• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimquisition: When Jim Sterling Was Sued For $10 Million By Digital Homicide

That Shutterstock slam is strange. Many books don bought covers from Shutterstock.

Books usually don't come with some sort of visual representation beyond letters, though.
And if they are illustrated, then usually the illustrator also provides the cover.
Video games, unless some sort of text adventure, have graphics. In fact, the word "video" is a portmanteau of the Latin word videre (to see) and audio. You can't have a video game without visuals.

My favorite comment:

Suck it Romaine you cunt. All you had to do is keep quiet and you'd still be making a nice income from your shitty games and Jim's review would have been forgotten in a couple of weeks.
But no...your ego wouldn't let you would it? You dumb fuck. Enjoy being the gaming worlds poster boy for The Streisand Effect you fucking rat.
So yeah, remember the thing you have to say next time you get a job - repeat after me "do you want fries with that?"

It's funny because it looks down on people with menial jobs.

Noitshado

You have to give it to him he was relentless and he was a man of his words and did what he said he would however illogical it was. Marks a new low for humanity and blows my mind, not because of what he did but rather what he didn't do instead. Because of his diligence I feel if he had spent that same amount of time and effort learning to actually make good games he potentially could have put out good games. Man has his head in the wrong place when looking for solutions. Maybe someone needs to bet he can't put out a good game, who knows that might motivate him to prove them wrong.

Theecliff

Banned
We have "my condom broke" threads.
We have "this thing on my back is getting bigger" threads.
We have "this girl hit my car what do I do" threads.

How is this so disparate from the norm that it's giving you pause?
i think they were spoofing posts that crop up in a lot of individual content creator review threads like 'why does angryjoe get his own review thread'

Sblargh

Banned
I can't see someone doing this kind of stunt and not think "mentally ill" instead of "evil". Evil would know he was doomed to lose and would just cut his losses and move on.

When people say "I pity you" it is usually bolstering, but in this case... I imagine an unstable person living a nightmare locked inside his own head. Where are the people in his life stopping him? Why his brother is enabling his sickness?

Kthulhu

Finished the video. This dude didn't know when to quit.

I wonder if he represented himself in court because he couldn't get a lawyer to take his case.

Tim Langdell got a trademark on the word "Edge" as it related to video games, but instead of doing anything with it he just trolled anyone who used the word.

Then EA came out with Mirror's Edge, and Langdell tried to sue EA.

That didn't go very well for Langdell.

Now I remember. I forget the dudes name.

Cyanity

Banned
Wow. Can't believe Jim didn't counter sue for damages. He's probably spent around $10k in lawyer's fees at this point, if a similar-length court case my brother went through is any indicator.

We have "my condom broke" threads.
We have "this thing on my back is getting bigger" threads.
We have "this girl hit my car what do I do" threads.

How is this so disparate from the norm that it's giving you pause?

This was a joke about how AngryJoe gets threads and people who dislike him always ask why he gets his own threads.

Wow. Can't believe Jim didn't counter sue for damages. He's probably spent around $10k in lawyer's fees at this point, if a similar-length court case my brother went through is any indicator.

blood from a stone my friend.

A counter lawsuit would cost just as much and end up with even lesser results. Nah, I think humiliating them is good enough. I'm glad Jim Made this video, because it is a good lesson for video game 'journalists' and publishers. He also got the title: "Jim Motherfucking' Sterling Son" out of it.... well, I guess that is also something...

gblues

Banned
The last H3H3 video show how this fuckin thing is hard. Youtube was not going to help in this kind of lawsuit?

Youtube can't even stop fucking Disney from shutting down the official live stream of the Oscars with a copyright claim on their own song being performed by their own stars. They're useless.

The Digital Homicide guy is a real moron.

He had a sweet and easy gig which made lots of money. If he just accepted he had a good con going he could have made enough to retire and rode off into the sunset.

I wish I knew years ago how easy it was to play the Steam system. I'd have done what DH did, but without the suing Jim bit...

Zubz

Banned
I'm sorry to hear you went through this, Jim (Not that it wasn't unexpected, but those fees had to be devastating), but damn, this had to be cathartic. I hate the Schadenfreude, but I loved just feeling you obliterate Romine second-hand.

Hopefully this sets a precedent and stops other devs from being so frivolous.

The Digital Homicide guy is a real moron.

He had a sweet and easy gig which made lots of money. If he just accepted he had a good con going he could have made enough to retire and rode off into the sunset.

I wish I knew years ago how easy it was to play the Steam system. I'd have done what DH did, but without the suing Jim bit...

DH's games sold for nothing and moved single digits in sales, so I very much doubt that.

Message to Digital Homicide:

The gates are down!
The village is pillaged
Your reputation will be damaged from this defeat!

(Taken from their game - Medieval Mercs)

ghostjoke

Banned
Huh. I always knew that they were earning some money on cards and stuff like that, but never would have thought it was that significant, always assumed they'd earn 1-2k a month tops.

The Steam Marketplace is insane when you get into it. If you ever have 40 minutes, Idle Thumbs has a series of emails about it stemming back to the TF2 origins. Giant Bomb have also had some bits about the shadiness such as using Steam to launder money. Stuff like this is always going to attract the likes of Digital Homicide, which makes it all the more crazy that they made themselves such a public figures in the gaming space with the frivolous lawsuits.

The Steam Marketplace is insane when you get into it. If you ever have 40 minutes, Idle Thumbs has a series of emails about it stemming back to the TF2 origins. Giant Bomb have also had some bits about the shadiness such as using Steam to launder money. Stuff like this is always going to attract the likes of Digital Homicide, which makes it all the more crazy that they made themselves such a public figures in the gaming space with the frivolous lawsuits.

On a less creepy note than money laundering*, if you look through some of the evidence on the 100 Steam Users lawsuit, you'll see Romine included comments from "fans" who "were harassed" for "being interested in DH products"... which were people defending/upvoting Digital Homicide games because they know they can turn a profit on the trading cards, and didn't actually give a shit about the games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I8PFCR6z50#t=8m55s

* I'm torn between "HOLY SHIT" and "Eh, what else do I expect from Steam" on this :\

ghostjoke

Banned
On a less creepy note than money laundering*, if you look through some of the evidence on the 100 Steam Users lawsuit, you'll see Romine included comments from "fans" who "were harassed" for "being interested in DH products"... which were people defending/upvoting Digital Homicide games because they know they can turn a profit on the trading cards, and didn't actually give a shit about the games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I8PFCR6z50#t=8m55s

* I'm torn between "HOLY SHIT" and "Eh, what else do I expect from Steam" on this :\

They really should have taken pause around the time they put forward papers to sue "Karl Pilkington" and "Baron von FappyWank"; them attacking people who defended them seems par the course. The whole thing might actually be crazier than them suing Jim in many ways. Disturbing the great beast that is Valve is suicide.

Also, I never meant to imply DH could possibly launder money. I'm sure I've heard Giant Bomb talk about the craziness that goes on in the Steam Marketplace, but that's the only video I could find.

Now that i think about it, I wonder if the lawsuit was primarily to prevent Jim from naming DH as an example in a Jimquisition about their "real business" for as long as possible. Bleh, this is getting off the positive topic and it's best not to try and analyse the logic behind it all.

They really should have taken pause around the time they put forward papers to sue "Karl Pilkington" and "Baron von FappyWank"; them attacking people who defended them seems par the course. The whole thing might actually be crazier than them suing Jim in many ways. Disturbing the great beast that is Valve is suicide.

Also, I never meant to imply DH could possibly launder money.
Oops, I think I mixed up my messages there. Yeah, I didn't think DH was using Steam to launder money, I meant to say "It's not as gross as money laundering, but there's totally people who Greenlight games to make money off the inevitable trading cards, as shown in DH's second lawsuit."

Also, Karl Pilkington and Sebastian von FappyWank weren't the ones defending DH, they were the ones calling out the "I want shitty games on Steam so I can sell the cards" crowd, which DH interpreted as "They're harassing our customers and hurting our business!"

Anything involving DH is a logical clusterfuck.

Top Bottom