• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII launches in Japan with low sales of 277k

Zabant

Now I'm really curious to see if FFX HD collection (PS3+Vita) can beat LR:FFXIII's first week.

The suits will see this and start funding more remakes, as SE is a very reactionary company.

Time will tell if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Not going to lie, I would be endlessly happy if a AAA reworked, fully voice acted FFVIII (that's right, three I's) came out for PS4.

Jarmel

Banned
XV's script is handled by a different team.

Kazushige Nojima (Scenario Writer) worked on FFVII, FFVIII, FFX, KH1.

Jun Akiyama (Event Director) worked on

FF VII
FF Tactics
FF Tactics:WoTL
FF Tactics Advance
FFXII
FFXIV:ARR
Vagrant Story
KH1

That right there is already a lot more promising than what FFXIII had, in Toriyama and Watanabe.

If XV ends up sucking then might as well just close down the company.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Story: FFIX > FFXIII
Music: FFIX > FFXIII
Character Design: FFXIII > FFIX
Battle System: FFXIII > FFIX

Asd202

So the decline of Mario 3d World is also connected to it sucking and people not being interested in Mario anymore.

Or maybe... it's also a combination of a declining home market in Japan? Twist plotto?

Than why did XIII sell almost 2 million on the same console? Go home Perfo you're drunk :p

Oh my god, according to what I'm seeing on google Dirge of Cerberus outsold this game's first week sales.

THIS GAME SOLD WORSE THAN DIRGE OF CERBERUS

Now this is hilarious.

Story: FFIX > FFXIII
Music: FFIX > FFXIII
Character Design: FFXIII > FFIX
Battle System: FFXIII > FFIX

You know I enjoyed IX character designs they were something different so IX>XIII for me in that regard.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
That would certainly send a message loud and clear.

Oh my god, according to what I'm seeing on google Dirge of Cerberus outsold this game's first week sales.

THIS GAME SOLD WORSE THAN DIRGE OF CERBERUS
In all fairness, Vincent is badass.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Oh please stop with this nonsense. If a game is bad then it should bomb. If a company consistently makes bad games then they should fail or reevaluate their efforts. Dont say bullshit like saying, "we shouldnt want a game to fail." If we went in with this mindset then the market would be filled with shit games and we would give freepasses to everyone. Just stop

It has finally happened.

We are in a world where the sequel of a mainline Tales game (Xillia 2's debut of 360k) can outsell a sequel of a mainline Final Fantasy game.
And I'm glad to see that happen. Tales has long been a noteworthy franchise in Japan. That most Westerners were late to discovering along with Dragon Quest due to poorer localization than Final Fantasy.

I've always wanted to see Tales grow and get greater recognition. It doesn't surprise me that Tales has sold better than Final Fantasy in Japan. It has always been pretty well known. Though it still hasn't been quite as popular as Final Fantasy.

So to see it grow to become more of a flagship franchise in Japan than Final Fantasy, and grow in success and popularity like this makes me very happy. I've hoped for Tales to become more successful than Final Fantasy since the 32-bit era.

I hope that the same can start to become true in the West.

Storytelling/OST/Art Style/Lore/Bosses/Paradigm System.

Storytelling? Disagree here. The lore wrote up in the menus was better than how it was presented onscreen. Some of the worst dialogue I have seen in a long time.

OST. Actually ok. I can concede this having listened to it several times. Too much orchestra and not enough melodies though.

Art Style - yeah it was a pretty game but the world was fragmented as hell. I like coherrent connected worlds ALA Dark Souls

Bosses - Figure out how to inflict Break status.. Rinse repeat.

Paradigm System - Neat idea, poor execution. Very few ways to skin a cat in fights.

MechaX

So the decline of Mario 3d World is also connected to it sucking and people not being interested in Mario anymore.

Or maybe... it's also a combination of a declining home market in Japan? Twist plotto?

Japan likes 3D Mario about as much as they like Sonic these days (whih is not at all).

Also, there are so many things wrong with trying to use the Wii U as a barometer of the state of the home market.

I've always wanted to see Tales grow and get greater recognition. It doesn't surprise me that Tales has sold better than Final Fantasy in Japan. It has always been pretty well known. Though it still hasn't been quite as popular as Final Fantasy.

I would indeed like to see Tales get more popularity. And I think that it's pretty telling that SE decides to focus on XIII right when Namco finally discovered where the Tales fanbase was (on PS3) after platform hopping in the first half of the generation.

With that said, it seems more of a hollow victory for Tales; it prevailed in popularity over a series that SE should have seen the writing on the wall; Lightning is not nearly as popular as some people here seem to think.

Awntawn

Any normal logical publisher would see this and realize their product is a piece of shit that nobody wants, and make sure the people who were in charge of it are never in charge of another big project again *coughcoughKitaseandToriyamacough*

SE is going to see this and conclude that console games no longer sell and that they should focus entirely on mobile.

BumRush

Uhhhh disagree entirely

yeah FF9 had slower combat but it was 10 times more interesting that XIII could ever hope to be

Not to mention all the layers added on by actual functioning and varied abilities, equipment combos, etc...

As far as FFXIII selling better than its sequels... its because we didn't know it sucked at first. We all bought into it the first time. The sequels.. though mechanically better had the stink on them by sticking with the same broken characters and uninteresting story/world

they would have been better off to scrap everything and move on

Completely agree...fast paced =/= better...

pulsemyne

The home console market in japan is dead. Even Mario sold low numbers and that's one of the greatest games made. The only thing japan wants is mobile games/systems. The only place the home console can survive is in America and Europe. Games for those systems from Japanese devs will become increasingly western in style.
The release of the PS4 is not something I can see changing the trend of declining home console sales. Sad but true.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Than why did XIII sell almost 2 million on the same console? Go home Perfo you're drunk :p

Because it was 5 yrs ago bro. A century ago in this market.

It's obvious to everyone knowing the market a bit that Japan is slowing leaving the home console market for 100% a portable reign. Sure this is a third chapter in an already not-that-loved series but don't think that's all there is to it. FFXIII released today would never be able to sell as much as it did in 2009. The home market in Japan is simply vanishing. PS4, One and Wii U will be its tomb.

elyetis

To be fair, Dark Souls isn't Final Fantasy.
Yup and apparently that difference is '270k sales, see there is a market for that kind of game, we need more of them !' versus '270k sales, absolutly no one wanted that game ( they all had a gun pointed at their so to make them buy it probably )'.

Or it comes from the budget maybe, since every single thread about LR explained how it was all new big quality asset, a big dev time and all, must be it.

Kyon

Banned
Are the SHARTning Stans ready for December 26th?

tumblr_msui9cgwvx1qz8roeo1_250.gif

Jarmel

Banned

It's obvious to everyone knowing the market a bit that Japan is slowing leaving the home console market for 100% a portable reign. Sure this is a third chapter in an already not-that-loved series but don't think that's all there is to it. FFXIII released today would never be able to sell as much as it did in 2009. The home market in Japan is simply vanishing. PS4, One and Wii U will be its tomb.

Well we'll find out when XV comes out.

Zhao_Yun

Finally it's over. I hope SE learns its lesson and does not plan sequels for FFXV and focuses on the development of FFXVI for the same generation instead. Would be great to have more than one Non-MMO Main-Title in one generation again. If one considers the fact that FFXV is "only" FFvXIII with another name we haven't really seen anything "new" in regards to FF Main-Titles since the announcement of FFXIII and FFvXIII in 2006...

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Not surprising, really. Most people expected this game to sell really poorly. I wonder what reception it will get in the west.

CHC

This will just be an excuse for them to
shy away from real full-fledged games and just go deeper into mobile / online / whatever.

Happy to see that the fatigue with this now shitty series is not mine to bear alone, but unhappy that this will ultimately only mean worse things for Square.

Lain

Disappointing sales but expected, all considered.
I won't deny I was hoping it'd do better, but I don't care too much, since this was the last installment in the FFXIII saga anyways and I'm just glad I was given another game featuring Lightning.

daniels

If FF7 was released today it'll be considered a shit.

Perfo... :(
I will buy lightning returns day one because the battlesystem and the hard difficult look fucking AMAZING :) and i am sure XV will be awesome as well.

And FF7 is still KING (gamefaq challanges and Tifas Bootleg :D) the gameplay, events and atmosphere are still without equal.

Perfo

Anyway I'm ready to buy 277k LR: FFXIII more to save my waifu. Anyone joining?

Yup and apparently that difference is '270k sales, see there is a market for that kind of game, we need more of them !' versus '270k sales, absolutly no one wanted that game ( they all had a gun pointed at their so to make them buy it probably )'.

Or it comes from the budget maybe, since every single thread about LR explained how it was all new asset, a big dev time and all, must be it.

Final Fantasy could take a few lessons form Dark Souls though. Heck they used to do some of the great things Dark Souls does so right

- Every piece of equipment matters
- Treasure Hunting is Fun
- Connecting and Detail oriented Design, Characters and World
- Fantastic and eye catching fantasy designs
- Lots of secrets, subtley, strategy, and endless customization

Stuff that is very lost in FFXIII

DC1

:lol you guys are too much. Its good to see people happy in a XIII thread for a change though.

I really hope XV sucks and bombs so people can feel how hard it is to be a fan of something that everyone else hates in here.

It will be like a personal vendetta.

sobbing.gif
sobbing.gif
sobbing.gif

It won't happen though :(
It's OK.
I'll buy Lightning part 3.... However more so because I platted the first two and am now compelled to see how it all ends.

For the record FF13-1 is by far my favorite of the two. I'm just hoping the third can meet my lowered expectations.

...I keep telling myself "...Please be excited"

Dark_castle

And I'm glad to see that happen. Tales has long been a noteworthy franchise in Japan. That most Westerners were late to discovering along with Dragon Quest due to poorer localization than Final Fantasy.

So to see it grow to become more of a flagship franchise in Japan than Final Fantasy, and grow in success and popularity like this makes me very happy. I've hoped for Tales to become more successful than Final Fantasy since the 32-bit era.

I hope that the same can start to become true in the West.

First step is to stop recycling environment like mad. I'm looking at you, Tales of Xillia.

Hardly surprising. I've been saying it for months, FFX HD will outsell it by far. I hope SE got the message, though at this point it doesn't matter because this was the last we were gonna see from XIII anyway.

Hazanko

Banned
Oh please stop with this nonsense. If a game is bad then it should bomb. If a company consistently makes bad games then they should fail or reevaluate their efforts. Dont say bullshit like saying, "we shouldnt want a game to fail." If we went in with this mindset then the market would be filled with shit games and we would give freepasses to everyone. Just stop

Agreed, I'm sick of hearing that nonsense as well. It's not up to the consumers to try and prop up a business. If they make stupid decisions then they should be the ones to pay for it. I'm not going to buy a game that I think is going to be crap. If Square Enix ends up going to mobile, so be it.

Perfo

Final Fantasy could take a few lessons form Dark Souls though. Heck they used to do some of the great things Dark Souls does so right

- Every piece of equipment matters
- Treasure Hunting is Fun
- Connecting and Detail oriented Design, Characters and World
- Fantastic and eye catching fantasy designs
- Lots of secrets, subtley, strategy, and endless customization

Stuff that is very lost in FFXIII

Hey but that's Lightning Returns in a nutshell!

Rootbeer

Banned
Come on SE, in light of these sales, how about you cut the price for the NA release down to 49.99? Heck, Nintendo's not too good for it, why should you be?

survivor

Banned
How many other franchises this gen saw huge decline after each sequel? It's just sad to see how badly SE has handled FF these past 4 years.

Asd202

Mario doesn't sell well because it's on WiiU a console which has low install base and sells like shit. LR is on PS3 a console on which it predecesor almost sold 2 million with an install base 9.5 million. The console are not vanishing there still there, PS3 sales around 12k every week. It's just that people don't want to get those FF games. Saying that's it just connected to the market is wrong it's about the game.

MechaX

Some of the damage control done by... well, you know who, really disturbs me.

Like, it's always "the home market in Japan is shrinking" rather than just admitting that perhaps the audience is just not interested in the XIII universe anymore. I mean, relying on the former so much ignores the elephant in the room that it was outsold by Grand Theft Auto V of all things.

Top Bottom