• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just held the WiiU controller for the first time...

I used it today as well. It felt great, awesome dpad, and very ergonomic. I honestly don't know how people's opinions can be so different.

KevinCow

Banned
I honestly think it's one of the most comfortable controllers I've held. Reminds me of the Gamecube controller, the way it just melts into my hands, except it's got the buttons and clicky sticks that the Gamecube was missing, plus a d-pad that doesn't suck. Size wasn't an issue, and I forgot the buttons were below the right stick after playing for only a few minutes.

Insaniac

First of all, its very light.

Secondly, who here actually plays with a controller and DOESN'T rest their elbows on their knees or something, seriously.

I honestly think it's one of the most comfortable controllers I've held. Reminds me of the Gamecube controller, the way it just melts into my hands, except it's got the buttons and clicky sticks that the Gamecube was missing, plus a d-pad that doesn't suck. Size wasn't an issue, and I forgot the buttons were below the right stick after playing for only a few minutes.

Sold.

What type of battery life are we expecting from the gamepad?
According to Nintendo like 3 hours I think. They really cheaped out on the battery.

Hiltz

What type of battery life are we expecting from the gamepad?

It's said to last between 3-5 hours (depends on the brightness of the screen) and takes two and a half hours to charge. However, you can continue to use the GamePad while it is charging. The Pro Classic Controller has an 80 hour battery life. By the way, the GamePad uses a lithium-ion battery and the controller weighs 1.1 pounds (500g).

pringles

I don't have any problems holding a textbook open for long periods of time, but that doesn't mean it's a practical size for a video game controller.

It probably just takes getting used to, I'm sure they've tested this extensively to get the right screen size vs. controller size ratio. But it's an obvious and legitimate gripe and it's silly for people to get so defensive about it.
There really isn't just one possible width that is possible for your hands to be resting comfortably in your lap. And it isn't because of that non-existing value that video-game controllers are the size they are. They just haven't had anything to put in the middle of the left and right side before. There weren't scientists in ergonomics and human physiology that said "The only practical size for a video-game controller is THIS! Any wider would be insanity!". That didn't happen.

Poyunch

Felt good to me. I was just surprised at how wide it was when I first saw it. But also all the games I've played on it haven't used the gyro so I don't know how that feels.

I thought the gamepad was pretty light, and it felt great to hold. I was pretty impressed by the screen as well, super crisp and bright.

I used it today as well. It felt great, awesome dpad, and very ergonomic. I honestly don't know how people's opinions can be so different.

Because, fellow Auburn buddy, a lot of people are going into this launch with negative preconceived notions about Nintendo and their console for babies. I also used the controller and it felt great.

Fox Mulder

It's said to last between 3-5 hours (depends on the brightness of the screen) and takes two and a half hours to charge. However, you can continue to use the GamePad while it is charging. The Pro Classic Controller has an 80 hour battery life. By the way, the GamePad uses a lithium-ion battery and the controller weighs 1.1 pounds (500g).

That's pretty shitty battery life. I'm guessing they'll include some awful two foot charging cable like everyone else too.

That's pretty shitty battery life. I'm guessing they'll include some awful two foot charging cable like everyone else too.

The pad has it's own separate wall charger, not sure how long the cable is, but at least you have the option of using an extension cord if you really want to.

Held it myself for the first time today.

Comfy to hold, awkward to actually use though, especially the shoulder buttons.

Though.. I imagine an adjustment could be made with extended use.

I thought it was extremely comfortable, and less heavy than a wiresless 360 controller.

OP, do you think you have to hold the GamePad in an upright position while standing in your house?

I'm confused.

Held it myself for the first time today.

Comfy to hold, awkward to actually use though, especially the shoulder buttons.

Though.. I imagine an adjustment could be made with extended use.

products%5CSAFETY%20PRODUCTS.A1.SKIN%20CARE%20PRODUCTS.SKINCARE%5CUV%20SKIN%20LOTION.SKINCARE%20K%5CSKINCARE%20K_I002001hand_WebPic1.JPG

Thread made for an opinion contrary to every opinion I heard at the two trade shows I've attended this year... oh you.

You're entitled to that opinion of course, but yes, I've held it - and it feels great. Surprisingly light (comfortable enough to hold in one hand), and has great rear-ergonomics.

For everyone who might not take to it so nicely, there's the pro controller.

ohlawd

I'm really going to miss the freedom afforded by separate controllers for each hand. One of Wii's truly great unsung innovations.

;_;

There's nothing quite like sitting on an armrest chair, nunchuck resting on the left and wiimote on the right.

Came back from Wal Mart to pick up a few things, and I saw a demo station. No games were playable, but yeah, this thing is huge. The plus side is even though I have tiny hands, I can hold it fine, but just in general, the damn thing is almost as big as the console.

Erm, how big are your hands? And this really doesn't need it's own thread, we already have an impressions one for posts like this.

jman2050

They actually had it in my Walmart today, surprisingly enough.

I didn't really think to use the controller (since for whatever reason my station had no demos on it whatsoever) but based on my short experience the touch screen is pretty damn good for finger-use. Much better than even the 3DS screen.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'm really going to miss the freedom afforded by separate controllers for each hand. One of Wii's truly great unsung innovations.

agreed, but I will also give a big welcome back to the fact i can finally place my arms wherever I want to while playing

I want an 'official' Wii U Gamepad pouch at launch; any ideas? By 'official' I mean made specifically for it. Hopefully not from GameStop; don't do that anymore.

AzaK

Don't worry. Pikmin and CoD have you covered. You can play with the Wii Remote and also do stuff on the pad at the same time!

Touched it, held it and played it at the Eurogamer Expo. I was actually surprised at how light and comfortable it was to hold despite its size.

zroid

Banned
agreed, but I will also give a big welcome back to the fact i can finally place my arms wherever I want to while playing

Hah, that's true, although it's also the reason I prefer gyro to IR pointing.

Don't worry. Pikmin and CoD have you covered. You can play with the Wii Remote and also do stuff on the pad at the same time!

Indeed. Hopefully devs won't abandon the Wiimote+nunchuk combo as time goes on. :)

Hi five!

Dear Zen Pinball 2 Devs please add PlayStation Move Support ok thanks goodbye!

but hopefully Sony is planning a DualMoveShock controller for the PS4.

God yes. To both.

gatti-man

I played with the wii u for the first time today and was really impressed! Loved the design and all in all I went from a won't buy to a want to buy. Looks very quality and fun.

Alex

The only qualm I have with it is the battery life, just way too low, especially when you apparently can't even tether it directly to the machine.

Berg

The only qualm I have with it is the battery life, just way too low, especially when you apparently can't even tether it directly to the machine.

I get the battery life issue. But I'd assume it would be a quicker charge and mor convenient to charge with an A/C adapter you can plug in anywhere (next to your couch)

Alex

I get the battery life issue. But I'd assume it would be a quicker charge and mor convenient to charge with an A/C adapter you can plug in anywhere (next to your couch)

It'd be easier to charge in use just going from the front of the machine, traditional style, rather than having to run to a wall unit, IMO. Also, I really dont need any more shit to plug in. :lol

I just grabbed one at Best Buy and have to say I was mostly looking at the lower screen the whole time. I almost prefer it was just the lower screen since I prefer handhelds

Top Bottom