• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Universe: Horror, Inc. Announces Multi-Platform Expansion of Friday the 13th Franchise

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

IGN can exclusively report that Horror, Inc. is expanding the Friday the 13th franchise into a new era with the launch of Jason Universe.

New Friday the 13th activations will span a wide range of platforms from entertainment, games, immersive experiences, merchandise and more to be announced throughout 2024 via @JasonUniverse13 on social media or by visiting the official Jason Universe website.

“For decades, Jason shocked and thrilled audiences who kept coming back for more. We’re excited to work with Victor Miller and Marc Toberoff on new projects we’ll announce in the coming months,” said Robert Barsamian, President of Horror, Inc., in a statement provided to IGN.

Victor Miller was the screenwriter of the original Friday the 13th movie who reclaimed the domestic rights to the slasher franchise in 2021 after a lengthy lawsuit.

Barsamian is an executive producer on the upcoming A24 and Peacock expanded prequel series Crystal Lake (which originally had Hannibal’s Bryan Fuller aboard as its showrunner before he parted ways with the project last week). Barsamian was also an executive producer on 2017’s Friday the 13th: The Game.

NickFire

I know it won't happen. But if they made a deal to make a current gen version of the last game, with new maps, etc., it would be well received. That game was fun.

NickFire

I have to laugh. It seems like original ideas are dead and everyone is just recycling the same old pop culture ideas.
I think you are underestimating the draw of F13 specifically. They aren't making these because they can't think of something else. They are making these because the franchise has an audience that wants more. The only reason there's been a long gap is the lawsuit that brought everything to a halt.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm curious if they can even do the series justice these days. The 2009(?) soft reboot had most of it right on paper (gory kills, isolated setting, GLORIOUS BREASTS) but lacked really relatable characters and was sloppy in how they showed Jason, there was little tension or thrills to him. The best installments really had sympathetic characters with a really basic framework to showcase their wants/desires set off with the "morality police" type kills as Jason works his way through the cast. Even the overall arc of his mom, to hobo Jason, to copycat, to zombie Jason (and ultimately to a kind of superpowered Jason) is a tough narrative to relaunch. Michael Myers has what, 2, maybe three different origin stories at this point, same with Leatherface? Freddy couldn't sustain a relaunch either and his best ending was a meta-commentary film anyway.

It was just a social situation that existed in the late 70's through the 80's that hasn't really been sustained. I think the Scream series really deflated the genre just like Austin Powers did to the spy thriller (Bond in particualr). Hatchet, Terrifier, those are just shades of the glory days of the slasher genre. I'm not sure where the "Series" should go, though making Jason a placid merchandising stooge is just sad.

I think there are some horror directors now though that could make a scary slasher film, hope they get a crack at it. I don't want snark, self awareness, or camp from the get go. I want early Wes Craven levels of brutality, titillation, and pure survival. Re-establish Jason as a force of nature before he is turned into a tiktok sensation.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I think you are underestimating the draw of F13 specifically. They aren't making these because they can't think of something else. They are making these because the franchise has an audience that wants more. The only reason there's been a long gap is the lawsuit that brought everything to a halt.

I know it's popular. However, how about letting it be and think up new ideas? It just seems like we're holding on to the past because.........

Nostalgia is more powerful than an atomic bomb. Can you blame them?

Bingo. Nostalgia. It is one hell of a drug. I'm just board of rehashing the same characters and worlds.

He's 100% coming to Fortnite

Christmas Dancing GIF

jason10mm

Gold Member
I wouldnt mind more jason movies with world building etc. but its gotta be deeper than just bad man kill
But what worldbuilding can there really be?

All they can do is give him a sister or something to add to the killers. Or have one of the Final Girls learn to manipulate Jason into doing things for her like a Hack/Slash situation (which BTW, is an IP I'm ASTOUNDED hasn't been adapted yet). Imagine a little pixie goth with a giant silent brute hunting down other serial killers based on leatherback, jekyll/Hyde, jack the ripper, etc seems like it could work.

Doom85

I know it's popular. However, how about letting it be and think up new ideas? It just seems like we're holding on to the past because.........

Bingo. Nostalgia. It is one hell of a drug. I'm just board of rehashing the same characters and worlds.

Yeah it's pretty sad, this trend has been going on for years and doesn't seem like anyone cares.

Friday the 13th released EIGHT movies in the 80’s decade alone. I guess the 80’s were guilty of this as well based on these arguments……

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Friday the 13th released EIGHT movies in the 80’s decade alone. I guess the 80’s were guilty of this as well based on these arguments……

In the 80s. We're now in the 2020s. Time to move on.

Doom85

In the 80s. We're now in the 2020s. Time to move on.

I Dont Think So No Way GIF

Sorry I enjoy thing and want more of thing. I mean, Halloween 2018 kicked ass (Kills was fairly good, and Ends sucked), heaven forbid if it would be neat to get a revival of this series, especially as the last entry was like 15 years ago.

You know shit is played out when you see 4 year olds rocking Halloween gear, with a scene straight out of H1, where Mike gets stabbed with a clothes hanger.
People used to be scared of this shit, now they clamor for it. Lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom