• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about cheat devices (GameShark, Action Replay, Game Genie, etc)

Chances are high that you grew up say in the 90's you owned a cheat device, hell I'd even guess the vast majority if folks in the 90's used one for one thing and one thing only; Pokemon.

Everything from catching any Pokemon, having custom movesets, hell even unearthing special content never seen during normal gameplay. The GS Ball in Crystal is one such thing, where it was only available via a mobile link-up in the Japanese version, yet IIRC, it was fully translated in the English versions but was forever locked away.

Of course you also have your walk-through-walls codes to see where the hell you could go (finally revealing what the hell would be found in the grass in Pallet Town. I'll tell you what you'd find; an instant crash! :p).

And in other games you'd use them for the usual infinite lives, invincibility, infinite ammo (insert other usual quotes on boxes here). But regardless what you used for, you'd usually have a BLAST using them!

Most in the 90's would remember the GameShark. This was actually indeed by Datel, who makes Action Replay, because they're the same thing. What happened was that InterAct would localize the Action Replay devices as GameShark in NA from EU.

Eventually InterAct went bankrupt, which resulted in the GS brand being sold to MadCatz, and Datel would themselves release Action Replay in NA starting with the GC, GBA. PS2, and Xbox.

One device that was lost in that bankruptcy, was the GameCube GameShark. :'(

Only this pic remains:

EI0UUwv.gif

Eventually it seemed like traditional cheat devices sort of died out, leaving Datel mostly releasing Game Saves/Power Saves which are from what I understand, are just preset saves with codes/cheats already in them, not as much fun sounding huh?

Cheat devices always felt like they were limitless in what you could use with them.

Among my favs was actually Pelican (now PDP)'s Monster Brain for Pokemon Gold & Silver. That was purely a Pokemon editor, where with ease you can customize movesets, personality values, stats, shiny status, etc.

As for today, Datel is releasing this:

2wCMVuQ.jpg

Yeah... the future of Action Replay is a Power Saves device... merged with their amiibo device from earlier.

I wonder if they'll make a Switch device. IIRC, the 3DS is the ONLY 8th Gen device to get an Action Replay product.

Hyperkin seemingly tried to bring back the Game Genie (did they buy the name/brand from Codemasters?) but only ever released one for DS and PS3 (there's a 3DS-branded one, but that's just the DS one still):

88Fjmx2.jpg

That's pretty much it for now. What are your memories of cheat devices, and thoughts on their future?

Fond memories of using Action Replays on PS2 to make all sorts of mad stuff happen in games. Put the disc and special memory card in, load up whatever necessary, then pop the real game disc in and have a blast.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
A friend bought one for his playstation just so he could forcefully keep Aerith in his party in FF VII after you know what.

Lagamorph

Had a Game Genie for my Mega Drive and an Action Replay for the first Playstation, they were great.

I think they still make similar devices for the 3DS don't they?
I'm sure I saw one for Xbox 360 as well.

Doubt they could release such a device for current-gen consoles though with the huge online focus most titles have. It'd be a pretty quick way to get your PSN/Live account banned.

RexNovis

Banned
This is one of the things about gaming I miss the most. The rise of online infrastructure and multiplayer gaming necessitated their demise but damn if I don't miss being able to fiddle around in my favorite games to add replay value and just have fun.

The more I've thought about it the more I feel like this ties on with the issue of ownership and how that has slowly eroded in gaming over the years. Nowadays we pay for the license to use a game and do not actually own the physical product or code that we pay for as such we are no longer entitled to exploit or alter that code as we had been able to in the past (with the exception of PC gaming of course). It's a shame that multiplayer gaming and online connectivity has come at such high cost.

Had a Game Genie for my Mega Drive and an Action Replay for the first Playstation, they were great.

I think they still make similar devices for the 3DS don't they?

No, there doesn't seem to be a legit Action Replay cheat device on 3DS, like with Game Genie, they only just re-released the DS one with 3DS branding added.

Rival

Gold Member
Loved my game genies on NES and SNES. Still remember the Sim City code for unlimited money by heart. c28aad61.

Lots of good times with my GameShark. Sharked max stats/levels onto all my Pokemon and the proper Hidden Power values onto the likes of Raikou and Zapdos in GSC. Ain't nobody got time for doing that the manual way.

Justinh

I had the NES Game Genie and Genesis Game Genie when I was a kid. I remember actually doing the triple stack of Game Genie, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic 3. It was what was in my Genesis most of the time.

I cheated a lot when I was a kid, but I don't remember beating any games while using the Game Genie for some reason. Zelda II? never beat it legit (I did use a save state on 3DS to get used to Thunderbird and see the end, still haven't beaten the game legit), Ninja Turtles on NES? Never beat it, with or without using the Game Genie. I don't know why... maybe it had something to do with weird codes that didn't really help that much?

The only cheat device I've owned since then was an Action Replay cart for Saturn I got a couple years ago when I got a Saturn. I don't use it for cheats though, mainly for region-lock busting since I have a Japanese Saturn and saves backup I think.

chrixter

I remember having my mind blown by a GameShark code for Majora's Mask that let you use Zora Link's smooth swimming controls to fly around.

Also enjoyed the gun-building codes for Perfect Dark that allowed you to stack a bunch of secondary functions and properties from different guns onto a single badass gun.

Auctopus

Absolutely loved my Action Replay Max on PS2 and GBC/A.

I can kind of understand why they're not around today though.

chaosaeon

I still remember putting in a ridiculous code (like 50 lines or something) that let you play FFVII as Sephiroth. You could do omnislash by pressing circle.

Stopdoor

Was there a Gameshark/Action Replay for the original Xbox? I've been looking at some original Xbox games and wondering if there's any way to skip the unlocking grind on something like Timesplitters 2.

Kysen

I had one for PS2, cant remember the name but I was able to play through GTA:SA with telekinesis. Lifting cars/people and throwing them was a blast.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Codebreaker 9.2 on PS2 was the most heavenly thing back in the day. The package for it also came with a media player so you could watch divX encoded videos on the PS2. You could download game cheat profiles or add stuff manually as well.

It was the shit.

Tagyhag

I never owned a cheat device, but my friend let me use his for my Yugioh Forbidden Memories.

FINALLY getting Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon was amazing.

For PC I had trainers and later on cheat engine if that counts.

GaryD

Yep I remember going through the process of creating your own codes for different games. Loved it but I still sucked bad enough not to finish games of that era.

Velcro Fly

I was goofing around with some kind of code for Fire Emblem Sacred Stones and it wiped out every code on the entire machine. Sucked after that trying to enter codes for Pokemon since I had to manually enter everything again.

Fisty

51RQWVEDTXL._SX425_.jpg

This baby right here. ARMAX, a USB stick, the fat ps2 network adapter, a big hdd, and a PS1 disc turned the PS2 into probably the most amazing thing in the world for a broke teenager.

Azubah

Action Reply is one of the reasons why I started to look into software development. If it wasn't for messing with memory addresses I wouldn't be where I am today.

Under a mountain of student loan debt. :D

Had both an SNES and ps2 one back in the day. Was great for some games you had beaten a thousand times. FFX with infinite gil and sphere levels was fun.

Hardvlade

Many years ago, I used to hack codes for the GameShark/CodeBreaker on PS2, my name is still credited on some of those code databases. Back when cmgsccc.com used to be around haha

No lie, I miss this shit, the days of getting into debug room and using the N64/PSX GS Pro to make your own codes was amazing. My first one was the Game Genie for the SNES, and got them for almost every system available.

Timeless

You used to be able to run hacks on your consoles and games that you bought. Ever since the Wii, that's become hard or impossible. We've lost something. Lots of unused / test content in older games, plus cheat codes you didn't have to give money to Electronic Arts to unlock.

On PC, this dream is still mostly alive, but Microsoft tries to kill it with its PC ports, as do all companies that use Denuvo.

The only time I really wanted one was to get the NES games that were impossible to get in Animal Crossing. Would have been useful for SNES games I rented back in the day though.

SaikyoBro

Lots of fun memories with GameCube AR going into SSBM debug mode with friends. Obviously PC modding would be what's taken its place but I do sometimes think about how fun it would be to mess with some modern console games like that.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I felt like a genius when I figured out the Game Genie code to access Hidden Palace in Sonic 2. Not like the level was actually playable, though. I also figured out codes for a lot of broken/empty levels in Sonic 3, which were basically just placeholders for the levels that got cut and moved to Sonic & Knuckles.

You could use the N64 Gameshark to gain access to more multiplayer maps in Goldeneye. There were a handful of stages from the story mode that had working multiplayer versions complete with spawn points and weapons and everything but just weren't available by default for some reason. This was also the only way to access some of the built-in cheat options for that game that had button codes that weren't discovered until years later, IIRC.

Codebreaker 9.2 on PS2 was the most heavenly thing back in the day. The package for it also came with a media player so you could watch divX encoded videos on the PS2. You could download game cheat profiles or add stuff manually as well.

It was the shit.

Bless codebreaker.

Was aaaaamazing.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
Action Reply is one of the reasons why I started to look into software development. If it wasn't for messing with memory addresses I wouldn't be where I am today.

Under a mountain of student loan debt. :D
Lol! Last sentence got me good. Hopefully it pays off :)

woopWOOP

Cousin had a Game Genie for NES. That thing looked so awkward to use... I was too afraid to break something. Also the cheats kinda sucked. Have Mega Man do small jumps backwards only? Wooptidoo.
I fondly remember the input screen tho. The rainbow font was mesmerizing to me.

It wasn't until the Gamecube days that I bought a cheat device for myself to use. I think I originally bought an Action Replay or whatever to be able to play import titles, but in the end I had a lot more fun screwing around with cheats. Sure did help me unlock the remaining racers from F-Zero GX's bullshit story mode as well as the remaining multiplayer maps from Timesplitters 2's impossible final challenges. Also allowed me to see what's at the final dungeon of Crystal Chronicles (it's all shit). Ohyeah, and racing at top speed in Wave Race Blue Storm, so fast that you could see the continent or wall stop, go behind it and race back into the 'safe zone'. Then you ride around on the other side 'through' the walls. Yeah, it was fun to screw around with that thing.

I also bought one for DS to hack myself some Pokemon, but I screwed up and only made bad eggs. And then the device stopped working :V Ohwell

Alfredo

One of my favorite things to do with the Gameshark on the N64 was use codes that would mess with the game's textures and sound effects to make it look like an entirely different game. And then I'd use my imagination to pretend it was a new game.

Like, there was this one "Alien World" code for Mario 64 that corrupted all the textures, and another code that would distort all the sound effects. It was so creepy looking and sounding that it totally changed the tone of the game.

RootCause

51RQWVEDTXL._SX425_.jpg

This baby right here. ARMAX, a USB stick, the fat ps2 network adapter, a big hdd, and a PS1 disc turned the PS2 into probably the most amazing thing in the world for a broke teenager.
That box brings back memories. I had two AR(ps2/gc). So many fun cheats.

Vanadium

Game Genie was hilarious fun. But even with infinite lives, we never made a real progress on Silver Surfer.

We just went back to clogging the B button eating Cheetos in Contra and tapping the Power Pad with our hands and feet to beat Cheetah in World Class Track Meet.

Also WHERE THE FACK IS THE POWER PAD THREAD?

i-Jest

Had GameShark Game Saves for Gamecube. If I ever retro collect for Gamecube, god help my wallet, I'd definitely get one of these again.

31K0AX0FZ1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

120v

game genie was the shit in the nes days... back when games were just stupid hard and you wanted to beat it just because. no leaderboards, achievements, or streaming back then, you just wanted to finish the damn game

funny though how much priorities have changed. now we covet hard as balls games and the mere thought of cheesing them in any way is basically not playing the game

I miss game genie.
Not only did it allow you to curb stomp your favorites but was a great tool for speeding things up and experience the game differently.

Top Bottom