• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Knuckles the Echidna's feminist statement accurate?

MrBadger

yes

ea4.jpg

i don't when the writers started going nuts with the show but man i love it

I thought it was a coincidence, then I saw Sonic's arms

Rookhelm

the pic in the OP comes across as an anti-SJW statement disguised as a positive statement.

reminds me of the sentiments that racism and sexism don't really exist and that by pointing it out, YOU'RE the real racist/sexist

junpei

Neogaf is the only place I've seen that sees this negative. I've seen other pro-gender equality people claiming it's a nice message for kids.

but that was a good episode? go watch it, it's not just a strawman, you actually get female characters telling that you should follow the law regardless of your gender, and that they used a historical example of a female person not wanting to be treated special as a sign of equality

obviously real life is more complex, but that explanation is pretty valid

Well the creator of that episode hates it so you are are wrong about it just being just neogaf .

https://youtu.be/tnJxqRLg9x0?t=3m4s

Kind of a weird thing for a children's show to poke fun at someone with a mental illness, no?

i mean they said the character wasn't based on anybody in particular and the whole blue arms thing wasn't just from Chris Chan

like other people have said he is more of a general representation of the weirder side of the fanbase

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
About this, someone told me that because the translating was wonky during that era, it's suppose to read that Eggman is a "womanizer." Not a "feminist"

Yeah, I know lol
I don't know if I believe either.

Wil348

In an ideal world, where the status quo didn't entail distinctions between gender to any capacity, Knuckles would be right. However, we don't live in that kind of world, so I cannot say I agree with his statement.

The scene is funny as hell though, I will say that. Sonic Boom is a social commentary goldmine.

cHaotix8

10 pages of analyzing Knuckles "I don't chuckle, I'd rather flex my muscles" the Echidnas feminist philosophy from a Sonic Boom clip. Only on NeoGaf.

I read every page, it was great.

Onivulk

Banned
I think people are looking into this way too deeply. It seems like it was trying to send a good message and had mixed results.

It's awesome that it tried at all.

Christ, I'm feeling an itch to watch a Sonic cartoon. It might be the fever I have, but...

fuck....
Same here, I might actually find the time to watch the show. The game might be bad but the TV show seems like a decent comedy show from the clips I have seen on YT.

About this, someone told me that because the translating was wonky during that era, it's suppose to read that Eggman is a "womanizer." Not a "feminist"

Yeah, I know lol

There's a bit of Telephone going on there. It's actually true that Japan has "feminist" as a loanword for womanizer. But it says nothing about that in the original text. The whole "romanticist, feminist, gentleman" paragraph was actually an addition by the localization team.

It wouldn't make any sense in context for it to be describing Eggman as a womanizer there anyway, because the whole point of the paragraph is to illustrate his affable/sympathetic qualities.

Not

Banned
but this is how feminists are mischaracterized so that they can easily be dismissed.

He's saying he agrees that all men can't do anything right

Regarding the collective output of the gender as a whole in regards to conflicts and misdeeds over the period when women had little to no control over world affairs, I'd call that inconclusive

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Christ, I'm feeling an itch to watch a Sonic cartoon. It might be the fever I have, but...

fuck....
Same here, I might actually find the time to watch the show. The game might be bad but the TV show seems like a decent comedy show from the clips I have seen on YT.

Few episodes I've seen here and there puts it in a watchable table for me.

Good lord season one though. It's crap.

but this is how feminists are mischaracterized so that they can easily be dismissed.

You do realize that the villain is a strawman right? That's the whole point of the episode, they show a strawman and the others reacting to it.

What people here miss is that the episode isn't just about the strawman.

Dan-o

I've watched six episodes of this now (well... That's 12 I guess?)
Anyway... LOL... this is great. Reminds me of Phineas and Ferb in some little ways (please, don't read too much into this)

The episode with the translator bot had my wife and I laughing hard. Great stuff!

Top Bottom