• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked emails reveal Nintendo has struck secret deal with Sony for Mario movie

You know darn well that the only person in the world capable of making a proper Earthbound movie is David Lynch.

David Lynch. Making a movie about four children using the power of friendship, prayer and teddy bears to save the world...

You and I have a very different idea of what a good Earthbound movie would be, my friend.

Incoming 10-minute sex scene with Daisy

It's gonna be one of those movies

Oscars everywhere

jack.gif

Makonero

David Lynch. Making a movie about four children using the power of friendship, prayer and teddy bears to save the world...

You and I have a very different idea of what a good Earthbound movie would be, my friend.

Yes, Earthbound is clearly a movie meant to be directed by M. Night Shymalan.

Actually, Spielberg would be a wonderful choice.

system11

Can we get an animated Ron Jeremy in this one?

If the above makes no sense, it's probably safer for work not to go fishing.

I want the Mario voice over guy from the games in the movie. I want 1 and a half hours worth of dialogue from that high pitched voice. I don't want the old school Mario cartoon voice whose balls obviously dropped. He hit puberty at age 3. I want the falsetto voiced eunuch Mario of the modern era.

This may work with a Lego movie type feel. Play to nostalgia, some nods to the history of the franchise, some 2D sprite work sprinkled in for good measure and I think you've got something.

Avi Arad?
You fucked up Nintendo, you gone and fuckep up again.

Instead of trying with Disney, where the real money merchandise is, and with strong animation studios right now, they go and give them to this shitty producer at sony.

The onyl redeeming thing of all this is if Genndy Tartakovsky is directing (becuase it's the onyl man there I see foing a good job with it). Everything outside that is shit, and all is becuase of the prodcuers involved. ANd even if Tartakovsky does it, at the end of the day, someone could force him to put some shitty pop out of place musical number again like in hotel transylvania.

Hope this falls thanks to the leaked emails, and they try with a different company or at least, wit a differnt producer. How that man can still get jobs baffles me.

I would love nothing more than an all out 3D animated Mario movie, but not from Sony Pictures Animation. Not with Avi Arad producing and not with Genndy Tartokovsky directing. SPA Has only released mediocre to decent movies at best. Avi Arad has long since become a hack past his prime and Genndy did a good job with some cult favorite TV shows a decade or so ago, but I've never seen anything in his work that suggests it would play well on a larger, wider audience level the way a Mario movie ought to.
To be fair, I'd have said the same thing about Joss Whedon before The Avengers. I don't think Hotel Transylvania is Genndy's Firefly, though.

I'd be jumping for joy if Nintendo teams with Disney to make this happen. That's one of those things that just feels right. Hopefully the deal falls through because I just don't see how this move would be very good.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
i thought arthur christmas, the first cloudy, and pirates were all pretty well received?

Both cloudy's were good. Pirates was kinda eh (disappointing since it's an Aardman film). Surf's Up is pretty underrated. Hotel Transylvania has amazing animation (thanks to Genndy), story aside.

The Argus

If Nintendo really cared about their brand, and didn't want a repeat of the 90's fiasco you'd think they do a little research on Sony Animation. When Arthur Christmas (huh?!) is the best movie they've put out, Nintendo obviously just wanted a Smurfs boxoffice smash.

Mario deserves better. He kind of fits the DreamWorks recent push. But I feel the only way we'd ever get a real magical Mario is if he did some paperwork with a certain mouse.

MisterHero

This is weird after the collaboration for Wreck-it Ralph.

Doesn't Sony still have the rights to the 1994 movie? Seeing it on PSP UMD was pretty wacky.

levyjl1988

Banned
Remember when Nintendo and Sega were at it. Fast forward a decade later and you got Mario and Sonic in a game together, first in the Olympic Games now they are fighting each other in all out brawl with nostaligic characters like Pac Man and Mega Man.

It won't be surprising if Sony does make a Nintendo movie. It's all Japan right, when universes collide. It's all in the form of entertainment baby. Kingdom Hearts. Marvel vs. Capcom, etc.

Decades later there won't be the Microsoft vs. Sony vs. Nintendo.
Eventually it will be one whole monopoly of entertainment under one roof for the almighty dollar. More like East vs West or something.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I think one of the other leaks mentions that Kaz actually sometimes reads the scripts for Sony Pictures movies and gives feedback...

That would be funny, but he is an important figure in the company and probably has enough marketing know how to give valid feedback. Feedback doesn't seem to imply he's telling them to change stuff every time. The only example seems to be for The Interview and probably because of getting an actual request from North Korea

Top Bottom