• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Kalentan

Wait.... it's impossible to take a in-game screen capture of HDR. Unless the game somehow actually changes the color pallet and saturates colors even further to give that effect... Not sure.

I mean you can take screenshots with HDR on but it won't be represenatative of how it really looks when you're playing it. Often HDR screenshots will come out as though they're over saturated.

I didn't find any HDR notice anywhere in the game nor on the tv... wtf?

Talking about the TV though... GODDAMN.

Image quality is insane. Contrast, colors and black uniformity is absolutely top notch.

Maybe try putting the TV in movie mode just to test and see if you get that notification when you launch the game. It could be something to do with Game mode and the bugged settings auto adjust.

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member
Currently playing Final Fantasy XV with this TV on my PS4 Pro with HDR on and resolution set to high. I am running into an issue where Noctis' character model becomes grey colored with Red cloudy outline around the model. This happens usually when the character is in motion.
This last only for a few seconds; hence it is hard for me to capture on my phone.

Sorry to bring up this old post. Trying to find out if its an issue with my TV or its just a game glitch. My KS8000 setting is the same as OP. I still have a month and a half to exchange my TV if needed. I appreciate any advice provided. Thanks.

Sorry to bring up this old post. Trying to find out if its an issue with my TV or its just a game glitch. My KS8000 setting is the same as OP. I still have a month and a half to exchange my TV if needed. I appreciate any advice provided. Thanks.

Ill try this tonight and see if I notice anything but Ive been playing FFXV on the 65" KS8000 with HDR and resolution on lite and dont recall noticing anything as described. Can you post what settings and picture mode you are using for me to test with?

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member
Ill try this tonight and see if I notice anything but Ive been playing FFXV on the 65" KS8000 with HDR and resolution on lite and dont recall noticing anything as described. Can you post what settings and picture mode you are using for me to test with?

All my settings are the same as OP except the following:

Game Mode
Smart LED: High
Color Tone: Warm 1
Dynamic Contrast: Low

I am playing on resolution High when this issue happened.

Edit: Forgot to mentioned it happened to a short wooden bridge. It looks as if the bridge was split into 3. An additional one on top and one below. The color for each one is different. This one only lasted for a second. I appreciate the help.

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member
Okay thanks, Ill try and remember to give it a try when I start playing later tonight.

Thanks for the help. Currently I am suspecting that it's just a glitch from the game. It only happens for this game. Planning to play Ratchet and Clank in HDR after I finished FFXV to make sure. I know one other person is having the same issue as me.

R-User!

For anyone hat has a PS3 hooked up to their KS8000, would it be correct that I should NOT run the RGB Full Range (HDMI) setting in "Full" while running the TV in "Auto" for the same setting because it will be crushing the blacks?

I had my PS3 in Full for years now, and adjusting it to limited made it look washed out a tad, but using a wallpaper from a screenshot from a game where there was a dark wooden beam under a roof revealed that with Full on it was too black with no detail on the texture, but with limited I could see the the wood texture.

It looks like in need to just get used to limited for PS3 and tweak my settings on a per content basis going forward until I can find the right general use settings...

Any scenario where I would want Full out of my PS3?

bill0527

I returned it this morning to Sam's Club and they have no more in stock, said it was a deleted item and would not be getting in more back in. I got a full refund but now what? Amazon.com has been sold out of the 55" for almost 2 months and it appears at least the 55" is getting to be in short supply. They did tell me that Sam's Club 45 minutes away has 5 of these in stock. I'm debating whether to make the drive or just wait and see what comes with the 2017 models.

Fuckin hell I drove the 45 minutes to the other Sam's Club store and took my receipt and return receipt this morning from when I returned it this morning to my local store. The Sam's Club 45 minutes away would not honor the price I paid for it back on November 19th. They said I bought it at a special Samsung 1-day event and now the price on it is back up $250 more than I paid for it and they won't honor it. What kind of fucking bullshit retail shenanigans is this? Looks like I'm out of the KS8000 club. I can't stomach paying $250 more for something I just purchased 2 weeks ago.

ss_lemonade

Ordered on Nov 15th and it was delivered on the 29th. Of course it sat in a warehouse 2 hours away for about 1 week.

Also ordered a KS9000, I ordered mine Monday night Nov 21st (I didn't skimp out on shipping and paid extra for 2 day expedited) and got my set via FedEx on Nov 25th. My Black Friday was awesome, no lines no dealing with folks.

Apparently no one knows why mine still hasn't left CA until now :(. I called the local Seattle area office 3x now:

- Last week Friday: rep told me that the bluray player arrived probably last Wednesday, but the TV hasn't (I ordered both a ks9000 and k8500 player).
- Last Monday: talked to a different rep and he told me that they located the TV over the weekend and found it still in LA. Sent an email to their office there to make sure it gets sent and told me call back Wednesday/today to do a follow up
- Today: talked to a 3rd, different rep. Says that the TV still hasn't left LA. I could call Samsung but they would most likely just tell me to contact AGS. Unfortunately all they/I could do is wait for it to arrive, whenever that may be

Am I just being impatient? This is the first time I've ordered a TV online so I don't know if it's the size of the item that makes delivering them take longer, but everything supposedly shipped last Nov 25. Or is this the unfortunate side effect of free shipping..

Screen uniformity on my 65":

20161207_220842.jpg

I'd say it's very good, didn't notice any bleeding during games and movies. Thoughts?

DieH@rd

Banned
My friend is wondering does KS8000 model [in his case, EU KS7000] supports audio pass-through via Optical Out that is present on the TV?

PS4 Pro > HDMI cable > KS8000 > optical out port > his audio gear

Clockwork

My friend is wondering does KS8000 model [in his case, EU KS7000] supports audio pass-through via Optical Out that is present on the TV?

PS4 Pro > HDMI cable > KS8000 > optical out port > his audio gear

Yes.

Only PCM 2.0 or Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1 though.

Until I decide to spend some bucks this is how I do it. I have my PS4 Pro, Xbox One S, PC, and cable box all connected via HDMI then bitstream via optical to my Vizio 5.1 sound bar (has left/center/right and wireless sub with left/right rear surrounds).

Looks great, you got a good one, looking forward to getting mine, they don't get stock until the 15th though :-/, hopefully my first set is good and doesn't need returning like every other TV I have had lol.

Tell me about it, getting a new TV is nothing short of a nightmare. Returned the first set also, as I did with most of my TVs for the past 10 years lol. Keeping my fingers crossed for you, best of luck.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
My pics (sorry, my camera sucks ass). The last two pics are much brighter than they were on the tv, couldn't get it to look better :|

WD3xRVX.jpg

G598bgF.jpg

2udTw3S.jpg

piSQzej.jpg

TkBWHtQ.jpg

Rbk_3

Tell me about it, getting a new TV is nothing short of a nightmare. Returned the first set also, as I did with most of my TVs for the past 10 years lol. Keeping my fingers crossed for you, best of luck.

At least you didn't return 5. The nightmare could be much worse.

v0mitg0d

Hi folks!

I downloaded the latest firmware, unzipped the 1.2GB file to a FAT32 USB thumb drive, plug it into the One Connect USB port and can't figure out how to get it to see the firmware.

I go to System> Update and it just searches online. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

tootie923

Hi folks!

I downloaded the latest firmware, unzipped the 1.2GB file to a FAT32 USB thumb drive, plug it into the One Connect USB port and can't figure out how to get it to see the firmware.

I go to System> Update and it just searches online. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I plugged my USB drive into the port on the back of the panel, not the One Connect and it worked. I put the unzipped folder at the root directory of the USB.

All my settings are the same as OP except the following:

Game Mode
Smart LED: High
Color Tone: Warm 1
Dynamic Contrast: Low

I am playing on resolution High when this issue happened.

Edit: Forgot to mentioned it happened to a short wooden bridge. It looks as if the bridge was split into 3. An additional one on top and one below. The color for each one is different. This one only lasted for a second. I appreciate the help.

I tried playing with the settings you listed and didn't notice anything weird on noctis while In motion. Does it happen frequently

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member
I tried playing with the settings you listed and didn't notice anything weird on noctis while In motion. Does it happen frequently

No it happens quite rarely. Of my 5 hours of continuous gameplay it only happens once or twice. It's very random. One time it happened, my game crashed not long after.

Orayn

Yeah I wound up dropping smart LED from my HDMI 1/game mode last night when I noticed how badly it messed up the picture with white Crunchyroll subs. I think I'll keep it for the Netflix app, but I'm inclined to turn it off everywhere else.

ElfArmy177

FF15 also lets you toggle and the difference is rather stark.

I don't beleive this. When I turn hdr on and off in ff, it makes absolutely no difference to me. However, gears 4 has a slider down the middle and I notice a difference. So.. I dunno. When hdr is off in ff, it still says it's an hdr video on the TV...

Simbo

Neo Member
For those in Europe the corrupt 1154 file has been replaced on the Samsung websites and is working now.

Go get your HDR YouTube!!!!!!

Simbo

Neo Member
I think Noomi linked an HDR playlist somewhere in this thread.

There's also a playlist created by YouTube themselves that contains a few genuine HDR videos. That should come up with a simple search for 'HDR'.

So I installed 1154 and watched a few videos from The HDR Channel on youtube and I say dayum!!!! Holy smokes this TV man..... Some of those demos are downright breathtaking.

Also I can confirm that the TV automatically goes to 20 backlight and High Smart LED when it detects HDR on youtube.

Didn't get the chance to try game mode on PS4 PRO yet though, any changes in that department?

noomi

So I installed 1154 and watched a few videos from The HDR Channel on youtube and I say dayum!!!! Holy smokes this TV man..... Some of those demos are downright breathtaking.

Also I can confirm that the TV automatically goes to 20 backlight and High Smart LED when it detects HDR on youtube.

Didn't get the chance to try game mode on PS4 PRO yet though, any changes in that department?

Yup! Youtube in HDR is probably the best picture quality I've seen other than UHD-HDR blu-rays. It's very impressive.

Yup! Youtube in HDR is probably the best picture quality I've seen other than UHD-HDR blu-rays. It's very impressive.
It's not YouTube. It's the content. Most of those videos are manufacturer demos (which I've downloaded already in the original encoding so it's higher quality, well before they were on YouTube). But these videos are being made specifically to show off HDR capabilities. The games (and even movies /tv shows) aren't there yet as the creators are still brand new to hdr and are doing a quick conversion to hdr.

I haven't seen grand tour in hdr yet because it's tricky to get HDR on Amazon video in Canada. But based on what I've heard and the way it looks in SDR (vibrant but seems to be a lot of clipping of bright details ) it seems like it's one of the first shows out there that is being shot to show off HDR.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Oh man I'm soooo happy with my new set, it's brilliant. My old Plasma was very dim... this tv on the other hand has such bright and vivid images... wow. Should've gotten it earlier... :D

I don't beleive this. When I turn hdr on and off in ff, it makes absolutely no difference to me. However, gears 4 has a slider down the middle and I notice a difference. So.. I dunno. When hdr is off in ff, it still says it's an hdr video on the TV...

The difference in FFXV is absolutely huge. Truly night and day. I'd you aren't seeing a difference, there's a problem.

Mindman

In FFVX, go into a cave and look outside to the entrance with HDR both on and off. You will see some difference there.

ElfArmy177

The difference in FFXV is absolutely huge. Truly night and day. I'd you aren't seeing a difference, there's a problem.

I don't understand what the problem could be? Maybe it's not shutting it off correctly? Is there a way to disable it from the actual TV instead it the game?

I'm genuinely curious as I see no difference when I have it on or off from the ff menu. All other games have a difference it "seems". Especially gears of war because I can actually split the screen from hdr to sdr.

De_Marco

I am devastated as I am writing this and still can´t believe it, feels like a nightmare.

Got my KS 9000 here in Germany for 2000€ with a Samsung S7 Edge mobile phone for free and had half a day of greatness, 4k was really a sight to behold and I here I thought my Sony W905 had a great picture. But this was just awesome.

During calibration my dog went past the TV, touched it slightly and I turned the TV off, let it cool down a bit and cleaned it with a dry microfiber cleaning cloth.
That´s when I looked from the side and saw a strange "coral like pattern" when the TV was switched off. It wasn´t clouding, it looked like it was "under" the coating of the Samsung, like some kind of liquid. It became clearly visible with a flashlight and it didn´t look "normal", it was almost across the whole screen.
I couldn´t clean it with the microfiber cloth, tried it dry and with a tiny bit of water. It was also visible when the TV was turned on. But I didn´t notice it from the couch. But it decreased the picture quality.

I called the store where I bought the TV a day ago and they told me that I don´t have to worry and I should use a LCD cleaning liquid, which was "the best" according to the salesman (Oehlbach LCD cleaning fluid) and also free of alcohol or any harming substances.

So I used it carefuly and after just the first wipes it got a LOT worse. I immediately stopped, called the store again and they told me to take the TV back to the store.
I expected them to see the problem and I could go home with a new KS9000 since this one definately was faulty to my understanding.

But those fuckers told me it was my fault and they have to call Samsung and see what they say about it, which will take 2 weeks and that I had no chance of a replacement from them. They really didn´t want to help me AT ALL. And this is one of the biggest electronic chains in Germany (called "expert") and I bought stuff worth of thousands of Euros there.

I really was in shock and tried to talk to them in a normal way. But they were so incredibly stubborn, the store manager then told me "we don´t replace TV sets, it´s all up to Samsung and this doesn´t look good for you" and adviced me to take the TV back home. I got really angry, it was like talking and shouting to a wall. I didnt´want to take the TV back home and left it there so the Samsung technician comes to them and decides what to to within 14 days. :/

Really feel cheated and still can´t believe it...
What can I do gaf? I am at a total loss here.

Top Bottom