• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Khronos files trademark for "Vulkan". glNext's official name?

http://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/2xgzll/glnext_to_be_named_vulkan_api_khronos_group/

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=86539994&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

Computer software, namely application programming interfaces for the purpose of creating, rendering, and displaying 2D and 3D computer graphics; computer software, namely application programming interfaces for the purpose of accessing parallel computing resources; downloadable specifications for the aforementioned goods

Now, since the name is volcano in other languages this might strenghten the Mantle->glNext theories haha

glNext is going to be unveiled next week on the 5th

I don't see the connection to Mantle. This clearly a hommage to Leonard Nimoy.

as from that thread, it has already begun

Mantle was always shown as a cutaway view of the Earth.

http://core5.staticworld.net/images/article/2013/09/amd-mantle-primary-100055857-large.png

If the Earth (Mantle) opens up you get a Vulcano. Vulkan -> OpenMantle. My guess.
This might also explain why AMD did not release a Public SDK and all specs last year, even though they promised to do that in November. They said they'll release it by the end of the year. I guess AMD wants Mantle to live on as Vulkan. We know that AMD gave Khornos complete insight into Mantle. On its own Mantle would never have survived without Intel, NVIDIA support and as a Windows only API that doesn't even work on all AMD cards. All the Mantle people (the Frostbite Engine guy and StarSwarm Demo people) are also on board to create the new Khronos API. This would also explain how they created it so fast and already have working drivers. Can't be a coincidence.

lol

the Mantle connection theories started to pop up when next week's session was announced. Basically glNext gets announced last August, immediately AMD offers Mantle to Khronos, and then half year later glNext is already ready to show, so people "made the connection"

this was filed on the 19th btw

Nzyme32

Yeah the Vulkan spelling seems to suggest the German word for Volcano. With the whole Mantle API metaphor, this is a pretty inspired progression. Not sure if that simply means the breaking of the crust "opening access" to Mantle, or if it means a literal transition to the opened up Mantle being released. Hopefully they've messed with it and improved it in some competitive new ways

I eagerly await more metaphors.

Nzyme32

glNext sounds fine to me.

I think glNext is a crap name. It has no inspiration or character and leads the inevitable issue of nomenclature for future itterations (glNextier, glNextest?).

Vulkan is fine understanding the origin, but that trademark text thing is a bit.... eh.. if it is the actual final thing. The OpenGL ones look so out dated anyway

This appears to now be confirmed.

Michael Larabel said:
As a follow-up to last week's "Vulkan" trademark by the Khronos Group and mulling it over this weekend, I've now been able to confirm with two independent entities that Vulkan is indeed the next-gen graphics API designed as the successor to OpenGL for high performance 2D/3D graphics.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Khronos-Vulkan-Graphics-API

So Michael Larabel of Phoronix is claiming to have confirmation that Vulkan is indeed the name of the successor to GL and he also drops a hint towards SPIR-V (SPIR-Vulkan I guess - sounds like they managed to get a cross platform binary representation into Vulkan, yay!).

He also seems to suggest that GL and GLES will continue to be revised alongside Vulkan. Finally, his article states that the full unveiling will happen tomorrow (March 3rd), ahead of Valve's GDC talk.

Greatly anticipating this!

orava

Cool name but the logo is boring and very generic. Reminds me of 3dfx though.

glnext-logo.png

3dfx_logo.svg

Top Bottom