• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Video game companies are not your friends

alemmon

Not to go to far down the rabbit hole, but what about being a fan of a sports team? The NFL, MLB and NBA are all corporations. I love Playstation and I am a fan, but being a fan doesn't not give me blind loyalty, if anything I can be just as critical. Yes, Playstation wants higher profit margins, but so do those sports teams. They want more fans to bring in more money. We live in a new age where brand loyalty is more important to corporations than ever.

What's up with this new movement online of feeling the need to call out companies for not actually caring/being your friend/etc? No shit dude, everyone knows. Also your waiter couldn't give less of a shit if you like your food and the cashier at the grocery store doesn't actually care if you have a nice day, oh the horror of these large companies playing with our hearts!

People sure as shit don't act like it.

shira

vf5Rn2G.png

laserfrog lul

galvatron

They've clearly never had Whataburger's ketchup

I was just going to say this...they sell the stuff in supermarkets here.

Also, OP, you TOTALLY see this happen in other areas. There's a guy at my job that goes on about how superior Yeti cups are to the knock offs...

Amalthea

Banned
Breaking Videogame website doesn't understand condiments and games culture are different things!

At least game companies provied us with fun, unlike Kotaku.

Breaking Videogame website doesn't understand condiments and games culture are different things!

At least game companies provied us with fun, unlike Kotaku.

But they're right, though. Game companies just want to make money. They don't care about you, and they're not your friend.

Consumer: "Why are you doing this to me???"

Game company: "For money"

Consumer: "But you should listen to the fans! Listen to me!"

Game company: "No"

Consumer: "Fine then! I wont buy your games!"

Game company: "Ok"

Van Bur3n

What's up with this new movement online of feeling the need to call out companies for not actually caring/being your friend/etc? No shit dude, everyone knows. Also your waiter couldn't give less of a shit if you like your food and the cashier at the grocery store doesn't actually care if you have a nice day, oh the horror of these large companies playing with our hearts!

Not everyone. Not even some people on GAF.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
It's a funny comparison, notwithstanding the obvious difference that ketchup is a low price, fast-moving consumable good... whilst game consoles are high value consumer electronics products with long-term platform lock-in.

Whilst I can understand why people personify these products, especially after significant financial outlay and long-term investment, it's strange you don't really see the same thing in other consumer areas, at least not to the same intense degree.

Sauce Source

Apple vs Android, sports franchises, off the top of my head.

Guys, journalists aren't your friends. It's all fake. They're trying to corrupt your teeny little minds. Trying to destroy your way of life. WAKE UP SHEEPLE. THE END DAYS ARE UPON US. WE MUST PREPARE. BE AWARE. CHEMICALS ARE IN THE WATER. THE FROGS ARE GAY. THE DAM FROGS ARE GAY.

Kyne

Okay I must be late but what is going on with Wendy's/anime personification?

Smug Wendy’s, also known as Wendy-chan, is an anime-style anthropomorphic personification of the @Wendys Twitter feed, which gained much online notoriety for its funny and sarcastic responses to customer complaints and questions. The character is based on the restaurant’s mascot Wendy Thomas.

5ee.png

wendyz.JPG

Apple vs Android, off the top of my head.

Apple vs Android isn't even a fraction as bad as the console wars. Yes, Apple fanboys can be quite outrageous and shill-like, but you don't see death threats, personal harrassment, and life-long dedication for the success of Apple at the detriment of Android the way you do for console fanboys (and so much more).

Amalthea

Banned
But they're right, though. Game companies just want to make money. They don't care about you, and they're not your friend.
I'm not friends with my landlord either and I still pay more rent per month than I'd ever pay for MS, Sony and Nintendo combined in the same time.

WaterAstro

I like to support companies who make good games and have integrity, not blindly support them when they treat their playerbase poorly.

I'm not friends with my landlord either and I still pay more rent per month than I'd ever pay for MS, Sony and Nintendo combined in the same time.

I'm genuinely confused by this comment. You have to pay rent or mortgage. You don't have to buy video games.

bomblord1

Banned
I've been trying to figure this out too. It's been extremely hard to reverse-engineer the source or the meme. Is it just because their corporate twitter is fast and loose?

Corporate Twitter has been making a lot of sarcastic jokes at the expense of other companies (ex someone tweeted what should I get a mcdonalds they responded a ride to Wendy's)

This went viral because it was funny and it was in the right place right time as certain websites and meme aggregators picked it up (The required combination for any meme).

Somewhere down the line seeing that Wendy's logo is of a female and some existing anime connections to fast food persona's someone interpreted Wendy's as being a smug anime girl (fits in perfectly with existing anime archetypes) and started drawing faces that accompanied many their tweet remarks.

This eventually became viral because of the connection to their previous virality and here we are.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Obvious thing is obvious, they there to sell shit, not to be ushers at your daughters' weddings

Obvious thing is obvious, they there to sell shit, not to be ushers at your daughters' weddings

I wish it were obvious, that way we could not have pages filled with 'oh man, [insert gaming website or youtuber here] is just singling out [insert brand in need of vigorous defense here] for clicks/views/ad revenue, why are we even talking about this instead of [insert other brand here], I mean every brand in [insert economic sector inhabited by said brands] does it? Slow news day I guess, lol[insert source of news here]!' every time any hint of offense is felt at the expense of any major corporation.

zabuni

This isn't helped by the fact that, in a world mediated by social medium, performative intimacy drives clicks and dollars. Giving you the illusion of friendship, of belonging drives money, from giant multi-national corporations to some dude's Patreon. Leigh Alexander had a piece about this a while back:

The New Intimacy Economy

In general, people seem more likely to pay for content when it’s “voiced”. In the era of YouTube stars, we expect to see faces. We want eye contact. Supermodels are born on Instagram, their reach and brand equity driven by passionate followers who “like” everything Cara Delevigne posts that she is doing. Examples of intimacy’s high valuation are everywhere, from Taylor Swift’s constant passel of best-best friends to Kim Kardashian pretending her daughter North “accidentally” posted a bikini selfie of Mom. She’s just like us! Anyone you admire starts to feel available to you via social media, and the more they cultivate that impression of a relationship, the better you, as a consumer, will perform.

Also:

I doubt you would try and justify them to other people when they raised your rent.

People hating the article because it struck a nerve.

You expect us to just sit by while Kotaku talks smack about our friends???

(I actually think this thread is more "no kidding" than anything else. I think the biggest issue with the article is that video games are a form of media, and people historically become very involved and attached to media, because media is a major contribution to culture. Is it weird that people call themselves Trekkies and Whovians? Absolutely. But it's definitely not unheard of.

There is obviously a conversation to be had about consumer culture shaping people's identities, but this has been happening with various commercial media productions for a long, long, long time. The most obvious examples are sports teams.

I don't personally identify as a "gamer" and know this article isn't about me, but there are obviously lots of people who consider it an inseparable part of who they are and what they love and this is more a folly of self-expression than a cultural corruption brought on by consumerist brainwashing.

At least, that's what I hope. You never know with late-stage capitalism. Maybe I'm part of the problem for playing devil's advocate for... brands. Damn. What have I become?)

This eventually became viral because of the connection to their previous virality and here we are.

Thank you for this explanation.

danowat

Banned

Should be obvious, but a large percentage of posts from people foaming at the mouth over the latest this vs that tells otherwise.

Tribalism is a strange concept, but certainly not limited to games.

Jawmuncher

You don't have to tell me twice. Sakurai cutting snake from smash and capcom making Dino Crisis 3 confirms they're just bullies

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Companies want you to think of them as friends. They are making big pushes to gain that kind of mind share in the public eye.
Exactly.

Anyone using mental gymnastics to justify why they like their favourite companies simply haven't seen any business seminar for the last decade.

"Customer relationship", is the buzz-phrase and making customers feel special is easily the best marketing you can do right now. Away from gaming look at the DisneyWorld Magic Bands. They're basically marketing tools but because it links seamlessly into the systems at the parks, it makes visiting feel more personal and special for the visitor.

The result? Customers with them spend on average 30% more than people without them. You make customers your friends and they repay you.

Yes, it's a bit cold but when companies, be it gaming companies or whatever try to make you feel good about them or indeed yourself remember they're only after your wallet, one way or the other. The image of money grabbing evil companies is not entirely without merit but it's the nice money grabbing companies you must be wary of.

Whilst I can understand why people personify these products, especially after significant financial outlay and long-term investment, it's strange you don't really see the same thing in other consumer areas, at least not to the same intense degree.

Sauce Source

Man... do you not remember the Cola Wars?
People were straight up getting shived over that stuff.

Top Bottom