• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami taking down various older iOS games, including the original carnival of stupid

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Yeah, but vital day-one patches won't always be available. Lots of discs are going to be coasters long before physical degradation is even a factor.

The PS3/360 gen was a major turning point in making console gaming temporary and disposable, and it'll only get worse.

You're totally right.

Though I do think PS3/360's patches will remain online far longer than, say, OG Xbox's online game service.

I also trust in homebrew solutions for that stuff too. In 2035 I will be able to patch my PS3 games if I want, but not thanks to Sony.

Kirlia

Banned
That thread was fucking legendary.

OVOdVmT.jpg

Could someone link that thread? I want to see it.

SmokyDave

Ah man, I like MGS Touch.

I know it makes me the worst consumer ever, but I've come to terms with digital delistings. Every digital title on any platform is a rental, so just mind how much you spend and realise you can lose access at any time.

dock

Incorrect analogy.

A PS3 will always play every PS3 game.

This is more akin to a firmware update for PS3 killing your ability to play PS3 games.

Actually this is the equivalent to a game being removed from PSN, but it's still on your account. There are no devices from 2009 which support iOS8.

Speaking as an iOS developer, I don't like it that old ios games become delisted, but hardware changes between phones are pretty big, and it's a waste of money to update unprofitable games ad infinitum.

oni-link

Yeah, but vital day-one patches won't always be available. Lots of discs are going to be coasters long before physical degradation is even a factor.

The PS3/360 gen was a major turning point in making console gaming temporary and disposable, and it'll only get worse.

This is going to be a persistent problem for all gaming from 2005 onwards, for all we know Valve will go under in 10 or 20 years, in which case what happens to all those Steam games you dled back in the day, are you sure they'll stick around for everyone to re-download the 100s of games they have amassed by that point before killing the servers for good?

Valve are doing really well at the moment but anything can change in business, Atari went from kings of the gaming industry to nothing in a decade. Even with stuff like this, there will be a point where all these gaming companies no longer seen the benefit in updating all their mobile games with every single software update

Wait, is this just an iOS thing? first time I've ever heard about breaking backwards compatability, does this happen in Android too?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Actually this is the equivalent to a game being removed from PSN, but it's still on your account. There are no devices from 2009 which support iOS8.

Speaking as an iOS developer, I don't like it that old ios games become delisted, but hardware changes between phones are pretty big, and it's a waste of money to update unprofitable games ad infinitum.

It is like being delisted from PSN, because that's what it is, a delisting from a digital service.

But it's not comparable to having no backwards compatibility for old games on a new machine.

PS4 not playing PS3 games is no erasure from history. PS3s will always play them.

PS3 games getting delisted? Well yes, that is digital death. And that is the accurate comparison to what is happening here.

This is going to be a persistent problem for all gaming from 2005 onwards, for all we know Valve will go under in 10 or 20 years, in which case what happens to all those Steam games you dled back in the day, are you sure they'll stick around for everyone to re-download the 100s of games they have amassed by that point before killing the servers for good?

Piracy pretty much makes PC games immortal. And i doubt many will think about the morality of pirating games you bought when the alternative is losing them or buying them again.

Top Bottom