullshit they fed their fans about what would happen with the ABK acquisition. You're absolutely right to say major corpos do this type of horrific shit all the time... but few of them spend the years and months leading up to it trying to convince people they are doing something completely different. All the 'this will be good for gaming and gamers' horseshit spouted by Phil was unnecessary, and clearly bare-faced lies.

Last edited:

Beechos

What you just described is what all company's do.
They will cust cost where ever they can except from the top.
Spin anything that would be negative into a positive.
Promise you things and shift gears as soon as they can.

TheShocker

That’s the problem with all the gaming leaks. It’s hardly 100% accurate and causes 1000% chaos.

Personally, I’m waiting until next week to make any hardcore decisions.

Ideally, they just acquired a massive publisher, that was already doing 3rd party games. I expect no changes there.

Then, they have some other games that I personally don’t care about if they go Multiplatform or not. IE, SoT and hi-fi rush. Cool. Get games like that to other platforms. Palworld will absolutely be on PS5 at some point.

I’d ideally like to have exclusive games to Xbox. Maybe I have to pay for them day one like Sony does. But that’s fine. It’s been my console since 2002 and I’ve invested a lot of time and a ton of money into the ecosystem. I want to continue that. I’d want competitive, cutting edge hardware. I want to keep my game catalog there. I believe those things can and will happen.

But at the end of the day, I enjoy gaming. I will always own an Xbox and a PlayStation as long as they’re in production. If MS somehow puts their entire gaming catalog onto other platforms, no one is going to stop that. Just give us options to transfer our libraries and whatnot.

RCU005

Why a boycott when people are already not buying their products?

LOL, I was about to write this. The reality is that Xbox is in this position and doing all these shitty things, exactly because people are not buying their products.

However, I don't feel bad for them this generation. They made the Series S only to screw on PlayStation. They wanted -and needed- a price difference between both consoles. They knew that they couldn't compete with the same price (even less at a lower price with the PS5 Digital Edition, and maybe they were afraid the PS5 would be $400).

The cost of doing that was that all the good hype they got when they announced the Series X at VGAs, was gone when people realized all games had to be made for a PS4 Pro 1.5. People only bought the Series X until they could find a PS5, and the Series S, while sold better, it seems like it hasn't even sold as good as the Xbox One.

Xbox should've only released the Xbox Series X.

Also, Xbox was originated from wanting to screw Sony. Go watch interviews and documentaries for Xbox and Xbox 360 and they openly say that their strategy was to fuck with Sony. That is loser's strategy.

Compare it with Sony when they entered the gaming industry. Nintendo fucked them out of their deal, and they have dedicated their entire business into becoming the best gaming company with the best gaming console. They haven't spent time trying to screw Nintendo (maybe they have done so, but I don't think so in a way that their entire strategy is doing that).

Ansphn

It wont work. Microsoft is too big to fail and no one cares about Xbox enough to have the same energy you do.

Take solace in the fact that Xbox as a brand is practically dead and on its way out the door. What you can do is try to sell all your Xbox stuff as soon as possible to recover some money back and get a PlayStation or PC.

Honestly I'll say PC for you so you can still play some of those Xbox games you already own or just download all the stuff you already bought. Normally im against piracy but you'll be stealing from a company who stole from you so it evens out. Just make sure you only download the games that you bought and not go pirate crazy.

Last edited:

pqueue

I thought staff was trying to cut down on trolling and console warring.

Worthless crap like the OP is spewing from his anal orifice falls squarely in this category.

No, as an owner of an XSX and PS5 I’m fully on board with MS going third party.

I can get rid of a redundant system, as Sony makes far better hardware design in general in terms of value/innovation.

I want MS studios to thrive and make AAA games that can compete with Sony. We get better games. Why would I want to boycott MS?

It seems they may be finally trying to do things to make their business operations thrive rather than bleed money while making poor games rushed out the door to compete in the “console wars”

Imagine if Starfield were delayed 2 years like they needed? Probably a far better game

RCU005

I want MS studios to thrive and make AAA games that can compete with Sony.

Microsoft has everything to make games as good as Sony. They have all the studios too, now! What they lack is a competent management that can oversee the creation of those games.

I've been saying for years that they should go third-party and partner with Sony and other devs to make amazing games. They have so many excellent IPs, and have many devs that could come up with great ideas for new IPs.

kungfuian

No, as an owner of an XSX and PS5 I’m fully on board with MS going third party.

I can get rid of a redundant system, as Sony makes far better hardware design in general in terms of value/innovation.

I want MS studios to thrive and make AAA games that can compete with Sony. We get better games. Why would I want to boycott MS?

It seems they may be finally trying to do things to make their business operations thrive rather than bleed money while making poor games rushed out the door to compete in the “console wars”

Imagine if Starfield were delayed 2 years like they needed? Probably a far better game
A fair answer. I can totally see it from this perspective. Microsoft walking away from hardware and going 3rd party may be a good move from the perspective of gamers. Although I do think the path to get there will have left a fair amount of collateral damage and that they deserve to be called out and/or pay a monetary price for their bullshit.

Matsuchezz

The best way to boycott them is paying for gamepass ultimate and not downloading any game at all. That will fuck up their engagement metric and Phill and company will be confused and shit, then this clever move will make all the servers in the datacenters decay in a matter of days by not being used. a direct punch in their va-Yay-nas!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom