• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami announces Metal Gear Survive (PS4/XB1/PC, $30, 2017)

How do you feel about the future of the Metal Gear franchise?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah right, my bad, I forgot how a series of tight interconnected levels designed around infiltration turned out to be way more boring and repetitive than I thought in MGS1-3. The clusters of separated single-room prefab buildings sitting in the middle of open terrain and a few hills with a truck carrying 2 soldiers driving by every now and again were way more varied and thrilling to infiltrate 3 or 4 times during the main story missions. Sometimes I liked to experiment with new playstyles and switch from no-kill ghost stealth using equipment that I had heavily upgraded over the course of a dozen hours or so to a Rambo run-n-gun kill 'em all style, so I'd kick off some research projects to build up the necessary gear to deal with the advanced enemies at that stage in the game and then let my game run idle for a few hours while I went and played with my phone or browsed reddit. Man those old MGS games focused around infiltration were totes repetitive in retrospect tho, it's a wonder how the series ever became successful enough to make it to the 5th entry where things really got good.

I'm just excited that, based on the trailer, this new MGSurvive game looks to continue the trend of vast desolate landscapes and an eschewing of most of the core aspects that made the MGS series popular to begin with.
nick-young-confused-face.jpg

Dipper145

Would be interesting if they kept all the crazy nonsense of the metal gear world, with less of the anime and creepiness/perviness that seemed prevalent to me in the past.

What, did you really need a "/s" in there? I was replying to a guy who said that game of nothing but a progressive series of infiltration missions in tightly designed levels (ie. exactly what MGS1-3 did and what GZ and OKB0 showed was possible with the new engine and gameplay mechanics) would get repetitive, as opposed to the vacant landscapes dotted with single-room prefab buildings that constitute 80% of MGSV's level design. The latter level design is lauded as good by the game's fans because the levels are so open that you can change up your play style to try new things...except that the bizarre upgrade system and hidden tech trees force you to wait hours in realtime (almost like a F2P mobile game) if you want to unlock and upgrade the gear and weapons necessary to change playstyles to any significant degree. I know sarcasm can be hard to read on the internet, but Jesus it's not like I was being subtle with that last post.

Ludens

Banned
Did someone ask Konami if this is retail or digital only? Since game uk listed it I presume retail, but it could be a download code?

CHC

First serious poll in a while! Nothing against joke polls, but it feels refreshing :)

Yeah I was expecting joke options, but that really is a good summary of the different camps with regard to feelings. My feelings seem to be shared by many others ("generally uninterested").

I'm curious to see what the next single player game in the series looks like. After how disappointing 5 was, having a single palyer mGS without Kojima's garbage in it sounds appealing.

This looks lame, though.

MGSV is the best feeling game of all time imo. I disagree with you.

Eh, what the fuck does this have to do with Metal Gear haha??

I don't know, looks really stupid and try-hard but maybe it'll SOMEHOW be a cool Action game? Yeah...

Wait, I just read this is a budget title or whatever you want to call it on top of it...can't wait for the two hundred $19.99 DLC packs and all that.

beastmode

I actually think it looks really good. Even graphically, not needing to be on 360 or PS3 anymore. New weapons are fun PW-slingshot-like toys. Zombies are cooler than the ones in Phantom Pain

Removal of co-op for MGSV was such a huge disappointment for me. MGSV also had really disappointing bosses, glad to see large 4 player bosses back

For $30 ($10 less than GZ) I don't see how this could be worse than GZ

Edit: Unless you like, really really needed to see the two cutscenes that were already in all the trailers

JackelZXA

What, did you really need a "/s" in there? I was replying to a guy who said that game of nothing but a progressive series of infiltration missions in tightly designed levels (ie. exactly what MGS1-3 did and what GZ and OKB0 showed was possible with the new engine and gameplay mechanics) would get repetitive, as opposed to the vacant landscapes dotted with single-room prefab buildings that constitute 80% of MGSV's level design. The latter level design is lauded as good by the game's fans because the levels are so open that you can change up your play style to try new things...except that the bizarre upgrade system and hidden tech trees force you to wait hours in realtime (almost like a F2P mobile game) if you want to unlock and upgrade the gear and weapons necessary to change playstyles to any significant degree. I know sarcasm can be hard to read on the internet, but Jesus it's not like I was being subtle with that last post.

Your sarcasm was so thick that it crawled inside its own belly to weather its own sarcasm. (Hard to get what you meant is all)

For $30 ($10 less than GZ) I don't see how this could be worse than GZ

Edit: Unless you like, really really needed to see the two cutscenes that were already in all the trailers

Ground Zeroes was the best $20 I ever spent (Not worth more than that) the main mission is great, the tapes are interesting (even..those ones...though they ARE extreme) and the six bonus ops were a ton of fun (and every mission had a hard mode) it was a great $20 game, but charging more than that on other platforms was a freaking ripoff. I still cant believe konami tried to charge people $40 for that. (Also, i wonder if the backlash lead to changes in TPP's design. Camp Omega, now that its all said and done, is actually a really great environment, and the 2.5 cutscenes are some of the best produced realtime cinematics in all of gaming. I really appreciate the attention to detail, subtle lighting effects, and camera animation to make it feel like actual cameraman-work in big long cuts that dont feature cuts (it really has a good style to it, actually)).

Ludens

Banned
I'm curious to see what you'll get for 30$ and what will release as DLC, because I'm pretty sure Konami will design this game around DLCs and microtransactions.

Resident Evil.

Final Fantasy

Metal Gear

All my favorite Japanese franchises of the past now with new titles that look like ass-garbage.

For RE I'm speaking mostly about 6, but I don't have faith in 7. Not with Capcom as it is right now.

I'm just hoping that this will be a solid title (no pun intended). I know that the general assumption is "FUCK KONAMI, THIS GAME WILL SUCK," but I'm hoping that we'll get something better than the absolute worst.

If I get a giant map to explore with three other people, along with the gameplay of MGSV, I'll be happy.

It's not a perfect set-up, obviously. But I'd rather Konami go this way, rather than sending MGS to the Pachinko Purgatory.

Dy_Cy

Resident Evil.

Final Fantasy

Metal Gear

All my favorite Japanese franchises of the past now with new titles that look like ass-garbage.

For RE I'm speaking mostly about 6, but I don't have faith in 7. Not with Capcom as it is right now.

Saying FFXV is on the same level as Metal Gear Survive is a bit exaggerated I think. At least FFXV looks fun and ambitious.

Roni

Gold Member
What really disappoints me is the fact that there were at least 3 wildly different zombie concepts already embedded into Metal Gear's canon lore, 2 of which were there in Phantom Pain itself. It's like the idea for a zombie cooperative game was thrown around and the team charged with building the design didn't even bother to play MGSV.

There was no need for wormholes, alternate dimensions or a new unexplained zombie design. They could have harnessed canon and built a game which actually tied into the lore, even if the story was secondary in nature.

Video Link

Whoever posted this Death Stranding is Silent Hills analysis video, thank you. This is such a well made conspiracy video and there's a ton of attention to detail *and of course, take everything with a grain of salt*

There's some metal gear stuff in the video too for relevancy *to this specific thread*

Edit: Video falls apart near the end where they say P.T. was a PS4 exclusive and so is Death Stranding. Collapses into Middle Earth once they suggest the Konami fallout is a ruse.

Edit 2: this video wasn't posted here but in the DEATH Stranding thread...duh.

DrBo42

Video Link

Whoever posted this Death Stranding is Silent Hills analysis video, thank you. This is such a well made conspiracy video and there's a ton of attention to detail.

There's some metal gear stuff in the video too for relevancy.

Pretty sure PythonSelkan was behind some of those awful Gray Fox = Venom conspiracies. Type of guy that was #TeamCG for the bandaged GT guy. Another Batzi level nut.

Everything he tends to put together is entirely confirmation bias.

Pretty sure PythonSelkan was behind some of those awful Gray Fox = Venom conspiracies. Type of guy that was #TeamCG for the bandaged GT guy. Another Batzi level nut.

Everything he tends to put together is entirely confirmation bias.

Nah. Didn't he already say it's an action game?

Hah, I'm only watching it for entertainment and taking everything with a huge grain of salt (given how insane some metal gear fans are). Compared to other conspiracy videos, they really know how to put something together and make it interesting. Thanks for the background info on the uploader.

What I meant by mentioning MGS was for relevancy to the topic as I didn't want to make an entirely new thread. And yeah, pretty sure Kojima said it's a 3rd Person Action game.

Dremark

Banned
I'm just hoping that this will be a solid title (no pun intended). I know that the general assumption is "FUCK KONAMI, THIS GAME WILL SUCK," but I'm hoping that we'll get something better than the absolute worst.

If I get a giant map to explore with three other people, along with the gameplay of MGSV, I'll be happy.

It's not a perfect set-up, obviously. But I'd rather Konami go this way, rather than sending MGS to the Pachinko Purgatory.

I'm not excited for the game, mainly because Konami can suck a huge fat one and choke on it (Thanks Phil Fish). However, it would honestly take skill for them to screw this up to the point where it's actually bad.

MGSV played great and can work for stealth or action. I don't think it will be anywhere near as detailed or polished as TPP but I think it will play fine and be a decent title for the type of game it is.

Dremark

Banned
I'm curious to see what the next single player game in the series looks like. After how disappointing 5 was, having a single palyer mGS without Kojima's garbage in it sounds appealing.

This looks lame, though.

Oh, come on. A whole bunch of you guys said that whoever took over would be an improvement over Kojima. I fully expect you all to buy this game day 1 and sing it's praises.

Ludens

Banned
Video Link

Whoever posted this Death Stranding is Silent Hills analysis video, thank you. This is such a well made conspiracy video and there's a ton of attention to detail *and of course, take everything with a grain of salt*

There's some metal gear stuff in the video too for relevancy *to this specific thread*

Not wanna spend 68 minutes of my life watching a "conspiracy" video already proved wrong.

mcz117chief

I see zombies, i skip immediatly.

Konami, Just No.

No.

So you skipped V as well? Even though there are zombies in V it still is an amazing game and the best parts about it are the shooting mechanics. If Survive is just going to be Metal Gear Solid V without the need to go non-lethal then I honestly can't wait for this game.

edit: sorry for the bump, I just saw the trailer now and I was actually surprised by the game's look. I think this is going to be a fun game with the amazing shooting mechanics that we have seen in V. And the price tag looks very nice too.

SMG

So you skipped V as well? Even though there are zombies in V it still is an amazing game and the best parts about it are the shooting mechanics. If Survive is just going to be Metal Gear Solid V without the need to go non-lethal then I honestly can't wait for this game.

edit: sorry for the bump, I just saw the trailer now and I was actually surprised by the game's look. I think this is going to be a fun game with the amazing shooting mechanics that we have seen in V. And the price tag looks very nice too.

In a few sections. Most of the game is taking out small groups of human outposts.
The zombie stuff was shit and a whole game of that would be insufferable.

mcz117chief

The zombie stuff was shit and a whole game of that would be insufferable.

I dunno, they were one of the few enemies in that game that you could kill guilt-free and since they were hard to knock out it was fun throwing them around with cqc :)

mcz117chief

Zombies aren't the focus of V.

Of course not, but what I thought he meant is that he hates any kind of game with any kind of zombies in them, which would be a real shame since you would skip on some incredible games like Left 4 Dead, The Last of Us or the aforementioned Metal Gear Solid V.

Now that i've had time to think I think this could be a pretty fun game

with MGS name slapped on it smh

Right. I believe the idea to make it a Metal Gear game came to them for two main reasons: 1) Metal Gear is a big name so the game will sell copies based on it's name alone regardless of quality and 2) since the FOX engine is synonymous with Metal Gear and it's actually pretty good they can cut the cost of development dramatically by just reusing all the assets and animations from V.

This poll doesn't have Thor 2: The Dark World as an option. This is unacceptable, I expected better from GAF.

Just so this post isn't off-topic, I'm very disappointed, yada yada #FucKonami.

The latest PlayStation Dengeki Magazine contains an interview with a Metal Gear Survive developer staff about their upcoming title. The staffer confirmed that "a lot" of the developers from Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain will be returning to make this game. In the interview we also get some tidbits of the single player and multiplayer as far as the level of difficulty is concerned. Multiplayer will consist of four players and will be easier to take on waves of "Creatures" compared to doing it alone in Single Player.

You can check out the translated material below:

Q: What kind of game is Metal Gear Survive
A: We're using the world and action of MGSV:TPP but based on an up to 4 player co-operative game. Using the charm points of the “Metal Gear” such as its Stealth Action mission base but giving it a twist by adding a new element with a “Survival Action” twist which we hope Metal Gear fans and non-fans will both enjoy.

Q: Which staff members will be spear-heading the development of the game?
A: A lot of the development staff from MGSV:TPP will be returning to help create Metal Gear Survive.

Q: Where exactly does this game fall in the timeline of the Franchise?
A: This happens directly after the end of MGS:GZ.

Q: Who is the Main player character in this game?
A: The Main Character of Metal Gear Survive is a soldier straight from Mother Base.

Q: What kind of world does the Main Character get himself tied up in?
A: The world of Metal Gear Survive is nothing you've never seen before. It's similar to MGSV:GZ “Side Ops”, but this game stems into a brand new timeline different from MGSV:TPP.

Q: Why has the main character been sucked into this mysterious world?
A: As Mother Base is being bombarded with explosives at the end of MGSV:GZ a worm-hole opens above the devastation that was the Mother Base which sucks up the main character among other things.

Q: What enemies will we be facing in Metal Gear Survive?
A: There are “Creatures” that never existed in the main timeline.

Q: Will we be able to customize our Main character? E.G Gender, Appearance, Equiptment, Weapons etc?
A: The player will indeed get to customize their character. You'll be able to use several weapons such as the Spear or Bow from the announcement trailer. You'll be able to develop your own equipment for your own play style too.

Q: Will there be Online Multiplayer?
A: Apart from Single player mode there will be an up to 4 player co-op multiplayer mode.

Q: What are the differences between Single Player & Multiplayer modes?
A: In Metal Gear Survive, your enemies are known as “Creatures”. In Single Player you will be able to stealthily manoeuvre around them calling back to echoes from the main MGS timeline, you will be able to do the same alongside your teammates in Multiplayer. However, taking on waves of Creatures in Single Player will be far more difficult compared to online mode.

Q: Will the main character have a Home Base of Head Quarters of sorts?
A: As seen in the Announcement trailer, Mother Base will become the starting base. Enemies will be surrounding the base and may attack at certain points. Apart from that we cannot reveal any more at this current time.

Q: As the title suggest… will we be seeing Metal Gears in the game?
A: We cannot reveal any information at this time.

Q: When will we be able to see in-game footage?
A: We're making preparations for that so please look forward to future announcements.

Q: Could you please make a comment for the Metal Gear fans as well as the readers of Dengeki?
A: We're bringing the highly enjoyed MGSV:TPP action and following it up with a little twist where you battle non-human creatures alongside a mass off difficult missions that you can complete alongside friends online. The game is smoothly coming along and we hope MGS fans & new fans alike enjoy our brand new look on the franchise.

play-asia.com/news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom