• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese newspaper rumor: redesigned Vita unveiling just before TGS

If they do want this to be the PS4's gamepad then they also need to add an L2,R2,L3, and R3 buttons or this will turn out as lame as remote play already was.

Hip Hop

Could the 1gb of RAM help speed up the internet speed browser?

I like my Vita's browser, but it could use a little tune up when it comes to speeds.

NomarTyme

I doubt we'll see much a of a differences besides being lighter, better battery, and better screen. Maybe micro sd? I doubt it though. :/

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I actually found this rumour very weird for plenty of reasons. First off, I really don't think Sony will be spending more money on increasing the RAM, when it's just not necessary. They should be reducing costs at this stage not adding more. A 6 inch screen also doesn't sound believable because it will just increase expenses; don't forget that the screen is one of the most expensive parts in a smartphone and presumably in the Vita too. I also tried to do some research on the source but couldn't find anything, but since my Japanese isn't that good, I didn't really investigate further. So yeah, I think this rumour seems pretty fake to me.

Abriael

Banned
Nihon Keizai Shimbun (日本経済新聞), a leading economic newspaper.

And how exactly do you go from "nihon" to "tokyo" again?

At that rate, "Shukan Toyo Keizai" is more similar, but a site that can't even translate the name of its source has no credibility.

Let alone that all the Japanese blogs that reported it are calling bullshit as well. You'd think they'd have a chance to read the magazines, since they're in Japan.

jcm

Who is the-magicbox.com, and why would anyone trust them to report on a rumor they couldn't even bother to link to? Be a little more skeptical, gaf.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Who is the-magicbox.com, and why would anyone trust them to report on a rumor they couldn't even bother to link to? Be a little more skeptical, gaf.

The magicbox has been around for at least a decade and is a pretty well known source of Japanese gaming news. It does make mistakes from time to time though, but is generally reputable.

jcm

The magicbox has been around for at least a decade and is a pretty well known source of Japanese gaming news. It does make mistakes from time to time though, but is generally reputable.

Wow, I've never heard of them. Thanks for the info. They do a lousy job of citing their sources though.

Samyy

They're basically pulling a 3DS.

Upgrade it, bigger screens hope for more sales.

The 3DS is cheaper, has a larger library and doesn't fuck you over the memory card prices.
Very different scenario...
Even with this new model, which I doubt exists, it would need to be maximum 199.99 and memory card prices need to be halved.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
6.3' screen....

they need to copy Nvidia Shield design then, because with a normal brick design this thing will be a tablet.

Windam

Scaley member
Already have a Vita. The only thing they could improve is battery life. Maybe I'd buy a Vita in the PSP Go form factor.

Already have a Vita. The only thing they could improve is battery life. Maybe I'd buy a Vita in the PSP Go form factor.

going to 6.3" should improve battery life considering they'll have a larger shell they can shove more battery into.

I like that this is the thing they copy Nintendo on and not the part where Nintendo pumps out a lot of compelling games.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Reputable? I thought of them the opposite usually

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
But you can choose to believe something is true if it supports your ideological narrative.

That's how journalism works, right?

There is no commentary on this website though. Just bullet points with news, so it doesn't matter what the writer believes.

I just don't understand why they're adding more ram. The Vita is already so overpowered compared to the competition... their issues are price (both of the system and the memory cards) and game selection. How is adding more ram going to help?

(I also think the current Vita is too big–What's the point of a portable system if you can't fit it in your pocket–but I seem to be in the minority, and I probably wouldn't buy one anyway)

A 6 inch screen might not make the vita bigger. The screen can extend to the bezel. But yeah this is bullshit and counter intuitive. I think they should shrink the screen size to at least 4 inches to increase the pixel density and hide all those jaggies of lazy devs

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
(I also think the current Vita is too big–What's the point of a portable system if you can't fit it in your pocket–but I seem to be in the minority, and I probably wouldn't buy one anyway)

You could say the same thing about the 3DSXL, but if you look at the japanese charts, only a fraction of sales belong to vanilla 3DS.

the problem with the Via is not the screen size.
The problem lies with the proprietary mem cards plus limited internal flash space

Cheap memory cards would be an even bigger problem methinks. With retail shops giving such limited space to Vita as it is, why would they bother at all if most purchases of games are digital and they see no revenue from them?

joeblow

For Japanese gaming info, I've visited The Magic Box casually for over ten years and they have never invented a story that they've sourced the entire time. If this particular news agency that was quoted can't be easily found, maybe it is a translation typo, but they did translate the text from SOME source based on my experiences visiting the site. They don't just invent stuff. With that said, at least they properly labeled it a rumor.

The magic box is not really a reputable site. They list anything and everything.
For Japanese gaming info, I've visited The Magic Box casually for over ten years and they have never invented a story that they've sourced the entire time. If this particular news agency that was quoted can't be easily found, maybe it is a translation typo, but they did translate the text from SOME source based on my experiences visiting the site. They don't just invent stuff. With that said, at least they properly labeled it a rumor.

Well, i'll agree i've never seen a made up story, but they aren't any better than go nintendo.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
The thing is though, no Japanese sites have heard this same rumor from anywhere other than this thread. Even taking news sites with similar-sounding names into consideration, no one has seen the information in those sources either.

Not saying Magic Box necessarily invented this story but it was most likely a bad tip.

Oersted

Cheap memory cards would be an even bigger problem methinks. With retail shops giving such limited space to Vita as it is, why would they bother at all if most purchases of games are digital and they see no revenue from them?

Do you know what I love atleast to see? Make the Vita memory cards atleast compatible with all Sony devices. Its a freaking overpriced ghetto right now.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
The magic box is not really a reputable site. They list anything and everything.

Well, i'll agree i've never seen a made up story, but they are no better than go nintendo.
I don't know about you, but if a news website that posts news in bullet points that are not made up, they are fairly reliable in my eyes.

Do you know what I love atleast to see? Make the Vita memory cards atleast compatible with all Sony devices. Its a freaking overpriced ghetto right now.

I feel your pain, but I still think Vita can't compete with iOS and Android digital markets right now.

Dinda

I would love a slightly bigger Vita with L2/3 and R2/3 Buttons ready for PS4 Remote Play.
I anyway use my Vita with a Grip, so the size wouldn't make a difference for me.

Elios83

Best part of the rumor is that they're talking about a relaunch with a roster of new games.
On the hardware side I think that Sony should take the bold step to make a Playstation tablet which offers Android compatibility. The 6.3 inches screen is a step towards the mini tablet direction.
It's the only way to get the mass market interested at this point. No one is going to buy a dedicated game device in the west these days unless it's very cheap and targeted to a younger demographic. Even Nintendo notwithstading the attractive price, great lineup and legacy in the handheld category is struggling.The other way is to make an actual tablet with all the functionalities and features people have come to expect from these devices and that leads to Android support.

leroidys

More ram to add PS4 style game streaming would make sense to me...

With how well the PS3 relaunch worked, I could definitely see them trying such a strategy with vita. New device, new games, new branding and ad campaign.

Iacobellis

It's too early for a revision, in my opinion. I know, I know, we are the in the age of smartphones now, but still. The PSP-2000 came out three years after launch, as did the PS3 Slim.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
It's too early for a revision, in my opinion. I know, I know, we are the in the age of smartphones now, but still. The PSP-2000 came out three years after launch, as did the PS3 Slim.
If this is true, I am pretty sure this will be sold not as a replacement for the existing system but more as an alternative ski. Like 3ds and the xl right now. I therefore wouldn't label it as a 'revision' per se like the psp2000

DainBramage

Neo Member
I hope that this is true, I know that SONY probably isn't doing anything regarding the memory cards but if we could use some form of SD card (micro?) in there I would buy it instantly.

But first and foremost the vita needs games!!!

Top Bottom