• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kyle Bosman is Leaving Easy Allies

saintjules

Mar 13 at 1:44pm
Bad News: An Announcement from Kyle
First the blunt facts:
I’ll be leaving Easy Allies and Los Angeles at the end of next month
My last solo stream will be Friday, April 17th.
My last group stream will be Tuesday, April 21st.
My last Easy Allies Podcast will be posted on Friday, April 24th for early access and publicly on Sunday, April 26th.

Apologies if that was abrupt, I’ve just read a few of these kinds of posts before and the opening sentences are always excruciating as you’re just waiting to get to the bad news.
And I realize this is bad news in a time of rampant bad news. I have a job that I love working with people I love for a community I love and yet today I’m announcing that, after four years with Easy Allies, it’s time for me to go.
Before anything else I need to make it clear how grateful I am to the Easy Allies community. From March of 2016, when we nervously cobbled Easy Allies together, to today, I feel like a different, calmer, more understanding person. I feel simply better. And, sincerely, not just saying this to be sweet, I owe a great deal of that feeling to this amorphous collection of funny and supportive internet viewers and commenters. I frequently think about the people who have said I’ve improved their day or week or year, and I can only offer my earnest thanks in return and apologize for putting myself first this time.

Our team has known about my exit for a while and have been making plans to cover my absence. The Easy Allies Podcast will of course continue; Jones will nurture it like his very own podcast. Gundam streams will carry on, Damiani will produce Achieve It Yourself, and Don has promised to pick up my slack for future betting specials. No one has volunteered to take over my trash bag duties yet.
As for my own future, I can’t say where I’m going. Not in a fun way where I have a sweet gig lined up that has to stay secret for now, I actually don’t know. Usually people who write these will say “Can’t wait to see what’s next, very excited! I’m very young baby!” but to be honest with you I’m terrified of not knowing what’s next, and that’s sort of the point.
My fear is that your fear is that I’ll just go do what I’m doing now somewhere else. That’s not what I’m looking for. I’m looking for my life’s Main Thing, something that demands my full potential and potentially fully failing at it. Currently I feel like I’m eating french fries every day. I love french fries, I will always eat french fries, but I'm coming to realize I have to eat more than french fries.
This is also to say that I don’t imagine I’ll disappear forever. I want to get my Main Thing established, or at least get on the path to this nebulous Main Thing, and then figure out my french fries from there. I told you I’m streaming a full playthrough of Digimon World and you better believe I’m going to follow through on that. I’m just not going to start up my own Twitch channel next week. Please understand if I’m offline for a while.

If you have questions, concerns, advice, or just want to make sure this isn’t a prank, I’m starting tonight’s stream a half hour early to give us all a chance to talk about everything. ( 8:30pm PT on twitch.tv/easyallies )
Once more I’d like to thank the supporters of Easy Allies. I only have this opportunity because of everything you’ve given us. You might have noticed I’ve stopped using “Love and Respect” as a signoff in Patreon posts. Secretly I just hated seeing it used against us as the stupidest ironic checkmate in comments sections. However, I’d like to indulge in the notion one last time as I feel it’s especially appropriate in this situation.

Love and Respect,
Kyle

I respect it. Living off donations has to be a miserable life after you get used to being free all the time. You kinda have no career, retirement or anything stable. They're not making millions or anything. He's a smart guy and he knows this.

Anyway, it's a huge bummer. This is my main gaming group. But I'll still follow EZA and whatever Kyle does next. It's probably the right call for him, and probably why he's depressed all the time.

DonF

So he is leaving for...not another job? I don't get it. He was just bored of the repetition and decided to quit ?

ok well. what about box peek? well... hope to see what he comes up with next.

Banned
So he is leaving for...not another job? I don't get it. He was just bored of the repetition and decided to quit ?

Box Peek is finished, there were never more than 10 episodes planned

Pidull

Good for Kyle, EZA is unlikely to be a strong source of income for years and years to come.

Kyle is the best part of that group and carries much of the EZA crew on his back. Not to diminish the abilities of some of the other members, but they are not as valuable to the team as he is. Even though they're pulling in a decent sum of money from patrons, it is definitely not enough to live comfortably.

Him and Jones are two of the main reasons I ever pay attention to EZA... knowing that I'm gonna have to listen to speedrunning cheaters like Mike Damiani more often is not very exciting.

Pejo

Gold Member
I don't listen to podcasts, but The Final Bosman was genuinely the only gaming related video content I actually waited for and looked forward to in the past. I'd be there waiting to hit play on the next one each time it was released. Hope he finds what he's looking for and it gives him success.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
hqdefault.jpg

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Shame Kyle is leaving but for me personally, he's literally my 6th favorite Ally in regards to if his tastes in gaming lines up with mine. I do find it weird that he's leaving without having anything planned unless he truly does and just can't say but regardless, good luck to Kyle.

Banned
Shame Kyle is leaving but for me personally, he's literally my 6th favorite Ally in regards to if his tastes in gaming lines up with mine. I do find it weird that he's leaving without having anything planned unless he truly does and just can't say but regardless, good luck to Kyle.

he is on second place for me when it comes to game preferences. Ian is the best match with my gaming tastes and his philosophy when it comes to what is good game design also lines up with mine pretty well.
Kyle likes the weird classic PS1 and GameBoy games that I also learned to love, it is because of him why I fell in love with MegaMan Legends and "For the Frog the Bell Tolls"

Wow, EZA is my fav channel. I always thought Kyle was way too big for EZA, I hope he does his streams and youtube blogs from home while he surely calls Knightley for a job.

Unless something radical happens I can't see EZA surviving this, sad times for the boys.

What if he joins funhaus? That would be something since Bruce and Lawrence left and the rest can't carry the whole thing. He just might.. it's humor all the time over there.

Last edited:

Griffon

I can understand the likely reasoning for leaving (a single patreon for 9 people feels way too tight and insecure financially). But why leave when he has nothing else planned? No gig, no show, nothing?

That's weird.

Last edited:
Good for Kyle, EZA is unlikely to be a strong source of income for years and years to come.

Kyle is the best part of that group and carries much of the EZA crew on his back. Not to diminish the abilities of some of the other members, but they are not as valuable to the team as he is. Even though they're pulling in a decent sum of money from patrons, it is definitely not enough to live comfortably.

Him and Jones are two of the main reasons I ever pay attention to EZA... knowing that I'm gonna have to listen to speedrunning cheaters like Mike Damiani more often is not very exciting.

Jones just isn't a gamer, sorry man but we need more gamers and less corporate brand apologetic supporters. Also Damiani cheated, get over it, he had some great Friend Code episodes.

Banned
I can understand the reasoning for leaving (a single patreon for 9 people feels way too tight and insecure financially). But why leave when he has nothing else planned? No gig, no show, nothing?

That's weird.

I think he will do Twitch for a while maybe? I mean honestly, 1 person with a twitch channel, even a small one... he might end up making more money that way than the current Patreon divided by 9 people
also he could revitalize his youtube channel with new short videos like he did in the time between GameTrailers and EasyAllies. he got up to roughly 80k views on those videos if I remember correctly... which is more than the average EZA video.

Last edited:
I think he will do Twitch for a while maybe? I mean honestly, 1 person with a twitch channel, even a small one... he might end up making more money that way than the current Patreon divided by 9 people

Even though your statement probably is true, it surely wasn't divided by 9. He carried that shit, it was probably 20% for him.

Pidull

Jones just isn't a gamer, sorry man but we need more gamers and less corporate brand apologetic supporters. Also Damiani cheated, get over it, he had some great Friend Code episodes.
Jones is definitely just the administrator behind the scenes for the crew, and it's admittedly annoying that nowadays he mostly seems to play mobile games. Blech.

Damiani is also really annoying to me. I know he edits a lot of their stuff, and he's great at it (lots of experience splicing those Zelda speedruns together after all), but I can't stand his opinions on gaming.

I'll probably continue watching/listening to Frame Trap since I like Ben Moore, but yeah, this is still a big hit to EZA.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
he is on second place for me when it comes to game preferences. Ian is the best match with my gaming tastes and his philosophy when it comes to what is good game design also lines up with mine pretty well.
Kyle likes the weird classic PS1 and GameBoy games that I also learned to love, it is because of him why I fell in love with MegaMan Legends and "For the Frog the Bell Tolls"

For me, it's Huber, Moore, Ellis, Jones, Bloodworth, (Bosman), Damiani and Ian.

I like Kyle and his passion/love for gaming but his tastes/preferences rarely line up with mine.

Fbh

This came out of nowhere. Anyway, best of luck to Kyle. Sounds like while he enjoys his work with EZA it's not making him feel fulfilled, so I can't blame him for looking for a change.
Will be interesting to see how things will be moving forward. Kyle doesn't do reviews or previews but he is a big part of Easy Allies

Why oh why couldn't it have been Ian? Best of luck to Bosman.

Ian isn't that bad, and he seems to do a lot of behind the scenes work.

If there's anyone in EZA I wouldn't mind leaving it's Damiani.

Banned
For me, it's Huber, Moore, Ellis, Jones, Bloodworth, (Bosman), Damiani and Ian.

I like Kyle and his passion/love for gaming but his tastes/preferences rarely line up with mine.

Huber is literally the least I line up with... he overhypes everything and has pretty low standards IMO, basically your list is almost mine in reverse LOL

Last edited:

Roufianos

Ian isn't that bad, and he seems to do a lot of behind the scenes work.

If there's anyone in EZA I wouldn't mind leaving it's Damiani.

I'm sorry but Ian's politics are insufferable. You ever listened to their spoiler cast for Joker?

Ian says the movie is racist and asks "why does Joker only kill black people?" About a movie where Joker kills 5 whites and doesn't explicitly kill any black people.

It's tough to produce content of that type when you're not under the gametrailers umbrella. That's not a lot of money they're making off of their youtube channel and with all the changes to youtube's system, it's a smart move. Also making a living through pateron is hard and risky. If you say something wrong on your stream, episode or podcast, you risk loosing those donations.

LordOfChaos

Seemed like he was absent for a good stretch there and just recently peeked back in. Sad the old GT crew is going to further drift apart, but not surprised.

Bakkus

Fuck. I'm sad. I also question how EA is gonna survive this. Kyle is the favorite of at least 75% of their viewers. Hopefully he will still stream on Twitch from time to time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Huber is literally the least I line up with... he overhypes everything and has pretty low standards IMO, basically your list is almost mine in reverse LOL

I do like Huber's optimism and positivity but yes, he does overhype everything. I don't believe that he has low standards but that he plays games like I used to as a kid/teenager - just for fun and enjoyment. If the game ends up being good or better, he'll say so but if not, he also says so.

ZiriusOne

Oh god, this fucking sucks dude. Kyle is basically irreplacable and i'm scared of who they are going to replace him with.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Kyle's a cool dude. Him and Huber and the dude who was the original GT voice over guy are really the only people I pay attention to.

Trilobit

I really loved Bosman's show at GameTrailers. Haven't paid attention since then, Patreon isn't really my thing, but I'm eager to see where he ends up. I can sort of understand his feelings, he seems to be a very creative and entertaining man who needs real challenges and lofty goals to thrive. Playing it safe feels frustrating eventually.

Best of luck to his future endeavors! My dream is that he'd make a great Final Bosman show on youtube and become as big as Letterman. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:
He had a very slim view on games in general, outside his own interest, so doesn't really bring a lot to the table ALTHOUGH he is a really good host and he and Huber have awesome chemistry. Good luck to him, gas tank looks like it has been running dry for a while.

iconmaster

Banned

This is what Kyle does. He finds something that he's great at and then... stops. I don't know what he expects to happen. Even the stuff you're great at is going to get routine after a while.

But I'm happy to throw my EZA Patreon money somewhere else. There are a number of creators I've been thinking of supporting, and this is as good an impetus as any to make a switch.

This one's on you, buddy. You've missed out.

HE1NZ

Banned
I can understand the likely reasoning for leaving (a single patreon for 9 people feels way too tight and insecure financially). But why leave when he has nothing else planned? No gig, no show, nothing?

That's weird.
He's working with Geoff Keighley on whatever he does next.

Fbh

I'm sorry but Ian's politics are insufferable. You ever listened to their spoiler cast for Joker?

Ian says the movie is racist and asks "why does Joker only kill black people?" About a movie where Joker kills 5 whites and doesn't explicitly kill any black people.

Ian seems to be an annoying SJW. But at least he isn't a big part of most EZA content that I watch (I don't watch their movie stuff so I haven't seen the Joker discussion) and he does seem to at least do a lot of the editing and technical stuff behind the scenes so he brings something to the team.

Damiani has many of the same annoying views on top of being an annoying Nintendo fanboy, and they put him in a ton of podcasts despite not really having a fun or likeable personality and always coming across as being nervous or uncomfortable (I'm guessing he is just very introverted, which is fine, it just doesn't make him fun to watch).He also seems to do less behind the scenes and I generally skip his reviews since we clearly have a different taste in games.

Kyle's a cool dude. Him and Huber and the dude who was the original GT voice over guy are really the only people I pay attention to.

Brad and Ben are cool too.
Some of my favorite EZA content are the 3 hours long Huber + Brad + Ben Frametrap episodes.

Last edited:

Collin

Banned
Wow. Bad news for sure. Kyle is the singular reason I put Easy Allies above all other video game based podcasts. This sucks big time. He’s my favorite member and it’s not even close. No disrespect to the others, I love them all, but Kyle is the centerpiece of what makes their content so engaging and unique.

Ian seems to be an annoying SJW. But at least he isn't a big part of most EZA content that I watch (I don't watch their movie stuff so I haven't seen the Joker discussion) and he does seem to at least do a lot of the editing and technical stuff behind the scenes so he brings something to the team.

Damiani has many of the same annoying views on top of being an annoying Nintendo fanboy, and they put him in a ton of podcasts despite not really having a fun or likeable personality and always coming across as being nervous or uncomfortable (I'm guessing he is just very introverted, which is fine, it just doesn't make him fun to watch).He also seems to do less behind the scenes and I generally skip his reviews since we clearly have a different taste in games.

Brad and Ben are cool too.
Some of my favorite EZA content are the 3 hours long Hubier + Brad + Ben Frametrap episodes.

Ian = Abbie of Giantbomb. Both bring nothing, ever, to the show yet to reach that .00001 audience they get air time.

junguler

Banned
i love kyle as a person but after gt got shutdown and he stopped doing he's talking head videos i can't say i watched alot of stuff he put out, the only thing i cared about from eza was the bets videos and those were few and far between.
regardless, i wish him good luck and am excited to see what he might do next.

Top Bottom