• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

Interestingly enough, the game clearly is using the art from the website as the basis for the Bary and Sucho textures:

AXrlCaS.png

WpSFfyG.jpg

Timu

Also I still can't believe some people think JP3 is better than The Lost World.
Length is the main strength JP3 has over TLW as it's less painful to watch, and less stupid moments. Though TLW had better action, tension, death scenes, better looking dinos, Ronald and such. Other than that, arguing which is better is like arguing one bad movie is better than the other, either way they still suck.=p

What gets me though is people saying TLW and JP3 are better than World. Fuck that, I had fun with World so that alone makes it better.

I'm still mad that the open world JP3 game got canned at turned into Operation Genesis.

Maybe some day I will get the open world Jurassic game I've been dreaming of ever since Trespasser.

To be fair I think the Jurassic World designers would have been better off copying the old models. I don't think the Pteranodon is the JPIII design at all. It looks unique. And I like the Baryonyx in the sense that it fits in perfectly with the others, probably helps that it's basically just the JPIII Spinosaurus without the sail and a different color scheme, lol.

And there actually is a Suchomimus as well. The angle makes it difficult to tell but it has the proper single crest between its eyes unlike JPIII's Spinosaurus (and this guy's Baryonyx) which had two for some reason.
WpSFfyG.jpg

There's a Spinosaurus there as well and it's just the JPIII one obviously.

I mean, none of the creature designs are realistic but they actually look like they researched their source material (Jurassic Park) unlike Jurassic World's artists who's research seems to have been catching half of Jurassic Park during their lunch break. These renders both match the Jurassic Park aesthetic and are actually pleasing to look at, something most of Jurassic World's designs managed to do neither of.

EDIT: I don't know why both Baryonyx and Suchomimus always seem to appear together in JP stuff. They're both listed on the official Jurassic World website too.

You sure they didn't mix up the models? The hip on the Sucho looks too flat, while you can see a bump/hump shape in the Bary model. The sacral vertebrae are unmistakable in Suchomimus.

Fuchsdh

Also I still can't believe some people think JP3 is better than The Lost World.

As stated, it’s shorter, so on a pure level of pain it’s quicker.

To me it also comes down to the characters. Tea Leoni and William Macy are stupid, but they’re parents, doing the desperate, stupid things parents would do to save their kid. Grant’s colleague is stupid, but it’s stupid born out of a (not so selfish) desire to save their funding, and a (more selfish) desire to make a name for himself. The kid surviving so long doesn't strike me as so implausible as a lot of people make it out to be, aside from, I guess, the T. rex pee, and it's nice to have a kid whose not just insufferable all film long.

Compare to The Lost World, where the film asks me to sympathize with eco-terrorists who are fine with people getting trampled and eaten because “nature shouldn’t be kept in a caaaaage, man”, whose refusal to answer a phone call on Dinosaur Island leads to their friend’s death that they mourn over for absolutely no time, and whose animal expert doesn’t think to remove her bloody shirt and helps kill even more people.

There are some problems throughout JPIII, and ultimately the resolution of the lawyer on the beach and the raptors just buzzing off after they were given the eggs is stupid (I think you could have gotten away with one of those things happening, but not both), but I’m never actively hating anyone in the film the way I do with The Lost World.

So yeah, that’s my argument whenever this gets brought up.

Lego JW came pretty close to my dream-JP game. If only the open-world islands were a bit more fleshed out.

Can't wait to play it, but I've got so many games from my GwG backlog I really can't justify it until it comes down in price more.

You sure they didn't mix up the models? The hip on the Sucho looks too flat, while you can see a bump/hump shape in the Bary model. The sacral vertebrae are unmistakable in Suchomimus.
Just going by what they were labelled. And demoncarnotaur did point out that they do share the color schemes from the designs on the Jurassic World website. The hump on Baryonyx's back and not Suchomimus just looks like a mistake, a pretty minor one in the grand scheme of sins that the actual Jurassic World film inflicted on the world.

Just going by what they were labelled. And demoncarnotaur did point out that they do share the color schemes from the designs on the Jurassic World website. The hump on Baryonyx's back and not Suchomimus just looks like a mistake, a pretty minor one in the grand scheme of sins that the actual Jurassic World film inflicted on the world.

That's very true.

judhudson

Glad to see this thread bumped back up! Here's a status update on my jeep. Getting new tires this week, then will be painting the rims red. That pretty much finishes it other then getting a winch and a lightbar - which will happen sometime next year.

12107813_10208129780701866_4539690627824003884_n.jpg

12240087_10208129782021899_2315161296261481292_n.jpg

Hopefully will have one more set of pics in a couple of weeks when the wheels are painted.

strafer

Glad to see this thread bumped back up! Here's a status update on my jeep. Getting new tires this week, then will be painting the rims red. That pretty much finishes it other then getting a winch and a lightbar - which will happen sometime next year.

12107813_10208129780701866_4539690627824003884_n.jpg

12240087_10208129782021899_2315161296261481292_n.jpg

Hopefully will have one more set of pics in a couple of weeks when the wheels are painted.

Nice, you get a lot of comments driving around?

Jawmuncher

Nope, Colin has stressed in some interviews that it's a placeholder name to simplify discussing it.

It for sure will have 'Jurassic World' rather than 'Park' in the title though.

It's amazing we have had 4 films and they haven't resorted to using something like Extinction....yet

Jawmuncher

they need to change that tagline to "The park is (still apparently) open". I mean, I feel like they are still going to continue to salvage it >_>

I just want some mercenaries vs dinosaur action for a whole movie.
Too bad we're still probably going to be stuck with kids in some form though.
Like I don't even mind the kids in all 4 films, but I don't see how we can get stories with them if they try to expand the horizons.

Then again no one has a clue where Jurassic World can go outside of thinking about another park or island. So will be interesting to see if they do something no one is expecting.

Gravidee

Like I don't even mind the kids in all 4 films, but I don't see how we can get stories with them if they try to expand the horizons.

Then again no one has a clue where Jurassic World can go outside of thinking about another park or island. So will be interesting to see if they do something no one is expecting.

I think it's already been implied in interviews that we're moving away from the island stuff as a main location, and that there may be other companies besides Ingen working on dinosaurs/prehistoric stuff.

You know what I'd like to see? Current animals like lions or bears getting into a fight with something like a raptor. I think the closest "interaction" we saw in previous movies was the Rex and the backyard dog. Goat doesn't count.

EDIT: And neither does the pig.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

I do hope it does break from the formula. Not too far, but enough to make it feel different. I have to say, for how much I poke fun of TLW and how long and drawn-out it is, it DID do something different. When the t-rex hit San Diego, it felt like it changed a bit of the formula. Sure, it still felt like a typical "monster in a city" scenario, but for a JP movie, it at least took out the park and jungles, and moved it. I will give credit to TLW with that. JW did something similar where the park being open, felt like more of a threat since it was a developed place full of people. That's doing something a bit different, too. A rescue mission in 3 was just lame, and only took a bit of an idea that already happened in TLW...

You know what I'd like to see? Current animals like lions or bears getting into a fight with something like a raptor. I think the closest "interaction" we saw in previous movies was the Rex and the backyard dog. Goat doesn't count.

This I would like to see.

I just want to see dinos that don't insta-aggro. Just more animalistic in general, like at the end of JW, it would have been neat to see Blue sort of stay behind, maybe lick some wounds, watch the humans leave, maybe sniff out and check on her sisters before trotting off. Not just up and running off after staring glossy-eyed at Owen.

It's something I always think of when I see that scene. It doesn't seem natural. But I guess there's the sensitive "no tamed dinosaurs" crowd to please. If it were a wolf, it would have followed the humans as a companion.

I expect the new subtitle to be catchy, plot-centric, but still mysterious and vague.

It's amazing we have had 4 films and they haven't resorted to using something like Extinction....yet

Well, it's too 'final' of a title for something that wants to be an ongoing franchise.

Personally I never liked it anyways. It's just too predictable, though it was an old title for JP3 - the logo's for that were interesting.

they need to change that tagline to "The park is (still apparently) open". I mean, I feel like they are still going to continue to salvage it >_>

Nah, the park is gone.. and essentially the islands will be as well, apparently.

Amalthea

Banned
I think the islands were what crippled the sequels most. JW just needs to have enough militarized dinosaurs escaping on the mainland and bingo: Endless story material!

The islands are a character in the franchise now. There's no getting away from them, even if they are not a central location.

They aren't gone entirely I'm sure, but I don't think they'll be a location we spend significant time with in the future films. I wouldn't be surprised to see an opening act of the next film on Nublar, but with the majority happening elsewhere after that is out of the way.

I'm sure Isla Nublar will remain a central location for other Jurassic media and merchandise opportunities.

Chronicle Collectibles have been teasing some their Jurassic Products (all WIP pending approval).

Here's the 1:5th 'Bull' Tyrannosaurus from The Lost World:

12247728_10206844230317011_2707089612864743260_o.jpg

11222532_10206856040052247_6042539311956488386_n.jpg

And here's a early 3D sculpt of the JP Tyrannosaurus Rex breakout scene:

LoTpab5.jpg

They have one more product atm, which they haven't talked about yet. It's looking nice.. I think will people will be excited. Plus a lot more is coming.

Chronicle Collectibles have been teasing some their Jurassic Products (all WIP pending approval).

LoTpab5.jpg

They have one more product atm, which they haven't talked about yet. It's looking nice.. I think will people will be excited. Plus a lot more is coming.

Oh god, I'm going to need the breakout model.

They aren't gone entirely I'm sure, but I don't think they'll be a location we spend significant time with in the future films. I wouldn't be surprised to see an opening act of the next film on Nublar, but with the majority happening elsewhere after that is out of the way.

I'm sure Isla Nublar will remain a central location for other Jurassic media and merchandise opportunities.

I'm 90% sure Blue's story is what will connect us to the island. They made it very clear at the end of the film (let alone the final shot of Blue running away through the ruined park) that her story is just beginning.

How dumb is the plot going to be if the characters need to go back to Nublar just to pick up a single animal?

The fact that they see Owen and what's her face as important to the series going forward is bad enough, don't bend over backwards to include a specific raptor.

How dumb is the plot going to be if the characters need to go back to Nublar just to pick up a single animal?

The fact that they see Owen and what's her face as important to the series going forward is bad enough, don't bend over backwards to include a specific raptor.

I love how you're supposedly putting together an entire hypothetical plot based on my assumptions.

Javin98

Banned
So I don't know if this is relevant here, but I'll just post it here. So, for a very long time most of us thought it was Delta who was thrown away and possibly survived. However, last week or so, someone on the wiki provided evidence that it was actually Echo that was thrown and Delta got burnt instead. Anyone else shocked by this?

Jawmuncher

So I don't know if this is relevant here, but I'll just post it here. So, for a very long time most of us thought it was Delta who was thrown away and possibly survived. However, last week or so, someone on the wiki provided evidence that it was actually Echo that was thrown and Delta got burnt instead. Anyone else shocked by this?

Wouldn't surprise me, it's hard to keep track of the raptors aside from blue during the movie.
Especially at night.

Javin98

Banned
Wouldn't surprise me, it's hard to keep track of the raptors aside from blue during the movie.
Especially at night.
Yep, that's probably the reason most of us got confused. But you can see Echo's stripes clearly here:
latest

A pic from the wiki. Personally, I was very shocked to find out and actually went straight to this part on my Blu Ray disc just to verify and damn, it was true. I was pretty shaken when I saw at least two of those poor raptors die the first time I watched the movie and I was pretty shocked to know this too.

strafer

LoTpab5.jpg

I want this in my backyard

6597815_orig.jpg

This is a nicer box than the early box set if you ask me.
However you slide the discs in, rather than place them like in normal cases.
In case that is a turn off doe someone. But for all the movies on Bluray including both 3D BRs of JP1 and JW still worth it.

It's a cool box, but I despise the logo - same with the last set.

Why we can't get something that doesn't seem JP3 inspired is beyond me.

Why did they remove the Spinosaurus from JPIII's logo anyway? I'm always afraid I'm going to decide to randomly buy a new Jurassic Park bluray and accidentally buy JPIII.

Top Bottom