• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese newspaper rumor: redesigned Vita unveiling just before TGS

It just feels early for a PS4 based Vita redesign. I get it, but I really don't think anybody believes hardware to be the Vita's biggest problem right now.
As little sense as the screen size thing makes, once you start thinking about how they could market it with PS4's remote play it makes sense. Treating it less like a Vita and more like a PS4 streaming device. Ugh

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Ideally, I would want it to have some sort of durable glass screen, since the current plasticy screen is very scary to use bare.

I honestly would have liked better analog sticks. I understand they still want the thing to be mobile and maybe fit in a pocket of something - but that's not how I roll. At the moment I sit in bed and play - If I do go away and take it, I still wont be carrying it around with me - it would be in a bag, or in a room waiting for me.

Kopite

You don't equal the world.

Some people do, some don't. Generally speaking a tablet is thought of as a portable device. As are laptops. Both of those are bigger than this proposed vita.... which i'm not sure I believe exists.
Have you heard anything about this mate?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Remote play would be pretty sweet on this... only problem is... lack of Vita exclusives. =/

Vita has a nice selection of exclusives, especially if you can read Japanese and are a big otaku.

the problem is Memory Card Prices and a lack of western support.

Apath

mj-laughing.gif

Did you think this was a Nintendo thread?

Yeah.. It probably won't happen. Guess I can't say I didn't get my money's worth already.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's funny that some people are pointing to the RAM doubling as a reason to disbelieve this rumor when both systems got double the RAM in revisions last gen.

It's the screen size that makes me doubt it.

Kopite

Vita has a nice selection of exclusives, especially if you can read Japanese and are a big otaku.

There will never be proper Western third party support for a handheld. I'm more concerned with the lack of Sony support and too few Japanese titles being localised.

Nev

Banned
Does this mean sub-native resolution titles such as Uncharted or Gravity Rush would look even worse than they do on Vita ie terrible?

Seriously.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Scrap my last post if this version ends being built with playing digital PS2 games in mind. I'd probably not be able to see the screen from my splooge.

Rootbeer

Banned
Bought my Vita on launch day and love it. Yeah, I'll upgrade... *IF* they switch to SDHC cards :3 Come on Sony... you have to know what a huge blunder that is for your sales, forcing people to use expensive proprietary memory. a 32 gig card is $99... ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS for such a small amount of memory in 2013, insane! And it's not even fast memroy. I have read that the read/write speed is slower than on the Vita game cartridges, and it's definitely slower than most modern SDHC cards

I was in line at gamestop last week getting my copy of M&L Dream Team and the guy in front of me was buying a Vita. The clerk told him he needed memory for it, and they were talking this over for a few minutes. They both thought it took MicroSD cards, but thankfully the clerk corrected himself and pointed out that it takes proprietary memory.

I wonder just how often this easy mixup takes place

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Well I'm calling this BS. makes no sense with the current model struggling.

Makes lots of sense, could bump hardware and software both ways.

i.e. people who don't like it may run out to buy the current model before it disappears. people who do like it will upgrade. Increased software movement from both.

Still though, I really think they should be putting the Vita software platform onto their mobile devices mid-to-long term.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
lolwut
I don't think so buddy.

I don't think Sony would want the TV space taken up by a handheld. They'd prefer for the Vita to be seen as a peripheral for the PS3/PS4, not an alternative. Some people would be quite happy to only own a handheld if it played games like KZM or Tearaway on their TVs. It wouldn't make a significant difference but perhaps it's enough to make Sony think twice about having a video out ... which I believe is the reason the Vita hasn't got one at the moment.

DJIzana

There's a couple good games... Dragon's Crown, P4G... everything else like PSO2, FFX, I'd play on PC or my PS3.

This tune will likely change when PS4 comes out though. My Vita will likely get some use with the remote play feature for certain games. ;)

Eusis

It's funny that some people are pointing to the RAM doubling as a reason to disbelieve this rumor when both systems got double the RAM in revisions last gen.

Admittedly if they're running with the Vita-as-GamePad idea it may make a lot of sense, especially as they could well go with bigger sticks and buttons too, but as noted it already feels too big to me on Wii U, if anything the Wii U should get a controller with a Vita-size screen instead. But I do welcome having the option if nothing else.

AniHawk

that's fairly huge for a 'handheld'. it'd likely be in the $249.99-$299.99 range as well. i think i'd much rather get a standard vita at a lower price.

PTG

Could this be what releases on October 21st? According to the PS4 release rumor, "On Oct 21st an unnamed Sony console will be launched". In the same post the guy said, "Previously the wiiu, 3ds and vita were also only listed as Nintendo/Sony Console in the product name column".

Erethian

For me, it's because it's Tokyo Keizai Online reporting this. Nikkei or bust.

supposedly, Xperia Z Ultra triluminous lcd screen looks really good, is that better or worse compared with vita oled, and whether it's cheaper or more expensive if they change the vita oled screen

Myshkin

I don't get the extra ram part. Right now you can run Music Unlimited, Skype, Twitter or the web browser without closing out a game. What other apps do they even want to run at the same time that they can't currently?

And wouldn't the idea be to make it cheaper?

Cheaper is important. But the web browser could use more memory. Right now, with nothing else running, it can't hold multiple pages simultaneously for typical sites. It likes to reload pages when you switch tabs. That's slow, and sometimes it's not what you want.

Vita running Android could actually be pretty cool if you could use the Vita's controls to play games that have gamepad support. Not going to happen though.

shink

I don't think a revision will be announced this year, but a larger screen and made more for remote play sounds like a good idea. It'll probably be more expensive and that's a big problem since it's already a hard sell now.

Durante

supposedly, Xperia Z Ultra triluminous lcd screen looks really good, is that better or worse compared with vita oled, and whether it's cheaper or more expensive if they change the vita oled screen
For gaming, any LCD is worse than oled.

Also, if this is true, the PPI will suck. All the games with shitty upscaled IQ will look even worse.

Gamescom announcement incoming. I don´t believe this rumor though. The Vita 2000 will have price reductions not raise the price of the Vita.

Launching before TGS? I'm having a hard time believing this.

It´s not unusual to launch before TGS. The PS3 slim launch before that IIRC.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure this would sacrifice the OLED screen, but I'd probably be in for one as long as the price doesn't increase.

I expected more of a Vite Slim than a Vita XL, but I'd certainly prefer to see the latter happen.

Top Bottom