• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about the new legendary Pokémon for Sun and Moon

Yrael

That lion legendary is amazing.

It makes up for Pyroar being a wasted opportunity (great design, shitty stats - why make a lion Pokemon so weak and limited?).

Dragoshi1

FYI you can see the Lion's exclusive move during the JP trailer, when Shohei is outside the shop. One of the TVs shows it using the move on the left of the screen.

Jay RaR

Liked both legendaries and it's actually pretty hard to choose which one I should capture but I'll choose the Moon Bat.

I predict the lion would be Fire / Psychic and the Moon Bat to be Water / Fairy.

Neiteio

I'd be legit terrified to visit Alola in real life. Can you imagine running into that lion and it roaring so loud that you're knocked off your feet? Or looking up at that night sky and seeing that bat silhouetted in front of the moon like some sort of cosmic demon?

I mean, I know Yveltal is probably scarier than both, lore-wise (its whole concept is to DESTROY EVERYTHING), but these two got me tremblin' me at their power/majesty!

Neiteio

My boy Zygarde didn't get his game. :(

But whatevs, I'm hyped for SuMo. #TeamMoonBat
Post-game where you return to Kalos — believe! It would easy to do (or easier than rebuilding previous regions in 3D) since Kalos already is in 3D. Imagine going back to Kalos for the post-game and finding Zygarde's alternate formes. It could be why they skipped a Pokemon Z!

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
They both look awesome. The starters look pretty good too. Looking forward to this new Pokemon.

gardfish

Post-game where you return to Kalos — believe! It would easy to do (or easier than rebuilding previous regions in 3D) since Kalos already is in 3D. Imagine going back to Kalos for the post-game and finding Zygarde's alternate formes. It could be why they skipped a Pokemon Z!

I genuinely don't think this is happening, since Kalos doesn't have the dynamic environmental design that Alola does and is scaled for the chibi-style overworld characters to boot. The manpower that would go into retooling Kalos for 7th gen would be better-spent expanding Alola.

I still think Zygarde's going to get his Delta Episode equivalent, though.

Sun looks like Gregar from battle network 6

So lion for me
latest

Goldrush

Think the Moon one is really clever. However, don't really like it how the two don't share a common style. Previous generations, either through design elements or animal inspirations, shared some unifying feature. Nothing here shows that the two are related to each other.

Hedge

Both designs are too busy for me. I really want to choose Moon edition, but that design is just too much for me, so I'll likely end up with Sun.

Joqu

Think the Moon one is really clever. However, don't really like it how the two don't share a common style. Previous generations, either through design elements or animal inspirations, shared some unifying feature. Nothing here shows that the two are related to each other.

They both have the starry celestial dome thing, or whatever you'd call it, as a head. Their eyes that are part of that are not only very similar too, but they're also one of their counterpart's respective colours, with the moon legend having redish eyes, and the sun legend blueish ones.

Water, dark makes sense for a moon Pokemon
No, it doesn't. We had a moon Pokemon before (a legendary at that) that was psychic type, while a Pokemon that represented the absence of the moon was Dark. We also have moves with "moon" in the title that are fairy type.

There's also the fact that the moon is the single biggest source of light at night. Dark type makes less sense than literally every other type. Fairy, water, psychic, and flying are all nice choices I think.

Neiteio

Dark makes sense for the moon bat since a moon can be seen as a symbol of night and night is associated with darkness.

Likewise, the moon is culturally associated with Water by way of lunar tides.

The Psychic type has also been associated with the cosmos (and thus starry skies, and night).

That being said, Fairy is directly associated with the moon in the games, so...

Really, none of the above would surprise me. They all could work thematically.

Dark makes sense for the moon bat since a moon can be seen as a symbol of night and night is associated with darkness.

Likewise, the moon is culturally associated with Water by way of lunar tides.

The Psychic type has also been associated with the cosmos (and thus starry skies, and night).

That being said, Fairy is directly associated with the moon in the games, so...

Really, none of the above would surprise me. They all could work thematically.
But the moon, both in real life and in the world of Pokemon, is associated with light. Light is traditionally not associated with darkness. Psychic type is traditionally portrayed as the opposite of Dark type, which is likely one of the reasons that Cressalia, who represents the moon's light, is Psychic type as opposed to Darkrai, who represents darkness and the absence of the moon. It might be one of those things I misheard, but I believe in other countries psychic fills in a role as a "light" type, which is why it's at odds with dark all the time.

It's not gonna be dark type. It makes literally the least amount of sense. You could even argue more strongly for something like ice because the moon is cold lol

Neiteio

But the moon, both in real life and in the world of Pokemon, is associated with light. Light is traditionally not associated with darkness. Psychic type is traditionally portrayed as the opposite of Dark type, which is likely one of the reasons that Cressalia, who represents the moon's light, is Psychic type as opposed to Darkrai, who represents darkness and the absence of the moon.

It's not gonna be dark type. It makes literally the least amount of sense.
I'm inclined to believe it will be Fairy, but I'm baffled you never noticed cultures across the earth using the moon as a symbol of night (darkness) for, like, 3,000 years.

I'm inclined to believe it will be Fairy, but I'm baffled you never noticed cultures across the earth using the moon as a symbol of night (darkness) for, like, 3,000 years.
Night represents darkness, but the whole point of the moon is that it's the light in the darkness. Unless it's a new moon, a la Darkrai. This is true in both real life and real mythology as well as the world of Pokemon (which is why every moon based Pokemon and move is not dark type).

Come on, man.

I have to say I'm not a fan. I remember seeing Xerneas and Yveltal and loving them immediately. Such great designs. These feel off to me like no other cover legends have before.

I like the Moon legend the most of the two, though.

This is pretty much how I feel.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
I love both of these, Pokemon legendaries are in a whole other level of awesome lately. The last meh one was Reshiram. Everything else has been ace.

I'm honestly not sure if you're joking. It's hard to read tone on the Internet.
How do you think people see in the dark? The moon is a shining beacon of light. This is really, really intuitive. Even if you ignore how the moon has been represented in literally every other instance in the world of Pokemon (not darkness).

I guess it doesn't really matter because it won't be dark type, but it's annoying to see people saying Dark type would make sense when Dark type makes the least sense. I mean the Pokemon itself is white for crying out loud.

Neiteio

How do you think people see in the dark? The moon is a shining beacon of light. This is really, really intuitive. Even if you ignore how the moon has been represented in literally every other instance in the world of Pokemon (not darkness).
The moon, in real life, is emblematic of night...

Look, it's OK. Let's move on, lol.

It'll probably be Fairy because that's where the games put the moon imagery.

Joqu

Umbreon is associated with the moon too

The moon, in real life, is emblematic of night...

Look, it's OK. Let's move on, lol.

It'll probably be Fairy because that's where the games put the moon imagery.
Yeah, and people light candles when it's dark out. Charmander isn't dark type. The moon itself is one of the fundamental symbols of light, not darkness.

tookhster

Sun legendary looks cool but reminds me too much of Pyroar. Makes me wish Pyroar didn't exist.....especially if Sun legendary ends up being fire type (which it almost obviously looks like).

Moon bat looks refreshing and unique so I like it much better. It doesn't look badass like the lion but still looks powerful and mystical.

Neiteio

Yeah, and people light candles when it's dark out. Charmander isn't dark type. The moon itself is one of the fundamental symbols of light, not darkness.
Titanboa, I guarantee you the vast majority of people associate the moon with the darkness of night. Yes, it's bright. But it represents night. Always has.

Also, check out Umbreon's dex entries:

Pearl - The light of the moon changed Eevee's genetic structure. It lurks in darkness for prey.

Platinum - When exposed to the moon's aura, the rings on its body glow faintly and it gains a mysterious power.

Shakala

Would you say the difference is like night and day?

Neiteio

Right, because it was mutated by the moon. They're two different things.
No they're not. Umbreon took on the essence of the moon. He is Dark. Like the night. Of which the moon has been the symbol for millenia. Easily provable with even a cursory glance at any culture's history. No shit the moon itself is bright, but as a celestial entity its domain is and has always been the dark of night.

Now, Moon Bat will likely be Fairy since that is now associated with the moon motif in-game. But a Dark theme wouldn't be out of place.

Bottom line, the person's suggestion was reasonable.

Joqu

Right, because it was mutated by the moon. They're two different things.

Look, the point is that anyone who think that the Moon legendary will be a dark type is wrong.

Come on, you know how daft that sounds. I'm not saying it has to be a dark type, the Cresselia comparison is a fine one too, but it could go both ways. And the fairy one obviously works too. But Umbreon, being associated with the moon too, IS a dark type Pokemon. It's a dark type pokemon associated with moonlight even, like you stressed yourself. And that didn't make it a non Dark type. It's that simple.

Neiteio

Titanboa, you don't have to keep digging yourself into a hole. It's OK to admit there are many valid ways to handle lunar motifs! :)

Sapientas

Both look pretty awesome, I'm very impressed with their distinctive designs.
Looking back at them now, I like all game legendaries, Gen 4 being the least memorable but still cool.

Top Bottom