• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter: Bard's Tale IV (inXile, 1.25 mil, PC, Mac, Linux)

Eusis

I would kick a few bucks towards it if I was assured of controller support day one. This CRPG renaissance has been great, great that is until you realize that these devs for reasons unknown seem to be blind to the fact that PC couch gamers exist.
Valve's pre-empting all of that with the Steam controller anyway.

But I guess that depends on 1. how open minded you are, and 2. if it even actually works out for you regardless of how open minded you are. And with that long out by the time this hits it's probably a moot point anyway.

Kylarean

Yeah, I own all three for my C64. I spent an entire summer playing Bard's Tale III, mapping the dungeons on graph paper, taking notes, by the fall I had my own hand written strategy guide!

I can still hear the Duotime Rhyme battle ballad in my head. Man I loved those games.

All the graph paper maps my brother and I have are in boxes at my parents house. Lot of fun mapping things until teleports came into play. Now we have automappers which while time savers take some of the fun out.

Vaporak

I've got Wasteland 2 and Torment, but I won't be backing this one. The combat in W2 is awful, I have no idea why they think I'd want a game from them that's even more focused on it.

autoduelist

Reputation and free games probably. Personally it took turning off the grid to sell me; I appreciate throwbacks to old gameplay, but there are overlooked middle ground a between being Wizardry or Skyrim, and that applies to a lot of other subgenres and styles of gameplay. And we've had more than enough grid based dungeon crawlers for that to NEED more.

More than enough grid based dungeon crawlers? Never! [not even close, really, the genre has been dead on pc for far too long and I am so thankful to Grimrock for reviving it.]

From what I was reading it sounds like switching to FF style ATB with the option of queuing up attacks. Whichever, just as long as I can pause it and take my time to think.

EDIT: Actually, how well do the original games play in their mobile forms? I got it on Android via Humble Bundle and unless there's some advantage to buying it off the PlayStore or the Humble version just doesn't have the original trilogy I'm thinking of using that to play them.

I am playing the original right now on PC, and it holds up except, of course the interface is archaic (spell codes, inventory management, etc) but I got (re)used to that quickly and am having a blast [level 30 or so].

So much nostalgia -- from the monk's chants during healing, to even recalling the basics of some of the map layouts. Wild.

While I haven't played the mobile versions, I have to assume the interface is improved, especially for spell casting.

I have played Silversword on an ipad, however (an obvious and clear homage to Bard's Tale down to the interface) and it was very enjoyable... I assume the originals play well at that size too.

I've got Wasteland 2 and Torment, but I won't be backing this one. The combat in W2 is awful, I have no idea why they think I'd want a game from them that's even more focused on it.

The combat in a drpg like Bard's Tale is nothing like the combat in Wasteland.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I was in the first 100 to back this at 9 am. Never played any of the Bards Games but i like these dungeon games like Grimrock etc and Wasteland 2 was excellent so ill always support Fargo.

However, i dont really know what inXile's game plan is for this campaign as it seems pretty standard so far, but i really hope someone over there thought of creative ways to use the dungeon concept to help move the campaign along. For such a niche genre they definitely moved a lot quicker than i anticipated but this is still their toughest sell and its slowed down a bit to reflect that. Doesnt have to be though.

One of my favorite things about these exploration dungeon games is the promise of the type of crazy progression in environments and enemies that you could encounter the deeper you go. The concept art they released is fantastic and the game seems essentially about a town on top of a deep dungeon.

They could have really gotten a lot of mileage by doing something similar to how Obsidian had that little endless dungeons graphic where everyone seemed so disproportionately excited to see what the next level was gonna be, considering how small of an addition it was.

With the concept artists these guys got you could go to town making crazy cool crystal gardens or some shit at deeper levels of the caves and whatever other crazy ideas that could get the imagination going.

So i really hope someone over there thought through some of these ideas. I mean they are using Unreal Engine 4 its made for crazy cool stuff like that.

Kagami

Auto-mapping is a tricky subject because it prevents certain kinds of exploration puzzles (anything that messes with the player's sense of location) from being meaningful, reducing landmarks to mere decoration rather than something to pay attention to. You can end up mentally living on the map instead of learning the world.

Quasar

Would so love the album box just so it can sit alongside the others I have. A bit expensive once you include shipping to Oz though.

That said I get the feeling things I particularly loved about BT are being all excised which makes me sad. Mapping being a prime example. Mapping by hand and map puzzles are what I remember most about BT.

I did not expect this to get funding so fast especially after Ultima Ascendant didnt exactly light things up.

InXile has a highly successful KS game out already (that came in under budget), a Planescape successor due out this year(lol), and they are known to know their shit.

Ganondorfo

wl7Ply6.jpg

The comedy of this case always made me laugh, so brilliant.

autoduelist

Auto-mapping is a tricky subject because it prevents certain kinds of exploration puzzles (anything that messes with the player's sense of location) from being meaningful, reducing landmarks to mere decoration rather than something to pay attention to. You can end up mentally living on the map instead of learning the world.

Yep. Mapping out spinner and teleport traps was so immersive. Getting lost, trying to reorient yourself by finding similar looking hallways till your were sure you were back in position. Bard's Tale wraparound maps were particularly devilish (though wizardry takes the cake). With automap, like you said, you just stare at the map and fill out the grid.

Perhaps there's a middleground... if, for example, there were some sort of zones where your automap was disabled. Sort of like the anti-magic or darkness zones in the original. Though i'm not sure how well that would go over with modern gamers.

4Tran

Yep. Mapping out spinner and teleport traps was so immersive. Getting lost, trying to reorient yourself by finding similar looking hallways till your were sure you were back in position. Bard's Tale wraparound maps were particularly devilish (though wizardry takes the cake). With automap, like you said, you just stare at the map and fill out the grid.

Perhaps there's a middleground... if, for example, there were some sort of zones where your automap was disabled. Sort of like the anti-magic or darkness zones in the original. Though i'm not sure how well that would go over with modern gamers.
This can be handled through difficulty levels. Classic with no automap, Intrepid with an automap that will disappear in certain dungeons, and Beginner with an ever-present automap. Alternatively, they can go the Wizardry 7 route and tie the automap to a character skill.

Not sure if this is for me, having never played Bard's Tale Before. But I got in on early Collector's Edition price, long enough to find out over the next month or so. Really would like the sculpted box, because I'm a sucker, but I couldn't justify that amount of money like I did for Planescape/Pillars Kickstarters.

Eusis

More than enough grid based dungeon crawlers? Never! [not even close, really, the genre has been dead on pc for far too long and I am so thankful to Grimrock for reviving it.]
Well, I don't want those to go due to being too "archaic" or some nonsense, but I would like more that went a path similar to Wizardry 8's in having free roaming but turn based combat.

I also like being able to explore towns in first person, but going by what I played of the first I'm not concerned there.

~Kinggi~

Banned
According to this article sounds like a gameplay video, and more surprises are still coming so seems like they have done the work. Really hope they make the dungeon locations varied etc. Deeper you go the cooler it gets.

hemtae

New update: Déjà vu!

Upcoming Game Footage!

We have some great surprises in store for you over the next month, the biggest of which is in engine footage for Bard's Tale IV. We're feverishly working to clean up a few more things, but it will be ready in the very near future. It's over 3 minutes long and should give you a good sense of what the world will feel like. I hope you are as impressed with it as I am, so look for it this week.

KarmaCow

So wait, if you back this within 24 hours you can get 2 copies of Wasteland 2? Or is that you need to put a $20 pledge to get the 24 hour offer?

Either way I backed this, but I backed Wasteland 2 and haven't played it yet. :/

~Kinggi~

Banned
hehe smart move. That article i posted got the jump on the update. Gameplay should help clear up confusion over what type of game it is. Willing to bet the free 24h games was a last minute move as well. What they are selling is great but these big kickstarters need strong nostalgia power pretty much every time to hit the multi millions. Lots of new gamers dont know about Bards Tale.

So wait, if you back this within 24 hours you can get 2 copies of Wasteland 2? Or is that you need to put a $20 pledge to get the 24 hour offer?

Either way I backed this, but I Wasteland 2 and haven't played it yet. :/

Well if you have W2 on steam then go ahead and get it on gog. or take a gift copy.

KarmaCow

Well if you have W2 on steam then go ahead and get it on gog. or take a gift copy.

Don't you already get a free copy of W2 on GOG if you own it elsewhere? I'm pretty sure I didn't buy a GOG copy and I have it in my library.

I need to go through some bundle left overs and modbot them anyway.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Don't you already get a free copy of W2 on GOG if you own it elsewhere? I'm pretty sure I didn't buy a GOG copy and I have it in my library.

I need to go through some bundle left overs and modbot them anyway.

We talking Witcher 2 or Wasteland 2? I dont think wasteland was part of a gog promotion to cross buy elsewhere.

KarmaCow

We talking Witcher 2 or Wasteland 2? I dont think wasteland was part of a gog promotion to cross buy elsewhere.

Ha oops sorry, I completely blanked on that they share the same abbreviation for some reason. I was talking about Witcher 2, I'll think about getting a DRM free copy of Wasteland 2, thanks.

Amir0x

Banned
It feels like the 90s when all I did was play role-playing, strategy and sim games on my PC.

Seriously. Between Divinity, the Torment sequel and now this, I think gaming has never been better for ages.

Only thing missing for it to be GOAT would be a vampire bloodlines and alpha protocol sequels kickstarters

Vampire Bloodlines sequel would be amazing, not sure that could work out though. Lots of stuff behind that game.

Kickstarter makes dreams come true!

autoduelist

I live in a time when we got a new Wasteland and now Bard's Tale. I have chosen my alternate universe wisely.

Bring on Autoduel.

I live in a time when we got a new Wasteland and now Bard's Tale.

Bring on Autoduel.

I'd love to see a Roadwar 2000 / Europa reboot over even Autoduel. Autoduel is awesome, though, still have box and all the trinkets except a screwdriver or somesuch from the set of tools, grrrr!

JDSN

Banned
The game is not my style, but W2 was great, ill back this now.

Vampire Bloodlines sequel would be amazing, not sure that could work out though. Lots of stuff behind that game.

Kickstarter makes dreams come true!

Shame that Mitsoda lots a lot fo good will with Dead State.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Maybe no translation?

Ah, that makes sense. Luckily I don't care about games being localized in my mother tongue but I can see how that'd be disappointing for someone not as well versed in english, especially considering the amount of text which will probably be in the story and maybe even get its own "archaic" flavor added on top of it

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I live in a time when we got a new Wasteland and now Bard's Tale. I have chosen my alternate universe wisely.

Bring on Autoduel.

Man, I loved Autoduel on the C64. I played dozens of hours with that game. We really do need a modern remake of it, even if it's still top down, I'd love to see it.

yamo

Backed at $20. My first kickstarter by the way.

anyone who backs The Bard’s Tale IV on Kickstarter in the first 24 hours of the campaign will receive a FREE copy of inXile’s Wasteland 2, or CD Projekt Red's The Witcher, or The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. (until 6/3 at 6am, PST)

How and when do I chose what game I want? Didn't see any option for that and I obviously want Wasteland 2 as I own the other two games.

Also, backed! Been wanting to play Wasteland 2 as well so even more incentive to jump on board early.

How and when do I chose what game I want? Didn't see any option for that and I obviously want Wasteland 2 as I own the other two games.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-iv/comments?cursor=10036412#comment-10036411

Just to confirm, yes, you still get your choice of the three games for the first 24 hours. Your game selection will be made and distributed on our backer web site, after the Kickstarter campaign has ended.

mclem

Just as an FYI, if anyone hasn't played the original trilogy they are included in the PC and Mobile releases of the 2004 reboot.

How playable are the mobile ports, anyway?

Not that I think I could play them without graph paper readily to hand, admittedly.

Top Bottom