• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Kodera Taking Over Andrew House's Position at SIE

Wrynnax

Andrew House quitting in the same year as the CEO Kaz Hirai Twitter quits as well...Coincidence? I think not! Always knew it was Andrew House!

Blueblur1

Jack Tretton, Adam Boyes and now Andy House. I'm gonna miss them all in the keynotes :( I already miss Tretton, tho I gotta say Shawn Layden has been doing a great job so far.

I didn't think I would like Shawn after Tretton but I grew to like Shawn pretty quickly. He does a good job with the presentations and is a good face for the PS brand.

BadWolf

This stuff happens a lot; it didn't just start happening.

Yeah, the difference here is that it's someone we see a few times a year at major conferences so his departure won't go unnoticed.

I didn't think I would like Shawn after Tretton but I grew to like Shawn pretty quickly. He does a good job with the presentations and is a good face for the PS brand.

Ditto, looking forward to Kodera's first conference appearance. Shawn has been great so far.

jett

D-Member
ps3-pricing.jpg

0001-848x528.jpg

It's happened before. PlayStation and Xbox both came off highly successful gens and brand power to have some pretty terrible follow up. But here's hoping it doesn't happen and PS5 is as successful as PS4 has been.

Wii U bombed so hard it's not even remembered among other disasters.

Regarding the PS3 and the Xbox One, you could make the argument they weren't even bigger fuckups due to the brand power that preceded them. PS3 launched at $600. That would've been death for anyone other than the Playstation brand.

Shin

Banned
House did some great stuff during his time as President.

Kodera has some pretty big shoes to fill I think.

I share the same opinion, to be honest I thought when Kaz leaves Sony House would become CEO so this news is rather surprising.
Either way I think it's a rather big deal him leaving Sony.

Ascenion

I share the same opinion, to be honest I thought when Kaz leaves Sony House would become CEO so this news is rather surprising.
Either way I think it's a rather big deal him leaving Sony.

After Stringer I don’t really think the shareholders want another British CEO.

Shin

Banned
After Stringer I don't really think the shareholders want another British CEO.

The nightmare with that guy, though I don't see House in the same light, he's a charismatic person.
I get what you mean, fun fact Stringer's brother (Robert Stringer) is CEO of Sony Music :/

daveo42

Banned
Feels like a full on sea change going on at Sony with House leaving. Jack Trenton left a few years ago along with Adam Boyes just last year. They did alot to push considerable change and turn the Playstation brand around from the PS3.

Good luck in whatever you do House.

dracula_x

Feels like a full on sea change going on at Sony with House leaving. Jack Trenton left a few years ago along with Adam Boyes just last year. They did alot to push considerable change and turn the Playstation brand around from the PS3.

Good luck in whatever you do House.

I think nothing changed actually. For example, Shawn Layden started work at Sony in 1987, Kodera in 1992.

For comparison, Adam Boyes joined PlayStation in 2012.

Thank you Andy for making Playstation great, including for bringing Kojima-san on board with the Death Stranding project.

67021f7f-s.jpg

Yep. Good on him (and the other Playstation execs over the years) for maintaining such a good long-standing relationship with him that put them in a good position to help and collaborate when all that Konami shit went down.
They've even got him and his team cross-engine developing with Guerrilla.

Zok310

Banned
Damn of the 3 major Playstation faces (Kaz, Andrew, Jack) only Kaz remains.
Hope Kaz and Cerny can keep the ship heading in the right direction.
Good luck to this John fella, he has big shoes to fill.

Ascenion

Damn of the 3 major Playstation faces (Kaz, Andrew, Jack) only Kaz remains.
Hope Kaz and Cerny can keep the ship heading in the right direction.
Good luck to this John fella, he has big shoes to fill.

Kaz is the Sony CEO, he has bigger shit to worry about than PlayStation.

katsais

Perhaps Sony is getting this announcement out ahead of PlayStation 5 launch because, if news of his departure breaks afterward, some people will mistakenly interpret (willfully twist) it as a sign of disappointment or displeasure.

This makes sense.

I’m not too familiar with the Sony executive team, but from what I’ve seen, they seem less obnoxious than the Xbox executive team. Turn me off from the brand each time. Hope for the best for PS.

Andrew House, Shu and Layden walk into a bar. The barman looks up, his eyes light up and he shouts: "The next round is on the house!!!"

Andrew House: "For fucks sake not again!!"

Sorry, I just had to share that joke I came up with ;)

Shin

Banned
Perhaps Sony is getting this announcement out ahead of PlayStation 5 launch because, if news of his departure breaks afterward, some people will mistakenly interpret (willfully twist) it as a sign of disappointment or displeasure.

Funny enough that you mention that:
Yasuo Nakane, an analyst at Mizuho Securities, said “there should be no big problem” in the leadership transition with the business on track and talk of a PlayStation 5. “I think it’s not bad timing to hand over now,” he said.

Top Bottom