• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itsuno teases Dragon's Dogma sequel on PS4 [also talks DMC5 and Rival Schools 3]

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
DMC5???

tumblr_lws711jBko1qf40tn.gif

Do it Capcom, i miss Uncle Dante.

Did someone say Rival Schools 3?????????????????????

OHGODOHGODOHGODOHGOD x 100000000000000000000000000000

I would die.

Mobile High School sim, console fighting game. Boom, best of both worlds.
They need to bump up he sim elements by a million in Rival Schools 3. That's what makes Rival Schools so unique, and the Japanese market would lap it up.

vg260

I'm not getting my hopes up. On any of this news, really. Not that I wouldn't take a proper return to the DMC universe and a Dragon's Dogma with (hopefully) better performance.

Capcom done hurt me before.

Just don't treat it as news. It's pretty much just a producer saying what he'd like to do.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
I'd LOVE to see DD2, with lock-on and no tedious backtracking please.

Karak

As far as Itsuno, this just sounds like a wishlist. Although why Dragon's Dogma isn't on the books for a sequel is shocking to me..

Me too. So puzzling but the numbers I guess just didn't add up. He basically states pretty clearly there isn't going to be support for an Xbox One version either so that would be interesting as an exclusive of a proven game versus Deep Down.

sörine

Banned
Considering that I had trouble finding copies of Dark Arisen on release, along with the fact that Dark Arisen did than less than 58K on its first month in the US and with barely any presence on the European sales charts, it's definite that Dark Arisen sold the most in Japan.
I found it, Dark Arisen shipped 550,000 worldwide. 1,300,000 + 550,000 = 1,850,000 worldwide shipments.

Japanese sellthrough (Famitsu) was 470,141 (PS3) + 200,762 (PS3 DA) + 32,506 (360) + 7,861 (360 DA) = 711,270 total Japanese sales.

Even assuming an extra 10-20% shipped over sellthrough Japan fails to make up 50% of Dragon's Dogma overall shipments. Western markets were clearly not insignificant for the game.

Dantard

Neo Member
As someone else said, DMC5 is unlikely to happen, because that's exactly what we want...

With that said though, if it DID happen... Then dammit Itsuno, bring the Sparda sword from DMC1 back! Let me use it again! (I wouldn't mind being able to play as the Legendary Dark Knight Sparda himself either!)

At this rate, I just want Capcom to do something good; perhaps that'll convince me to support them again. But given their increasingly worse management that is already terrible, can't say I'm very optimistic.

Kusano123

Neo Member
As much as I LOVE to have another Rival School .......but really guys, it could just be another game on the IOS at this point.

: (

klee123

sörine;86960797 said:
I found it, Dark Arisen shipped 550k worldwide. 1.3m + 550k = 1.85m worldwide shipments.

Japanese sellthrough (Famitsu) was 470,141 (PS3) + 200,762 (PS3 DA) + 32,506 (360) + 7,861 (360) = 711,270 total Japanese sales.

Even assuming an extra 10-20% shipped over sellthrough Japan fails to make up 50% of Dragon's Dogma overall shipments. Western markets were clearly not insignificant for the game.

Problem is that whilst they may have shipped more outside of Japan, we don't know how much is shipped in Japan vs the rest of the world. However for just Japan, selling 40% of the total number of copies is definitely more significant considering that the other 60 is split into many countries. You also need to consider that 711K figure is the sold to consumers figure and the shipped number in Japan may be higher as well.

That said, the original argument is that someone mentioned that 360 version sold as much as the PS3 version is false due to the strong sales in Japan.

Lucent

I hope for a next-gen DMC that picks up after DMC4 with Nero or Dante. I wouldn't mind both, but just don't pad the game by making us go through the same areas and bosses over again.

And as for Dragon's Dogma, just give a little more thought to the story next time. I really didn't like having the king through me in jail and then not even react to me when I walked out of it and just came up to him shortly after. Was just bad. The combat was great. The pawn system was a neat idea, but I wish they would've talked a little less and that you could co-op with friends if you wanted. That's my hope for t he sequel.

TnK

Is Dragon's Dogma THAT good? Saw my brother playing it, and it never really caught my attention. It actually looked boring really.

If they do release DMC5, I would like them to add more life to the world. As much as I love DMC4, the world always felt dead. That, and make the game really hard. DMC4 is somewhat of a joke in the difficulty department. Make it something like MGRR. Son of Sparda and DMD were nowhere near Hard and DMD of DMC3 (talking about non SE here).

A Rival Schools 3 would be awesome as I never played the original series back in the day for some odd reason, and I never skipped on Capcom games in those days.

Skilletor

Is Dragon's Dogma THAT good? Saw my brother playing it, and it never really caught my attention. It actually looked boring really.

If they do release DMC5, I would like them to add more life to the world. As much as I love DMC4, the world always felt dead. That, and make the game really hard. DMC4 is somewhat of a joke in the difficulty department. Make it something like MGRR. Son of Sparda and DMD were nowhere near Hard and DMD of DMC3 (talking about non SE here).

A Rival Schools 3 would be awesome as I never played the original series back in the day for some odd reason, and I never skipped on Capcom games in those days.

It's a very flawed gem. The battle system, the monsters, the animation, the sense of exploration and danger are all amazing.

However, there's very few monsters, a lot of palette swaps, a lack of variety in locations (everything looks the same), and for some the story sucks (which matters not a whit to me), there is a lack of fast travel and a semi-poor substitute for the feature in waystones (teleportation places you get a limited number of that you can place everywhere) It meant a lot of backtracking which wasn't a problem in the beginning of the game, but definitely could become an issue for some as progression wears on.

I think that it has by far the best classes I've ever seen in a fantasy action RPG. I have never had more fun than I did with a mystik archer. I have never felt more powerful as a mage than I did in Dragon's Dogma. The game has some of the best animations I've ever seen.

I personally think it's the best thing Capcom has done in years. It is hampered by poor performance on consoles (shitty fps on ps3, tons of tearing on xbox as per the norm with MT framework games), but it was worth it for me. It is a game I can play over and over again because of how diverse the playstyles of every class is. I would be there day 1 for a sequel with no questions.

TnK

It's a very flawed gem. The battle system, the monsters, the animation, the sense of exploration and danger are all amazing.

However, there's very few monsters, a lot of palette swaps, a lack of variety in locations (everything looks the same), and for some the story sucks (which matters not a whit to me), there is a lack of fast travel and a semi-poor substitute for the feature in waystones (teleportation places you get a limited number of that you can place everywhere) It meant a lot of backtracking which wasn't a problem in the beginning of the game, but definitely could become an issue for some as progression wears on.

I think that it has by far the best classes I've ever seen in a fantasy action RPG. I have never had more fun than I did with a mystik archer. I have never felt more powerful as a mage than I did in Dragon's Dogma. The game has some of the best animations I've ever seen.

I personally think it's the best thing Capcom has done in years. It is hampered by poor performance on consoles (shitty fps on ps3, tons of tearing on xbox as per the norm with MT framework games), but it was worth it for me. It is a game I can play over and over again because of how diverse the playstyles of every class is. I would be there day 1 for a sequel with no questions.

I will give the game a try then. Though horrible FPS is a major issue for me, which is why I actually want to see a PC release for this game. Capcom has had some really good PC ports, and it makes no sense not releasing DD on PC.

sörine

Banned
Problem is that whilst they may have shipped more outside of Japan, we don't know how much is shipped in Japan vs the rest of the world. However for just Japan, selling 40% of the total number of copies is definitely more significant considering that the other 60 is split into many countries. You also need to consider that 711K figure is the sold to consumers figure and the shipped number in Japan may be higher as well.

That said, the original argument is that someone mentioned that 360 version sold as much as the PS3 version is false due to the strong sales in Japan.
I addressed that, it's very doubtful Japan shipments being more than 20% over sellthrough given Capcom's positive comments about the region. It's possible more units sold through in Japan than in the west but with no real hard numbers for the west outside a first NPD leak it's nearly impossible to claim either way. What's almost certain though is that both versions of DD shipped more outside Japan than inside. That means western markets are not insignificant. Without them the project overall would've been a failure given the massive scope of it's development costs. Japan alone can't support a game like DD.

I agree PS3 sales were obviously higher due to Japan. That wasn't what I took issue with.

Top Bottom