• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima: "NX is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS."

Russ T

Banned
Well there was a recently updated old 3ds patent that got additions for something that interacts with a stereoscopic tablet device, I thought that was pretty curious. There was also the infamous handheld with card slot and funny shaped screen that more resembled a controller than a classic portable form factor.
I don't think we can rely on patents to tell us anything about a specific product though.

Hadn't heard about that update. That's... something, I guess. Doesn't sound very good or interesting.

Patents have been a pretty good indicator of what Nintendo wanted to do in the past, so it's not exactly a stretch to look for guidance therein.

NeonZ

Interviewer said:
As for whether the release in March will have an impact on Hardware sales this year, Tatsumi Kimishima explains that he isn’t really worried about the Nintendo 3DS, which will have Pokémon for the holidays.

Kimishima said:
When the NX is released, the Wii U business will slow. But the 3DS has Pokemon coming this autumn, and that’s such a big hit that I can’t imagine the NX will have a negative impact on the 3DS.

I thought this part was pretty interesting. Kimishima specifically says that the 3DS won't be affected by the NX due to the launch of Pokemon, which leads to the question and answer in the first post.

Interviewer said:
The journalist from the Asahi Shimbun seems to believe that the Wii U is the one that will be the most effected by the NX, due to them both being home consoles. However, Tatsumi Kimishima explained that while it may be true, the NX is neither the successor to the Wii U nor the Nintendo 3DS:

Kimishima said:
I suppose it can be seen that way. However, the NX is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS. It’s a new way of playing games, which I think will have a larger impact that the Wii U, but I don’t feel it’s a pure replacement for the Wii U.

Kimishima keeps bringing up the 3ds into the conversation too, even though the interviewer was obviously focusing on the Wii U -> NX transition.

TunaLover

I wonder if he meant that NX won't be expensive to produce for Nintendo (aka no sell at loss) or it won't to be expensive for the consumer...

Russ T

Banned
Kimishima keeps bringing up the 3ds into the conversation too, even though the interviewer was obviously focusing on the Wii U -> NX transition.

To be fair, the obvious follow-up question to "no it's not a successor to the wii u" is "well then is it the successor to the 3ds?"

Schlorgan

giphy.gif

Hadn't heard about that update. That's... something, I guess. Doesn't sound very good or interesting.

Patents have been a pretty good indicator of what Nintendo wanted to do in the past, so it's not exactly a stretch to look for guidance therein.

Yeah there's so many odd ones though, it's not a guarantee that anything will be used or used in the way that first seems apparent. Did you see the one that has a tablet like thing that projects images out of the sides?
Unfortunately I'm not able to post links atm.

DSix

Banned
I see Nintendo sticks to the same bullshit again:
"We're not competing in the same industry as Sony/MS"
"Our new console for which all our devs switched to is not a successor to our old console".

That shtick gets old.

Another console with a "standard" controller like the PS4 and XBO would be redundant and boring...

A third box that does exactly the same thing, that's just exactly what we/the industry need.

Yeah Sony must be so bored with all the PS4s and PS4 games they're selling. The industry doesn't need to be making money. They need to be filling up that top 10 list of most disappointing consoles.

Somnid

A third box that does exactly the same thing, and play Nintendo games, I don't see why not...

It's not only antithetical to Nintendo's DNA to do the same thing everyone else does, it would be an omission to just go third party and a greater omission that consoles don't really need to exist if everything is so standardized that the variances are purely spec-based.

Menitta

I don't wanna hear another thing about the NX unless it's what the controller looks like. If they want to not tell us anything new about the damn thing, then they shouldn't say anything at all. This is actively creating more of a mystery than an idea of what the fuck it is.

The Nintendo NX toasts bread and fries eggs at the same time

A new way to prepare breakfast

Like how you can be depressed and disappointed at the same time.

NeonZ

To be fair, the obvious follow-up question to "no it's not a successor to the wii u" is "well then is it the successor to the 3ds?"

The whole succession talk comes up because Kimishima brings up the 3ds while talking about the effects of the NX launch on existing hardware, and says that it'll be fine due to Pokemon. The interviewer then goes on about the NX being a console and so it should affect the Wii U more, which leads into the answer about it not being a successor to either.

It's the first part that I thought was interesting - Kimishima by himself brings up the 3ds in regards to the impact of the NX launch, and says that it'll be fine due to the strength of Pokemon. The op's quote by itself didn't indicate why he thought the Wii U would be more affected.

TunaLover

"It's not the Wii U succesor, neither 3DS, it's not a handheld, neither a home console, it's really like a platform, but it's not a service only, it offers a new way to play"

NX is a riddle

MK_768

I don't know why we need a thread on this. Pretty sure he said this during the Investor's meeting and there was a thread lol.

Also, people getting upset over stupid pr talk is stupid.

mr_chun

All this means to me at this point is that it isn't the 4DS or the WiiW. It's still a "successor" in that it's a video game system, something they've made before.

Linkhero1

I don't know why we need a thread on this. Pretty sure he said this during the Investor's meeting and there was a thread lol.

Also, people getting upset over stupid pr talk is stupid.
What else is new. People are going to be like this until the thing is announced.

The NX is a Chinese buffet

You have your meal and pay the bill (with tip) and the waiter gives you a fortune cookie.

Inside is your friend code

gogogow

Yeah Sony must be so bored with all the PS4s and PS4 games they're selling. The industry doesn't need to be making money. They need to be filling up that top 10 list of most disappointing consoles.

You really don't get it. Same box, standard controller and Nintendo games. Who's going to buy it? Nintendo fans? So the Wii U userbase are gonna migrate to the NX, then what?
Third parties aren't going to bother and if they do, you think those CODs, BFs, AssCreeds are gonna sell well on the NX? Those people who bought those games on the PS or Xbox for 10 years are suddenly gonna switch over to the NX? It's the same box, which you wanted, why would they switch then, if it's the same thing? Why wouldn't they keep buying those games for their PS/Xbox? Those people will suddenly buy a Nintendo box just to play Nintendo games?

Astral Dog

I wonder if he meant that NX won't be expensive to produce for Nintendo (aka no sell at loss) or it won't to be expensive for the consumer...

Nintendo never sold hardware at a loss until the Wii U and after the 3DS price cut,both considered "underpowered" systems, i wish that was not used as a thing to get all Nintendo is doomed talk.

We're due for one. Since DS wasn't a successor to the GBA but rather a third platform, the GBA is desperately in need for an update. Nintendo's support for it has been pretty lacking in recent months.
Nintendo is trying to get back to the roots, and the Game Boy brand is the perfect way of doing it.

Another console with a "standard" controller like the PS4 and XBO would be redundant and boring...
The fact that it has Nintendo games would give it a leg up over the XBO, which currently has no unique selling points except for "Well you had an Xbox before".

Not a successor? Wild power rumours? 'Third pillar'? Supplemental hardware?

NX is a PC. Nintendo are literally releasing a PC.

With a GTX 1080 inside and 1080 Snowboarding at launch

SalvaPot

Übermatik;203769261 said:
Not a successor? Wild power rumours? 'Third pillar'? Supplemental hardware?

NX is a PC. Nintendo are literally releasing a PC.

With a GTX 1080 inside and 1080 Snowboarding at launch

About damn time, Microsoft and Sony released one a few years ago too.

Linkhero1

The fact that it has Nintendo games would give it a leg up over the XBO, which currently has no unique selling points except for "Well you had an Xbox before".
I think you're underestimating the Xbox brand. Besides, I think Nintendo is going to need a lot more than just a standard controller to push itself into a comfortable position. Show us the games.

Soroc

My guess would be its not a successor to either because the NX doesn't have 2 screens or touch controls. Can't be a successor without those technologies, especially if it isn't backwards compatible which we are pretty confident at this point that the NX won't be..

HvySky

Golly gee, this NX sure does sound swell. Too bad you apparently have no plans to actually show it anytime soon, despite constantly talking about it.

Gooddddd Looooooord Kimishima. Why do you insist on talking about the thing if you're not going to say anything substantive or show it to us?

Just go away until you're ready.

Top Bottom