• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO Avengers on Vita/3DS has exclusive content, open world, no loading screens

ca.ign.com/articles/2016/01/22/lego-marvels-avengers-will-include-the-same-open-world-on-handhelds-as-consoles?

For the first time ever a LEGO game is getting the open-world treatment on handhelds.

Steve Thornton, game director for the Vita and 3DS versions of LEGO Marvel's Avengers, wrote a blog post with all sorts of details about his team's versions of the upcoming game. Included was the promise of the same, open hub world as on consoles — something WB hinted at during our LEGO Marvel preview.

For the first time ever a LEGO game is getting the open-world treatment on handhelds.

More than that: the full-sized portable versions will come "with no breaks, cuts or loading screens."

Steve Thornton, game director for the Vita and 3DS versions of LEGO Marvel's Avengers, wrote a blog post with all sorts of details about his team's versions of the upcoming game. Included was the promise of the same, open hub world as on consoles — something WB hinted at during our LEGO Marvel preview.

Thornton further acknowledged that size wasn't the only factor in his team's digital version of Manhattan. As if to underscore the parity, the director added that the handheld versions will also be "fully populated with traffic and pedestrian systems, props and Free Play content," and even 15 challenges only available on portable devices.

These include collectible trading cards, as well as bigger content like a separate storyline featuring Doctor Strange, Daredevil, and Moon Knight.

You can purchase LEGO Marvel's Avengers on Vita and 3DS — as well as PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, PS3, Xbox 360, and PC — starting on January 26.

Hell yeah. This is going to be the first LEGO game I've bought since the original LEGO Star Wars. Glad to see handhelds not get shafted for once here.

Little concerned about performance though...

Make me step on LEGO if old

Boba2007

Didn't City Undercover have open world on 3DS? So this isn't really the first.

It also had more fog than Superman 64. I doubt this will be any better.

MUnited83

For you.
Hmm, nice, might very well pick up this for the Vita. I enjoy the Lego games a lot but the handheld versions have been very underwhelming for a while. Glad to see they're returning to make them like the home console versions.

BTHR Zero X

still can not wait for this. I love LEGO I love MARVEL and I play the original game so much still. So I want this so bad.

AwRy108

Sounds too good to be true, especially considering in the past: 1) how little effort they put into the previous handheld ports; 2) the Vita version is always just an upscaled 3DS (aka. weaker hardware) port; and 3) the handheld versions of LEGO Marvel Superheroes were HUGE steps backwards from even the previous handheld LEGO games.

TL;DR: I'll believe it only after reviews drop.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Sounds too good to be true, especially considering in the past: 1) how little effort they put into the previous handheld ports; 2) the Vita version is always just an upscaled 3DS (aka. weaker hardware) port; and 3) the handheld versions of LEGO Marvel Superheroes were HUGE steps backwards from even the previous handheld LEGO games.

TL;DR: I'll believe it only after reviews drop.
The likely explanation is that they stepped up the mobile versions this time around. The handheld versions benefit as a happy byproduct of that, not because of any targeted effort towards them.

fernoca

City Undercover on 3DS was first in a way like the city was there to explore and drive around, but some missions took you out of it and the loadings in between. Some didn't, like the very first one were you're supposed to pickup donuts for the police station, but they were waiting for the stock. So you had to drive to were he was seen to find he had an accident, pickup the donuts and go back to the donut place.

Previews of Avengers noted that the diference this one is that the missions and everything take place without loadings. Haven't seen videos of it though even when release it's in 4 days.

Pictures of the 3DS version. Does look like LCU on 3DS but with less fog. :p

Wanderer5

Hmmm I might check out the 3DS version to have it on the go if impressions on the open world and selection of characters are good.

These include collectible trading cards, as well as bigger content like a separate storyline featuring Doctor Strange, Daredevil, and Moon Knight.

SOLD, hopefully!:p

Korosenai

Yo, this is amazing. My little brother will be happy about this, its the only reason why he refuses to get the other lego games for his 3ds.

I can't imagine this doesn't end up looking horrible. Undercover would have been a pretty good looking game if it wasn't for the fog and frame rate issues, but without segmented areas and loading this game is going to have a crazy amount of pop-in.

Hoping New 3DS will get some love here to help mitigate the graphical load.

Syriel

IGN is LTTP with this one.

The Vita version was showing off the Manhattan hub at PlayStation Experience last month. ;)

Velcro Fly

So I hear on the Lego Marvel one that if you die you have to replay the whole stage instead of just taking studs away. That sounds awful honestly and I hope this one goes back to the old way. It seems like some effort is being put forth for this so fingers crossed it isn't terrible.

So I hear on the Lego Marvel one that if you die you have to replay the whole stage instead of just taking studs away. That sounds awful honestly and I hope this one goes back to the old way. It seems like some effort is being put forth for this so fingers crossed it isn't terrible.

wat

jwk94

Yeah lego marvel had a lot of dumb design choices.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

You mean Lego Marvel Super Heroes?

Curious about the 3DS version. When The Chase Begins came out, the studio said the game pushed the system to its limits. This sounds much bigger, so... ?

fernoca

What's the catch? There's always a catch. Probably an insane amount of fog.
Looks on par with Chase Begins, but no fog and no loadings at least is an improvement.

iNvGzvX.jpg

Kgvxvc9.jpg

VlaoUnY.jpg

I liked Chase Begins on 3DS played it at release and even bought it digitally this year. I was going to skip on this game because I'm focused on Lego Dimensions as far as Lego games on Wii U; but now will get this on 3DS.

Hale-XF11

Looks on par with Chase Begins, but no fog and no loadings at least is an improvement.

I liked Chase Begins on 3DS played it at release and even bought it digitally this year. I was going to skip on this game because I'm focused on Lego Dimensions as far as Lego games on Wii U; but now will get this on 3DS.

Looks promising! I played the heck out of Chase, because it was open world and I absolutely adored it, despite the excruciating load times. Avengers looks like it could at least be as good, if not maybe better. Devs always seem to have a way of squeezing more juice out of a system after so many iterations in its lifecycle, so who knows what wizardry awaits.

Suzzopher

I may have to double dip for the exclusive content. I'll be picking up the PS4 version anyway but now the Vita version sounds like a must buy too.

Maybe not straight away.

VLiberty

Didn't City Undercover have open world on 3DS? So this isn't really the first.

It also had more fog than Superman 64. I doubt this will be any better.
Yep and it was still a boring game.

Lack of open world is not what was holding back the handhelds Lego, and until they're spin off made by the b-team I won't buy them

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Whoa! If decent(i don't care if it's not native res) it will be the first lego game i buy!

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm going 3DS (through Gamestop to get the pre-order bonus), and Steam (CDKeys, which has the deluxe version for $22 and change)

The Sony exclusive DLC is timed, and should be free on all platforms at a later date... at least that's what is being spouted, hope it's true.

I really love playing the LEGO games on PC, but having them on-the-go is great too. I don't want to miss out on their first open world superhero game on portable systems, really curious to see how it will be.

The increased parity between handheld and console/pc is definitely one of the most requested features. And with the next gen of handhelds not far off (NX handheld is maybe 2017 right? I know it's just speculation but..) then they should be nearly the same in another couple years.

notaskwid

Every PSplus lego game on Vita that I tried was absolutely horrible, I felt insulted that my subscription paid for that.

I'm going 3DS (through Gamestop to get the pre-order bonus), and Steam (CDKeys, which has the deluxe version for $22 and change)

The Sony exclusive DLC is timed, and should be free on all platforms at a later date... at least that's what is being spouted, hope it's true.

I really love playing the LEGO games on PC, but having them on-the-go is great too. I don't want to miss out on their first open world superhero game on portable systems, really curious to see how it will be.

The increased parity between handheld and console/pc is definitely one of the most requested features. And with the next gen of handhelds not far off (NX handheld is maybe 2017 right? I know it's just speculation but..) then they should be nearly the same in another couple years.

Sony exclusive DLC? Does that include the Vita? Because I think I'd go ahead and preorder this today if I knew it had all the DLC.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'd true then my son will be giddy as Christmas morning. I've always wanted a version on par with the consoles on Vita. Make the textures simpler or whatever but get the game at parity with the consoles (minus the higher quality visuals) and I'll consider most of the Lego games on Vita. I did get Lego Marvel but it was a clearance priced physical copy for $5. If it was the full version I might have considered a day 1 purchase on portable.

fernoca

I thought we already had a Lego Avengers game?

Is this Lego Avengers 2?
Nope. Lego Marvel Super Heroes was the previous one. Its own story and characters from all over Marvel; including X-Men.

This one is based on both Avengers; around the Marvel Cinematic Universe (so no X-Men, no Netflix characters, etc).

Drayco21

The Vita version finally being worth playing is great news! I was going to hold off on this until it's cheaper because of the MCU emphasis, but I might pick it up even faster than intended if the Vita version has some good impressions attached to it.

Strange, DD, and Moon Knight story content? Hell yeah!

Top Bottom