• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima's new game will be published by Sony, is also coming to PC, not Silent Hill

Ploid 3.0

It's a lost cause and Sony know it. One game alone, League of Legends, sees more players per day than there are PS4's in the entire world. PC is not even in the same ballpark as PS4. What would be the point in even competing with it.

League, Hearthstone, and such can be played on the most basic of PC's. Companies like Blizzard aim for a very low requirement for the purpose that almost everyone, or household owns a PC. Minecraft can be played on a $300 PC from walmart (maybe they cost less, I'm not sure), and I wonder if LoL can play on it as well. Anything should be able to play Hearthstone. Those low end PCs will spit up blood trying to play a game like MGS5, Lightning Returns, Skyrim, or Assassin's Creed.

Corpekata

Banned
League, Hearthstone, and such can be played on the most basic of PC's. Companies like Blizzard aim for a very low requirement for the purpose that almost everyone, or household owns a PC. Minecraft can be played on a $300 PC from walmart (maybe they cost less, I'm not sure), and I wonder if LoL can play on it as well. Anything should be able to play Hearthstone. Those low end PCs will spit up blood trying to play a game like MGS5, Lightning Returns, or Assassin's Creed.

Lightning Returns seems like an odd example.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
PC gaming... desks... what? Been playing PC games on my HDTV for years. Jesus, this is a hardcore gaming forum. I wish more people were up to speed on what modern PC gaming is like.

I have to think lots of people are just saying shit to get a rise out of people. Don't take the bait fam.

giphy.gif

T.E.D

Banned
League, Hearthstone, and such can be played on the most basic of PC's. Companies like Blizzard aim for a very low requirement for the purpose that almost everyone, or household owns a PC. Minecraft can be played on a $300 PC from walmart (maybe they cost less, I'm not sure), and I wonder if LoL can play on it as well. Anything should be able to play Hearthstone. Those low end PCs will spit up blood trying to play a game like MGS5, Lightning Returns, Skyrim, or Assassin's Creed.

The questions was - why is Sony putting this on PC given that PC is a bigger threat to PS4 than XBO. Well, there are more PC players in the world than XBO, Wii U and PS4 players combined. I have a PC, you have a PC, everybody in this thread likely has a PC at home. It's more the norm than the exception in 2015. And that market is something big publishers and devs are not likely to ignore particularly given the fact that Sony and Microsoft is releasing numerous console exclusives on PC too.

As far as $300 dollar PC's spitting up blood playing big budget games are concerned, the Potato Masher, a $350 PC, has already demonstrated that it is more than capable of running even the most visually demanding games at a far better standard than either console. So you are getting more bang for your buck.

Ploid 3.0

The questions was - why is Sony putting this on PC given that PC is a bigger threat to PS4 than XBO. Well, there are more PC players in the world than XBO, Wii U and PS4 players combined. I have a PC, you have a PC, everybody in this thread likely has a PC at home. It's more the norm than the exception in 2015. And that market is something big publishers and devs are not likely to ignore particularly given the fact that Sony and Microsoft is releasing numerous console exclusives on PC too.

As far as $300 dollar PC's spitting up blood playing big budget games are concerned, the Potato Masher, a $350 PC, has already demonstrated that it is more than capable of running even the most visually demanding games at a far better standard than either console. So you are getting more bang for your buck.

The Potato Masher sounds like a good PC, I will be looking into that as my Nephew wants a gaming pc. Thanks, seriously. (ninja edit, oh it's not prebuilt, no OS in a lot of the ones I see too, still interesting though)

Still though, people just love the simplicity of gaming consoles, and phones. I still like the no need to tweak nature of consoles. Even if a game is running bad I'd know it's not just me and I don't have to figure it out. Then there's the reason I still have consoles, even though I mainly play games on PC, I need them for the games that aren't on PC.

I'm sure Sony gets to fund them less if it's also on PC as that's another revenue to make money for the developer. So of the casuals that stick to phones, and consoles (some haven't even moved to current gen yet. Crazy), they will be expecting to gain their purchases.

Dervy

Neo Member
Sorry if this has been mentioned already.

I was going through the new Kojima Productions website and looking at their Job Postings and I noticed they're hiring specifically for a Weapons/Mechanical Artist.. Interesting.

So I looked further into the Job Listing and part of the Job Description:

Weapons, gadgets, vehicles, 3D model production, such as mechanical

And further down...

Rich knowledge in mecha and military field

Is he planning a Spiritual Sucessor to Zone of Enders?

https://translate.google.com/transl...ww.kojimaproductions.jp/careers/artist02.html

There's more as well:

Rides and mechanical, monsters such as, production knowledge of a wide range of animation that is not limited to the person, and experience

https://translate.google.com/transl...roductions.jp/careers/artist04.html&sandbox=1

Because no one is actively advertising PC except for random people on Reddit and gaming forums. Of course there are people on the cusp or somewhat interested, but there are also plenty of people that have zero interest in the platform for whatever reason. But for many, when they're watching tv or YouTube, or whatever, they're seeing that big Xbox or Sony logo and it sticks with them.

It could be cheaper, more powerful, some people simply don't give a shit tbh.

Rising_Hei

Please don't act as if every PC around the world is a beast.
Note: Most are shit and that's why many play games that don't ask for such machines like LOL and WOW.

The % of "beasts" is so damn low that almost no companies try to target them, and because of this not many should say the "PC version of something" is the definitive version (that'd be just to you) since most PCs are very humble and hence, such an affirmation is false.

I wish we could just talk about kojima and the likes, PC owners should be glad that Kojima games can be released on PC instead of talking about how big their e-8=D is

This is great news. Last night I was telling my friend I'd have to buy a ps4 after Kojima's next game comes out. Not anymore, I'll just get it for PC because that's the best version.

orochi91

Because no one is actively advertising PC except for random people on Reddit and gaming forums. Of course there are people on the cusp or somewhat interested, but there are also plenty of people that have zero interest in the platform for whatever reason. But for many, when they're watching tv or YouTube, or whatever, they're seeing that big Xbox or Sony logo and it sticks with them.

It could be cheaper, more powerful, some people simply don't give a shit tbh.
Is Patato Masher personally mass producing millions of these $350 PC's? Or does the end user who hasn't built a PC before need to spend an hours of their spare time educating themselves on what parts are needed along with what they're actually putting together? And with luck and no troubleshooting issues, the user will have to continuously switch between a mouse/keyboard + a non standard controller to use Windows O/S and juggle three other clients (Steam, Origin, uPlay) to play the popular third party games.

Or

They can go to Wal-Mart, buy an Xbox One or PS4 and set it up faster than an DVD player and have a unified O/S with one standard controller with all the latest games.

I don't know why this is difficult for some people to understand. PC gaming is a different platform compared to consoles and each has its own strength & weaknesses. Flexible yet complex vs restrictive & ease of use. And the market has spoken for almost as long as consoles have been existence.

That's why Sony doesn't see them as competition.

+1

Well said.

Is Patato Masher personally mass producing millions of these $350 PC's? Or does the end user who hasn't built a PC before need to spend an hours of their spare time educating themselves on what parts are needed along with what they're actually putting together? And with luck and no troubleshooting issues, the user will have to continuously switch between a mouse/keyboard + a non standard controller to use Windows O/S and juggle three other clients (Steam, Origin, uPlay) to play the popular third party games.

Or

They can go to Wal-Mart, buy an Xbox One or PS4 and set it up faster than an DVD player and have a unified O/S with one standard controller with all the latest games.

I don't know why this is difficult for some people to understand. PC gaming is a different platform compared to consoles and each has its own strength & weaknesses. Flexible yet complex vs restrictive & ease of use. And the market has spoken for almost as long as consoles have been existence.

That's why Sony doesn't see them as competition.

Salsa

can we swap "definitive version" with "better looking, higher framerate version"

does that take care of things

like not even to get into the argument, but how stupid is it to call someone out on "fanboyism bullshit" when saying "better version" if it's.. like, the reality.

when call of duty comes out do 360 owners get ofended by Xbone users saying theirs is better at things

whole reason this started was not because of someone saying "definitive version" but cause of someone reacting to that, for some weird ass reason

Script

Neo Member
Eh what a bad way to start off a thread, all of it could've been avoided too if someone didn't want to go around saying stuff like "definitive ver". Things like this that make people hope a game is exclusive to their system of choice so that they don't have to deal with reading stuff like that.

Anyways good on Sony for being such a nice guy to Kojima. I'm sure they're not funding anywhere near MGSV amounts but I'm sure Kojima will take whatever he can get if he's starting his own studio. Lets see what he can do on a smaller budget now, hopefully it goes well so he can work on future games as well.

Not to start any warz, but I see PS4 users using the term "definitive edition" every so often in Rise of the Tomb Raider threads. Why is it a problem when PC gamers use it?

+1

Well said.

I wish folks would try to understand this. I've owned a gaming PC for years now and I've been building them since I was a kid. That said, I still end up playing many game on console anyway. I've got no big issue against PC and when I'm feeling the itch for some 4K Lego Jurassic park :p I'll play it on that, but the majority of the time I just don't give a shit.

PC is great, I'll only handle media on PC as I'm a control freak and I understand why folks can be the same way with their games, but folks need to realize that some people just don't care.

Not to start any warz, but I see PS4 users using the term "definitive edition" every so often in Rise of the Tomb Raider threads. Why is it a problem when PC gamers use it?

A majority of the time, I've seen people say that because they think any DLC and such will be included similar to a GOTY edition. If they're simply talking graphics, then they're just being silly.

Shenmue

Banned
Lol what's up with all the people trying so damn hard to insist that PC is in direct competition to the PS4? You guys doth protest too much, no?

Whether it is or not isn't even the issue. Sony doesn't see the PC as a competitor that will hurt the PS4's sales. That's all that matters. Why don't you guys let Sony worry about if releasing on PC or not is a good or bad decision?

can we swap "definitive version" with "better looking, higher framerate version"

like not even to get into the argument, but how stupid is it to call someone out on "fanboyism bullshit" when saying "better version" if it's.. like, the reality.

when call of duty comes out do 360 owners get ofended by Xbone users saying theirs is better at things

whole reason this started was not because of someone saying "definitive version" but cause of someone reacting to that, for some weird ass reason

No, the argument was, we don't even know how the game will look and perform on each platform so it's too early to claim anything at this point.
And I agree, it's best to stop that kind of discussion.

Salsa

No, the argument was, we don't even know how the game will look and perform on each platform so it's too early to claim anything at this point.
And I agree, it's best to stop that kind of discussion.

it don't matter. If the PS4 version looks and runs better then someone fucked up

every time something gets re-released in better hardware people refer to it as the "definitive version", and it makes sense, this is all that's happening here, yet somehow now it's wrong

even beyond that, they've already said PC comes later, so maybe it even does something else. It's on better hardware, and it comes later. That's both the things people use to call something the "definitive version" arent they? the fuck is happening

I bet the game runs and looks great on both (hopefully, and expectedly given the people behind it) so what are we even discussing

the argument makes it sounds as if the PS4, the Xbone, or whatever else is better at handling games than a PC, and that's just factually untrue, is all

I thought the console war fanboyism stuff was with consoles

it don't matter. If the PS4 version looks and runs better then someone fucked up

every time something gets re-released in better hardware people refer to it as the "definitive version", and it makes sense, this is all that's happening here, yet somehow now it's wrong

I bet the game runs and looks great on both (hopefully, and expectedly given the people behind it) so what are we even discussing

the argument makes it sounds as if the PS4, the Xbone, or whatever else is better at handling games than a PC, and that's just factually untrue, is all

I thought the console war fanboyism stuff was with consoles

I (we) know.
But still, it would be best for PC gamers to lay low until the game is released. Fighting fire with fire won't get us anywhere.

Corpekata

Banned
Eh what a bad way to start off a thread, all of it could've been avoided too if someone didn't want to go around saying stuff like "definitive ver". Things like this that make people hope a game is exclusive to their system of choice so that they don't have to deal with reading stuff like that.

Yes, this line of thought is totally a rational response to that sort of comment.

"I hope a game is exclusive so I don't have to deal with forum comments I don't like." Sheesh.

The only things that make people think that thought is if they're a massive frigging fanboy.

Salsa

I (we) know.
But still, it would be best for PC gamers to lay low until the game is released. Fighting fire with fire won't get us anywhere.

Tizoc's comment was cheeky and basically like.. the truth

Cyborg's comment was not

maybe he was baiting, the ";)" might suggest so, but idk

Yes, this line of thought is totally a rational response to that sort of comment.

"I hope a game is exclusive so I don't have to deal with forum comments I don't like." Sheesh.

The only things that make people think that thought is if they're a massive frigging fanboy.

Today has been something else, I saw a dude on Reddit say that he no longer cares how kojima was treated because of this...

Script

Neo Member

That's pretty much bragging and it usually reacts in the same response no matter what we're comparing whether it be Houses,Shoes, even store brand items to name brand items.

Everyone knows that's not the case, but at some point when you see it being said in a lot of thread about PC and console release it just comes of as a brag. Like yeah your PC is stronger then the consoles, yeah you're going to run the game better. Why do they even feel the need to say it? It's rather pointless in my opinion.

Piggus

The % of "beasts" is so damn low that almost no companies try to target them, and because of this not many should say the "PC version of something" is the definitive version (that'd be just to you) since most PCs are very humble and hence, such an affirmation is false.

Ugh, this reminds me of the lame "PC doesn't count" argument when talking about games that were on both PC and 360.

You don't need a particularly expensive PC to play most current-gen games, even at settings that match or exceed what the PS4 can do.

Bedlam

Whatever this game turns out to be, I just hope that thanks to Sony's funding this won't be another microtransaction nightmare such as MGSV.

That's pretty much bragging and it usually reacts in the same response no matter what we're comparing whether it be Houses,Shoes, even store brand items to name brand items.

Everyone knows that's not the case, but at some point when you see it being said in a lot of thread about PC and console release it just comes of as a brag. Like yeah your PC is stronger then the consoles, yeah you're going to run the game better. Why do they even feel the need to say it? It's rather pointless in my opinion.

Imho bragging is fine as long as the topic is all about graphics/performance comparison. See DF PS4/XB1 and/or 1080p/900p threads, for example. Why is that PS4 fans can brag about their console's strength over the XB1, if PC can't do the same for the PS4?

Bragging this early, for a game that we know nothing yet, is not cool, yes.

Mivey

He doesn't know what it would be if he were to work with Del Toro, if it will be a game, movie, anime, "but someday I definitely want to work with him"
Well, it's not like you could really distinguish his games from movies and/or animes.
/s

And yet, we have discussions here where PS4 fans practically preen when a game that is both in PS4 and XBO has better resolutions/performance than in XBO, and does not hide that fact.

So why is it okay when PS4 knocks down the other consoles, but when PC comes into the picture, it's now "Hey not fair boo-hoo"? To be honest, that is one of the reasons why these discussions always happen: there's always some satisfaction to be had when the bully gets bullied.

Script

Neo Member
Imho bragging is fine as long as the topic is all about graphics/performance comparison. See DF PS4/XB1 and/or 1080p/900p threads, for example. Why is that PS4 fans can brag about their console's strength over the XB1, if PC can't do the same for the PS4?

The ones who brag about stuff in digital foundry threads aren't the sames ones in here. Keep the superiority complex and fanboy wars in there and don't bring that stuff into every thread where a game is announced and platforms for it are revealed. Also I'm sure XB1 people get annoyed when PS4 people brag to them, so I don't think it should surprise you if PS4 people get annoyed when PC people brag to them right?

If you want to brag about resolution etc in a DF thread about the 3 platform I see nothing wrong with that, but we're not talking about resolution and performance here are we?

And yet, we have discussions here where PS4 fans practically preen when a game that is both in PS4 and XBO has better resolutions/performance than in XBO, and does not hide that fact.

So why is it okay when PS4 knocks down the other consoles, but when PC comes into the PS4, it's now "Hey not fair boo-hoo"? To be honest, that is one of the reasons why these discussions always happen: there's always some satisfaction to be had when the bully gets bullied.

I never said that it was ok for PS4 fans to do it, as the poster above said if it's a DF type of things then why not. But outside of that if not derail thread, it brings nothing to the discussion.

Gotta agree with this. It's somehow okay to put down Xbox One versions time and again, but suddenly everyone is mad when someone says the PC version is superior. This kind of dickwaving is completely silly, regardless of the platform, but the double standards do bother me somewhat.

Who said it was ok?

So why is it okay when PS4 knocks down the other consoles, but when PC comes into the PS4, it's now "Hey not fair boo-hoo"? To be honest, that is one of the reasons why these discussions always happen: there's always some satisfaction to be had when the bully gets bullied.

Gotta agree with this. It's somehow okay to put down Xbox One versions time and again, but suddenly everyone is mad when someone says the PC version is superior. This kind of dickwaving is completely silly, regardless of the platform, but the double standards do bother me somewhat.

Available for pre-order from December 21.

http://kojimaproductions-store.jp/en/

CWYpKh5UEAErPWa.jpg:large

Well, shit.
I need it now.

The ones who brag about stuff in digital foundry threads aren't the sames ones in here. Keep the superiority complex and fanboy wars in there and don't bring that stuff into every thread where a game is announced and platforms for it are revealed. Also I'm sure XB1 people get annoyed when PS4 people brag to them, so I don't think it should surprise you if PS4 people get annoyed when PC people brag to them right?

If you want to brag about resolution etc in a DF thread about the 3 platform I see nothing wrong with that, but we're not talking about resolution and performance here are we?

I know that feeling, last gen I have a PS3 instead of the 360. Hence my last line on my post you quoted. At this point, and at this topic, we really shouldn't talk about it.

I hope more people on gaf understand it though.

Top Bottom