• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is PC the best gaming platform this generation?

TxKnight7

PC has games from microsoft from sony even some from nintendo all in one system and more to come!, this year we are going to play Hellblade 2, indiana jones, Avowed ,MFS24 and Stalker 2 all in day one! and maybe on Game-Pass?, it is really my prefered platform for many reasons! what about you?

MsfCpdZ.jpg

JMynERj.jpg

I Already beat most of those games on PC for the first time do you think sony will go day and date in the future?
i am also thinking of buying a steam deck or something more powerful to enjoy the games on the go!

kEVnoYw.jpg

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Whatever apples and oranges.
I play on ps5 the most because I just like playing on a console.

Is a ferrari faster than kia? yes. of course it is. I still prefer to drive kia on the daily
edit: Me buying new kia has everything to do with that statement lol

Last edited:

Stuart360

Has been for a long time, and its looking increasingly likely that it will be THE place to be if you're a gamer as more of these console related announcements happen..
A ridiculously massive library already with more than its fair share of AA and Indie exclusives. All third party AAA games, all Xbox games, Soon to be all Playstation games (imo), and you can even run most Nintendo games on emulation.
Mods, cheats, trainers, play games at what settings you want, with controller or K/M, waaay cheaper games than console if you know where to look, free online, by FAR the best versions of games if you have the hardware, etc, etc, etc

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Yes
Switch has the best games but over all got to go with pc.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

Yes! PC is king. Freedom, higher FPS and resolution, mods, incredible amount of great games.
I like consoles too, and have owed almost everyone since the NES, but these days they're getting closer and closer to a feeling like low spec PC's without the freedom that a PC gives.

Nintendo is the only one keeping that old "console feeling" going for me, but i'd be very happy if they also started releasing their games on PC like the other console makes.
I'm always looking forward to getting the newest consoles, but 90% of my gaming is on PC.

When new games like Dragons Dogma runs in 30 fps on console, and I can play it in 60-120 in 4K on my PC.. well, thats a pretty easy choice. And we'll surely see more and more of that going forward.
The combo of a good desktop and a handheld PC, which easily functions as a console too (Legion go for me) is just perfect.

Still have my Gamecube connected to the old CRT TV though. That console is so awesome.

reinking

Gold Member
Over all? It has always been the most flexible platform. Xbox going day one has helped popularize it even more. Of course, that goes out the window if you like Nintendo games or PlayStation game day one (at least for now).

Mortisfacio

My setup is flexible for desk + MKB or couch/bed play on the TV with a controller, so yah, PC gives me the options I want + the library of games I want. I own consoles, but only the kids play them.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Steam deck was a total game changer for me. A free handheld version of every game makes me not want to buy things anywhere else, so I don’t.

Switch is also amazing tho and has a crazy lineup of exclusives.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
not for me, console forever!!!!
My old gaming PC (2070s) just to play some really good indie PC exclusive games.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Whatever apples and oranges.
I play on ps5 the most because I just like playing on a console.

Is a ferrari faster than kia? yes. of course it is. I still prefer to drive kia on the daily
edit: Me buying new kia has everything to do with that statement lol
Kias are awesome. I always thought they were a shit brand because I thought they were affiliated with IKEA but they’re great.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Kias are awesome. I always thought they were a shit brand because I thought they were affiliated with IKEA but they’re great.
good to hear. The reputation is mixed but their reputation in last few years is changing.
Both hyundai and kia cars look awesome nowadays

PC is always the best gaming platform throughout all of gaming history but you spend a lot more for the privilege and it's not plug and play like a console

Last edited:

Stuart360

Overpriced GPUs that cost double the price of a console, microstutter everywhere and majority of games being broken on release...?

No thanks.
Except its not like any of that at all.

I mean yes its more expensive, but like anything in life, you get what you pay for, and i dont think anyone has ever tried to deny that. It doesnt change the facts about PC being better though.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
PC isn't going to be the best choice for everybody. If you don't want to spend more than a few hundred dollars for a gaming system, or you absolutely do not want to deal with troubleshooting, or you simply want the most convenient plug-and-play solution, then yeah, console is going to be more appropriate for you. And that's why all these fanboy-fueled meltdowns about consoles going extinct because of PC ports are absolutely ludicrous.

Speaking personally, though, I think PC is far and away the most enjoyable and satisfying platform. The ability to tweak settings to your preference, to use a huge variety of mods to enrich your experience, even something as simple as being able to use your choice of input device ... you don't really get that on consoles or handhelds or mobile.

Bkdk

Always has been due to the ability to customize your experience through mods and trainer. A lot of the time even just a no carry weight/increase movement speed/game speed, simple functions offered by trainers could make a huge difference of making a game worth playing or not. PC has been absolute king for gaming all the time and I still play on pc primarily during the darkest time for the platform, around 2008-2012, that was the time when mass majority of gamers say pc is dead lol. What surprised me is how so many people able to enjoy playing games with such little customization options. I only play a few JRPG on consoles if they don’t have pc version but I sure wish I could play them all on pc day 1.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
My personal nicest surprise this gen has been either Steam deck or Rog Ally. But you're missing out on many games if you're playing exclusively on PC. PC and consoles are complementary of each other. But then I found most games are cheaper being played on console but also to run better than on PC. For exemple Elden Ring or Darktide.

Top Bottom