• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kansas set to pass one of the most anti gay laws in America

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimawolf

http://www.kansas.com/2014/02/06/3271717/house-committee-approves-religious.html

The Kansas House will move forward with a bill that would give government employees the right to refuse service to same-sex couples on the basis of their religious beliefs.

Republican supporters of House Bill 2453 say the bill concerns religious liberty. Democratic opponents said the bill unfairly targets gay Kansans. The two sides talked circles around each other Thursday at a meeting of the House Committee on Federal and State Affairs.

Passages from the Kansas Bill of Rights were read, allusions to the Pilgrims fleeing religious persecution were made, and surreal hypothetical questions were posed by each side. In the end, the bill passed through committee and will now head to the floor for a vote in the near future.

Gov. Sam Brownback said that he has yet to read the bill, but called himself a “strong proponent and supporter for religious liberty.”

“Religious liberty issues are ones that I’ve been around for a long time. … I’ve fought for religious liberty in many countries and with many different faiths,” Brownback said. “It’s basic in the Bill of Rights.”

The bill was drafted in reaction to federal court rulings overturning same-sex marriage bans in other states, said Rep. Steve Brunk, R-Wichita, the committee’s chairman. In 2005, Kansas voters overwhelmingly approved an amendment to the state constitution to ban gay marriage.

The scope of the bill introduced by Rep. Charles Macheers, R-Shawnee has been hotly debated. The bill goes further than past legislation concerning same-sex marriage because it extends to private businesses as well as government employees.

If the bill becomes law, public and private employees alike could refuse service to same-sex couples based on their religious beliefs concerning marriage. Because religion is a protected status, the employer could not terminate the employee for this refusal. The law would also shield private businesses from discrimination lawsuits.

A provision requires government agencies to still provide the requested service, but individual clerks could object to signing a marriage license, for example. Rep. Travis Couture-Lovelady, R-Palco, introduced an amendment, which passed, that would exempt private businesses from the same legal obligation.

Rep. Ponka-We Victors, D-Wichita, said this would mean that gay Kansans’ tax dollars would be paying for their own discrimination.

Couture-Lovelady said opponents claiming the bill is meant to discriminate against gays have distracted from the real issue at stake. He said the bill protects religious liberty and has a narrow focus on the celebration of marriage.

Tom Witt, spokesman for an Equality Kansas, an LGBT rights organization, objected to that claim.

“He’s incorrect,” Witt said. “The distraction is making this about wedding cakes. It’s not about wedding cakes.

“It’s about telling government employees they don’t have to do their jobs. They can pretend legal marriages don’t exist.”

Witt pointed to a section of the bill that exempts public and private employees from having to “treat any marriage, domestic partnership, civil union or similar arrangement as valid.” Witt and other opponents say this provision means that the bill reaches much further than proponents have suggested.

“That’s not about the ceremony. That’s not about the wedding cake,” Witt said.

Rep. Annie Tietze, D-Topeka, introduced an amendment that would remove government entities from the bill and also remove the inclusion of adoption services, but would still protect religious institutions like Catholic Charities. Tietze argued government services should be for everyone.

Her amendment failed to gain support.

Rep. Emily Perry, D-Mission, voiced her opposition to the bill by quoting the Kansas Bill of Rights.

“All men are possessed of equal and inalienable natural rights,” read Perry. “All men,” she repeated.

Brunk pushed back against criticisms that the bill would violate the rights of some Kansans by allowing government employees to discriminate against them.

“So if somebody is employed by a governmental entity as opposed to a private entity, do they no longer have very, very basic religious protections?” he asked. “I mean that’s fundamental within our constitution.”

Though he said the bill was in response to federal court rulings, Brunk denied that the bill targets same-sex couples specifically.

“It has do with marriage,” Brunk said. He said that the bill protects individuals from being forced to do something “that celebrates or solemnizes in some way a marriage, whether it’s a homosexual marriage or a heterosexual marriage.”

“The bill is clear about cutting both ways on that,” Brunk said.

During the hearing Brunk even presented an elaborate hypothetical that the bill would protect a signmaker who supports gay marriage from having to make a protest sign for the Westboro Baptist Church.

Other supporters of the bill warned of religious persecution.

Rep. Allan Rothlisberg, R-Garden Plaza, invoked the image of the Pilgrims fleeing Europe. Rep. Willie Dove, R-Bonner Springs, said religious freedom was in “jeopardy” and compared the situation to racial discrimination.

Witt pointed out that under current Kansas law, churches are exempt from performing same-sex weddings and businesses are already free to refuse service, as sexual orientation is not protected under the state’s anti-discrimination law. He said this bill doesn’t change that.

What it would do, however, is give government employees the right to exclude gay couples even if the courts rule same-sex marriage to be legal, he argued.

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2014/02/06/3271717/house-committee-approves-religious.html#storylink=cpy

Wow is all I have to say. As a Missourian I'm ashamed of my own state and our next door neighbor. Missouri and Kansas are very strange states, the big cities are pretty liberal and open, but it's all those small towns and rural people who seem to be anti gay/black/poor/everything else.

Ridiculous.

So could I claim my deeply held religious beliefs consider heterosexual marriage a sin, and then sit on my ass all day while drawing a paycheck?

So what if you are a fundamentalist Mormon that buys into the view that the dark skinned people are the evil people. Should they be allowed to not serve black people as part of their 'religious freedom'?

(Yes, I know this is not mainstream LDS view at all.)

commedieu

Banned
both sid...

wait, no, it just says republicans.

edit;

This has no chance in hell of lasting, outside of making a few Nombloggers happy for the day, right?? Its not going to be all good... with this... right?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This discriminates against me. My religious beliefs dictate that I cannot serve straight couples.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
So what if you are a fundamentalist Mormon that buys into the view that the dark skinned people are the evil people. Should they be allowed to not serve black people as part of their 'religious freedom'?

Yeah, they changed that like a week ago dude. Get with the always changing Mormon bullshit dude!

...as of like a couple months ago. And I believe in that case they wouldn't be allowed to refuse service as race is a federally protected class, while sexual orientation isn't.

Aesius

Will someone please think of those poor persecuted Christians? They should never have to put up with being in the presence of such Satanic perversion.

Monocle

My religious beliefs stipulate that I can only serve fellow gay atheists, and I must, I repeat must, lay a hot turd in the hands of every single Bible thumper I meet.

I know that may sound unusual, and rather unfair to people with different beliefs, but it is my firm conviction that my salvation is at stake here.

P.S. In my religion, salvation means personal amusement. Basically I am entitled to do whatever I want.

P.P.S. Don't question the sincerity of my belief. If people can choose to be gay, I can choose to believe in the religion I just invented.

This discriminates against me. My religious beliefs dictate that I cannot serve straight couples.
Oh man. If this thing happens I seriously hope there is at least one sane and decent government clerk who will do this. Hell, say your religion prevents you from serving ANY people and then just sit on your ass all day NOT getting fired. Lol, fuck these jokers.

Riki

Is there a way we can remove Kansas, put it ontop of Texas, then push every state from there and east out towards a mega volcano in the middle of the ocean?
Just as a hypothetical.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
My religious beliefs strongly state that I have to cleanse anyone I meet directly in the face with my urine, otherwise they are unclean and immoral. I feel so persecuted that I cannot fulfill my sacred duty and bestow my holy pee on the grateful faces of everyone I meet.

docbon

If an individual were employed by a governmental entity
or non-religious entity, and that individual declined to provide
a lawful service otherwise consistent with that entity’s duties
or policies, then the employer providing such service, in
directing the performance of such service, would be required
to promptly provide another employee to provide the service
or otherwise ensure the service was provided, if it could be
done without undue hardship to the employer.

And if they can't do that...?

Fury Sense

If it's not currently legal for government employees to refuse service to same-sex couples based on their religious beliefs, shouldn't it be illegal to pass this bill? trollface.jpg

Chumly

So what happens when Christians become minorities and everyone starts to ACTUALLY persecuting them. Freedom of religion right? I don't want to serve Christians.

I mean have they thought how fucking stupid this is.

Could a Gay government employee refuse to recognize heterosexual marriages???

Wazzy

Banned
This is me to you right now Kansas if you pass this.

ynZfXFx.gif

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
You can almost hear the sigh of the supreme court justices as they lean back heavily into their chairs and begin to make room on their calendar to hear this one when it's kicked up.

Goldrush

Oh man. If this thing happens I seriously hope there is at least one sane and decent government clerk who will do this. Hell, say your religion prevents you from serving ANY people and then just sit on your ass all day NOT getting fired. Lol, fuck these jokers.

I'm pretty sure everyone that works at the DMV near me already thought of this.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This is like legally the worst possible strategy for their cause and will only serve to accelerate the supreme court having to vote it down(after desperately seeking a 5-4 way to punt it back to a lower court.

This is like legally the worst possible strategy for their cause and will only serve to accelerate the supreme court having to vote it down(after desperately seeking a 5-4 way to punt it back to a lower court.
Yeah, if I didn't know better it seems deliberately designed to highlight and promote gay rights in America.

Damaniel

Banned
Dear Kansas,

You know that shit they're doing in Uganda and Russia? Those are not examples to follow. The rest of the civilized world laughs at them for their backwards beliefs, and we'll have to start doing the same to you if you continue to insist on living in the 19th century.

Sincerely,

Everybody who doesn't give a shit about who loves who, regardless of what some 'holy book' supposedly says.

I always think it is hilarious when people cite the pilgrims as escaping religious persecution. It's a load of crap. The pilgrims were fucking extremists. Us praising the pilgrims for "escaping persecution" is like praising the Taliban for fleeing to caves to escape religious persecution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom