• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Emperor Akihito offers 'remorse' on WW II surrender anniversary

Status
Not open for further replies.

highrider

Banned
I'm consistently surprised by the amount of uninformed posters here who just blatanly ignore the facts about imperial Japan and the necessity of those bombs.

But hey, everyone loves a reason to bash America.

Yep. Clearly people that know nothing how the Japanese military functioned during ww2.

Japan and Germany are definitely success stories in terms of post war reconstruction.

Wish that sort of thing was more common today.

There was a huge religious and ideological component to the opposition in Iraq and Afghanistan. You never had mass scale insurgencies resisting occupation once the official surrenders came in, it was like the people just sort of gave up and accepted their fate. They didn't have neighbouring countries funnelling manpower and war materials for their personal holy war against the occupiers.

The US was willing to stay for the better part of a decade and funnel money in, but the same kind of positive outcome was never going to be possible knowing what we know about how it all went down.

dabig2

Dunno why people are comparing the use of two nuclear bombs to other, unrelated acts. Using nuclear weapons (or any bomb during that period) lead to a huge amount of innocent lives being lost, but it was a means to an end... It was a calculated action to end the war, and it certainly did that. The mass rapes and torturing of detainees by the Japanese served no purpose, even in war, other than to, you know, rape and torture.

Japanese used rape and torture for the same reason we firebombed their country into oblivion and then dropped 2 atomic bombs on civilian populaces.

It's the sickness of humanity that morally justifies any of those atrocities. And it's why we'll continue raping, torturing, and killing each other in mass numbers for the foreseeable history.

Japanese used rape and torture for the same reason we firebombed their country into oblivion and then dropped 2 atomic bombs on civilian populaces.

It's the sickness of humanity that morally justifies any of those atrocities. And it's why we'll continue raping, torturing, and killing each other in mass numbers for the foreseeable history.

I'm sorry, but no. You can't compare the two. Bombing is a necessary act of war on the scale, but rape isn't a necessary act of war on any scale.

Alucrid

Banned
In the words of President George HW Bush:
"I will never apologize for the United States. Ever. I don’t care what the facts are." Said after we firebombed a civilian Iranian airplane.

Firebomb an airplane? It was shot down from a missile.

dabig2

Firebomb an airplane? It was shot down from a missile.

Wires got crossed with talking about firebombing cities. It happens.

What a derail, goddam

I'm sorry, but no. You can't compare the two. Bombing is a necessary act of war on the scale, but rape isn't a necessary act of war on any scale.

Huh, no?

It's like you quoted his post but didn't read it.

Oh, did I offend your sensibilities by comparing the act of rape and torture used as terrorism to oppress and subjugate a country to the fact that mass firebombing and atomic bombing cities was used as terrorism to subjugate a country?

Here's the thing and you can see it with the Russian raping their way into Germany, rape used at that time was as much for punishment as it was for a man's own personal glee of power over another. Now tell me that the bombs dropped weren't done for the same reason - collective punishment. That is literally total war.

DarkFlow

Banned

Oh, did I offend your sensibilities by comparing the act of rape and torture used as terrorism to oppress and subjugate a country to the fact that mass firebombing and atomic bombing cities was used as terrorism to subjugate a country?

Here's the thing and you can see it with the Russian raping their way into Germany, rape used at that time was as much for punishment as it was for a man's own personal glee of power over another. Now tell me that the bombs dropped weren't done for the same reason - collective punishment. That is literally total war.
No, just our intelligence.

Africanus

There has been no sign of disabilities among the children of survivors who weren't exposed in utero. The fallout was dispersed in the upper atmosphere instead of on the ground so it hasn't lingered at all.

Hmm, it appears that information I had read prior is outdated...

After doing research I see that you are indeed correct and I in the wrong.

I suppose given this I have no reason to see any need for an apology without a general empty apology for the war itself.

If you want to talk about collective punisment while moving the needle to support your moral claims, we can always look at how Japan and Germany economically prospered after World War 2 compared to how certain other nations under Germany and Japan faired after their invasion. We can do that. Let's do that.

Edit: and to be clear I'm not obsolving Russia of anything here. What they did was wrong, but I don't see, again, how Russia's actions make it impossible for certain Japanese politicians to accept the atrocities they committed as wrong.

Imagine if Germany never apologized for WW2. Treaty of Versailles part 2.

Germany is pretty much outlier when it comes to teaching and apologizing about their history and even that is mostly because after the war they forced to do so by allies. Have british and french apologized for the shit they pulled during colonial era around the world? Has US apologized for the shit they pulled during cold war around the world? Has Russia apologized for the shit they pulled in Eastern Europe during Soviet era? Nope. Every nation pretty much wants to sweep bad things about their history under the rug if they can.

Rape has been used as a tool of war for millenia. It still is. It can be used as a form of ethnic cleansing too which makes it even more unpleasant. I'm not familiar with Nanking so I can't really comment there but for more recent examples: Bosnia, Rwanda, Sudan. Not nice.

As for defending dropping nukes, or rather defending them over rape as a more civilised, humane, necessary tool of war... Looking back, both are reprehensible. Yes, I speak with hindsight and in the midst of war, horrific actions have to be undertaken. But all I can think of is the innocent lives affected by all. Rape, nukes or whatever.

I find it troublesome to discuss either. It's fucked up, man. As cringe as it may sound. It's fucked up. Yes, rape is fucked up but so are nukes, Christ.

Rape has been used as a tool of war for millenia. It still is. It can be used as a form of ethnic cleansing too which makes it even more unpleasant. I'm not familiar with Nanking so I can't really comment there but for more recent examples: Bosnia, Rwanda, Sudan. Not nice.

As for defending dropping nukes, or rather defending them over rape as a more civilised, humane, necessary tool of war... Looking back, both are reprehensible. Yes, I speak with hindsight and in the midst of war, horrific actions have to be undertaken. But all I can think of is the innocent lives affected by all. Rape, nukes or whatever.

I find it troublesome to discuss either. It's fucked up, man. As cringe as it may sound. It's fucked up. Yes, rape is fucked up but so are nukes, Christ.

Try reading up on Nanking.

HariKari

It was probably necessary, but not humane when you kill civilians with the nuke.

You're right. Millions more should have died in a much longer, pointless, more protracted ground war, and millions more from likely starvation, instead of using two nuclear strikes to end the war early.

Could be a start to some actual Chinese/Japanese relations.

Hardly. This isn't the first time they've made similar statements. And plus the Chinese and Korean governments love using this as a tool to drum up nationalist sentiments whenever they need to divert attention away from their own domestic issues. They'll just say this didn't go far enough.

Hardly. This isn't the first time they've made similar statements. And plus the Chinese and Korean governments love using this as a tool to drum up nationalist sentiments whenever they need to divert attention away from their own domestic issues. They'll just say this didn't go far enough.

do you think this went far enough? maybe dont give bullet to chinese and korean to use as a tool to drum up their nationalist sentiments?

but no. japanese is also victim of the war! Everyone did bad thing during war! We hardly did anything out of ordinary! we will only apologize after americans apologize to us!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
It's the first time he's used the words "deep regret", but Japan has been apologizing for their shit from back then for ages now.

has America ever apologised for Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

America just doesn't apologize. Ever.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
do you think this went far enough? maybe dont give bullet to chinese and korean to use as a tool to drum up their nationalist sentiments?

but no. japanese is also victim of the war! Everyone did bad thing during war! We hardly did anything out of ordinary! we will only apologize after americans apologize to us!
Yeah, why bother with japanese brothels filled with war prisoners. The americans should apologize first!

They probably could have gone a little further into explicit details... But again, it really doesn't matter. I really don't think the Chinese government really gives a damn one way or another. This is just another tool for them.

They probably could have gone a little further into explicit details... But again, it really doesn't matter. I really don't think the Chinese government really gives a damn one way or another. This is just another tool for them.

yes. because chinese goverment may be dicks, lets just not apologize for our atrocity to chinese PEOPLE. Can you imagine the satisfaction that will give them! Surely no one would want that to happen!

yes. because chinese goverment may be dicks, lets just not apologize for our atrocity to chinese PEOPLE. Can you imagine the satisfaction that will give them! Surely no one would want that to happen!

I'm not saying that at all dude chill out. If you had read better I said they could have gone further. But again no apology will ever be good enough. The governments of China and Korea will always manipulate their citizens opinion on the matter

linsivvi

I always see that kind of sentiment on the Internet whenever it comes to Japan.

Hmm I wonder why.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I always see that kind of sentiment on the Internet whenever it comes to Japan.

Hmm I wonder why.
Maybe because japan refuses to show a little bit remorse? Its always "yeah there were brothels were soldiers could rape women from conquered areas.... But who cares?" Maybe this sentiment would change when japan would start to act a little bit like germany?

What would be the humane way to kill civilians?
smh

You're right. Millions more should have died in a much longer, pointless, more protracted ground war, and millions more from likely starvation, instead of using two nuclear strikes to end the war early.

Don't put words in my mouth. I said it was necessary, but that doesn't make things humane. You and I have the same opinion, but you might have thought I was against the nuke. I'm not, I just don't want to associate the act with words like humane or mercy.

Oh god this thread again. Can't wait to hear from more people lacking any knowledge or perspective on the situation trying to paint Japan as a victim.

G.O.O.

I'd be okay with America apologizing for the nukes, but I'm not going to put that on the same level as what imperial Japan did in WWII. It was so awful that even nazis were horrified.

HariKari

I'd be okay with America apologizing for the nukes, but I'm not going to put that on the same level as what imperial Japan did in WWII. It was so awful that even nazis were horrified.

I wonder how many people even know about Unit 731

I don't understand. Are you wanting me to say that the Japanese people somehow deserved to be nuked? Is this what you mean? I'll read up on all of the atrocities detailed and come to the conclusion that yeah, they deserved it?

It's more that Imperial Japan could not be allowed to exist after all the impossibly fucked up shit they did. Total, unconditional surrender was a must. This could be accomplished in one of three ways: a long, protracted blockade (millions die of starvation), a long, protracted invasion (millions die on the beaches), or by nuking 2 cities. Total death toll, a few hundred thousand.

Valhelm

contribute something
The US apologized to Native Americans and native Hawaiians.

That's a completely different circumstance, though. From the viewpoint of modern secular morality, those conquests (and the subsequent persecutions) really are not defensible. Japan and Germany, however, were committing heinous acts and intended to commit them. The most common sentiment about the nuclear bombings is that the ends justified the means.

I've got to disagree here. Unit 731 was outrageously evil, but still on a smaller scale than Nazi experimentation. The issue is that Japan, generally, does not own up to their historic vivisections, tortures, rapes, and mass murders in the way that Germany does.

Much of the "Japan was more brutal than Germany" claims boil down to very old stereotypes.

dabig2

It's a great thing this isn't the Oppression olympics. An evil, horrifying act is an evil, horrifying act.

Maybe if we had realized that total war, indescriminate killing of civilians was a shitty thing to do when "you're the good guy" then we wouldn't have used WW2 as a justification to do other horrible shit in Vietnam and Iraq, unless we do have some sympathizers for dropping agent orange and bombs on ancient forests and jungles.

I just don't like America patting itself on the back for the atomic bombs. Tens of thousands of more civilians died to those 2 bombs than America's total military deaths in the Pacific. This is all after the firebombings btw, that claimed even more lives taken together. And we pat ourselves on the back for not dropping more or that it was better than the alternative of invasion which probably would've resulted in total genocide - an evil greater evil.

Insanity. I rather nip this shit in the bud so that my aforementioned examples of justification of total war used by the military will be met with the requisite appallment and disgust. Because when we justify evil, guess what, we continue it. And others will continue it. And our enemies continue it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
People arent patting America on the back for the atomic bombs. They just think it was the best choice out of a slew of terrible fucking choices.

Anjelus_

No no no no no no no no no.

We JUST had this thread and it went nowhere. Guy wanted to naked walk to Nazi Germany.

How about you guys just go read that thread and stop this horrifying derail? The OP was interesting enough without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom