• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima: MGS Peace Walker is indeed MGS5

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
marathonfool said:
Did Kojima ever say why he decided to make MGS5 on the PSP? I haven't followed this game very much because I don't own a PSP. Now I that I hear it was supposed to be the 5th entry in the MGS series makes me more curious.

He got interested on how teenagers (especially his son, which ignored his work until MPO) enjoyed playing the game on the PSP, so he wanted to make an incarnation that could execute better his ideas (he only produced MPO while he was busy on MGS4)

I am a huge MGS fan, but damn I'm sorry, can't get excited. Its a portable game, keep your portable games separate from your console ones. I can't get excited for a portable Zelda the same way I do a console Zelda, same goes for Mario, Metroid and every series. It is just not the same. It could be an excellent game but I just can't get excited for it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
MiamiWesker said:
I am a huge MGS fan, but damn I'm sorry, can't get excited. Its a portable game, keep your portable games separate from your console ones. I can't get excited for a portable Zelda the same way I do a console Zelda, same goes for Mario, Metroid and every series. It is just not the same. It could be an excellent game but I just can't get excited for it.

This is a mental disease we need to eradicate from the gaming populace.

MiamiWesker said:

You're a bad person.

Noshino

MiamiWesker said:

If you don't mind, could you say why is that?

I know that some people can't play on handhelds due to physical reasons (I hate the shape of the DS, can't hold it longer than 30 mins), if so I would understand

Or are there other reasons?

C-Jo

Night_Trekker said:
I wish Kojima had the stones to say no to future MGS projects. We all know he doesn't, but I would like to see him work on another IP before he dies/retires.
This is really my biggest issue. After MGS4, I (foolishly) thought that Kojima was done with Metal Gear and he'd be able to make something new, make another Snatcher with Suda, who knows?! The world was his oyster!

I'm absolutely looking forward to Peace Walker, it's just kind of like, sigh... oh Kojima, one day you'll be free.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
C-Jo said:
This is really my biggest issue. After MGS4, I (foolishly) thought that Kojima was done with Metal Gear and he'd be able to make something new, make another Snatcher with Suda, who knows?! The world was his oyster!

I'm absolutely looking forward to Peace Walker, it's just kind of like, sigh... oh Kojima, one day you'll be free.

I think he needs to elope with Shinkawa to Okinawa, where they can be free to make the games they've always wanted!

And this is why putting a number on a video game sequel is a bad idea. It locks the dev/publisher down into a specifc set of expectations and reduces the level of sales for non numbered sequels.

It's not impossible to change; Castlevania, Mario and Metroid have all managed to ditch the numbering and there's never any doubt as to the legitimacy of their handheld instalments.

Dalthien

Pai Pai Master said:
Call it MGS5, and it becomes the next game in the series after the massively-received MGS4. Take that 5 off and it's simply the follow-up to Portable Ops...which doesn't exactly have the same pull as the PS3-exclusive blockbuster.
Yeah, that's exactly what I was saying.

It's unfortunate, but many people will view it exactly that way. And I can't really blame them. People have lives with work, families, other interests. And for their gaming time, they have other games that hold their interest. So expecting someone to look through all the minutia of whether or not the next MGS game on the PSP is a real follow-up to the previous MGS game on the PSP is unrealistic for many people.

That's why branding is so very important for companies. People associate their interests with particular brands. If they felt burned by the MGS on PSP brand before, then many people won't be interested in following that same brand in the future.

But if it had been called MGS5, then that creates a whole different brand and image in the minds of many people.

Noshino said:
If you don't mind, could you say why is that?

I know that some people can't play on handhelds due to physical reasons (I hate the shape of the DS, can't hold it longer than 30 mins), if so I would understand

Or are there other reasons?

I play plenty of handheld games. To me the portable game should provide a different experience than the console, if not it might as well be on a console. I love it when you get 3D versions of a game on consoles and 2D versions on portables, give me something different with each version. In the end I feel like the console games are almost always better. NSMB DS PALES in comparison to NSMB Wii. Many of the older Zelda handhelds were incredible, some of the best games I have ever played, they still don't rank up there with the best of the console Zeldas. Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission, excellent, but give me Prime. GTA, the console games were better. MGS, I have only played GB and I believe it maybe the best game on the GBC, still not as good as any of the MGS console games.

For the most part the only portable games I have found to be better than the console versions are series that belong in 2D like Castlevania, even then it is the console game, SOTN that is better than all the portable games that came after.

It's just history for me. Console games are better. Portables provide great experiences but they don't match the main console entries of these series.

Buckethead said:
No sarcastic jack, it's a bad business model to size down your console offerings to PSP/DS/iPhone.
You don't know that. Just because you prefer a home console version doesn't mean bringing the sequel to a handheld is a bad bussiness model. It turned out well with Dragon quest IX.

This comes from someone who doesn't care about handheld gaming and is not going to buy peace walker.

sinxtanx

Isn't the reason he continues to make MGS games that he is concerned about his horde of developers? There was something about guaranteed success putting food on the table for them in an interview somewhere...

kamspy

vall03 said:
this is just like the DQIX, VC2, Okamiden and SMT: SJ thread all over again... *sigh*

Fuck em. They're easy to ignore when you realize you'll be playing MGS5: Snake Eater 2 in a couple months. :D

Lord Phol

I thought the demo was pretty good (not counting the minor control issues I had), and I've spent more than 200hours on my psp since I bought it january.
So I'm not seeing this as a bad thing.

I have a psp and I consider myself as a big MGS fan, but after playing the demo, I felt not the need to play the full game. :(

but it was the same with the uncharted demo back then, and I loved the full game :D

but I don't understand why they bring it to the psp. they have the engine for the ps3 and they would have made a lot more of money with it on the ps3. damn, I would've loved a MGS3 alike game on it :(

Spiegel

berserk_ftw said:
I have a psp and I consider myself as a big MGS fan, but after playing the demo, I felt not the need to play the full game. :(

but it was the same with the uncharted demo back then, and I loved the full game :D

but I don't understand why they bring it to the psp. they have the engine for the ps3 and they would have made a lot more of money with it on the ps3. damn, I would've loved a MGS3 alike game on it :(

Did you play the newest demo?

They added the bridge section and that part is awesome.

Lakitu

st5fu
I have no desire to buy a PSP (or borrow my brothers) just to play this game. I will always be an avid fan of the series but I've just lost my passion about it. I really wish Kojima would take a break with the series, work on something refreshing and original, or another Z.O.E. Unfortunately I'm a bit tired of this series now, especially after GOTP.

Don't know how I feel about this. Demo plays well enough and it has the superior MGS3 setting going for it. Just hope it isn't Portable Ops 2.

Also, people saying they need to put that MGS4 engine to good use, I say no!
Shit was a techinical mess and me thinks Konami/K.Productions stuck with it only because they already invested so much. The talent is with their staff (modelers, animators, etc.), not their engine.

MiamiWesker said:

I agree to a certain extent. I still will play it but naturally I'd prefer a real controller, with real HD graphics, and real 5.1 DTS. But I don't want to wait another 5 years. :p

Troidal

Portable Ops didn't really stick well with me, but I gave the Peace Walker demo a chance and man, it definitely feels solid (no pun intended).

It's too bad I no longer own a PSP, but would have purchased it day one.

akachan ningen said:
I agree to a certain extent. I still will play it but naturally I'd prefer a real controller, with real HD graphics, and real 5.1 DTS. But I don't want to wait another 5 years. :p

Play with a DS3 on ur PSPgo! =P

Any idea why Kojima decided to make MGS5 on the PSP? Is it maybe for a personal challenge, or too much development time when compared to making a sequel for consoles?

I think he might've gotten burned out with MGS4, which I can understand. I mean, he's getting older and he did say that he doesn't want to work on MGS for the rest of his life.

So I say we support him and let him do whatever the heck he wants. I think he deserves that.

I'm excited for Peace Walker. I didn't enjoy Portable Ops but Peace Walker looks great. Hope it's as good as Snake Eater.

I doubt we'll see Kojima making another full console MGS game. I think he'll let his younger team make it while he supervises, but I don't see him investing 4 or 5 years making one game.

It's really draining, I'm sure. So I understand that.

Prine

Banned
Still upset over platform choice. Would have loved it to be on PS3, at the moment i will not be buying this. Maybe if they put it onto PSN.

SmokyDave

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Wasn't gonna buy this anyway. Haven't bought a PSP game since I bought my iPhone. Ditto for the DS.

Pretty sure Rising will be a far better game anyway.
Having played MGS Touch and the MGS Peace Walker demo, you're betting on the wrong horse. Don't let hardware preferences get in the way of playing good games.

I wish they'd kept this as MGS5. I assume those that wanted MGS5 on the PS3 also wanted to wait until 2014 to play it?

Mael

Prine said:
Still upset over platform choice. Would have loved it to be on PS3, at the moment i will not be buying this. Maybe if they put it onto PSN.

It will be on psn....psp psn that is

Prine

Banned
Mael said:
It will be on psn....psp psn that is

I know, but like someone said earlier. I simply cannot enjoy handheld games. Poor graphics, small screen, no 5.1, innovations focused on control rather than storytelling, atmosphere, AI, animation etc.

Its all very basic. Im a gamer that cannot enjoy old games either unless major efforts have been made to meet higher standards (PD Remake).

MiamiWesker said:

Agreed.

greeny

Neo Member
My simple thought is that people expect a certain thing from a NUMBERED Metal Gear Solid game. The previous 4 iterations have all been huge blockbuster titles, made to be experienced on large displays with surround sound (where available). The level of expectation for a numbered MGS game would outweigh the interest and expecation from a handheld game for that (and other) reasons.

I agree direct sequels can be viable on handhelds, absolutely, just not MGS.

I'm hoping the official GAF thread will be titled MGS5: Peace Walker. Seems only right since thats what it is, and that fact needs to be driven home to people :D

NIGHT- said:
PSP does not have enough games I want to warrant the price.

I find this literally impossible to believe at this point in the PSP's life, unless you hate every single genre of japanese developed game there is.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
GOTY

the coop alone ensures this will be better than the rest of the games in the series.

Zophar said:
I hate to say it, but just adding the 5 on there changes it from being a "probably skip" to "have to buy" for me. :/

Exactly, typically the psp is used for side games, games that are pretty cool that arnt relevant to the main story. The fact that this is a direct sequal is going to be missed by many. Im not complaining, just saying they need to add the 5 back in for branding purposes.

That aside im actually fairly interested in it now, im guessing a portable platform gives Kojima so many chances to break the 4th wall in new ways.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
That doesn't make sense, I was of the impression it's the follow-up to Portable Ops? If it is, wouldn't it make PO MGS4 and MGS4 would be MGS5 and Peace Walker would be MGS6?

Your ideas of sequels are as messed up as your ideas of a story, Kojima.

I still love you, Hideo

AAK

Screw the haters. I love every MGS game. And I will buy MGS5
and play it on my friend`s PSP.

HunkyDory

Neo Member
StarEye said:
That doesn't make sense, I was of the impression it's the follow-up to Portable Ops? If it is, wouldn't it make PO MGS4 and MGS4 would be MGS5 and Peace Walker would be MGS6?

Your ideas of sequels are as messed up as your ideas of a story, Kojima.

I still love you, Hideo

As far as I know, Kojima has always said that Peace Walker would be a direct sequel to Snake Eater, which isn't something that he claimed with Portable Ops.

Anybody who hasn't played the demo for this really have to put PO to the back of their mind and give it a try. It's in another league entirely to PO.

They really should have just kept the 5 in the title. Kojima has already made it clear in a lot of interviews that this is going to be the fifth mainline game.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Jigsaw said:
maybe they'll drop the numbers completely like call of duty (cod4 > mw2)

after rising there may be rising 2,rising 3 and then new name again
Rising is a spin-off.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Noshino said:
Well, based on what Kojima has done in the past, he might put something in the game to piss off the haters, like the "blu-ray scene" from MGS4 :lol
I don't think that Otacon codec call was there for that reason. I think it was just a nod to MGS on PSX, and how times have changed that now you don't need multiple disks.
But when people saw that codec call everyone went ape shit going "OMG, Kojima is trollin' 360!"

Mesijs

To all the people that hate Portable Ops: CHANGE THE CONTROLS!!!

I first hated it, then I made it Syphon Filter controls (move with left stick, aim with action buttons) and made R shoot and then it played very very smoothly. I totally changed my opinion after that.

Noshino said:
- Gran Turismo (1.8 million)

fuck yea gran turismo! good show, that is one of my favorite psp games

it is kind of a dick move, this mgs5 thing. kinda like a deliberate push to sell psp's, but hey that's business. good thing i already have one

will be firing up the demo yet again this evening

sky

Need a good way to plug the psp in to a tv... I can't look at that small screen for hours on end. :/

Mael

Prine said:
I know, but like someone said earlier. I simply cannot enjoy handheld games. Poor graphics, small screen, no 5.1, innovations focused on control rather than storytelling, atmosphere, AI, animation etc.

Its all very basic. Im a gamer that cannot enjoy old games either unless major efforts have been made to meet higher standards (PD Remake).

I guess it depends on your views of what you need in a game...
If gfx was so important you would want a pc version anyway >.>
I had some fears about the controls, but it's actually very enjoyable would be vastly better on pc but I'm not crying about that.
AI :lol ? I always find it laughable that this excuse is still being thrown around.

And storytelling? it's MGS, even on gameboy they can do some wonderful things so psp is more than enough (having tried the demo it's really thorough on that ground)

And fun trumps EVERYTHING, seriously I bought 1 solely for Freedom Unite and I've yet to play a game as good as that one on the HD twins. Psp entirely redeemed, peace walker and bbs are just icing on the cake.

Actually I found it very funny that someone who couldn't even go a 3rd into any mgs after mgs2 will probably play and have fun with it while socalled fans will shun it :lol

Dyno

Night_Trekker said:
I wish Kojima had the stones to say no to future MGS projects. We all know he doesn't, but I would like to see him work on another IP before he dies/retires.

That game engine, and even the same game mechanics, on another story would be heaven.

Imagine the luggage that could be dropped with a new I.P.

Top Bottom