• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Halo is releasing on Windows 10 as part of new Xbox + Win10 initiative

I don't know the quality of UWP or the store, so I cannot comment on the implementation, but as far as a strategy goes, this makes sense.

Why? Because it is silly to think that a 300-400 dollars tv-console is going to compete with a 1500-2000 dollars gaming PC. There is a rift there. And it doesn't make sense to punish those people who like games to have to buy the consoles. No matter how much people like Halo, many are not going to buy a Xbox. They just aren't, and the idea that there is no reason to buy an xbox because a game is available on another platform, doesn't make sense.

If you don't have the money or the will to play PC gaming, Xbox is an excellent choice. If you're also telling people that your Xbox bought content will work on PC, then you're giving them more value, exposure and closing the rift between gaming fans on either platform as one. Xbox is just a PC at a high valued pricepoint, and there are many many people who are not interested in tech who will prefer an out of the box configured gaming experience.

Phil Spencer has the right idea here. And if they can take it further- If Xbox can be a solid a streaming box to my PC, or act as a external harddrive, or hub or nas, that would be excellent too.

You know what I would love? If I bought Halo 5 on the windows store, and then being able to stream the game to the xbox, so I can have a friend playing Halo 5 with me. (I play Halo on my pc, and friend plays Halo on a stream from my pc to xbox, using one copy of the game). Then you're suddenly talking about adding great multiplayer features and technology that combines the control of pc gaming with the shared experience of console gaming.
Windows 10 is the best operating system I have had. It's up there with OSX Tiger and XP for me. It's been the most trouble free OS for me by far, and I can say, that even though I love my expensive retina macbook pro 15 late 2013, I'm going back to windows next time, and I want a gaming laptop that can game.

The console exclusivity approach has failed. It doesn't work. In fact it has hurt brands like tomb raider and Halo. developing expensive AAA games have become so expensive that there is no sense in locking down to one platform.
I hope future UWP games will work with less than bugs than Quantum Break. I hope the store will be non-intrusive.

But I like the content strategy.

Top Bottom