• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Layton Brothers: Mystery Room out tonight on iOS

heringer

Finished 5 cases. It's fun, has a nice presentation. Also, Alfendi Layton turns out to be an... interesting character. Not as boring as I thought he would be. All in all, it's worth $5.

Do not expect Ace Attorney though. Nowhere near as clever or content rich. The solutions are pretty much spelled out for you, and the cases play out the same as the first two (no new mechanic so far), though that were a couple of moments that made me feel smart. I'm yet to tackle the most difficult cases though.

So yeah, not the caliber of Ace Attorney, Ghost Trick or Professor Layton, but for five bucks you shouldn't expect it to be.

Finished 5 cases. It's fun, has a nice presentation. Also, Alfendi Layton turns out to be an... interesting character. Not as boring as I thought he would be. All in all, it's worth $5.

Do not expect Ace Attorney though. Nowhere near as clever or content rich. The solutions are pretty much spelled out for you, and the cases play out the same as the first two (no new mechanic so far), though that were a couple of moments that made me feel smart. I'm yet to tackle the most difficult cases though.

So yeah, not the caliber of Ace Attorney, Ghost Trick or Professor Layton, but for five bucks you shouldn't expect it to be.

how long did each case take?

People seem to have positive impressions on this, plus it's only $5...

OK, I'll bite. This won't replace my hunger for Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, but it'll do for now.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Whoa, finally. Had completely forgotten about this since it took so long. Downloading to try the free cases later.

Now at the first paid case. This game is pretty easy isn't it. The twists are nowhere near as out of the blue (but sensical) als AA

BowieZ

Banned
Layton 3 was amazing (may be biased by it being my first) but Layton 4 was so ordinary. The story was boring as shit, and forced emotionalism.

I was glad Layton 5 picked it up a bit, although the resolution was very unsurprising and hardly worth all the "mystery" (seriously, it blatantly hinted at us the whole way through who the culprit was, and that was indeed the case... :/ )

I'm hoping 6 is good and translates well.

Been playing this on my 4th generation iPod Touch and it's been crashing. It can't be the hardware, can it? It should be able to handle this well I would think.

The music is boss. Time to see if there's an OST for this thing! The translation seems pretty wonky. Even if it's an accent, I don't think a lot of people won't pick up on that and will assume it's just lack of editing (like I did).

I just beat it in one playthrough. Pretty charming and definitely worth $5, but
I'm not sure why it's called Layton Brothers when Alfendi's brother gets nothing more than a passing mention. Not even a silhouette?

Also, I totally called
the Commissioner being Constable Barton
. I thought that was pretty cool.

randomkid

Can anyone who beat the game check the credits to see if Yuzo Koshiro is still the composer? Doesn't seem likely but that man can do anything so I wouldn't be surprised either way,

Aeana

Translation is pretty nice. It's by Richard Honeywood and Plus-Alpha, so not at all a surprise. Seems like it may have been Honeywood's last project before he left his position at Level-5, too.

Translation is pretty nice. It's by Richard Honeywood and Plus-Alpha, so not at all a surprise. Seems like it may have been Honeywood's last project before he left his position at Level-5, too.

Was he the translator for the previous Layton games? If so, I worry about Azran Legacy being disconnected in terms of script to the rest of the series.

Aeana

Was he the translator for the previous Layton games? If so, I worry about Azran Legacy being disconnected in terms of script to the rest of the series.
No. He pretty much only worked on Ni no Kuni, the Inazuma Eleven games and this while he was at Level-5, and I believe most of the Layton games were translated by Nintendo anyway.

I just played the first case but I thought the translation was really sloppy with numerous typos, dumb abbreviations, poor grammar, etc.

As someone who loves Layton and tolerates Ace Attorney, this was pretty disappointing for me.

No. He pretty much only worked on Ni no Kuni, the Inazuma Eleven games and this while he was at Level-5, and I believe most of the Layton games were translated by Nintendo anyway.

Ah, that's good then.

I just played the first case but I thought the translation was really sloppy with numerous typos, dumb abbreviations, poor grammar, etc.

As someone who loves Layton and tolerates Ace Attorney, this was pretty disappointing for me.

It's an accent. Those "typos" and "dumb abbreviations" are intentional.

And yes, I don't like it either. I learned to deal with it, though.

randomkid

Richard Honeywood leaving Level-5 is a big loss, I wasn't aware. It's honestly unbelievable how good Ni no Kuni and DQ8's localizations ended up being.

Mr. F

Banned
On the fence about this one, but will probably give the free cases a shot. Is this the only game in the series or are there more in Japan? Curious if it gets better in general, the mixed impressions on the gameplay side leave me a bit bummed.

On the fence about this one, but will probably give the free cases a shot. Is this the only game in the series or are there more in Japan? Curious if it gets better in general, the mixed impressions on the gameplay side leave me a bit bummed.

I would say that for a game costing $5, you get more than your money's worth. I do recommend to try the first two cases before purchasing anything in case you don't like the gameplay, though.

I think I only noticed one when looking through the case files midway through the game. What typos are you referring to?

The only one I remember was example being misspelled (I think). It was unclear where the dumb accent choices ended and poor grammar started so it all ran together.

Aeana

This kinda reminds me of the complaints DQ4 got with its translation. Incidentally, same people involved. I didn't notice any typos, but the accents could easily be mistaken for mistakes I guess. They certainly were in DQ4 by many.

This kinda reminds me of the complaints DQ4 got with its translation. Incidentally, same people involved. I didn't notice any typos, but the accents could easily be mistaken for mistakes I guess. They certainly were in DQ4 by many.

I liked that and loved NNK. I guess it just didn't click with me here but I'm about to start the second case to see if it improves.

I didn't see any typos. It's obvious from her vocab - summat, nowt, mardy, ont', t'other - as well as constantly saying "ee" and using I/he/she/it "were", that Lucy is from Yorkshire (how's that for a deduction Prof!). As someone from the north myself (Lancashire), it's kind of baffling that they went for it: even though I talk like that, to an extent, I don't type like that because it really is obnoxious as hell to read! If the game had been voice acted, I don't think it would have been so bad. It might've sounded a bit like an episode of Emmerdale, for reference.

Anyway, I completed this game last night. Not bad for £3.50, but not great. The puzzles were a bit simple, and it was tedious if you worked it out in the first minute to click through all the dialogue explaining it to the murderer.

On the positives side though, the music was just awesome. Seriously, it pretty much carried the game as far as I'm concerned.

Chev

I just beat it in one playthrough. Pretty charming and definitely worth $5, but
I'm not sure why it's called Layton Brothers when Alfendi's brother gets nothing more than a passing mention. Not even a silhouette?
I get the impression the titular brothers are not Alfendi and his unseen brother but Alfendi and the "other" Alfendi.

I didn't see any typos. It's obvious from her vocab - summat, nowt, mardy, ont', t'other - as well as constantly saying "ee" and using I/he/she/it "were", that Lucy is from Yorkshire (how's that for a deduction Prof!). As someone from the north myself (Lancashire), it's kind of baffling that they went for it: even though I talk like that, to an extent, I don't type like that because it really is obnoxious as hell to read! If the game had been voice acted, I don't think it would have been so bad. It might've sounded a bit like an episode of Emmerdale, for reference.

Thanks for this; without reference, reading dialogue styled after a dialect can be maddening

man
evil
prof is great. His theme is great too.

I don't mind the 3d. Making it stylized would probably make things a bit harder to locate (even though everything is located). It's clean and simple enough to get a good layout of the crime area.

Just finished case 5 or was it 6. Final stretch. God i hope they make more cases... and translate them faster :D

This really does make good bitesize fun.

And i find lucy's outfit to be adorable.

beat it. Took 7 hours. It's more of the same of the first 2 cases, so if you dig those you'll like the rest.

well worth 5 bucks for the production value anyhow.

Just beat the game. I really like how the cases in the second DLC pack started, setting up
more of an overarching plot, and attempting to tie up loose ends from previous cases. Having to solve a puzzle instead of a murder mystery was a nice change of pace too.
But I thought the solutions to the final two cases were rather unbelievable.

Case 8:
At first I thought Donkey was the killer, and Dog was an accomplice. I don't think that scenario would invalidate Diane's statement that there was only one killer. Later on, I thought Dog killed Pig within that one minute interval when Donkey was waiting outside. How long does it even take to kill someone? Just bash the victim in the head and job's done.

Case 9:
Using the case file created by Alfendi to prove that Justin was in cahoots with Makepeace seemed like a huge leap in logic to make to me. And there's too many loose ends. Maybe I'm just too used to Ace Attorney's style, but I thought the final case would spin off into another full-scale investigation scene where you'd figure out everything.

Top Bottom