• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT7| A Great Trash Leader as Always

Pendulum

Rl7pfzx.png

ultra7k

Throwback Thursday:

Saw an article where Kan Mi Yeon talks about a Baby V.O.X reunion. I guess?

Get Up - This song really put them on the map. Sure Ya Ya Ya was a hit, this was better than any of their previous two albums by far.

Also, Yoon Eun Hye was super unpopular at the time. She was by far and away the youngest member of the group (only 15) and didn't really fit the image of the group. The crowd would be super loud at the other members parts, but when it was her line just silence. I think she got attacked once before as well - but has obviously gone on to be a successful actress.

In what way do you actually think Twice are overrated though?

Honestly? A K-Pop group should be music first and personalities second, what we have with Twice is the total opposite of that. When I watch fancams or their live performances, it honestly just seems like they're going through the motions with their routine and fanservice. On the other hand when they're on Weekly Idol or Knowing Brothers, they shine really bright even if their appearance is shitty at best. They know how to play the camera and audience and that's about it really.

I'm not gonna lie, I do enjoy watching their fanservice, but musically, you might as well put them on mute... it makes no difference to me.

Contrast that with their contemporaries like GFriend, Red Velvet and maybe even Blackpink. RV might've sucked with Russian Roulette, but One Of These Nights is one of the greatest songs all year... it's truly a beautiful piece of music. And guess what, they also know how to play to the camera and audience with weird shit like Irene being a master of ironing clothes.

Blackpink on the other hand, musically it's a little too early to judge them but we've got four songs and two of them(Playing With Fire and Stay) are musically more interesting than the pop drivel that Twice released since they debuted. Personality wise, ask me again when they finally get on Weekly Idol this week or the next.

And of course, last but certainly not least... GFriend. When they did the Mamamoo/GFriend Showtime thing, I was initially skeptical coz GFriend seems boring as fnck with their "pure" image, but ironically enough, they're actually a riot and fun to watch. Admittedly, I'm not quite a fan of their music since it's all pure and cutesy, but it sounds really interesting and the choreography is stunning to watch.

To put it in perspective, in the latest episode of Knowing Brothers with MMA man Choo Sung-hoon and Soshi's Yuri, those old dudes on KB could whistle Gee's and Genie's chorus off the top of their head. And it's been 7 years since both of those songs came out!

Twice on the other hand may have the most viewed video on YouTube, hell it could sell gangbusters and create a new record in the worldwide charts but views and sales don't mean shit to the average listener. They need a memorable tune but they don't have that, all they have are memes... and no one's gonna remember a meme 7 years from now.

TL;DR: Twice is overrated coz they are musically inferior to other girl groups who are both musically talented and full of personality.

I think we can all agree that J-line is OP. Nothing to overrate there, they are just that good.

This one I'll forever agree, at least until one of them announces they're dating somebody haha.

I... I think Mina is kinda boring. She's so shy, not comfortable in front of a camera. Tzuyu is even more so. Her singing is fine, but when it comes to videos she's featured in, I tend to pass.

Quoting for truth, but I think that is Mina's appeal though. Her shyness is endearing to watch, and when she breaks out of that, it's just super cute to watch.

Tzuyu on the other hand I think is overtly cautious coz of the Taiwan bullshit that went down early in the year. She's probably keeping a close of watch of her words and deeds hence why she seems quite boring.

Loci

Twice is overrated in the sense that they are literally everywhere and being the most successful girl group atm. While their music isn't THAT great.
JYP gave his best single this year (Nomunomunomu) to IOI instead of Twice haha.
Also, their dancing looked kinda lazy lately.
best selling album of all time on gaon
SugEcGH.png

eEoLY9H.gif

and how many crazy fan girls bought it just because of this exact reason?
To be the best male group, to outshine EXO etc etc.
These fanwars about youtube views (lol) and the like are just batshine insane

I do fully agree that they are really really good. My favorite male group as well and their music is consistently one jam after another.
But, when skimming through the comment section of BTS and/or EXO related content one has to wonder whether these people completely lost their sanity.

Peru

There aren't many rookie groups 'full of personality' and if there are some they're not selling it as well as Twice, who manage to infuse it into their MVs, promotional material otherwise, through heavy use of platforms such as V live. I mean, that AND the fact that they're 'visually appealing' but don't look like carbon copies. It's a very solid mainstream recipe.

I like Cheer Up but am not super sold on their music otherwise. But it's not that hard to see why they took off even more than usual from a JYP group.

--

Time for k-pop groups to get behind this: http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/phone/news/view.jsp?req_newsidx=217898

llehuty

TT is fantastic, it's one of my favorite releases of the year. And people dismissing them as being unable to release good music, lol. JYP is sticking to one formula with them now with the type of singles they are releasing, but that doesn't mean he is not going to switch it up at some point and release something more appealing to your tastes. C'mon they just debuted one year ago. I would rather have them not peak too early.

As a reference, SNSD released as singles in their first active year: Into the new world, the cover of Girls Generation, Kissing you baby and Baby baby (I don't even knoe what the hell is this song).

_____

And mess at April changing its lineup once again. DSP should have put her into April since day zero. Now I'm wondering what the hell they are going to do with Youngji and Somin...

Peru

Into the new world Baby baby (I don't even knoe what the hell is this song).

ITNW is an all-time classic. Baby baby is also great. Actually their first album is probably the best outside of the first Japanese album. Cutesy but chock full of melodies.

llehuty

ITNW is an all-time classic. Baby baby is also great. Actually their first album is probably the best outside of the first Japanese album. Cutesy but chock full of melodies.
ITNW is great, I agree. Just listened to Baby baby and is definitely not my thing.

I would also like if Twice was at the level of non stop quality releases of KARA and 9muses (no playboy didn't happen), but it's just, not realistic. They would be probably less popular if they had went the quality route instead of the catchy formulaic they have now anyway.

I just find it so disingenuous to argue that Twice are succeeding just on visuals. TWICEcoaster didn't sell 90k albums in a week without the music appealing to a huge number of people.

Peru

I agree with that, the first single grows on you and Cheer Up has a huge chorus.. I still don't think TT is all that catchy, though, but they sell it I guess. What I've heard from the albums sound super bland however.

Wabi

Neo Member
If we're basing it on the music they've put out up to now, I'd say Twice don't deserve their success.

I haven't rlly got into them as a whole yet. I just like individuals in the group, less than half of them.

llehuty

Just to refresh peoples memories, Cheer Up is the biggest hit of this year, at the level of EXID's Up & Down, Crayon Pop's Bar Bar Bar or Gfriend's Me gustas tú. Of course it's not only the music that plays into this, but it's definitely a big factor.

[M/V] 나만 안되는 연애(Hard To Love) - 볼빨간사춘기(Bolbbalgan4)
Bolbbalgan4 with a quick MV release to ride on their sudden popularity.

Let's Dance:MOMOLAND(모모랜드)becomes BABOLAND because of ‘JJan’?_JJan! Koong! Kwang!(짠쿵쾅)
lol, they are so noisy, I might end up checking "Finding Momoland". I didn't know the group was produced by Duble Kick.

llehuty

I really don't see any other song released this year getting the public response that they got in that Yonsei festival, maybe Gfriend's Rough?

Peru

TL;DR: Twice is overrated coz they are musically inferior to other girl groups who are both musically talented and full of personality.

This is exactly how I feel. I like the members of Twice but I do not think they should be at the top of K-Pop right now if we basing it on just their music.

I feel a lot of the rookie groups out there are full of personality. Even the ones from B-tier groups. A lot of them are stuck with crappy concepts (Lovelyz, WJSN), or haven't found their identity yet (DIA, Laboum). Thats why I find Blackpink so refreshing.

I honestly do not think there is a clear cut best rookie group yet (maybe Blackpink), but a lot of the fans and the media have already given that title to Twice. I just don't think their songs are that good.

Lastly, am I the only one who thinks the rappers + Nayeon are the best members of Twice?

broz0rs

Let's not forget that SNSD were the queens of variety at one point and fans were always eager as to which shows they would appear. They pretty much had it all, and I think TWICE seems like the group that can replicate in that area. Musically, they are just in their first year and if JYPE plays it correctly and put their best resources to them, they'll have a banger eventually. Also want to point out EXO hasn't made a dent in variety, had just one memorable single (Growl), and is arguably the biggest group in Korea.

Peru

I wouldn't say EXO are the biggest group in Korea, in fact I think they kinda lost their top spot quicker than previous SM boy bands. The member exodus didn't help. They feel a bit like SuJu post-2011 in that they still sell a lot of albums but don't dominate the watercooler talk anymore. They were the hottest male sex symbols in the country when I lived there though.

Ashhong

Twice is overrated in the sense that they are literally everywhere and being the most successful girl group atm. While their music isn't THAT great.
JYP gave his best single this year (Nomunomunomu) to IOI instead of Twice haha.
Also, their dancing looked kinda lazy lately.

I do fully agree that they are really really good. My favorite male group as well and their music is consistently one jam after another.
But, when skimming through the comment section of BTS and/or EXO related content one has to wonder whether these people completely lost their sanity.

I wasn't here when nomunomunomu came out, did you all like it? That song is shit tier

베리굿(BerryGood) - '안 믿을래' 안무영상 (Dance practice)
Watch dat arm flailing in all its glory. The formation transitions are quite cool, though.

Do labels not realize that half of the appeal of dance practice vids are short shorts and t-shirts? Or maybe that's just me

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
sorry, should've been more clear

ranking latest releases from groups that are in the spotlight

ioi >>>>> twice >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> bp

isuzu

You need to remember BTS doesn't have China.

I'm a fan of both and they are REALLY different. EXO achieved success with their 2nd release just because they had a hit song. If you think about it, every group that's been gaining some sort of recognition had a hit song, with the exception of two groups: BTS and Seventeen. EXO had Growl plus their insane Chinese fanbase, thus becoming a triple million seller. BTS had a 3 year build up with good music and a very smart CEO. ARMY is a huge fandom split between east and west and it's getting bigger by the minute because Big Hit knows how to use social media and Armys are annoying and beg for people to give BTS a listen. I'm not denying the bulk buying thing, but if a group has a fansign then there will be fans buying 4357893476 cds to get in.

Also, I don't think that Armys objective was to make BTS the #1 seller, but now that we know that's possible exo-l better save their money because SM will probably turn EXO into suju2 and give NCT all the attention because that's an expensive mess if I've ever seen one.

luso

Youtube and easy internet access is now ubiquitous in everyday life, any device, TVs, tablets, smartphones, consoles, media players, cars, refrigerators), have internet access. Just PC on the old days. New records will be made for sure.

Oooh Ahhh > Cheer Up >>>>>> TT

Practice videos should be simple, but hail HD. Evolution: Genie, Chocolate Love, Oh, The Boys, Mr. Taxi and Mr. Mr.
IGAB is in SM dungeon, it exists but never released :(

That T-ara Tiamo song, it's just bland, what a waste for a comeback.

broz0rs

Also, I don't think that Armys objective was to make BTS the #1 seller, but now that we know that's possible exo-l better save their money because SM will probably turn EXO into suju2 and give NCT all the attention because that's an expensive mess if I've ever seen one.

I don't know if SM will give EXO the senior tour treatment just yet. They had their first tour of Japan this year and iirc they broke into the top 10 in Japanese concert sales even when they absolutely half-assed their promotions there. Plus, with BIGBANG set to enlist, EXO can make a run at being the top kpop act in Japan. By the way, there's nothing in this industry that brings more money than concerts in Japan. RIP YG 2017-2018

I hope Entourage picks up as it goes along, show feels like it's trying to adhere too closely to the original (without going anywhere near as far) instead of being its own thing. Should get some decent music out of it though with the soundtrack lineup.

vanty

Do you guys still use the IRC channel? I've been using Discord chat stuff recently in the lead up to a little Splatoon tournament tonight and I really like it.

Who are these girls? This song got me to listen to their entire album and it's full of good shit from start to finish. I think I'm gonna need to stan them lol.

Why do you think they have become so much more popular then compared to everyone else?

The JYP hype machine.

If Twice debuted under another agency without the hype machine of the big three and without Sixteen, I imagine they wouldn't be as successful as they are right now. Successful enough to be a mid-tier group at best, but that's about it really.

TT is fantastic, it's one of my favorite releases of the year. And people dismissing them as being unable to release good music, lol. JYP is sticking to one formula with them now with the type of singles they are releasing, but that doesn't mean he is not going to switch it up at some point and release something more appealing to your tastes. C'mon they just debuted one year ago. I would rather have them not peak too early.

"Not peak too early?" I take it that you also see that they don't really have lasting power either, but CMIIW.

All I'm really asking for from Twice is a song that I'd actually give them my money and time... none of their 3 releases have done that. Meanwhile I bought Hyolyn's One Step, Ailee's new EP, Shinee's 1 of 1 and BP's Square Two in the last month. Hell I just bought Bolbbalgan4's Red Planet on iTunes! I didn't even know who they were 3 hours ago, yet I already have their album.

I'm not asking for Twice to release folk-pop or some kind of R&B aesthetic jam like Ladies Code, I just want a song that I can actually connect and jam out to. And y'all know my weird ass musical tastes lol.

I just find it so disingenuous to argue that Twice are succeeding just on visuals. TWICEcoaster didn't sell 90k albums in a week without the music appealing to a huge number of people.

Again, they can sell gangbusters and many people might like their songs but at the end of the day, it's basic pop drivel. No one's gonna remember the melody to Cheer Up 7 years from now, but they sure as hell will remember shashasha.

Yes lol, twice is just pop drivel. Manufactured. They don't write their own music! They can't play their own instruments! I was born in the wrong generation!

sa201674

Banned
Ok I'm not into K-pop but I'm just curious, is there a sudden rise in k-Pop popularity starting from last year? And what caused this?

From where I'm from (Philippines), K-pop was very popular during 2008-2010 with the the Wondergirls' "Nobody" and 2ne1's "Fire" being geuinely mainstream.
No mainstream hit from 2011-2014 save for gangnam style

In 2015, Bigbang's "Fantastic Baby" was mainstream but only that.
This year? I feel like there are more obsessed K-poo fans then before.
Nothing wrong with that of course but I wonder

Top Bottom