• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's been 10yrs since a Frenchman gave an Italian man head

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Man, if not for that he could have had another trophy. It's a shame he went out like that, dude was a legend.

It was so famous that it provoked a statue.

Zinedine+Zidane+headbutt+head-butt+Paris+Pompidou+Marco+Materazzi++Statue+Sculpture+3.jpg
Zidane is immortalized forever as headbutting Materazzi who is falling like a squeeling little bitch that he is. France losing was worth it.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
alyssa-milano-fans-herself-gif_zps60b7a6d0.gif

Gracious.

Who is that and where is this from?
And yeah, head butts rock

This would be Alyssa Milano.

That scene I believe is from the Wicka Witch television series "Charmed". Here Alyssa plays one of three sister witches who has the ability to foretell the future among other powers. Either it's from an episode about an unnaturally hot day in California or she's mind linked with someone who's having sex. Or both. It's been too long since I watched the shows.

Don't judge me.

HarryKS

Match was never going to go France's way after Buffon's incredible save from Zidane's header. It's just one of things you know as a football player. If that doesn't go in, it's gonna be one of them days.

I was in Rome watching this with all the Italians and I distinctly remember this. The entire crowd just fell silent and then rage ensued. Keep in mind, I'm from America and was completely oblivious to everything soccer (football) related. This event shook me and the entire country. We all felt that head butt.

Match was never going to go France's way after Buffon's incredible save from Zidane's header. It's just one of things you know as a football player. If that doesn't go in, it's gonna be one of them days.

+ the French manager subbed out Thierry Henry late in the game that deprived them of a potential PK kicker

going into Extra Time, it was the manager's job to manage his squad in case of potential PKs

Zidane is still the best football player ever to live.

Anyways the red card didnt effect the game at the end because it ended with penalties
+ the French manager subbed out Thierry Henry late in the game that deprived them of a potential PK kicker

going into Extra Time, it was the manager's job to manage his squad in case of potential PKs

Yeah but the one that missed was trezeguet. Also a solid shooter

StMeph

Zidane is still the best football player ever to live.

Anyways the red card didnt effect the game at the end because it ended with penalties

Yeah but the one that missed was trezeguet. Also a solid shooter

PKs are weird, we witnessed Ozil, Schweinsteiger and Muller miss in Quarter Finals of Euro 2016, and Germany still managed to beat Italy in PKs

Koren

Wow. No one knows who Alyssa Milano is anymore... 😐
I'm also surprised... I mean, I'm feeling old just because I know her from "Who's the boss" (lthough I've barely seen a dozen episodes thirty years ago), but I thought Charmed, for example, was popular enough...

Anth0ny

crazy it's been 10 years already. what an amazing day that was in Toronto. pure celebration for the entire day.

Peléo;210690585 said:
I will never understand why Zidane, from all the possible ways of hitting someone, went with a headbutt.

There is no more profound way of establishing dominance than a firm headbutt

So I've see this thread has gone into gawking at women, chances are it gets closed.

Nevertheless, this was probably the first interaction I had with international soccer, and probably one of the earliest wide reaching memes in the Youtube age.

Daedardus

I knew what it was going to be before I clicked the thread.

Still salty that the referee used video even though it wasn't allowed.

One of my biggest disappointment in Football ever, I was 10 at the time and Zizou was my idol...

To be honest, it was still a blatant foul and a deserved red card, I would be more salty if this would go unpunished.

What's even better is that a headbutt to the sternum probably caused WAY more pain and trauma than one to the head. Sternum hits are fucking awful and can stop your breathing.

Moze

Banned
Zidane was god level throughout that whole tournament. He left the tournament the best way he possibly could have. He entertained more people with that head butt than he would if he won the world cup.

But seriously, Zidane was so good during the tournament. Especially vs Brazil.

Surely it isn't 10 years though? 20th seems a bit late for the final.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Zidane was god level throughout that whole tournament. He left the tournament the best way he possibly could have. He entertained more people with that head butt than he would if he won the world cup.

He was. Won Golden Ball for Player of the Tournament despite losing in the finals and getting the red card.

Alx

He took some time to warm up though. IIRC after the first matches with so-so results, many (including myself) were thinking that the team from 98 was just too old and should have left room for younger players with sharper teeth.
I actually think that Zidane got pissed off by such claims and upped his game 110% for the next games. :D When the team started playing at great level, the supporters even switched the "allez les bleus !" to "allez les vieux !".

My oh my, how time files. I still remember being at an Italian Cafe with my family and how shocked everyone in the Cafe was when we first saw Zidane headbutting Materazzi. I don't think anyone could forget that moment.

I will say this, if Zidane hadn't lost the plot and gotten himself sent off, then the French likely would have defeated us in extras. IIRC the French had the momentum before the headbutt.

Tarsul

in my opinion it manifested his legacy even more. I still have the most respect for Zidane. As it was, Zidane had his world cup win already, he didn't need to prove anything to anyone - except to Materazzi...

It was quite memorable that Trezeguet shot basically the same penalty as Zidane did earlier in the game, only that Trezeguet's crossbar deflection bounced out of the goal.

Morat

Banned
That title.

Anyways, I was in Rome that night. Ended up swimming in the Trevi fountain along side some polizia. Although the Carabinieri id do some beating later.

Bersi

it was july the 9th infact.

in my opinion it manifested his legacy even more. I still have the most respect for Zidane. As it was, Zidane had his world cup win already, he didn't need to prove anything to anyone - except to Materazzi...

It was quite memorable that Trezeguet shot basically the same penalty as Zidane did earlier in the game, only that Trezeguet's crossbar deflection bounced out of the goal.

The same person that ruined our hopes and dreams in 2000, ended up being the only man who missed his penalty in 2006. I call it retribution personally.

The Zidane thing is memorable for sure but can the thread get derailed and become "the Alyssa Milano hot gif gaf cavalcade" pretty pls?

Nibel

The true GOAT

Kept it real til the very last minute, not taking any hostages, la familia above everything
wowrwjxf.png

They don't know about Alyssa but do they know about Alyssa 2.0 who was around for a shorter period of time, Nikki Cox
Nikki-Cox-plastic-surgery6-480x360.jpg

Before she ruined herself and married Jay Mohr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom