• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life is Strange live-action series being developed by Dontnod, Legendary and dj2

PsionBolt

Please feature at least one episode which is an exact repeat of the events of the previous episode, but entirely re-shot, with absolutely no reused footage.

If you don't, Endless Eight will remain the pinnacle of the Groundhog Day genre.

If done right this could be pretty good, but idk the checking out of all the consequences of choices on a live action joint could get boring after a few times, especially because it's not you yourself making the choice.

Moofers

Life Is Strange deserves all the success it can get, in whatever form it surfaces. I look forward to seeing the show!

HMD

When they say "digital series" do they mean Netflix "digital series" or low budget youtube series crap?

_woLf

This is going to make certain choices canon.

I don't like this. I'd rather it be a different story or season 2 of the game.

Whoa buddy. Didn't see that coming but day one.

A lot of netizens and shippers are going to fucking war when the show implies a canon relationship and ending to the story.

Clegg

Reuse the in game soundtrack. The use indie music fit the setting so well.

Chloe dancing to Sparklehorse must be in this show.

Cth

Here's hoping whoever they cast as Chloe actually makes the character likable.

Worst part of the game for me.

DylanEno

Hope the ending for this is better than the games.
What was wrong with the ending?

the save Arcadia bay ending was one of the most crushing, emotionally devastating yet satisfying endings I've experienced in a video game. Realizing that everything led up to this moment and that you, in fact, couldn't play god after all... Having to watch max sit there and listen to her best friend die one final time, helpless to do anything about it even despite her powers... The PERFECTly fitting music accompanying the entire sequence... The shot of her standing by the lighthouse watching the sun set in her black dress... The funeral... The butterfly... That final look of acceptance on her face... It was so sad, so beautiful, so good.

I don't get how it's such a subject for criticism. The Save Chloe ending, absolutely. That was trash. But the other ending was just soooo amazing.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So nice to see LIS is doing great.

Hella cool.

the save Arcadia bay ending was one of the most crushing, emotionally devastating yet satisfying endings I've experienced in a video game. Realizing that everything led up to this moment and that you, in fact, couldn't play god after all... Having to watch max sit there and listen to her best friend die one final time, helpless to do anything about it even despite her powers... The PERFECTly fitting music accompanying the entire sequence... The shot of her standing by the lighthouse watching the sun set in her black dress... The funeral... The butterfly... That final look of acceptance on her face... It was so sad, so beautiful, so good.

I don't get how it's such a subject for criticism. The Save Chloe ending, absolutely. That was trash. But the other ending was just soooo amazing.

The final episode just soured the entire thing for me.

I felt my choices did not matter once you had to choose between Ending A or Ending B. You save Arcadia, all those choices you made no longer matter. You save Chloe, all those choices don't matter cause they all died. And it just left me scratching my head wondering why she even was given those powers and how they figured Chloe living is what was causing all those problems. I mean, Max had the vision of Arcadia being destroyed before she even saved Chloe the first time. And just a lot of other little details like how Max was having all these nose bleeds using her powers but in the end there was no pay off to that, she was completely fine.

But that's just my personal feeling!

SpotAnime

I'm super excited for this. The game mechanics, story and characters would translate really well to a live-action series. I'll watch this day 1.

Can't come soon enough.

A-V-B

Frankly, I felt like the whole thing where Chloe "had to die" was out of left field. It didn't make any sense whatsoever. It was just... uh, we kinda feel like this is what it is? So this is what it is now. Like, it was done entirely as an aesthetic.

DylanEno

Frankly, I felt like the whole thing where Chloe "had to die" was out of left field. It didn't make any sense whatsoever. It was just... uh, we kinda feel like this is what it is? So this is what it is now. Like, it was done entirely as an aesthetic.
Throughout the entire game, what's the one theme that kept repeating? Terrible shit. Namely, Chloe dying. It was foreshadowed from the get-go with the first thing you witness when you start up the game being Mother Nature wreaking havoc. The main theme of the story is about Max trying to play God by saving her friend. And at the end of the day, you can't do that (without continuing to ruin everything - making the save Chloe option such a dumb, horrible ending).

Having experienced that ending after a second playthrough (my first being save Chloe), witnessing that realization and linking it back to everything prior, it all made so much sense and succeeded in making the ending all the more heartbreaking. And that's coming from somebody who hates Chloe Price.

So, yeah, it made all the sense in the world, imo.

Oh Deer!

Throughout the entire game, what's the one theme that kept repeating? Terrible shit. Namely, Chloe dying. It was foreshadowed from the get-go with the first thing you witness when you start up the game being Mother Nature wreaking havoc. The main theme of the story is about Max trying to play God by saving her friend. And at the end of the day, you can't do that (without continuing to ruin everything - making the save Chloe option such a dumb, horrible ending).

Having experienced that ending after a second playthrough (my first being save Chloe), witnessing that realization and linking it back to everything prior, it all made so much sense and succeeded in making the ending all the more heartbreaking. And that's coming from somebody who hates Chloe Price.

Yeah,
letting Chleo dying is the best ending, she is supposed to die but Max's will to save her was so strong it created an anomaly with great repercutions,we are basically playing a "what if" scenario to discovering what really happened in the town, max didnt allowed the flow of time fix everything but Max have to do that now. Letting chloe die would fix everything eventually in a short term and with less risks.

Like I said in my post, it didn't make sense since Max had the vision of destruction before she saved Chloe. Would have made more sense if she only started having the vision after she saved her.

Well the good news is that it can probably be done on a tight budget.

The bad news is that I think the script would need massive retooling or expanding in order to justify the show being made.

I never really had the feeling of "I wish they had done more with..." after finishing the game,I guess maybe they can lean into Rachel and the spiritual side of time powers a bit more in the show

Well the good news is that it can probably be done on a tight budget.

The bad news is that I think the script would need massive retooling or expanding in order to justify the show being made.

I never really had the feeling of "I wish they had done more with..." after finishing the game,I guess maybe they can lean into Rachel and the spiritual side of time powers a bit more in the show

Nothing but flashbacks about everyone backstory.

Kadayi

Banned
Casting is the real question.

Having just watched The Neon Demon I could see Ella Fanning as Victoria (though she's need to lose the hair).

DylanEno

The final episode just soured the entire thing for me.

I felt my choices did not matter once you had to choose between Ending A or Ending B. You save Arcadia, all those choices you made no longer matter. You save Chloe, all those choices don't matter cause they all died. And it just left me scratching my head wondering why she even was given those powers and how they figured Chloe living is what was causing all those problems. I mean, Max had the vision of Arcadia being destroyed before she even saved Chloe the first time. And just a lot of other little details like how Max was having all these nose bleeds using her powers but in the end there was no pay off to that, she was completely fine.

But that's just my personal feeling!
I can definitely empathize with a lot of your arguments and feel like it was probably a result of time constraints / the episodic format. That being said, it's still not really an excuse for not explaining WHY she got these powers to begin with.

But at the same time... Idk. That's life, tbh - we don't always get answers. In fact, we hardly ever do. So, while it felt somewhat disappointing in that regard, it also felt that much more authentic to reality, as potentially dumb as that may sound, haha. Idk, it works for me, but I totally get if you don't share that viewpoint.

The whole "your choices don't matter" thing - that seems to be a flaw that encompasses the genre as a whole. And I feel like, for LiS, it's not really choices that are building toward dramatically affecting the ending... But rather decisions that shape the way you experience the present (the future to a much lesser degree). Like, if you're mean to Victoria when she gets paint on her, that presents a different sort of attitude between max and her and has brief influences on subsequent moments. That's the game. The game is changing to slight degrees depending on the choices you make. And that is still a way of engaging the player and making things interesting enough. IMO, anyway.

It doesn't matter to me that choosing to cover for Chloe or stay hidden in the closet doesn't effect the overall outcome of the game. The writers had a story to tell and allowed to experience different narrative shades, but overall it was always leading toward one of 2 endings. And I'm OK with that.

Again, totally understood if you don't see it that way.

As for the rest of what I didn't cover, I already expressed the whole reasoning behind Chloe living messing up Arcadia bay thing in the earlier post - max playing God and all that. If you're interested in that, you can check that post out - not gonna repeat myself here, haha.

DylanEno

Like I said in my post, it didn't make sense since Max had the vision of destruction before she saved Chloe. Would have made more sense if she only started having the vision after she saved her.
Right, but like I said, the game starts with that foreshadowing to evoke the feeling of disaster if you try to play God the way max did with Chloe. I can see how it would have made more sense if they simply did that afterward, but idk, it works for me. It begins with the signal of Arcadia bay being destroyed if Chloe lives and ends with Chloe dying and Arcadia Bay remaining; a reflection of both endings.

There was obliviously something supernatural going on from the onset, so the logical fallacies didn't really bother me, especially considering there was a fair bit more of it. I get your point, though!

Top Bottom