• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kodi is coming to Windows 10 and Xbox One as a full UWP app

spons

Gold Member
This is only interesting if MS exposes whatever they use for hardware video decoding to UWP *and* if Kodi uses it.

UWP apps like VLC already have hardware decoding support. I've thrown 100 mbit/s H.264 videos at the VLC application on my non-S Xbox One and it works fine.

Lazaro

I think its going to be forked from the main release and that addons wont be possible. To much piracy is going on and Microsoft wont want this on Xbox.

Add-ons currently work in the Windows Store build. But we'll see once it becomes fully UWP.

c0de

Plex does doesn't it?

UWP apps like VLC already have hardware decoding support. I've thrown 100 mbit/s H.264 videos at the VLC application on my non-S Xbox One and it works fine.

That sounds cool. I wonder if the S exposes also its h.265 decoding functionality and can decode these files downloaded from "the internet"?

This is only interesting if MS exposes whatever they use for hardware video decoding to UWP *and* if Kodi uses it.

I though it does already?

Edit:

That sounds cool. I wonder if the S exposes also its h.265 decoding functionality and can decode these files downloaded from "the internet"?

Just came across, Ms already have a h.265 decoder for uwp, which supports hardware acceleration, so even if it's not supported currently on xbone, it will be a matter of time.

Mister D

I suggested MS do this before the Xbox and PS4 came out at the end of last generation when I switched to playing on PC. Instead of gaming on PC, I got addicted to Kodi and got rid of all my media streamers including a Dune D1. I ended up using my PC more as a media device than a gaming device but if MS had included Kodi support at launch, I would have an Xbox instead of a PS4.

I'm just now beginning to dabble in retro emulation with ROM Collection Browser on Kodi since current gen PC gaming isn't as appealing to me as playing on console but playing some old school arcade games every now and then on the machine I use to watch my movies and TV shows does seem pretty sweet.

I hope the UWP version of Kodi isn't neutered but I have a feeling it will be. It would be pretty damn cool if you could buy an Xbox, play all the third party games, MS Exclusives, and emulate all the old consoles by loading up a USB drive and plugging it into the Xbox and pointing ROM Collection Browser from within Kodi to it.

SigSig

Correct me if im wrong,

but is kodi mainly used for piracy?

No. Kodi is just a media player like VLC, but with a really nice interface, which lends itself perfectly for using with a remote.
You mainly hear about Kodi being used for piracy, because (as with every open-source software) shitheads are trying to make a quick buck by selling so called "fully loaded" boxes, which are HTPCs running a Kodi distribution, which comes with what's essentially Bookmarks for illegal streaming services.
The Kodi team actively fights this practice.

I think its going to be forked from the main release and that addons wont be possible. To much piracy is going on and Microsoft wont want this on Xbox.

I agree. I dont think they are going to allow repos to be added as well as other add ons. Too much piracy.

androvsky

I'm pretty sure VLC already uses the h.265 decoder, because the VLC project lead mentioned on slashdot that the S supported h.265 thanks to the decoder. This is before it was released, so I don't know if it's yet to be implemented or anything, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't using the hardware decoder already.

sirap

Oh boy a fully supported Kodi for my Xbox One S would be the ultimate media box for my home. UHD HDR Bluray support + access to my ripped 1080p BR collection in one place.

Too bad it's gonna come out gimped :(

c0de

I'm pretty sure VLC already uses the h.265 decoder, because the VLC project lead mentioned on slashdot that the S supported h.265 thanks to the decoder. This is before it was released, so I don't know if it's yet to be implemented or anything, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't using the hardware decoder already.

This would be truly awesome.

jesu

With the new Xbox One dashboard there is a File Explorer app installed.
You can put stuff from your PC onto your Xbox via USB now.

Does that mean Kodi add-ons could be installed that way?

Sorry for the bump, but I was seeing what was permited on the Store, and turns out apps generating code is allowed, even on Xbone.

Store apps are freely to run scripts as well, however for cmd, bash or powershell scripts the uwp would have to call a win32 app to run them (restriction applied only to store apps).

So, even on xbone kodi would be allowed to download add ons and run scripts as long as they don't require system rights. I believe that for the majority of Kodi addons this wouldn't be a problem.

Head.spawn

Any interesting add-ons worth trying out besides the obvious?

Just downloaded the newest KODI, it's a lot better than i expected.

SOLDIER

Anyone happen to know the best way to set up a controller to work with Kodi? I've run into all sorts of issues trying to get the XB1 or PS4 controller to work.

This is hampered by part by Controller Companion, which essentially turns the controller into a KB/M when running on Kodi. Is there a way to have CC just automatically disable whenever I open up Kodi?

Top Bottom