• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jade Raymond to Be Honored with Special Award at The NY Video Game Awards

dirthead

Banned
I want to see the receipts beyond her looks and gender as your humble opinion sees them at that, sorry.

I want to see legitimate proof of work receipts. People keep repeating the nebulous "built teams" phrase even though there's really no indication that she did anything. What did "building a team" entail for her? She personally tracked down and enlisted every hire? The teams only ended up being good because she hired people? It's bullshit and I think most people realize it.

lol yes she is nothing more than a "project manager". you know, that really easy job that means nothing at all?

idg do people think Todd Howard is coding every spoon that can be picked up and moved around in his games? no, the guy is a project manager. he oversees a project. it's something that you do when working on a large project. Richard Garriott wasn't personally drawing the portraits for every character in his Ultima games. hey maybe all these dudes are coasting on their easy project manager jobs too.

personally im stunned Todd Howard can keep his job without the obvious benefit of being a woman but maybe "It just works" is not just empty talk and is in fact the sign of a stunning visionary.

Well to be fair Todd Howard kind of looks like a stock photo model too.

files%2F140932165%2F550269.jpg

swWEiCLgEx9AieavHDpRgM.jpg

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
The funny thing is that producers are actually one of the least important roles in AAA games. They're such a circus that they're basically chaos, and people don't even understand what happened when one turns out well. This is why most of them bomb. It's true that no single person is much of a big deal when it comes to developing a huge game, but it's also true that the artists, sound designers, programmers, etc. are by far the most important resources.

Miyamoto "produced" Yoshi's Story for the N64. Yeah.
And THIS....is exactly whats wrong with gamers. Let me ask; do you have ANY experience within the development process at all at a professional level?

What I mean is.........do you have a PAID position ANYWHERE in gaming - as far as pre, production, post or marketing.......AT ALL????

dirthead

Banned
And THIS....is exactly whats wrong with gamers. Let me ask; do you have ANY experience within the development process at all at a professional level?

What I mean is.........do you have a PAID position ANYWHERE in gaming - as far as pre, production, post or marketing.......AT ALL????

I have and yeah, producers are a fucking joke. What's hilarious is that a producer's main job is essentially scheduling and yet crunch is ubiquitous. So that means that producers are largely incompetent or it's impossible to schedule video game development, either of which mean that the producer's role in game dev is fairly limited.

It's a not so well kept secret that producer is a role in game companies that crappy people get thrown in when they don't want them to be able to do any real damage.

Gavon West

I have and yeah, producers are a fucking joke. What's hilarious is that a producer's main job is essentially scheduling and yet crunch is ubiquitous. So that means that producers are largely incompetent or it's impossible to schedule video game development, either of which mean that the producer's role in game dev is fairly limited.

It's a not so well kept secret that producer is a role in game companies that crappy people get thrown in when they don't want them to be able to do any real damage.
Before we even get in to the second part of your post, may I ask what your position was? How did you contribute to the creation of any one IP on a major level?

The fact that you said that producers are largely incompetent makes me EXTREMELY skeptical. If the position wasnt necessary, it simply wouldn't exist/or have existed for decades now. I personally dont work in the gaming industry but I do work in motion pictures and have produced myself. A Producers job is EXTREMELY necessary.

Can you answer the question?

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
Before we even get in to the second part of your post, may I ask what your position was? How did you contribute to the creation of any one IP on a major level?

The fact that you said that producers are largely incompetent makes me EXTREMELY skeptical. If the position wasnt necessary, it simply wouldn't exist/or have existed for decades now.

Cute. You actually think that enormous companies don't have tons of dead weight that gets lost in the shuffle.

Been in the game industry and... yup.

Gavon West

Been in the game industry and... yup.
Incredible. So you think even a job as seemingly as minute as scheduling "doesnt amount to much?" Like dead lines dont matter??? LOL! You guys are ridiculous.

Do you know how much time and money would be wasted if deadlines for resources and financing didnt exist? Do you have any idea the amount of talent that would simply hover with no direction or goals to be obtained by set time frame? Would there be talent at all, what would they do EXACTLY? What's their job description during each project? Each project is different and can change from job to job. Some wear multiple hats. Do you simply throw scheduling and obtaining resources and financing onto one of the developers because....reason? The producer is as much of an orchestrator as a director on movie productions. I cant imagine it being too much difference when speaking on game development as well. SOMEONE has to produce - regulate time, money, talent etc and stay on top of it THROUGHOUT the time span of the process. SOMEONE has to do that particular job. The more responsibility you throw on one position that isnt specific to that position, can harm production - greatly.

Guess what I'm saying is.....all this supposed "experience in game development" coming out of the wood works is skeptical at best.

Moving on I suppose. Next....

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
your not making any sense tho. how do you know?
I'm making perfect sense based on her career and projects she has handled.
Your the one that is suggesting she's getting an award for stuff people don't know about.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Producers do different jobs depending on the company/project so some people here are trying to divine it from their preconceived notion and also unwittingly buy into lead designer as auteur when most games just don't get made like that. Maybe awards such as this also buy into that mythmaking but it's largely inconsequential beyond it fitting in a whiny resentful political narrative hiding behind fidelity to the true craft of games development.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
She's nothing more than a good looking project manager. Nothing wrong with that, but it's obvious that she wouldn't get this reward if she wasn't a women. I mean, she can't even keep a job.

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

So many dudes just hate women. WOW! Do you guys even love your mother?

Incredible. So you think even a job as seemingly as minute as scheduling "doesnt amount to much?" Like dead lines dont matter??? LOL! You guys are ridiculous.
I can only speak for myself, but my experience in the game industry did not leave me with a particularly positive image of game producers. In fact, I don't think I've met anyone more incompetent and a bigger waste of space in my life, and I have Comcast.

The producer is as much of an orchestrator as a director on movie productions.
Please excuse me as I break character here for a moment... No jokes, no shitposting... This is not what a producer in the game industry is. It's basically a title which implies some authority, but there's not like an explicit set of duties that a producer does. Here's how it worked at my particular place of employment.

The game's idea and direction came down from on high. We were a development house wholly owned by one of the big publishers, and they wanted to continue their highly profitable line of games with yearly releases. We were tasked with making the sequel to another game. The publisher had a designer on their side which was basically in charge, and whom we would send weekly builds and milestone versions to for review and comment. His comments would be relayed to the producer, who would relay this information to our lead programmer, from which we took our scheduling and marching orders. We had our own designer who was hired because his brother worked there, and was just as big a waste of space as the producer. His design document was three pages long and looked like the book report of a middle schooler. For the majority of the time I was there, we had no direction that wasn't directly related to the immediate milestone, as decided by the publisher's guy.

As near as I could tell, our producer was in charge of hiring and firing, and largely operated as a middle man between the publisher and our team. He spent the majority of his time in the break room playing Xbox games, and when we needed something, we quickly learned that the associate producer was the one to talk to. Based on talking with other people in the industry at the time, my experience doesn't seem particularly uncommon. It's been almost two decades though, so who knows? Maybe things have changed? Do they still have crunch time?

After leaving the game industry, I did pick up some contract work writing for games - a much, much more pleasant experience - and I largely dealt with the game's director (this was an auteur game(s), so the director was the creative and technical lead). I also was in email contact with the game's producer, who basically handled my invoices and getting me paychecks. While I don't particularly have anything unpleasant to say about the producer as a person, he wasn't really a driving force on the project at all.

The game industry is really terrible about what titles mean (there's no union to enforce rules about these sort of things), so a producer can be anyone from the creative lead and game designer to a glorified middleman, relaying communication between the real game developers. I think that at larger companies, like EA, Activision, and Ubisoft, the producer's position likely trends towards the latter - but I can't say for sure. If Jade Raymond's title is "producer" then there's almost nothing you can assume about her actual duties on games. And that's why I think this award is silly. Nobody actually knows what she does. Just that she is a producer, which, to use a sports analogy, could be anything from towel boy to head coach. Although, in her particular case, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, I'm leaning more towards mascot.

We're talking about a ceremony that has a completely incoherent selection of video games producers and directors, so her being rewarded is irrelevant and of course a PR stunt.

But then it removes nothing from her production and executive jobs for the few franchise she's worked on.

We can criticize the people giving her the award, but let's refrain from attacking her (re: comparing her picture to a stock photo, etc.). Otherwise we are worse than the people we're criticizing.

I do think, considering her successful yet relatively unremarkable career (at least compared to many other industry vets), that this is more of a "inclusiveness" award than an achievement award. What makes her stand out from all the other producers that make successful games? If your only answer is, she's one of the few women doing it, then you are using her gender to measure her achievements.

Also, the NY VG CC isn't even trying to hide it. Per the press release, "While the games Jade has helped create have been trailblazing, her contributions as an industry leader have been equally noteworthy: Jade has been a clear voice and important example in making the game business more inclusive. Serving on the board of directors of the AIAS dedicated to the advancement and recognition of the interactive arts as well as other boards such as WIFT, dedicated to the advancement of women in screen-based industries. Jade is a frequent speaker on the topic of diversity and inclusivity in entertainment." Source: https://nygamecritics.com/2019/01/02/awards-jade-raymond-will-receive-our-legend-award-on-1-22-19/

It's funny because the award itself is, according to them, "to recognize people and organizations that have exhibited a significant, sustained body of work that shows exceptional artistic achievement and innovation." It doesn't mention anything about social agendas, but here we are.

McCheese

She's nothing more than a good looking project manager. Nothing wrong with that

She started her career as a C developer working on some of the backwards compatibility stuff over at Sony, she genuinely loves games, understands how games are built and taught herself how to run some of the largest dev teams on the planet. Also remember when all the nerds were fawning over her back in the day and she just got on with her job instead of trying to play the victim? talent and professionalism, and you guys are salty about her getting an award?

We need more Jade's in the industry, this award is completely deserved and is nothing to do with her being a 'woman'.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

So many dudes just hate women. WOW! Do you guys even love your mother?

I love women. I just don't think this particular one deserves an award.

She started her career as a C developer working on some of the backwards compatibility stuff over at Sony, she genuinely loves games, understands how games are built and taught herself how to run some of the largest dev teams on the planet. Also remember when all the nerds were fawning over her back in the day and she just got on with her job instead of trying to play the victim? talent and professionalism, and you guys are salty about her getting an award?

We need more Jade's in the industry, this award is completely deserved and is nothing to do with her being a 'woman'.

I disagree. There are handfuls of other producers who have had a bigger impact on gaming and have produced better games who did not receive this award. I'm not saying she isn't talented at what she does, I'm just saying that she gets way more attention because she is a) female and b) attractive.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy

If you just want to know what you are up against:

August 2018:
''I've fixed bugs in MAME, added new features to it, made some games, written some emulation utilities, and bought hundreds of games supporting the industry.''

January 2019:
''Developers are basically always wrong about games. Amusingly, developers usually suck at their own games and don't even get what people like about them.'' (Verbatim)

If he is a developer like he states he is, then he is basically playing himself with that statement.

Can you answer the question......please?
He isn't going to, but i gave you the answer above. For the rest: Bitterness atleast in regards to Bloodborne not being on PC) is what is driving his stance, and wanting to have everything on the PC (December 31 2018):

''I want everything on the PC too. Bloodborne deserved to be on the PC. I don't think I'm going to stop being bitter about that until the PS4 is emulated and the game can actually run like it should have from the beginning.''

Three posts is all that it takes to summarize his shtick, and well, perhaps a few more bad take examples, but i am sure you have met those already by now.

Ofcourse Jade should be honored, as should all the women having made significant contributions to this fine industry.

Last edited:

Dthomp

No issue with a woman winning an award like this, however if Jade Raymond was a 40 something year old man with that resume would he be winning the award? That is the question I'd love to have answered, because if that answer is no (like it should be) then she is only receiving this award because....well....she. Shit like this needs to stop and awards within industries should be something that matter, not a set piece for a feel good moment of the first woman ever winning

No issue with a woman winning an award like this, however if Jade Raymond was a 40 something year old man with that resume would he be winning the award? That is the question I'd love to have answered, because if that answer is no (like it should be) then she is only receiving this award because....well....she. Shit like this needs to stop and awards within industries should be something that matter, not a set piece for a feel good moment of the first woman ever winning

betcha you can find a some man with a lesser resume winning an award. can't you?. stop this shit. this argument leads nowhere and its stupid.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Why do you get so mad about her winning the award, yet wouldn't even click on the thread had some dude won the award?

Gavon West

If you just want to know what you are up against:

August 2018:
''I've fixed bugs in MAME, added new features to it, made some games, written some emulation utilities, and bought hundreds of games supporting the industry.''

January 2019:
''Developers are basically always wrong about games. Amusingly, developers usually suck at their own games and don't even get what people like about them.'' (Verbatim)

If he is a developer like he states he is, then he is basically playing himself with that statement.

He isn't going to, but i gave you the answer above. For the rest: Bitterness atleast in regards to Bloodborne not being on PC) is what is driving his stance, and wanting to have everything on the PC (December 31 2018):

''I want everything on the PC too. Bloodborne deserved to be on the PC. I don't think I'm going to stop being bitter about that until the PS4 is emulated and the game can actually run like it should have from the beginning.''

Three posts is all that it takes to summarize his shtick, and well, perhaps a few more bad take examples, but i am sure you have met those already by now.

Ofcourse Jade should be honored, as should all the women having made significant contributions to this fine industry.

Agreed! Here's to more women making a name for themselves and being recognized for it.

As crazy as this may sound, I honestly didn’t know she had much association with anything beyond Assassins Creed 1. I barely ever heard her name mentioned after AC in the game industry. I thought she kind of disappeared and worked on other projects outside of videogames.

Dthomp

betcha you can find a some man with a lesser resume winning an award. can't you?. stop this shit. this argument leads nowhere and its stupid.

I’msure you can find a male who has won a similar award, was there a thread and article to discuss that? Like I said, I have no personal issue with her winning anything, just asked a question that I was curious about. Doesn’t have to turn into insults

rockyt

Producers = Glorified Scheduler/ Project Manger

Most of the time they try to keep things on schedule and within budget is what they mostly do. They don't particularly create or come up with creativity on the property or have any part in developing it other than that mostly. Just like your everyday work would you say your sceduler knows what your job intail or able to do it themselves? Or even a project manager who does not know exactly how the work is done but can make a plan so other can know what to expect.

Last edited:

Airola

She deserves an extra award just for putting up with idiots on the Internet. She's never said or done anything to invite controversy beyond existing as a woman in the game industry, yet she receives vitriol constantly.

I'm kinda agreeing with this.
It's a god damn special award on some award thing.
She's done stuff in the industry and now some are willing to give her that award.

Oh the horror.

zenspider

The producer of a game who manages the project, juggles priorities and teams, and ensures quality of the final product is arguably more important than a single programmer or artist making the game, at least in the AAA sector.

You seem unnecessarily dismissive of Jade Raymond.

I'm sure she has a difficult job and is very good at it. Her work, however, does not put her near the class of people who have gotten the award previously. Previous winners created genres, hardware, founded influential companies.

It feels like pandering, thus why it seems people are being dismissive.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Jade reminds me of Olivia Wilde. I don't know much about the people in the game industry aside from GDC vids. AC games have dev teams in the hundreds, so maybe she's getting props for dealing with that.

I'd take money over awards any day, and I'm sure she didn't give the award to herself and probably doesn't care as much as even randos on the net. She has a net worth of $2 million sounds like a boss.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Who gives a fuck about this award, that it generates such heated discussion?

I live in the Midwest where there are basically 0 game companies outside one and they make a mobile FPS about stuffed bears. The rest of them are all hidden in meeting halls and websites that don't get updated regularly. No one I know knows this exist, even people who play games on the norm don't know what this is.

In years past I'd gladly share with people what ive learned or the news I've found online. It's enjoyable, but damn is it hard finding people who give a damn about it. Sad, but true. I'm not implying the award is worthless or anything. I'm just sharing some down to earth feelings I've had (probably since I learned about the industry).

I work in IT, projects aren't as glamorous as video games would probably be, but I always wonder if the game(s) industry is too much of a coastal job to have. Unless of course you're making your own games (meaning no HR, no corporate bonuses, no press events, etc). Does it push all those attendees to play games or does it just show off a bunch of hard work entertainers have managed to create? I'm almost certain the inside of a GameStop is never that glamorous. :messenger_neutral:

Last edited:

Salvatron

Oh, it's the holidays and you want to spend time with your family? Fuck you, get back to work. It's crunch time bitches! Now let me sit at my desk with my gourmet sandwich and tweet selfies of my posh lifestyle while all the people who do the actual work of making the game lose sleep and battle stress. Oh what's this? An award for lil ol' me? Who should I thank? The wealth I inherited? The private school I went to? The studio I founded that I quickly sold to EA? YAAASSSS QUEEN, it's truly hard out here for a rich capitalist.

She built Ubi Toronto, EA Motive and was instrumental in producing one of the biggest franchises in gaming - not from creative (that was Desiletes), but from production perspective - but that one is also crucial.
She is obviously capable.

Yeah she deserves a lot of praise for building new studios from scratch.

The fact that you said that producers are largely incompetent makes me EXTREMELY skeptical. If the position wasnt necessary, it simply wouldn't exist/or have existed for decades now. I personally dont work in the gaming industry but I do work in motion pictures and have produced myself. A Producers job is EXTREMELY necessary.

D dirthead - I don´t know which kind of job you have, but you suggest that you work in videogames.. if that is true, even if you work into a publisher or into a developer, how could you say that about producers?

As Gavon West Gavon West says- Producers are extremelly important in videogames industry. I am personally working with 12 different producers and I couldn´t do my job if not were because of them.

If the producer is into a development studio, he is the manager of all development assest and times in the studio, he also move all the tech material among different parts and is encharge of the development budget to stay on price and on time. Fuck, he is like a brain in studio management.

But if the producer belongs to a publisher... then is just more important. The producers has to be able to control around 5 diferent roadmap from 5 different studios. Control all the times of the studios and cross these development roadmaps with the markeitng roadmaps. He has to be controlling the times of the studio having diary meetings with them and apply fines if the studios fail a task. He is encharge of manage various project budgets to take care about the publisher´s investment. And when the development is almost finished he has to take care about set up the games into all the digital stores and manage materials to make the physical editions.

Producers are totally necesary. And over all producers a Lead producer to keep a control over all the roadmaps and budgets and solving dozens of issues.

Last edited:

Blood Borne

There’s no way you can be objective and honest and truly say that she deserves this award.

Thanks to the political climate, they have to give a woman before they are accused of sexism. PC will literally, genuinely literally destroy us.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Genuinely asking you, is it possible to criticise a woman without you viewing them as sexists?
Can you please quote the sexist/misogynistic statements in this thread.

I think the implication is there are sexist assumptions driving the outsized interest in the topic from people looking to discredit her. It's hard to say because it's wrapped up in stupid oppositional politics but I would bet if you go back to Jade Raymond threads from years back that you will find some blatant sexist attitudes that aren't socially acceptable enough to say outright today but might be motivating how women are seen as outsiders by some. It's maybe not fair to make someone navigate through that rhetorical morass of implicit/unshared attitudes to point out that those game awards are making a symbolic gesture towards the sacred values of their members because they are but that's also compatible with some subset of gamers having unhelpful gatekeeping attitudes that make them look sexist to a lot of people on the outside wondering why there is a controversy.

edit: and in case there is no institutional memory every thread from like 2014 and earlier about her here always descended into a combination of attempts to discredit her as a pretty face and comments that she's a hot piece of ass culminating in that one comic where the artist drew her sucking a fans dick implying that her promo work on the game was on Ubisoft's part a cynical attempt to sell her sex appeal because of all the usual reasons already repeated here. I think we've moved on from a producer being allowed to talk about a game without a completely insane sexist backlash if that can be called progress but it might be a good idea to tread carefully slagging her accomplishments for an award she didn't ask for

Last edited:

Blood Borne

I think the implication is there are sexist assumptions driving the outsized interest in the topic from people looking to discredit her. It's hard to say because it's wrapped up in stupid oppositional politics but I would bet if you go back to Jade Raymond threads from years back that you will find some blatant sexist attitudes that aren't socially acceptable enough to say outright today but might be motivating how women are seen as outsiders by some. It's maybe not fair to make someone navigate through that rhetorical morass of implicit/unshared attitudes to point out that those game awards are making a symbolic gesture towards the sacred values of their members because they are but that's also compatible with some subset of gamers having unhelpful gatekeeping attitudes that make them look sexist to a lot of people on the outside wondering why there is a controversy.

edit: and in case there is no institutional memory every thread from like 2014 and earlier about her here always descended into a combination of attempts to discredit her as a pretty face and comments that she's a hot piece of ass culminating in that one comic where the artist drew her sucking a fans dick in exchange for buying the game
your initial post said there are some misogynistic remarks in this thread, yet you failed to provide any quote showing this.
Please critique the food and not the chef. Address the points being made rather than character assassination. No one is immune to criticism. The least you could do is show why you think she deserves the award. Lots of developers get criticised in this forum daily, Jade shouldn't be exmept just because she's a woman.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I wouldn't say I'd criticized Jade at all, I'm happy to believe she's a fine producer and someone who's had great success over the years. But if you look at her career bio its just not reflective of a legend.

She supposedly joins Sony as a programmer, but within a couple of years is one of 14(!) producers on the Sims Online at EA Maxis under Lucy Bradshaw and Will Wright. She goes to Ubi Montreal a year later and somehow lucks into heading up production on Assassins Creed, a project which is being led creatively by Patrice Desilets and is essentially an extension of the Prince Of Persia games.

During this time she gets pushed front and center as she's unusually PR/media-friendly as far as producers go, and as a reward for the success of the project gets bumped up to exec producer for the sequel. Mainly though she's put in charge of Ubi Toronto and stays there until 2014 when she got headhunted by EA.

Its a fine career, but its hardly legendary and hinges almost exclusively on Assassin's Creed, a project that was largely driven by creative personnel and technical elements that were already in place when she arrived at Ubi.

What bothers me is that if you are looking at successful women in the field I've already named one who is vastly more significant and successful than Jade in relating this little potted bio.

Check out Lucy Bradshaw's resume on Mobygames, wikipedia or whatever. Now that's what I call a legendary career.

Nothng sexist about my objection, its quite the reverse in fact.

Last edited:

underberg

It is so depressing reading people not being able to comprehend what a producer does. I mean, a lot of people never worked in a corporation let alone in a media company (let alone worked!) so they don't know how hierarchy works and how companies are organized but still, you can educate yourself a little bit.

The role of producer is vital in the industry and the fact that Raymond was able to produce huge IPs like Assassin's Creed and Watch Dogs speaks for itself. Assembling teams, looking for talents, overseeing development, managing contractual relationships with contractors and third parties---it's not something everyone can do.

Women actually have a really bad track record in the game design department. Which female game designer has made a Mario, Metroid, Street Fighter, Doom, or anything truly seminal and awesome? I can't think of a single seminal game that a woman was involved with in any role that wasn't either art or music/sound design. Even the original World of Warcraft team had no female encounter or map designers.

Aya Kyogoku directed the tremendously successful Animal Crossing: New Leaf and has been involved i nthe franchise for over a decade. She also wrote the script for Twilight Princess.

Risa Tabata is a project coordinator and game designer in Nintendo who worked, among others, to Metroid Prime, WarioWare and Chibi Robo.

Here a good list where to start: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3589/women_in_games_the_gamasutra_20.php?print=1

Airola

Genuinely asking you, is it possible to criticise a woman without you viewing them as sexists?
Can you please quote the sexist/misogynistic statements in this thread.

The question is does she deserve the criticism?

You have zero idea how important she might've been for the industry. You base it only on assumptions that, apparently, are based on more in her being a woman than in any real issues. You are criticism seems to be about people being too politically correct so that they give an award to her. That means at core you feel her being a woman is the reason she gets the award and you don't like it because of that, while you don't really know how much she has really done for the industry. Your criticism doesn't seem to have any other reasons than you don't like the idea of political correctness and in this case especially because the political correctness is supposedly about women.

Some people base their decisions and opinions in being politically correct. Some base their decisions and opinions in what others think about political correctness. You seem to fall in that latter category. And in my opinion both are stupid views to have.

I can't think of a single seminal game that a woman was involved with in any role that wasn't either art or music/sound design.

Jane Jensen?

You dismissing Roberta Williams probably means that you don't accept this woman either.

Blood Borne

The question is does she deserve the criticism?

You have zero idea how important she might've been for the industry. You base it only on assumptions that, apparently, are based on more in her being a woman than in any real issues. You are criticism seems to be about people being too politically correct so that they give an award to her. That means at core you feel her being a woman is the reason she gets the award and you don't like it because of that, while you don't really know how much she has really done for the industry. Your criticism doesn't seem to have any other reasons than you don't like the idea of political correctness and in this case especially because the political correctness is supposedly about women.

Some people base their decisions and opinions in being politically correct. Some base their decisions and opinions in what others think about political correctness. You seem to fall in that latter category. And in my opinion both are stupid views to have.

Jane Jensen?

You dismissing Roberta Williams probably means that you don't accept this woman either.
First of all, everyone deserves criticism, literally everyone. Saying someone doesn’t deserve criticism, is to say that person is pretty much perfect, which is impossible.

People have legitimate reasons to criticise her, because going by objective standards/“her body of work” especially when compared to others, pales in comparison. So yes, there’s a reason to question the award and the only plausible conclusion is that politics might be at play. However, even if their criticism is wrong, then provide evidence and arguments showing why it’s wrong, rather than being lazy and just calling everyone sexists. It’s so silly. Critique the food not the chef.

Last edited:
Top Bottom