• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life is Strange Before the Storm: platinum trophy exclusive to the Deluxe Edition?

Goldrusher

The regular season pass ($16.99) gives you access to the main game, which consists of 3 episodes starring Chloe.
There's also a Deluxe Edition ($24.99) which comes with an additional episode starring Max.

Today the trophies went live... and it looks like the bonus episode comes with a trophy... in the base list.
Which means anyone not getting the Deluxe Edition is effectively locked out of getting the platinum.

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/6501-life-is-strange-before-the-storm
&
https://www.exophase.com/game/life-is-strange-before-the-storm-psn/trophies/

How strange. Rewind this decision, please.

update 08/30:

Quick update on this issue -

We are happy to officially confirm the PS Platinum trophy/XB 1000g will not be gated behind the Deluxe Edition of Life is Strange: Before the Storm. This fix will be implemented alongside the release of Episode Two.

Thanks for your patience and understanding, in the meantime, we hope you enjoy Episode One of Life is Strange: Before the Storm!

Yohane

Don't you get the plat for completing the base trophies?

Is DLCs giving base trophies even possibile according to Sony PSN rules?

Just moments off posting this exact thread aha.

Certainly does not seem right, very unfair for those who don't purchase the deluxe edition.

Why? The people who care about platinums are going to hate this, leaving the platinum exclusively for people who don't really care to begin with. I hope for their sake there was a mistake and it gets resolved. Trophies are petty by nature. Locking the platinum behind a deluxe edition is pettier.

xrnzaaas

This was bullshit even before they announced the trophy list. They're basically feeding off the biggest fans, because they know they will want to play as Max again and they have to buy the more expensive Deluxe Edition (which costs more than the first game which had more episodes).

My response to this will be not buying the game until it's on a sale. Sorry, as much as I love LiS I won't be treated this way. ;)

I see 35 trophies all related to Episodes 1-3 except
Farewell
and the Platinum. If that's the base game as you say, then you'll get the platinum from episodes 1-3 according to both those links. Unless you're saying
Farewell
is Max episode exclusive?

Farewell is Max's episode.

Deluxe Edition contains:
- The main game (Episodes 1-3).
- Bonus Episode: ‘Farewell’ - play one last time as a young Max Caulfield in a special bonus episode.
- Exclusive New Mixtape Mode – Design your own playlist from the Life is Strange licensed soundtrack and listen to it alongside a cinematic scene from the game.
- Exclusive outfit pack - Change up Chloe's look with three new complete outfits: Punk Doe, Hawt Dawg Man & Illuminati outfits.

HardRojo

Will wait for a physical edition anyway, loved the first one thanks to PS+, and while the voices kind of suck here, I'll still give it a try.
Someone must have fucked up as DLC trophies shouldn't count for the Platinum.

zelas

Farewell is Max's episode.

Deluxe Edition contains:
- The main game (Episodes 1-3).
- Bonus Episode: ‘Farewell’ - play one last time as a young Max Caulfield in a special bonus episode.
- Exclusive New Mixtape Mode – Design your own playlist from the Life is Strange licensed soundtrack and listen to it alongside a cinematic scene from the game.
- Exclusive outfit pack - Change up Chloe's look with three new complete outfits: Punk Doe, Hawt Dawg Man & Illuminati outfits.

Thanks. I came across this as well:

Life Is Strange: Before The Storm's Platinum Trophy Requires the Deluxe Edition

Did they accidently include DLC trophies as part of base game trophies?
Well, I mean, technically all the episodes past the first one are DLC, it's just that with the original Life is Strange they were allowed to make the subsequent episodes part of the main game trophy-wise and give it a platinum. This was different from how Telltale's initial release of Walking Dead season 2 was for example, where the first episode was the base game and the subsequent episodes added their own DLC trophies (and no platinum).

I guess we won't know how exactly this is set up until someone gets their hand on it.

xrnzaaas

The standard edition is so pointless. Everyone who played the original is going to want to play the Max chapter.

Exactly, the standard edition is just there for show, what they expect is for everyone to pay more for this game than for the original despite having less episodes this time around.

Imo Sony should react to this (if they even care), because I don't remember any other game that would prevent you from scoring a platinum if you bought the basic version. All the extra content (day1 included) should be listed as DLC trophies and not counted towards the platinum.

Wait, a full quarter of the game's content is locked behind a supposed "deluxe edition," an entire episode that anyone interested in a Life Is Strange prequel is obviously going to want to play? Isn't that the bigger story here?

xrnzaaas

Wait, a full quarter of the game's content is locked behind a supposed "deluxe edition," an entire episode that anyone interested in a Life Is Strange prequel is obviously going to want to play? Isn't that the bigger story here?

We don't know yet how big that bonus episode will be. It may as well turn out to be some minor thing that's not worth the upgrade (if you don't care about trophies ;)).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If true, it's fucked up.

But I've pre-ordered the deluxe anyway .. so .. eh.

Kyrios

Hopefully it's an oversight and they can just patch it to make an optional DLC list for the Max episode. Otherwise yeah it's pretty sketchy.

For now I'm going to believe this is an honest mistake, because it seems to contradict well-established policy.

However, as someone who had planned to purchase the game at launch, I am not going to do so until this is remedied. This game is already struggling with the perception of being a cash-in, and frankly I do not want to support it bringing down the entire franchise if the devs are going to be this careless. If they correct their error, then I'll reconsider.

SE Toby

Neo Member
Hi everyone,

Official Community Manager for Life is Strange and self-professed platinum hunter here, so I can understand your frustration.

We are looking into this and we hope to have more information next week.

carlsojo

Hi everyone,

Official Community Manager for Life is Strange and self-professed platinum hunter here, so I can understand your frustration.

Thanks!

Figured it wasn't intended.

Kyrios

Hi everyone,

Sounds great, thanks for looking into this!

True Fire

Hi everyone,

Fast responses are always A+. It's good that this was caught early haha

You don't need to unlock all trophies to get Platinum. Perhaps all the base trophies, but DLC trophies are counted separately.

Hi everyone,

Toby, all you need to ensure is that these additional chapters are counted as DLCs, and the base trophies need to be counted separately.

Please see "Rocket League" for example on how to handle this. Best of luck.

Fisty

So the platinum trophy is DLC. Interesting. I'm assuming it's a goof, and will probably be fixed before launch.

Hi everyone,

I'll echo the thanks for a speedy reply. Looking forward to what will hopefully be a smooth launch.

EDIT:
Another statement from Twitter indicating this was just an honest mistake that the devs are working on rectifying.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/GameOverGreggy/status/898658173854167042[/tweet]

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh they're correcting it! Nice, I'm glad that they're being honest and open about it.

I'm getting the deluxe edition anyway. It's been pre-ordered since E3.

SE Toby

Neo Member
Thanks for your understanding everyone - as mentioned above, this was a mistake on our side and we are talking to first parties to fix it. It was never our intention to locked the Platinum trophy behind the Deluxe edition's Bonus episode.

Thanks for your understanding everyone - as mentioned above, this was a mistake on our side and we are talking to first parties to fix it. It was never our intention to locked the Platinum trophy behind the Deluxe edition's Bonus episode.

Thanks for the quick response. Really looking forward to this, plat trophy or not.

SE Toby

Neo Member
Quick update on this issue -

We are happy to officially confirm the PS Platinum trophy/XB 1000g will not be gated behind the Deluxe Edition of Life is Strange: Before the Storm. This fix will be implemented alongside the release of Episode Two.

Thanks for your patience and understanding, in the meantime, we hope you enjoy Episode One of Life is Strange: Before the Storm!

Top Bottom