• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

For anyone wanting to know about color temperature and sharpness this is a good read in simple terms http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/how-to-calibrate-your-hdtv_Page-6 read from page 6-8.

The sharpness section is helpful for anyone reverting to "0" as a neutral point.

Your link doesn't work on my phone. Just takes me to the home page. Regardless, from my own testing it's very clear that any setting above 0 on my KS8000 is adding artificial edge enhancement that is not present in the source. It's clearly visible at close range if you look at a dark object against a light background. It may enhance perceived detail from a normal seating distance and I'm not saying it's a bad thing or shouldn't be used, but on this set zero means no added enhancement.

Flandy

No idea how this happened but I apparently got some scratches on my TV :\
30617022653_401acc5212_c.jpg

Anyone know any magic to remove them or at least minimize them?
I don't actually notice them unless I'm up close and the screen is dark so thats a plus

No idea how this happened but I apparently got some scratches on my TV :

I don't actually notice them unless I'm up close and the screen is dark so thats a plus

Whoa, wtf. No way you don't know how that came about.

R-User!

For anyone wanting to know about color temperature and sharpness this is a good read in simple terms http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/how-to-calibrate-your-hdtv_Page-6 read from page 6-8.

The sharpness section is helpful for anyone reverting to "0" as a neutral point.

That site is a bitch on mobile.

Even taking the link to google and trying to find that article through simple search strings, warrants access to seemingly anything BUT that content.

I'd like to read it.

Perhaps some copy pasta?

Heel

I really need to revisit the sharpness calibration with Disney WOW.

Probably like many people here, I pretty much glossed over it and assumed zero = no sharpening, without considering that I could be going "below zero" and just blurring.

I have a feeling the proper setting is actually above a zero setting for this TV.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I don't have a calibration disc. Anybody know of any pics or movies that include a calibration screen that I could use for color calibration? I can't get these reds/yellows fixed for anything. Pittsburgh Steelers looked like they were wearing bright yellow today, and all the reds look too orange.

Arc07

I have a Yamaha receiver bought last year, but I do not seem to have the 4k setting mentioned there. It supports 4k but not HDR it seems.
:(

I had to get a new receiver this year to replace the one I got in 2014 because of this HDR nonsense.

KyleCross

:(

I had to get a new receiver this year to replace the one I got in 2014 because of this HDR nonsense.

It REALLY sucks cause I literally bought it as my "future-proof" receiver. It had 4K and HDCP 2.2 prominently advertised, I sure didn't expect it to not support HDR passthrough. I gotta use HDMI ARC and settle for Dolby Digital 5.1 now. Honestly, that's fine, I doubt I'd notice a difference between DD 5.1 and LPCM 5.1, but it's knowing that it isn't "the best" that gets to you.

Arc07

It REALLY sucks cause I literally bought it as my "future-proof" receiver. It had 4K and HDCP 2.2 prominently advertised, I sure didn't expect it to not support HDR passthrough. I gotta use HDMI ARC and settle for Dolby Digital 5.1 now. Honestly, that's fine, I doubt I'd notice a difference between DD 5.1 and LPCM 5.1, but it's knowing that it isn't "the best" that gets to you.

Just out of curiosity, what's the model number?

Namikaze

Hey everyone, I have my KS8000 hooked up to my PC and games look great at 4K+ but every single game has screen tearing. How do I fix this? I have a 980ti.

Rongolian

Banned
Hey everyone, I have my KS8000 hooked up to my PC and games look great at 4K+ but every single game has screen tearing. How do I fix this? I have a 980ti.

I fixed this by making sure my V-sync settings are correct, run an FPS counter and make sure it's not running higher/lower than 60Hz

Namikaze

I fixed this by making sure my V-sync settings are correct, run an FPS counter and make sure it's not running higher/lower than 60Hz

It's definitely running things higher than 60 from what I can tell. I did a benchmark test on dmc4 and it was hitting 100fps at 4K most of the time...I tried using the nvidia control panel to force "fast" vsync and even used in game options to force 60fps but nothing has worked so far.

Aske

No idea how this happened but I apparently got some scratches on my TV :

That's ghosts. Pour a ring of salt around the TV, then turn the backlight, dynamic contrast, and sharpness up to max. The spike of visual energy will sever the tenuous threads binding the ghosts to those who live in your home, and they'll lose their connection to our reality. You should know that this will condemn them to wander subspace in confusion, and if they return they'll be more confused and angry than ever. The only way to allow them to transition to the ghost dimension in peace is complicated and dangerous, and it will likely cause more damage to the TV. I don't recommend it, but it would be unethical of me not to be straight with you.

Fixing the damage is a roll of the dice. Smudge the TV with a stick of white sage. Now, rub salt vigorously into the scratches. If they're caused by ectoplasm, they'll disappear (you'll have to rub very hard; keep burning the sage). If not, you will cause great physical harm to your TV; and although on a spiritual level it will gain a significant measure of power from this procedure, and will bless you and your progeny with auspicious days for generations, you can't connect an HDMI cable to an auspicious day. You'll likely have to buy a new TV.

Sorry I don't have better news.

That's ghosts. Pour a ring of salt around the TV, then turn the backlight, dynamic contrast, and sharpness up to max. The spike of visual energy will sever the tenuous threads binding the ghosts to those who live in your home, and they'll lose their connection to our reality. You should know that this will condemn them to wander subspace in confusion, and if they return they'll be more confused and angry than ever. The only way to allow them to transition to the ghost dimension in peace is complicated and dangerous, and it will likely cause more damage to the TV. I don't recommend it, but it would be unethical of me not to be straight with you.

Fixing the damage is a roll of the dice. Smudge the TV with a stick of white sage. Now, rub salt vigorously into the scratches. If they're caused by ectoplasm, they'll disappear (you'll have to rub very hard; keep burning the sage). If not, you will cause great physical harm to your TV; and although on a spiritual level it will gain a significant measure of power from this procedure, and will bless you and your progeny with auspicious days for generations, you can't connect an HDMI cable to an auspicious day. You'll likely have to buy a new TV.

d3e0a1221de8cca4601b8885af1b6f39.jpg

I did a similar thing in 2014, bought a Yamaha receiver with "4K pass through".

Turns out it doesn't even have HDMI 2.0, so just like you i've had to settle with using ARC and just getting DD5.1, only have my blu-ray player running through the receiver now.

I use my headset most of the time for gaming so isn't too much of a problem, only for UHD blu-rays through my One S does it bother me because I can't get the full HD Master audio.

Only just bought my KS7000 so will be a while before I can persuade the wife I need to upgrade the receiver as well.

Simbo

Neo Member
Wondering if any of you folks in the US are experiencing any micro-stutter on this TV when watching fast moving action like sports?

There's an owners thread on a UK forum where a lot of people are complaining about this. I was wondering if it had anything to do with PAL 50hz broadcasts we get here in the UK vs NTSC 60hz in the US.

Did some more testing regarding AUTO vs NATIVE color space during SDR content:

While testing games like Battlefield 1, Driveclub, Uncharted 4, Titanfall 2, Ratchet and Clank(the former 2 in their SDR setting) I found that Native greatly exaggerates colors and you end up having an extremely neonish looking picture, especially in the "red" department.

If you have Driveclub, try the following: enter a custom time trial, sunny, time of day 14:00 and use a red Ferrari. You'll see how saturated, neon-like, unnatural the car will look using the Native setting. Now switch to Auto and you'll see what I'm talking about. Everything will become more natural.

While I do agree that in certain gaming scenes Native can look good, overall this setting is just exaggerating everything and you get extremely crushed and neon looking colors. Feel free to experiment during movies also: the flesh of the actors will have this red tint to it which is nothing but natural.

I think I read a review somewhere stating that Native is just recommended for cartoon movies. Anything else, it just looks bad. And remember we're talking about SDR content regarding this.

Anyone else having different opinions on this, feel free to prove me wrong.

Now regarding HDR content: what is the recommended setting here? Native or still Auto? I found the difference between the 2 minimal and don't know which one is best.

Did some more testing regarding AUTO vs NATIVE color space during SDR content:

While testing games like Battlefield 1, Driveclub, Uncharted 4, Titanfall 2, Ratchet and Clank(the former 2 in their SDR setting) I found that Native greatly exaggerates colors and you end up having an extremely neonish looking picture, especially in the "red" department.

If you have Driveclub, try the following: enter a custom time trial, sunny, time of day 14:00 and use a red Ferrari. You'll see how saturated, neon-like, unnatural the car will look using the Native setting. Now switch to Auto and you'll see what I'm talking about. Everything will become more natural.

While I do agree that in certain gaming scenes Native can look good, overall this setting is just exaggerating everything and you get extremely crushed and neon looking colors. Feel free to experiment during movies also: the flesh of the actors will have this red tint to it which is nothing but natural.

I think I read a review somewhere stating that Native is just recommended for cartoon movies. Anything else, it just looks bad. And remember we're talking about SDR content regarding this.

Anyone else having different opinions on this, feel free to prove me wrong.

Now regarding HDR content: what is the recommended setting here? Native or still Auto? I found the difference between the 2 minimal and don't know which one is best.

Thanks for this, I was experimenting with this yesterday in different games and I ended up leaving it on auto because like you say everything became too saturated.

I think in the Digital Foundry video where they discuss the best settings they recommend leaving it on Auto as the TV does a good job at tracking the colours correctly.

I'm glad tbh as it's one less setting to change when switching between SDR and HDR games.

VicViper

I did a similar thing in 2014, bought a Yamaha receiver with "4K pass through".

Turns out it doesn't even have HDMI 2.0, so just like you i've had to settle with using ARC and just getting DD5.1, only have my blu-ray player running through the receiver now.

Owner of a 2015 Sony STR-DN860 (HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, 4K pass-through AND upscaling!) with no HDR. Bummer.

http://community.sony.com/t5/Home-T...pass-through-via-HDMI-2-0a-update/td-p/600430

These are their current top models and theoretically, a firmware update should be able to bump them to HDMI 2.0a (HDR) specs, but apparently Sony aren't interested in keeping the classic HDMI A/V receiver a viable piece of equipment in the 4K UHD age.

noomi

Sharpness is set to 20 on my set. Looks good compared to 0.

Dispite what everyone has said, I have kept Sharpness on 20 on my set since the very start, only for movies/tv though. Any gaming I do, I have Sharpess set to 0 since I really don't think gaming benefits from an increased Sharpness.

I envy those "normal" folks out there which have no idea what the fuck we're talking about here.... I must leave this thread. FOR SANITY!!!

Haha!

We had a multi-page discussion about Full vs Normal, different settings, pro & cons..etc a week or two ago in this very thread. It's funny to see these discussions keep popping up constantly.

I was a firm believer that Normal/Full was the best setting, and I wasn't completely wrong. As long as your TV setting matches your PS4 setting you are fine... for the most part.

Here is what the conclusion of our discussion was a few weeks ago. Normal/Full or Limited/Low provide no benefit over one another for gaming. You would think because of the terminology that Limited is worse, but that's really not the case. So, as long as these settings match TV = PS4, you are pretty much golden. When it comes to watching movies, netflix or amazon you would normally want Low/Limited since all media is in the Low/Limited Range.

That being said, I had forced both my TV to Full/Normal for a while, but ever since I started watching netflix on my PS4 I had switched both my TV & PS4 to Auto (it normally defaults to Low/Limited in Auto Mode)

Bottom line is this, if you want to keep your sanity, just switch your HDMI Black Level to Auto and Switch your PS4 to Automatic RGB Range. It works, I promise... you are not losing out on any quality this way.

murgo

thats-good.gif

noomi

Just curious about what some of you said about the Sharpness setting.... I've had sharpness set to 20 across all my my sources since the start, however in game mode/when playing ps4pro I keep it at 0 since I don't really notice any different.

Do you use Sharpness in games, or just strictly in media such as blu-rays, tv, or netflix?

I might need to revisit the sharpness setting for game-mode.

Just curious about what some of you said about the Sharpness setting.... I've had sharpness set to 20 across all my my sources since the start, however in game mode/when playing ps4pro I keep it at 0 since I don't really notice any different.

Do you use Sharpness in games, or just strictly in media such as blu-rays, tv, or netflix?

neither. 0 for everything. Introduces artifacting. I posted a video about this earlier in the thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhI5A2uf2Pw

This is the first TV I have ever used sharpness on. Every other TV I have owned, all the recommended settings say sharpness 0 and I agree. All sharpness seems to do is make halos around images. Even though the rtings settings say sharpness zero for KS8000, I noticed a huge difference in image clarity by giving it some sharpness, especially on PC input. It was like I cleaned grease off my screen. I have never seen sharpness actually sharpen an image like that. I have I think 20 on PC input and maybe like 14 on PS4 Pro input. Just play around what looks good to you, but imo I think some sharpness can make a significant improvement in image quality.

neither. 0 for everything. Introduces artifacting. I posted a video about this earlier in the thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhI5A2uf2Pw
Yeah I get that at higher numbers of sharpness, but anything 20 or below adds clarity without artifacts. I also sit like 3 feet from my 49" TV so I would def notice them. Maybe it differs panel to panel but images are undeniably blurry without a little sharpness added for me.

laxu

Kept 0 for PS4 and 20 for my Sky HD Box. The UI on Sky was very soft and blurry. The added sharpness helped a lot.

That is fine as it can help lower quality sources. For anything else sharpening can add artifacts as well as input lag since it's an extra processing step.

Now a good question is why the hell are the sharpening filters on TVs such poor quality that they cause ringing very quickly?

Aske

Find a good test image to work with, and calibrate the sharpness correctly for your TV. The great thing about sharpness is that once you nail it down, it's not source dependent: it's just correct or incorrect for all content across the board. After doing this myself, I now keep it at 20 for everything. I see distinct and obvious ringing around lines at 22, but anything below 20 results in equality distinct and obvious blurring of the image. Per my testing, and clearly that of others too, the correct setting for an unsharpened/unsoftened picture is definitely not 0.

I think what we might be seeing here is the reason the TV allows users to artificially soften the image. Could it be that your Watchdogs example is actually displaying some slight aliasing which becomes visible at what is actually the correct sharpness level?

Per the calibration video posted a little earlier in the thread, the correct way to set sharpness is to use a test image with lots of straight lines, and lower it until any ringing disappears. Setting sharpness below that artificially softens the image, the equivalent of switching on the Vaseline filter in certain retro games. Have you tried testing sharpness with a test image?

noomi

Pardon my ignorance but I don't really understand what I'm looking at here, I see the edge of Marcus's face has a red line next to it. Are you saying this effect is produced by having your sharpness turned on?

I keep games at 0, but for movies and other sources I bump it up a bit since the image is very soft without it.

Will try when I get home and see what I come up with.

This is the first TV I have ever used sharpness on. Every other TV I have owned, all the recommended settings say sharpness 0 and I agree. All sharpness seems to do is make halos around images. Even though the rtings settings say sharpness zero for KS8000, I noticed a huge difference in image clarity by giving it some sharpness, especially on PC input. It was like I cleaned grease off my screen. I have never seen sharpness actually sharpen an image like that. I have I think 20 on PC input and maybe like 14 on PS4 Pro input. Just play around what looks good to you, but imo I think some sharpness can make a significant improvement in image quality.

Yeah I get that at higher numbers of sharpness, but anything 20 or below adds clarity without artifacts. I also sit like 3 feet from my 49" TV so I would def notice them. Maybe it differs panel to panel but images are undeniably blurry without a little sharpness added for me.

Find a good test image to work with, and calibrate the sharpness correctly for your TV. The great thing about sharpness is that once you nail it down, it's not source dependent: it's just correct or incorrect for all content across the board. After doing this myself, I now keep it at 20 for everything. I see distinct and obvious ringing around lines at 22, but anything below 20 results in equality distinct and obvious blurring of the image. Per my testing, and clearly that of others too, the correct setting for an unsharpened/unsoftened picture is definitely not 0.

Will have to look for myself, as I mentioned I have sharpness set to 0 when playing games, however I never really bumped it up from that so I'm not sure what it'll do exactly. Will have to try it out when I get home today.

Find a good test image to work with, and calibrate the sharpness correctly for your TV. After doing this myself, I now keep it at 20 for everything. I see distinct and obvious ringing around lines at 22, but anything below 20 results in equality distinct and obvious blurring of the image.

There must be some variance in the sets then. I have a 55" KS8000 (AA02 panel, Firmware 1152) and when I use the sharpness test patterns from the Disney WoW disc I get edging/ringing artifacts around the lines and other elements at any setting above 0. Yes, at 20 the image looks sharper, and it's possible there is some kind of blurring going on at lower settings, but on my set those artifacts definitely start appearing as soon as you leave zero. Granted, I am about 8 inches away from screen when I'm making these adjustments, so if you're seated further away you may not notice it. Other settings may come into play as well. If you've got contrast maxed out you may not see the artifacts because it's white on white and whites are being crushed after 96 or so.

noomi

phil0sophy,

what about native 4k material, does increasing sharpening still apply? I've looked at my TV up close when a 4K picture is coming through and I can't imagine it being any more sharp than that :p

Aske

There must be some variance in the sets then. I have a 55" KS8000 (AA02 panel, Firmware 1152) and when I use the sharpness test patterns from the Disney WoW disc I get edging/ringing artifacts around the lines and other elements at any setting above 0. Yes, at 20 the image looks sharper, and it's possible there is some kind of blurring going on at lower settings, but on my set those artifacts definitely start appearing as soon as you leave zero. Granted, I am about 8 inches away from screen when I'm making these adjustments, so if you're seated further away you may not notice it. Other settings may come into play as well. If you've got contrast maxed out you may not see the artifacts because it's white on white and whites are being crushed after 96 or so.

I don't know what to tell you - I got right next to the screen when I did the test, and the image was grey with black lines rather than white. Contrast was set to 100, but that's because according to the Xbone calibration screen I don't get crushed whites with it maxed out. I know. I don't understand either. I had it set to 90 based on other people's settings and my intuition that suggested maxing anything is usually a bad idea, but when I checked for myself, 100 was fine.

I'm no TV scientist, so I'm prepared to be wrong. I'm just going by the calibration screens and what I'm seeing, and that's the correct invisible/faint/clear images for brightness and contrast with brightness at 45 and contrast at 100; and the correct unsoftened/unringed sharpness setting at 20.

Finally got a shipment confirmation from Samsung yesterday, which says expected delivery between 2-3 business days. I know plenty of GAFers have had troubles with AGS delivery, so what tips can you guys give to help make sure I get my set as quickly as possible?

MazeHaze

Banned

On PC mode, 50 sharpness is the same as 0 on all other viewing modes. Anything less and you are doing yourself a disservice.

noomi

Apparently 1154.0 firmware is available in the US :D

Someone please check to see if game mode hdr is fixed.

As a friendly reminder, make sure to check your settings after you update as it has been known to randomly undo or turn on settings after updates.

Patch Notes:
Version 1154.0
Improved usability
1. Improved browser performance
2. Improved app performance
3. Improved stability
4. Improved usability of input devices

murgo

I'm getting reports from people with 8090 / 9590 TVs getting the 1154 update in Germany. What the fuck is Samsung doing? Why are they leaving 7090 owners in the dark?

Horohoro

Wondering if any of you folks in the US are experiencing any micro-stutter on this TV when watching fast moving action like sports?

There's an owners thread on a UK forum where a lot of people are complaining about this. I was wondering if it had anything to do with PAL 50hz broadcasts we get here in the UK vs NTSC 60hz in the US.

Turn off the motion rate setting.

Just pulled the trigger on the 65 inch, will be here Friday! Is there like a cheat sheet of things to do with the settings on this thing? Lots of info here! Sure Ill be trying to review this entire thread come Friday! Hope its a solid TV!

As a friendly reminder, make sure to check your settings after you update as it has been known to randomly undo or turn on settings after updates.

Patch Notes:

Does the TV automatically update or does it prompt you, I forget.
How do I check what firmaware is installed in my TV?

Aske

Does the TV automatically update or does it prompt you, I forget.
How do I check what firmaware is installed in my TV?

If you've not set it to Auto, I assume it will prompt you. Check by going into Settings, then Systems.

Just pulled the trigger on the 65 inch, will be here Friday! Is there like a cheat sheet of things to do with the settings on this thing? Lots of info here! Sure Ill be trying to review this entire thread come Friday! Hope its a solid TV!

You will love it. Congrats! The settings in the OP are a great place to start.

Heel

As for the sharpness talk, I used the sharpness calibration slide on Disney WOW last night on PS4 Pro.

I ended up settling on 15 sharpness. I don't think even 20 sharpness was adding anything, but I was being very conservative. It really took getting up to the 30s before I recognized any kind of artifacting on their line pattern.

Not saying to use this, but this is what it looks like on the disc:

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I have that setting off. One of the first things I did! I've tried with it on too and I get micro-stutter regardless.

I use "Sports Mode" and it eliminates it all for me.

Heel

Patch Notes:

Who wants to be our guinea pig? :)

I hope it fixes the HDR game backlight and the YouTube app from signing out.

Top Bottom