• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima will no longer be a Konami executive from April 1st + KojiPro is no more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

omonimo

Banned
Rösti;156590407 said:
Konami unfortunately owns the name Kojima Productions, but maybe Hideo can buy that and continue producing games under that name? Overall, I find this to be a very strange decision by Konami, and wouldn't be surprised if this is the beginning of the end for them.

If this turns out to be a Platinum Games situation where Hideo creates, together with other key members of Kojima Productions, a new studio to develop new intellectual property, it would be nice. Now I wonder what will happen to Silent Hills.
I don't know how much nice could be for him. Famous person like him finish in companies which sell barely something and these survive for a bunch years, to close and open another company, most of the times.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
That was terrible terrible mistake by Konami, they shot the guy who feed them.

Goddamn. MGS5 better send the series out with a bang. Seems like Konami wants nothing to do with games anymore. Makes sense as most of their money comes from gambling a health clubs anyway. RIP Kojima Pro, hell of a run.

If that was the case we would be having news of massive firing on the LA studios and so on, instead we got the restructure news and then the rumors of Kojima and senior staff at KojiPro turn into contractors tie with MGS5 release window to work for Konami.

My bet is that Konami wants to turn MGS into their CoD, so expect a yearly MGS game now.

DevilFox

Holy shit.

I wonder what sort of "power struggle" they're alluding to. Kojima is obviously tired of Metal Gear. Did he put his foot down and say "no more" and Konami is like "haha, you kidder. You totally have a MGS6 ready right?"

"...No."

"Oh shit, you're fired then." *sinks from iceburg*

MGS will continue as long as it will make money, which means forever. Games and merchandises are a gold mine for a software house that is a shadow of itself right now. Only a fool could even think that MGS will end anytime soon, with or without Kojima.

Lemondish

Fantastic creator.

Unless he wants to go independent above all else, I imagine the big three platform holders would love to lock him down as the head of a new internal studio.

I mean, why the hell wouldn't they? Kojima new head of SCE Japan Studios would get everyone all worked up in the best of ways, for instance.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is that true? Are Kojima's games unprofitable? Where is your evidence for that?

Yeah these feel pretty distinct to me.

Konami is a company that's managed to drive away most of their creatives through years of mismanagement and reorganizations.

Ken Levine instead hit the patience limit with the world's most patient publisher and still works there on smaller titles.

If that Gamespot article is true (I believe it), then Konami deserves whatever happens to them after December.

But, I must say that I am extremely excited to see where Kojima goes and what he does afterward. Because you can bet your ass it will be somewhere where he has and can exercise control.

Isn't MGS the only Konami IP that still sells proper numbers and still has Fan Support? Pro Evolution Soccer isn't that big of a deal anymore and I can't think of any other Konami IP that they didn't kill off that still matters.

benzy

Hopefully! Let's hope he can get the financial backing to do something great.

MGR 2 seems unlikely now.

Also, a lot of the big names that left studios in the past have been stuck not doing what amounts to much in the last few years. Most have done mobile stuff..

Yeah, Kojima relied on Metal Gear's big budgets to create his vision. I don't think we'll be getting similar games if he goes indie; it won't have the MGS brand so there's also going to be a lot more risks. Itagaki had to put up his mortgage to finish work on Devil's Third.

Kyolux

Holy shit.

I wonder what sort of "power struggle" they're alluding to. Kojima is obviously tired of Metal Gear. Did he put his foot down and say "no more" and Konami is like "haha, you kidder. You totally have a MGS6 ready right?"

"...No."

"Oh shit, you're fired then." *sinks from iceburg*

That's a big possibility.

geordiemp

It must be difficult for any person involved in console games in Japan at the moment with the absolute focus on mobile.

No idea what's happened to Kojima and why the fallout, but the market conditions in Japan cant have helped.

Crazy times.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
MGS will continue as long as it will make money, which means forever. Games and merchandises are a gold mine for a software house that is a shadow of itself right now. Only a fool could even think that MGS will end anytime soon, with or without Kojima.

That's not what I'm saying at all.

Kojima is the only thing keeping Konami relevant in the west since they lost IGA (on handhelds)/Castlevania-Metroidvania's and Pro Evolution Soccer is fighting with Fifa in Europe, America can't care.

Konami can continue making MGS titles, but if word gets out that Kojima is gone... I can't see the die-hard fanbase continuing to support Konami. I certainly won't.

The only thing Konami can do to get more cash from me post MGS5 is:

-Port previous titles in the series to PC (possible they'll do that for Steam)
-Put Metal Gear AC!D 1/2 on PSN

Otherwise any new MGS from them that isn't Kojima lead/oversaw is completely no go for me.

duckroll

What if Kojima joins Microsoft and he works on Halo 7???

Maybe he'll follow the same path his bro Ryan Payton went through. He'll join MS and work on Halo 7 for a year or two until he leaves due to creative differences. Then he can do a Kickstarter for a new indie mobile game.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
So we can also say goodbye to Silent HillS I guess.
Hopefully someone (Sony/Naughty Dog perhaps) will buy the Silent Hill franchise from Konami and allow Kojima to continue work on Silent Hills.

vpance

Poor Kojima, he's turned into just like one of the characters out of his videogames. Ninja Theory will save the day though.

Kyolux

Im dreading this announcement. If this happens, Konami can go straight to hell.

It might just move to be developed by Del Toro / Konami without Kojima, but it won't be the same now wouldn't it?

And like you said earlier, can't imagine a mgs without Kojima being something that I'd want. I'd keep an eye on it, but doubt there'd be that spark that makes it so good.

Alienous

Is that true? Are Kojima's games unprofitable? Where is your evidence for that?

Even being profitable, I'm not sure how much of a viable prospect they are from the perspective of a higher-up at Konami.

> 5 development years (since the last main-line title).
> A brand-new game engine
> 2 development studios
> Marketing costs
> One game

That's got to be a hefty bill to look at, and it might be deemed unnecessary when the other parts of Konami's business practices probably don't require that much investment, or as much of a wait for a return on investment.

It might just be money that Konami corporate thinks would be better spent manufacturing poker chips, or whatever the fuck else they do.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
2015-03-1919_14_48-2tf7lr7.png

Kyolux

I still can't believe this is happening.

Kojima kept Konami afloat (or at least its market share) for the last decade or more.

I can understand them not wanting to bend over all his wants, but jeeze, a fallout like that is probable suicide.

Maybe he'll follow the same path his bro Ryan Payton went through. He'll join MS and work on Halo 7 for a year or two until he leaves due to creative differences. Then he can do a Kickstarter for a new indie mobile game.

He's no hero... Never was. He's just an old director... Hired to do some wet work.

AlexIIDX

It might just move to be developed by Del Toro / Konami without Kojima, but it won't be the same now wouldn't it?

And like you said earlier, can't imagine a mgs without Kojima being something that I'd want. I'd keep an eye on it, but doubt there'd be that spark that makes it so good.

Yea, without the Kojima touch....whats the point :/

OrochiJR

Hopefully MGSV is finished enough so that this dispute does not affect the quality of the game. But good for Kojima if he is finally freed from his shackles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom