• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 15 - 21 Aug

Dalthien

GDJustin said:
The PSPs performance isn't that poor. It just seems poor in the face of the DS's AMAZING japanese performance. Its not that the PSP is doing that BADLY, its just that the DS is exceeding people's sales expectations so much that it makes it seem bad.

No offence GDJustin, but the PSP's performance has indeed been very poor. The hardware numbers have been decent, but it is regularly being outsold by both the PS2 and DS, and the GBA has even been keeping pretty close to it the past few months. The GBM will knock it down to 4th in the weekly hardware charts.

But the real 'poor' performance is in the software. The DS software has been outselling the PSP software about 10:1 over the past couple of months, and there have been weeks this summer where the PSP software total was basically the same as the hardware total (about 20,000 units). That is just pathetic. And keep in mind, Sony set up the PSP to make its money in software sales - they probably lose money on each piece of hardware sold. So moving 20,000 units of hardware and basically no software every week is a horrible situation for Sony right now in Japan. I'm not sure how Japan works with UMD licensing, but IIRC, Sony doesn't make a penny on any of the UMD movies in the U.S. - except in-house pictures of course.

PSP fans can hang their hat on the HW & SW success in the U.S. right now, with Europe about to launch. But it has been pretty much a disaster in Japan the past 5 or 6 months.

Kobun Heat said:
As I suspected.

That's 520,000 by the end of 2004, plus the approx. 10,000 so far this year, so their total install base is 530,000, one of which is sitting unused in my apartment here, so really it's 529,999.

So Xbox should be nearing the end of the launch shipment then?

Maybe MS should ship another 5,000 to cover the next couple of years.

Flo_Evans

Maybe I am just an american graphic whore... but I think the PSP should be doing better than it is in japan. Are they still selling the unit bt itself over there? Or has it switched over to the bundle?

I agree that the US library is very suited to western tastes, but if you look at an import store there seems to be alot of 'whacky' titles that arn't making it over here. Maybe WE9 can give it a boost over there. Other than that I can't think of a title that would be hotly anticipated in Japan.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
borghe said:
I imagine the Sony Computing arms are working with movie publishers to get UMD movies. That is what I was referring to. I would hope they are putting more effeort into getting publishers to make games, but it really looks the other way around.
I really don't think SCE's role is that significant, given that any comments from Sony about UMD movies and their sales have come from Sony Pictures reps. Even if SCE was more involved in UMD movie publishing I doubt the effort there is distracting greatly from game publishing deals. It should significantly less effort to get from negotiation table to produced content in the case of movies and I think that's all the situation really reflects - its easier to start pumping out packages for pre-existing movies than it is to produce new or converted games.

HW PSP is doing good because SW PSP is doing horribly.

I can't remember an original title over 100k since ¿launch? Tenchu port, Gundam port, ToE port (at least this one managed 175k)....god, only bleach was original but didnt reach 100k...

Gran Turismo Mobile needs to be released before christmas...

Dracos

IMO the PSP deserves to be doing worse than it already is. I bought it for a portable games machine with a sexy screen and decent power. What I got is exactly that minus the games. Something is wrong when you walk into a store and the PSP section is huge. A whole wall is for PSP accessories, another wall is full of UMD movies. And then you have 2 little shelves of games that contain less than a handful that are even worth playing, and those came out at launch.

KINGMOKU

Dracos said:
IMO the PSP deserves to be doing worse than it already is. I bought it for a portable games machine with a sexy screen and decent power. What I got is exactly that minus the games. Something is wrong when you walk into a store and the PSP section is huge. A whole wall is for PSP accessories, another wall is full of UMD movies. And then you have 2 little shelves of games that contain less than a handful that are even worth playing, and those came out at launch.
When you look at it like that, it makes me wonder if Nintendo and Sony are even going after the same market.

The better the DS does in Japan the happier I am. Hopefully those sales will transfer into quality software. I just bought a DS and it can use the Japanese love! Let's get FFIII and Crystal Chronicles cemented for release! I hope VJ does well enough that Capcom announces a version of Okami. And more RPGs! Seriously, I'm glad that the DS is doing so well in Japan so far, and as we get to the end of the year I see it surpassing the PSP in sales on the American shores.

heidern

The DS is doing really well. When Nintendogs released, the DS hit 96K but the following week saw a drop of well over 30% to 64K. This time round it hit 103K and saw a drop a little over 20% to 80K. In fact the usual pattern with the DS was that sales were always in freefall until Nintendo actually did something like release a major game to boost hardware sales again. Now though the underlying hardware sales seem much more solid, where people are buying the DS as the DS, rather than necessarily for a specific game. Not so surprising since with stuff ranging from Warioware and Kirby to Naruto and JSS to Nintendogs and Brain Training, there is a real solid library of games. The DS bandwagon has hit the crest of the hill and there's no stopping it now.

The psp is still very much in the doldrums. The hardware sales are ok, really good when you consider the best game all year is the psone port of Tales of Eternia. But that is the problem, Sony have failed miserably in getting a strong software line up going. Every week the window of opportunity is getting that much smaller as the DS looks more appealing as games continue to get released. Every week is another week closer to the point where the psps sex appeal dimishes as people begin to look towards the next-gen consoles. It's going to take a monumental effort on the part of Sony to get some real strong software released to turn things around. If they don't do something drastic, then eventually the drip feed of games is going to catch up with them and sales will slide to the 10K a week level that has doomed many a system.

Culex

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
As I suspected.

That's 520,000 by the end of 2004, plus the approx. 10,000 so far this year, so their total install base is 530,000, one of which is sitting unused in my apartment here, so really it's 529,999.

I don't think those numbers are correct. Game Science has it listed at 469,690 LTD.

jett

D-Member
Jonnyram said:
Software

1. Naruto (Bandai, PS2): 96054
2. Jump Super Stars (Nintendo, DS): 57123 (278035)
3. Winning Eleven (Konami, PS2): 55827 (731722)
4. Yawaraka Atama (Nintendo, DS): 46526 (384340)
5. Otona no DS Training (Nintendo, DS): 37862 (421738)
6. Mushiking (Sega, GBA): 28832 (489981)
7. Pokemon XD (Nintendo GC): 21942 (159129)
8. Super Mario Stadium Miracle Baseball (Nintendo, GC): 17514 (139009)
9. Super Robot Taisen alpha 3 (Banpresto, PS2): 17163 (566382)
10. The Uchu Boengun 2 (D3 Publisher, PS2): 16313 (95009)

Hardware

1. DS: 80945 (1462984)
2. PS2: 33292 (1322678)
3. PSP: 23923 (1150150)
4. GBASP: 16721 (483335)
5. GC: 3960 (148345)
6. GBA: 822 (17219)
7. Xbox: 263 (9458)

From Next Generation, who don't appear to care too much about the accuracy of the titles, so maybe the figures are a little off in places too ;)

Holy motherfuck. The handheld battle is actually between the PSP and the GBA. The DS is in a whole different ballpark. :lol

AniHawk

I never expected the DS to start owning the PS2 on a weekly basis like that. Holy cow.

The fastest selling Japanese system ever? It's less than 50k away from 3,000,000 there, and it's done that in 9 months.

Moving 3m in 9 months is staggering, even the most optomistic of Nintendo fans couldn't have called this kind of success. It's also got a few heavy hitters left for the year and no sign of Pokemon yet, perhaps over 4m in 13 months is possible.

GhaleonEB

..pakbeka.. said:
I wonder if the japanese gamers will receive the revolution like they are receiving the DS

The irony would be too rich for words. Especially if Kirby kicked off the sales frenzy. :lol

Chibbi Brady said:
Moving 3m in 9 months is staggering, even the most optomistic of Nintendo fans couldn't have called this kind of success. It's also got a few heavy hitters left for the year and no sign of Pokemon yet, perhaps over 4m in 13 months is possible.
Given holiday sales, yeah, that's definitely happening.

EDIT: There was talk of DS bananas earlier. I do have a small version, but it has some transparency problems I only bothered fixing for my avatar version. I'll get those kinks worked out and post them up, though.

Hero

The DS will probably have sold 4 million (or close to it) by the end of the year, don't you think?

Doesn't the Gamecube only have like a 4-5 million userbase in Japan?

JoshuaJSlone said:
Given holiday sales, yeah, that's definitely happening.

EDIT: There was talk of DS bananas earlier. I do have a small version, but it has some transparency problems I only bothered fixing for my avatar version. I'll get those kinks worked out and post them up, though.

If ever there was a time for that forbidden dance... that time is now. If the fruit dances kinky, so be it.

Culex

Banned
Hero said:
The DS will probably have sold 4 million (or close to it) by the end of the year, don't you think?

Doesn't the Gamecube only have like a 4-5 million userbase in Japan?

It's somewhere around 3.6 million right now.

mutsu

Unstoppable momentum.... something PS brand has enjoyed for quite a while...

It's time for Nintendo to get some of it, and hopefully it will carry forward to the Revolution!

polg

so Nintendo better have PLENTY of units of and several hundred thousand hardware boxes for the pokrmon release ;)

that + a new color (Pikachu yellow?)

will create the true megaton

Aaand they're fixed. I originally created these early this year, but then PSP began outselling DS so I didn't have a chance to use them. I wasn't sure how long it would be until the situation reversed, so I started using it for my avatar. Then since it's included with every single post I make posting individual ones seems too mean. :)

Purple, since I originally modified it from the "GameCube banana".
anibananadspurp.gif

Then gray, since I wanted one that was more like the DS base color.
anibananadsgray.gif

mdm said:
Originally Posted by mutsu:
JSS would be considered as a "hardcore gamers" game

Why's this?

With all the licenses I'd say it's not exactly for hardcore gamers, but maybe what mutsu means is that it's a traditional game for traditional gamers, as opposed to the Brain Trainings which seem to have a different and wider appeal.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Jonnyram said:
From Next Generation, who don't appear to care too much about the accuracy of the titles, so maybe the figures are a little off in places too ;)
All the numbers are correct.

maynerd

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Hardware

WOW! Go DS!

Dalthien

Thanks for the numbers Jonnyram,
Thanks for the verification Fuzzy.

Okay, I have slightly different 2005 Totals, but here they are:

2005:

NDS= 1,462,985
PS2= 1,322,679
PSP= 1,150,154

LTD:

NDS = 2,958,581
PSP = 1,632,406

heidern

Chibbi Brady said:

Just for reference, this past December the GBA SP sold over 400K even with the launches of the DS and psp. The way the DS is going with it's killer line up it could be up towards 4 million by the end November. A total by the end of December of over 4.5 million is within the realm of possibility. At the last count, the GC was at what? 3.8 million? Fucking amazing. It's also only just started, I mean apart from the Pokemon avalanche waiting to come, there's stuff like Dragon Quest Slime Mori Mori, FF3 Remake, Mario Kart Online and now stuff like Resident Evil all of which is going to widen the appeal of the DS in their own way.

Hero

Is FF3j DS coming out? I don't remember seeing anything for it this past E3, and news in general of its existence is sparce.

Hero said:
Is FF3j DS coming out? I don't remember seeing anything for it this past E3, and news in general of its existence is sparce.

Last I heard of it was a couple months back when some details on the battle system were leaked. Square-Enix was changing stuff around and added like a Defense meter or something to break down until you could go at the enemies HP.

Deku

Banned
Hero said:

One thing Square Enix is good at is milking their franchises like Nintendo. Except their bean counters to send a memo about the DS and expanding support further.

FFIII has not been canceled. Hopefully they show it at TGS with announcements for FFV and FFVI

cvxfreak

Deku said:
One thing Square Enix is good at is milking their franchises like Nintendo. Except their bean counters to send a memo about the DS and expanding support further.

FFIII has not been canceled. Hopefully they show it at TGS with announcements for FFV and FFVI

We need FFIV. Swan Crystal does not cut it. =(

monkeyrun

Jonnyram said:
Hardware

F u c k me ............ that's just crazy.

I've said this a million times, but Nintendo really needs to carry this momentum in Japan over to America. I hope the Dawgs can help out.

ziran

Dalthien said:
But the real 'poor' performance is in the software. The DS software has been outselling the PSP software about 10:1 over the past couple of months, and there have been weeks this summer where the PSP software total was basically the same as the hardware total (about 20,000 units). That is just pathetic. And keep in mind, Sony set up the PSP to make its money in software sales - they probably lose money on each piece of hardware sold. So moving 20,000 units of hardware and basically no software every week is a horrible situation for Sony right now in Japan. I'm not sure how Japan works with UMD licensing, but IIRC, Sony doesn't make a penny on any of the UMD movies in the U.S. - except in-house pictures of course.
the psp sales are okay, pretty decent all things considered, but as Dalthien points out its software sales are tragic. i think releasing psp with memory stick compatibility was a mistake. it's almost the equivalent of selling ds with a flash cart. it's reduced the reason for consumers to buy games.

market share from media create.

PlayStation 2 20.82%
PSP 14.96%
GameCube 2.48%
Game Boy Advance 0.51%
Game Boy Advance SP 10.46%
Nintendo DS 50.61%
Xbox 0.16%
Total 100.00%

as for ds, WOW! the sales and market share are amazing!

media create said:
Sales of the top 100 titles totaled 758,735 units, 73.60% of last week's total and 97.54% of the weekly average. The number of units sold fell by approximately 272,000 units from last week, which may have been due to a drop in business accompanying the end of the Bon holiday. The total number of units sold this week last year (Week 3, August) was 798,210 units. Two years ago, sales amounted to 505,180 units. The end of the Bon holiday usually sees less new titles released on the market, and the number of units sold has a strong tendency to decline.

Four new releases ranked among the top 100 titles. Top-ranking title "NARUTO: Uzumaki Ninden" delivered a relatively strong performance, selling approximately 96,000 units. The other new titles each had meager sales of below 10,000 units and thus failed to boost the market. With new titles accounting for only 15.41% of sales, the market like last week continued centered on existing titles.
this info from media create points to the ds really achieving its goal, rejuvenate the japanese market, which is really impressive.

the strategy nintendo has played leaves psp in an awkward position. bringing aaa ps2 software or more traditional types of game [to psp] will have limited success, because this software is in decline. it's the new games and new ways to play that are really creating the popularity of ds, which is very difficult/impossible to mimic on psp.

Rock_Man

Now...

August 15 - August 21
2(1) DS Jump Super Stars (Nintendo)
4(3) DS Yawaraka Atama Juku (Nintendo)
5(7) DS Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training (Nintendo)
12(15) DS Power Pocket Koushien (Konami)
16(8) PSP Mobile Suit Gundam: Giren no Yabou - Zeon no Keifu (Bandai)
19(20) PSP Taiko no Tatsujin Bataburu (Namco)

22(25) DS Nintendogs: Shiba and Friends (Nintendo)
25(23) DS Naturo RPG 2: Chidori vs Rasengan (Tomy)
29(32) DS Nintendogs: Dachs and Friends (Nintendo)
31(34) DS Nintendogs: Chihuahua and Friends (Nintendo)
32(29) PSP Tenchu: Shinobi Taizen (From Software)
33(36) DS Sawaru Made in Wario (Nintendo)
35(40) DS Touch! Kirby (Nintendo)
36(39) DS Rockman EXE 5 DS: Twin Leaders (Capcom)
39(35) DS Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Troubadour (Konami)
41(46) DS Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo)
44(43) DS Ouendan (Nintendo)

and then.

February 28 - March 6
2(NEW) PSP Tales of Eternia (Namco)
7(4) DS Another Code (Nintendo)
10(9) PSP Namco Museum (Namco)
12(13) DS Catch! Touch! Yoshi! (Nintendo)
13(16) PSP Minna no Golf Portable (Sony)
14(23) DS Sawaru Made in Wario (Nintendo)
15(18) PSP Ridge Racers (Namco)
19(26) DS Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo)
20(27) PSP Shin Sanoku Musou (Koei)
25(24) PSP Popolo Crois Monogatari: Pietro Ouji no Bouken (Sony)
31(15) PSP Need for Speed Underground (EA)
32(44) PSP Piposaru Academia: Dossari! Sarugee Daizenshuu (Sony)
40(49) PSP Mahjong Fight Club (Konami)
48(RE) PSP Kotoba no Puzzle Mojipittan Daijiten (Namco)

Mihail

Banned
Dalthien said:
I'm not sure how Japan works with UMD licensing, but IIRC, Sony doesn't make a penny on any of the UMD movies in the U.S. - except in-house pictures of course.

Wow, I didn't know this, so it's freakin' awesome news to me, if true. Sony's PSP sector must be really hurting.

Rock_Man said:
Now...

August 15 - August 21
2(1) DS Jump Super Stars (Nintendo)
4(3) DS Yawaraka Atama Juku (Nintendo)
5(7) DS Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training (Nintendo)
12(15) DS Power Pocket Koushien (Konami)
16(8) PSP Mobile Suit Gundam: Giren no Yabou - Zeon no Keifu (Bandai)
19(20) PSP Taiko no Tatsujin Bataburu (Namco)

22(25) DS Nintendogs: Shiba and Friends (Nintendo)
25(23) DS Naturo RPG 2: Chidori vs Rasengan (Tomy)
29(32) DS Nintendogs: Dachs and Friends (Nintendo)
31(34) DS Nintendogs: Chihuahua and Friends (Nintendo)
32(29) PSP Tenchu: Shinobi Taizen (From Software)
33(36) DS Sawaru Made in Wario (Nintendo)
35(40) DS Touch! Kirby (Nintendo)
36(39) DS Rockman EXE 5 DS: Twin Leaders (Capcom)
39(35) DS Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Troubadour (Konami)
41(46) DS Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo)
44(43) DS Ouendan (Nintendo)

and then.

February 28 - March 6
2(NEW) PSP Tales of Eternia (Namco)
7(4) DS Another Code (Nintendo)
10(9) PSP Namco Museum (Namco)
12(13) DS Catch! Touch! Yoshi! (Nintendo)
13(16) PSP Minna no Golf Portable (Sony)
14(23) DS Sawaru Made in Wario (Nintendo)
15(18) PSP Ridge Racers (Namco)
19(26) DS Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo)
20(27) PSP Shin Sanoku Musou (Koei)
25(24) PSP Popolo Crois Monogatari: Pietro Ouji no Bouken (Sony)
31(15) PSP Need for Speed Underground (EA)
32(44) PSP Piposaru Academia: Dossari! Sarugee Daizenshuu (Sony)
40(49) PSP Mahjong Fight Club (Konami)
48(RE) PSP Kotoba no Puzzle Mojipittan Daijiten (Namco)

Amazing how the tides have turned.

polg

we all now that the DS suceeds in Japan.

What lessons should NOA pickup from that success? Better/Weekly releases? Exclusives? keep 3rd paties from releases gba-port-crap? Get american exclusive titles? Kill the 'payah' kid from the Nintendog ad?

polg said:

What lessons should NOA pickup from that success? Better/Weekly releases? Exclusives? keep 3rd paties from releases gba-port-crap? Get american exclusive titles? Kill the 'payah' kid from the Nintendog ad?

Just bring there games over here, and not let EA Dominate the market with shitty games like NFSU2 for DS =[

Lo-Volt

:lol The dominance is so surprising, I couldn't help but laugh. How could Sony Computer Entertainment bosses not be embarrassed in private right now? Maybe Nintendo couldn't care less about the DS in America, but it has reclaimed Japan.

Ceb

Mihail said:
Wow, I didn't know this, so it's freakin' awesome news to me, if true. Sony's PSP sector must be really hurting.

AWESOME!! ... no, wait, you're really pathetic.

argon

polg said:

Bring out as many games as possible, and inform the consumer about DS's strengths (4 player with 1 cartridge, free wifi online network, backwards compatibility, etc.). Also, Pokemon. They should definitely make a new "Hey You Pikachu!" for the DS using some of the Nintendogs ideas.

Mihail

Banned
Ceb said:
AWESOME!! ... no, wait, you're really pathetic.
Perhaps you don't agree with my views on Sony and how they're hurting the entertainment industry, but if you get to know me, I think you'll find that I'm a pretty decent guy and we might even enjoy being friends.

Top Bottom