• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Michel Ancel on Beyond Good & Evil 2 and the Future of Ubisoft

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's why I'm not writing off what she's said yet. She's still saying it's a Switch exclusive as recently as earlier in the week

Interesting that she's triple-downed on it. For her sake I hope she's correct as otherwise the rumour is going to create a pall of doubt and undo much of the credibility she's earned.

She has probably the single best record of the Nintendo insiders.

As far as the hardware is concerned, sure. The jury's still out on the software side.

Hilarious how some of you are picking and choosing which rumors you want to believe from Laura.

I'm going to believe it's Switch exclusive like she said. She's gotten everything right about the Switch so far. Why would I all of a sudden believe different because of what Ancel said? Idc what these devs say.

Hilarious how some of you are picking and choosing which rumors you want to believe from Laura.

I'm going to believe it's Switch exclusive like she said. She's gotten everything right about the Switch so far. Why would I all of a sudden believe different because of what Ancel said? Idc what these devs say.
She also said it's going to be a 2018 game, and from the way Ancel is talking, it doesn't sound like it's going to make that date if they can't get out of preproduction by the start of next year.

No one is infallible, so I'm not sure why you wouldn't be interested in what Ancel has to say.

The only thing giving me a bit of pause right now about Laura is her backing up the Uncharted 4 DLC rumor which has been disputed by Shinobi and mocked by Press Sneak Fuck. Well, there is the fact that the rumor has changed since she first reported it.

Soroc

Pretty sure Laura actually said that the bg&e2 exclusivity was only confirmed from 1 source so she herself wasnt super confident in the rumor. She is very transparent with her rumors and how many sources have confirmed it. Her track record for 2 or more sources seems to be pretty damn accurate so far so ots a wait and see for a 2nd source.

I was with her on NX all the way, but this one doesn't feel right.
Haven't seen any of the usual back this up unlike the Rabbids x Mario or Pokémon Stars
Don't want to end up disappointed or whatever

MoonFrog

Yeah, tbh Ancel could've been being coy when asked if it ran on Switch so I don't put much in that last quote at all, but the game sounds a) that it is a long time coming and b) that it is pushing tech. He does focus on CPU, which is an area where I imagine Switch will outdo PS4/XBOne but that's a bit of a stretch. I guess a Nintendo money hat could explain the long time coming part but only now in development despite this generation being well on its way (when he's citing its tech as making it possible). But still, the language sounds multiplatform and big market ambitions.

The game sounds like a PS4/XBOne/(PC/Switch) release to me.

Also, just because a leaker gets a lot right and has generally good sources, doesn't mean she can't be wrong now and again.

I was with her on NX all the way, but this one doesn't feel right.
Haven't seen any of the usual back this up unlike the Rabbids x Mario or Pokémon Stars
Don't want to end up disappointed or whatever

She's been sticking with it for months. Earlier this year didn't she say it would be a 2017 title and then recently she said 2018?

I want to ask her how confident she is in it.

The game is probably at least two years away. Far to Early to think about on which platform(s) it appears. Sounds niche, so a money hat dein ine console maker would be logical anyway.

This statements from Ancel sounds more like marketing for Ubisoft, to highlight the "exceptionally" of this company he seems to love, probably aimed at a potential take over from Vivendi.

Famassu

There's no reason to make the sequel to a niche franchise whose first entry bombed a massive and expensive game.
Didn't they say to expect it within 3-4 years as well? Isn't this what happened to the original version of BG&E2 which became too ambitious for the old hardware?
Also best forget Laura Kate Dale's Switch exclusivity rumor at this point
Beyond Good & Evil wasn't that massive of a game. It was developed by a really small team and from what Ancel has said in the past, they will try to keep the team as small as possible for this sequel as well by creating tools & ways to create content efficiently

"Interplanetary travel" doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be this big open-world space game now. Star Fox 64 had "interplanetary travel."

"Interplanetary travel" is a meaningless buzz word. Don't take it so literally.

Anyways, I reeeeeeeally hope it's not exclusive to any platform, especially not Nintendo's. Nintendo fans do not buy third party games much. This IP can not afford another bomb. I like the idea of playing BG&E2 on a handheld though, so I hope it's released on it as a multiplat title.

Schnozberry

I don't think Ancel meant to drag all the baggage of Star Citizen into the conversation, he wast just using it as an example of a game that is trying to tackle some of the same problems he has with his own vision for this game.

It seems very risky and somewhat unbelievable for a franchise that is essentially being pulled out of mothballs. Perhaps Ubi is really sold on the concept, or Ancel is making the scope sound much bigger than the reality of it.

watershed

Banned
So excited for this to finally be revealed. I wonder how much truth there is to the rumors about it being exclusive to Switch. I imagine that isn't going to stay true, maybe a timed exclusive.

FelipeMGM

Yeah, tbh Ancel could've been being coy when asked if it ran on Switch so I don't put much in that last quote at all, but the game sounds a) that it is a long time coming and b) that it is pushing tech. He does focus on CPU, which is an area where I imagine Switch will outdo PS4/XBOne but that's a bit of a stretch. I guess a Nintendo money hat could explain the long time coming part but only now in development despite this generation being well on its way (when he's citing its tech as making it possible). But still, the language sounds multiplatform and big market ambitions.

The game sounds like a PS4/XBOne/(PC/Switch) release to me.

Also, just because a leaker gets a lot right and has generally good sources, doesn't mean she can't be wrong now and again.

Exactly. And, we should not write her off or call her out for getting a few things wrong too. Things change

"Interplanetary travel" doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be this big open-world space game now. Star Fox 64 had "interplanetary travel."

"Interplanetary travel" clearly means something outside the scope of Star Fox 64 if Ancel is being genuine in claiming that he didn't have the tech previously to do what he wanted.
At this point I wouldn't even be surprised if Wild is cancelled.
I would honestly. It seems like he has too much invested to cancel it. Might get slowed down even further though.

I'm not here to tell Ancel how to make his game, but the beauty of Beyond Good and Evil was its wonderful characters, taking it to the man story line and Zelda style gameplay with some smart additions.

It doesn't need to be bloated out into some space sim and I don't think that's what he plans to do. I just think he wants multiple planets to visit and it is maybe something he originally envisioned in the original, but couldn't include at the time.

To be honest all it needs is the return of Secundo, photography and the spiral text and code wheel - and I'm good.

I hope that it is multi format. The Switch is going to be an awesome console, but I'd like to play this on my Pro.

It's fine for Laura to be mistaken about exclusively here. She does a lot of wonderful work across the video gaming spectrum. Her current run of rumour drops is just a sugary treat on top of her body of work. The game is far from completion, and maybe at one point exclusivity was on the cards, but that can change very quickly in this business.

Anyways, I reeeeeeeally hope it's not exclusive to any platform, especially not Nintendo's. Nintendo fans do not buy third party games much. This IP can not afford another bomb. I like the idea of playing BG&E2 on a handheld though, so I hope it's released on it as a multiplat title.

I'm tired of this "Nintendo fans don't buy third party games" bullshit.

gafneo

Banned
If BG&E 2 is Switch exclusive, how will handle Star Citizen levels of memory? I thought Switch only had 19 gigs per card.

Aldric

l don't get it. What's the reasoning behind Ancel's words contradicting BG&E2 on the Switch? People think the Switch can't run modern games? Even if it's not an exclusive the game will end up on the system anyway. The french guy who first revealed the Mario/Rabbids crossover also said BG&E2 would be released on Switch.

keidashxd

How can a developer like Ancel end up in the middle of two giant developments without barely gameplay or a close launch date in any of them?

We know nothing about Wild and we know less about BG&E2.

I'm tired of this "Nintendo fans don't buy third party games" bullshit.

This. Or mayhaps Nintendo "fans" (rapid, annoying bunch of whiners, like the rest of the console "fans") don't.

But normal people who buy Nintendo consoles absolutely will buy 3rd party games, if given a reason. Like a actually working game, or a game that has same features than the other versions. Or games that aren't years late and the other consoles gets a trilogy when Nintendo gets a 3rd part of the trilogy, without first two games.

giapel

Why can't B&G2 be like what Majoras Mask was to OOT? More of the same but more dense and tightly designed. It's weird that Ancel wants it to be this super ambitious expansive game

gafneo

Banned
Wow if this really does end up being exclusive to switch the crow and meltdowns will be LEGENDARY!!!! (Kung-fu panda voice).
Maybe not so much as Bayonetta. BG&E is targeted at yonger audiences. The mature anime crowd won't let it go if they buy systems for Japanese stuff. I think its because we are getting mostly Western titles.

l don't get it. What's the reasoning behind Ancel's words contradicting BG&E2 on the Switch? People think the Switch can't run modern games? Even if it's not an exclusive the game will end up on the system anyway. The french guy who first revealed the Mario/Rabbids crossover also said BG&E2 would be released on Switch.
The reasoning is just that it sounds like this game is going to take so long to make that it'll end up being a game for the next gen of consoles.

I'm perfectly willing to believe that it could end up an exclusive to Nintendo. But I definitely don't buy that it'll come out in the next two years, or even in time for the Switch. This sounds like TLG and FFXV 2.0.

Top Bottom