• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Killzone: Shadow Fall PS4's killer app?

Spongebob

Banned
Yes.

I have no idea how it will play but a big, shiny FPS built for the system at launch is a pretty safe bet for launch 'killer app.' Most people won't even care about gameplay they just want to see great looking stuff.

As such I think Ryse is the xbox one's as well, even if the gameplay is subpar. It will be gorgeous and that launch halo should carry it.

Forza will be the best actual game... but even though it's a large niche - sim racers only appeal to certain people. Killzone and Ryse will be big, dumb, shiny fun.
I'm sure Forza will play great, that's practically a guarantee, but I wouldn't count out Shadowfall's gameplay.

MogCakes

It won't be in the sense that it moves shitloads of PS4 units, no. SF's purpose in the lineup is to be the tech powerhouse and the front face of PS4's graphical abilities. It will however sell a lot of copies.

nib95

Banned
Absolutely. The next-gen show-case game as far as I'm concerned.

- Open ended gameplay.
- Huge levels with lots of branching paths and layers.
- Amazing scale and vistas.
- 10+ hours SP campaign length.
- Multiple ways to tackle each level (stealth, action, infiltration etc).
- Open dynamic mission objectives in many levels (do missions in any order in certain areas).
- 35fps to 40fps SP and 60fps MP.
- Native 1080p.
- Amazing production values and visuals.
- Much more emphasis on the narrative and characters.
- Complete overhaul in art and gameplay direction from previous games in the franchise.
- New OWL gameplay elements and tactics.
- No aim assist.
- Experience'less MP.
- No splash screens and logo's.
- No loading times.
- Mass array of MP options.
- Free DLC competitive maps (10 ship with the game, at least 6 more free maps to follow).
- All weapons unlocked from the get go.
- 1500+ skill based objectives and challenges in the MP.

Looks like an absolute marvel technically and gameplay wise so Yes.

10497262856_aeb43d977c_o.gif

I can't wait to see what 1st party Sony games are going to be like in a few years

Spongebob

Banned

- 1080p.
- Open ended gameplay.
- Multiple ways to tackle each level.
- Open dynamic mission objectives in many levels.
- Amazing production values ad visuals.
- Complete overhaul in art and gameplay direction from previous games in the franchise.
- No aim assist.
- Experience'less MP.
- No loading times.
- Free DLC competitive maps.
Brilliantly put Nib.

This game looks to be the complete package.

For now, yes. Regardless of how it turns out to be gameplay wise, it looks beautiful, certainly the most "next gen" thing that will be available for a while. I'm sure sales on it won't be amazing, but if PS4 buyers are looking for something to show off their new hardware, it's the obvious choice.

Between a long single player and what looks like great multiplayer, I'm certainly excited about it.

Nags

Banned
So I was thinking about this while I was in the process of actually pre-ordering SF myself, that this game seems to be the only one anyone is consistently talking about from the PS4's launch lineup. Knack is mostly being written off as a generic, uninspired cute version of God of War, Driveclub has been delayed and the third party offerings are a case of personal preference for which platform to purchase on.

So what makes a "killer app"? Is it the hype surrounding the game prior to launch? The quality of the game itself or its sales numbers? Or does a game qualify if it alone makes the purchase of a new console justified? I guess a lot of people will say "wait for reviews" but what is GAF's opinion?

I would personally say a cautious yes it is, but only until Knack proves itself to be far better than it appears.

Mondy. You are my killer app <3

Well it is the only next gen FPS exclusively for a console. I think that is a pretty big deal.

ZehDon

For me it is, but in terms of a platform agnostic pool of potential customers, I suspect it would come down to the individual's preference for FPS. While looking mighty fine, it's just not pushing the console FPS envelope like Goldeneye 007, or even the original Halo, did, where it could win over potential FPS nay-sayers. It's just a really good looking FPS with sand-box-lite elements, which to be entirely honest isn't new.

I might be mocked for this, but I suspect something more "original" like Titanfall might draw more claims of a "killer app", simply because it's doing some pretty different things to the mainstream FPS of the past generation. Personally, I feel Titanfall is just bringing the Quake 3 focus on speed back to a genre that has stagnated in the pit of pseudo-realism. The media, however, seems to think Titanfall is the most original multiplayer FPS ever made. I guess no one remembers Unreal Tournament 2004. But I digress.

I, personally, don't think Sony have shored up a "killer app" for their new console. But they're also not pushing something as hollow as Ryse as "the best thing" on the console. So, I think they're gonna be fine.

D3VI0US

Maybe for a small minority of people it is. People will pick it up because it's exclusive and it's not terrible, but I don't think it's a killer app in the sense that people will buy a console for it. I'd say price and hardware potential are the killer app more so that Killzone, people just need something to buy and it's a solid choice.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
No aim assist doesn't count for much when players move at a snail's pace.

Duxxy3

I think there is only one next gen launch game that classifies as killer app and it's not what you think it is.

It's Killer Instinct.

Admittedly the people the amount of people that are interested in the game is small, but they are absolutely buying the system for that one game.

It won't sell in big numbers, but it falls under the definition of a killer app - a piece of software that convinces people to buy hardware. Halo for classic xbox, SSBM for gamecube and Wii sports are just a few that immediately come to mind. People bought those systems JUST for those games.

I can't wait to play killzone, but it's not the sole reason for me buying a PS4. Even if Infamous was out at launch it still would not be the sole reason for me buying a PS4.

Loudninja

They are doing alot of fantastic stuff with this game as mention by nib.

They will get my support since I like KIllzone.

- 1080p.
- Open ended gameplay.
- Amazing production values ad visuals.
- No aim assist.
- Experience'less MP.
- No loading times.
- Free DLC competitive maps.
Holy shit it's like GG ran down the list of the FPS formula most people are accustomed too and said..."fuck that."

:lol

Based GG

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
No. They don't have a killer game. Knack + KZ + Driveclub together were a good spread, but now its potentially not.

I think we'll see a lot of PS4 owners (like me) pick up Call of Duty or Battlefield before picking up Killzone.

Last-gen can keep CoD or BF

I'm going KZ only, it's actually looking to be not only the best looking game at launch, but also the best playing game at launch too.

I think this is going to have great word of mouth and elevate the series.

No aim assist doesn't count for much when players move at a snail's pace.

they don't. sorry they aren't COD ninja soldiers.

Honestly I feel GG are one of the few FPS developers that are still trying to push for a MP mode that is still highly competitive.

- 1080p.
- Open ended gameplay.
- No aim assist.
- Experience'less MP.
- No loading times.
- Free DLC competitive maps (10 ship with the game, at least 6 more free maps to follow).

It has all this yet I feel it still won't get the general audience's attention/credit

I've never played a Killzone game. I hope it's good because it's the game I got bundlefucked with. No other retail exclusives interest me.

Persona7

Banned
I'll try it when I get a PS4 in a year or two but Killzone 2 really soured me on the series. I did try Killzone 3 and it was better than Killzone 2 so they are on the right track.

Valnen

I think there is only one next gen launch game that classifies as killer app and it's not what you think it is.

It's Killer Instinct.

Admittedly the people the amount of people that are interested in the game is small, but they are absolutely buying the system for that one game.

It won't sell in big numbers, but it falls under the definition of a killer app - a piece of software that convinces people to buy hardware. Halo for classic xbox, SSBM for gamecube and Wii sports are just a few that immediately come to mind. People bought those systems JUST for those games.

I can't wait to play killzone, but it's not the sole reason for me buying a PS4. Even if Infamous was out at launch it still would not be the sole reason for me buying a PS4.
People should be very wary of Killer Instinct. It's not exactly being made by people with a proven track record.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

- 1080p.
- Open ended gameplay.
- No aim assist.
- Experience'less MP.
- No loading times.

And it comes out right along side CoD and Battlefield 4.

Tough break for KZ.

Vire

I guess by default given the production values and exclusive nature.

Killzone isn't a particularly big franchise in comparison to sales of Call of Duty/Halo/BF, but it certainly isn't a slouch (I mean they made 4 console games after all).

So it's a solid game to get the ball rolling, but I wouldn't say it's something that most people specifically buy the system just to play. It's a nice value add. Whenever Naughty Dog or Sony Santa Monica's games roll around, THAT is what I would define as a "Killer App". System sellers if you will.

Spongebob

Banned
No because BF4 and CoDG will dominate the FPS market. Hell AC4, BF4, CoD, and maybe even a sports game might outsell KZ.
They'll outsell KZ when current-gen sales are taken into account, but I'm willing to bet that KZ will be the best selling game when only looking at next-gen sales.

Sojgat

What else is there?

It is the most visually stunning next gen launch game, and easily the most interesting looking Killzone ever. Put it this way, without Shadow fall, I would probably be holding off on my PS4 purchase well into next year (or at least until Infamous launches).

satam55

Banned
No because BF4 and CoDG will dominate the FPS market.

Preorders numbers of KZ:SF are holding its own with the PS4 version of BF4 & CoD:Dogs. None of the Xbox1 launch exclusives are touching KZ: SF. So I see no reason this game can't be a Killer launch app.

MavFan619

Banned
For me the second I saw Killzone I knew I wanted PS4. But it's relative to what's a pretty thin launch exclusives wise. Looks great either way.

Eoin

People should be very wary of Killer Instinct. It's not exactly being made by people with a proven track record.

Very wary? We know more about this game than any other launch title and it looks top notch. Half of GAF seems to have played the game and have all come back with glowing impressions. Are you expecting DH the day before launch to go "fuck it, lets ship the other shit version we were making in secret".

GQman2121

Banned
I'm getting KZ, but I'm really not a fan of what they did with KZ2. Game was beyond dull to me. Never played KZ3.

When the dust settles, I think we might look back at Knack as a pleasant surprise.

One thing that is guaranteed is that the sports games (Madden/NBA) are going to do very well on both platforms.

Valnen

Very wary? We know more about this game than any other launch title and it looks top notch. Half of GAF seems to have played the game and have all come back with glowing impressions. Are you expecting DH the day before launch to go "fuck it, lets ship the other shit version we were making in secret".

I'll wait for SRK impressions in the release build. I don't trust Double Helix to really know what they're doing when it comes to making a competitive fighting game.

Tagg9

Yeah, I guess. I was looking forward to BF4 on PS4, but the footage so far seems really underwhelming.

I'm hoping the Killzone MP experience @ 1080p60fps meets expectations.

UNCMark

Banned
Not for me. I've played the others and came away underwhelmed. For me the killer app is the hardware itself and Resogun. Sony SM or Naughty Dog will deliver the first killer app most likely. Probably next holiday.

Spongebob

Banned
Not for me. I've played the others and came away underwhelmed. For me the killer app is the hardware itself and Resogun. Sony SM or Naughty Dog will deliver the first killer app most likely. Probably next holiday.
Just my opinion, but Infamous: Second Son screams killer app.

Yes.

I have no idea how it will play but a big, shiny FPS built for the system at launch is a pretty safe bet for launch 'killer app.' Most people won't even care about gameplay they just want to see great looking stuff.

As such I think Ryse is the xbox one's as well, even if the gameplay is subpar. It will be gorgeous and that launch halo should carry it.

Forza will be the best actual game... but even though it's a large niche - sim racers only appeal to certain people. Killzone and Ryse will be big, dumb, shiny fun.

I don't know if KZ:SF will do it. It's better than anything MS has at launch, but it's not XB:OG Halo situation.

Top Bottom