• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima will no longer be a Konami executive from April 1st + KojiPro is no more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

artsi

I'm calling it.

Square-Enix with Tabata, Yoshi-P and Kojima together returning the company to it's former glory.

But if Metal Gear is associated with Konami, instead of Kojima Productions, then that strengthens Konami's own brand.

That would made sense if MGS wasn't already strongly tie with Kojima, for better representation of that look at this thread and the reactions on twitter/4chan/reddit. Everyone is asking "And Kojima?" Is Kojima still at Konami? Is he leaving? It seems rather an odd decision to make before the game launch as well. Unless Konami is preparing the field for a MGS game without Kojima at all in the future, which at that point would anyone be interested?

Haunted

I'm just waiting for the cancellation of Silent Hills at this point, can't belive I had faith it would come out. Hopefully we'll have some kind of quote from Kojima or Konami by tomorrow.
Honestly, I'm surprised we've already heard as much about this from an official source.

Japanese companies usually deal with this kind of personnel change quietly and behind the scenes.

It's about time Kojima got out of being a slave to Konami, hopefully he forms a new studio taking the best talent from Koji pro. and Konami slowly becomes irrlevant , removing Kojimas name from the game he made seems to seal it, what a horrible company.

hirokazu

Don't think so. Google has a cache of the press release on March 8, and I've checked the Japanese press release circulated by Nikkei on March 5. No mention of Kojima or Kojima Productions there either. Seems like the SCEJA one is different.

It's more than just a rebranding, because otherwise Kojima would still be director of his own studio division, even if it is renamed. There's definitely staff shuffling.

Interesting. I guess we might find out more when Japan wakes up. The way it's all been done is so suss.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Wait do people actually think Konami has got rid of Hideo Kojima
The creator of their biggest franchise which is due out this year, all their games are now running on FOX Engine which is his and who has been put in charge of the reboot of their other major franchise who's teaser was the talk of the whole gaming industry for weeks, people think they've let him go?
GAF never change.

Eh, yeah it sucks, but I don't think Konami can afford/is interested in making AAA games anymore. The MGS franchise was getting a little convoluted anyway even though it's my favorite franchise. MGSV seems like a good game to go out on. If Kojima does leave Konami here are my takeaways:

Pros:

- At least he'll be free to explore making other games other than Metal Gear. A lot of people, including me, have been saying we'd love for him to work on something else.

- This is a chance for him to maybe work on smaller games with shorter dev cycles. Kojima actually released brilliant stuff when he was limited by budget and technology before, so I'd love to see what he would do with a smaller budget with smaller game idea.

- If he were to leave Konami, maybe some other Japanese company would bring him on like Platinum games.

Cons:

- Metal Gear isn't really Metal Gear without Kojima. The franchise will be as good as dead or run into the ground with shitty games by Konami and Konami will own the IP as they do with Zone of the Enders.

- Silent Hills is fucked.

- There's a chance Kojima could disappear into obscurity after leaving Konami much like Yasumi Matsuno did after leaving Square Enix and Yu Suzuki did after leaving Sega.

- My dream for a Snatcher HD remake is dead.

- Kojima goes mobile.

Xpliskin

Why are people in here making these asinine hyperbolic responses to my posts? If there was a shitty Kingdom Hearts game, Nomura would be just as responsible for it without his name being plastered on the box art. Can you use your brain before slamming your hands on the keyboard?

I don't know if it's that you stopped reading or that you don't know how to read.

Personal attacks now ?

If you hate the guy, to the point of insulting everyone, what are you doing in this thread ?

I know this is quite a ways away and a bit of the beaten path but lets say Kojima leaves and in the end Konami fails, who would buy the company whole? or individual ip?
I'm wondering where Suikoden, Azure Dreams and Vandal Hearts would end up? oh and Bomberman?

Alienous

I know this is quite a ways away and a bit of the beaten path but lets say Kojima leaves and in the end Konami fails, who would buy the company whole? or individual ip?
I'm wondering where Suikoden, Azure Dreams and Vandal Hearts would end up?

You could probably take out a loan and purchase them.

I see it as potentially a good thing. The idea of certain developers being shackled to certain IPs and companies should be less common. Reminds me of the early 90s when comic book creators got tired of being beholden to Marvel and DC and not owning any of the work they create. Let's give guys like Kojima and Mikami and CliffyB ect...a chance to sink or swim on their own.

pVUse9F.gif
hahahahhah

:(

This is kind of a death sentence to Konami if you ask me. Outside of the MGS/MG games of the past few years, Komani has only done so-so when it comes to Castlevania and PES games (FIFA is still selling way, way more). MGS is a giant selling point for them, probably the biggest they have and them removing Kojima will basically doom them. Kojima is everything that MGS is and they are now taking that away from him, and I can't see it being a good thing.

Do the right thing and stop fucking things up Konami...

I guess they don't want their new Silent Hill game to be good either...

Kronik

Banned
The more I look at all this, the more it seems like it's just a restructure, and Kojima will stay on in a different role, maybe focusing more on the individual games (MGS, Silent Hills) than on executive stuff.

"As we have already announced, we are shifting our production structure to a headquarters-controlled system, in order to establish a steadfast operating base capable of responding to the rapid market changes that surround our digital entertainment business. Konami Digital Entertainment (including Mr. Kojima), will continue to develop and support Metal Gear products. Please look forward to future announcements.”

Dargor

He could go anywhere. I doubt there is a single publisher out there that wouldn't want to have Kojima on board and give the the liberties and concessions he ask for. Of course is going to be a japanese publisher /studio that will take Kojima if he decides to leave Konami and don't open his own studio.

Yeah, hope he lands on a good one. One that can fund his ideas.

The more I look at all this, the more it seems like it's just a restructure, and Kojima will stay on in a different role, maybe focusing more on the individual games (MGS, Silent Hills) than on executive stuff.

"As we have already announced, we are shifting our production structure to a headquarters-controlled system, in order to establish a steadfast operating base capable of responding to the rapid market changes that surround our digital entertainment business. Konami Digital Entertainment (including Mr. Kojima), will continue to develop and support Metal Gear products. Please look forward to future announcements.”

It's also possible that he's just staying on until MGSV launches and they don't want to announce that he's leaving after that in fear that it will hurt sales.

Dargor

Valhalla. And by Valhalla I mean Platinum.

I can't imagine Hideo Kojima as the kind of guy who would struggle to find work in the industry.

I think he is too expensive for a studio like Platinum that only does contract jobs. But, he sure won't be waiting for long if he leaves Konami. Hes too big a name.

Any developer would love to have him just for the publicity alone.

Bsigg12

It's also possible that he's just staying on until MGSV launches and they don't want to announce that he's leaving after that in fear that it will hurt sales.

That's kind of how I took it. I could easily see it being kind of a slap in the face with the way they're removing all the Kojima branding from MGSV so I could see him bailing out once the game ships.

Kronik

Banned

Could be... but I wouldn't interpret "Please look forward to future announcements" as "Please wait until we announce that we fire your favourite director".

Nairume

Banned
See above. MG for the MSX was already in development when Kojima originally got hired at Konami, and Kojima took it over eventually. He made it his own, but the IP was never his from the get go.
According to wiki, it had another name and design direction at the point he took over. It's kind of iffy to say the game that actually happened wasn't his game.

mrlion

I don't want to sound like "that guy" but...have you guys considered that maybe Kojima is the one who wanted to leave his executive position at Konami?

random25

Konami letting go of their celebrity prodigy...if this is true then I am really shocked. The only person that is really keeping Konami relevant in the video game industry sans mobile is Kojima. I just can't believe that this is happening.

Gonna stay tuned for this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom