• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Like A Dragon: The Man Who Erased His Name - Will Also Not Have Phyical Release In West - Digital Only.

If you want to bend over and spread your cheeks wide so companies can charge you more and fuck you of your rights for the sake of “convenience”, that’s your prerogative. But you don’t get to dictate terms to everyone.
So dramatic.

The ONLY reason physical still exists is because it was a necessity in the past. If gaming had begun today, there never would have been pointless discs and empty plastic boxes. It's the same as the 10 old people still getting a newspaper.

It doesn't matter if he gets to dictate terms or not. You don't either. Sony, Microsoft and publishers do, and they will most likely get rid of these pointless costs and unnecessary steps next generation. Better learn to cope.

And don't tell me, you will "quit gaming", when that happens. That's just more dramatics. I won't believe you and neither will Sony and Microsoft.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Hopefully in europe they will have a Physical version, otherwise i just have to wait for a promo or to be droped on PS+. I like to support the Yakuza series with my money day 1, but im not supporting the death of physical options.
EU is getting a physical copy too, just digital only in NA.

Aenima

EU is getting a physical copy too, just digital only in NA.
Hobby Consolas is a very old magazine so if they really confirmed that there will be a PEGI physical version i believe them. But I only rest easy when i see the pre-order available in the stores i usually buy my games. Also this still sucks for ppl in murica. Kinda reminds me the time i had to import the american version of some games cuz they skipped the release in europe. Like Jeanne D'Ark for PSP.

EDMIX

If it has English subtitles you can import it but I haven't a feeling it won't. Honestly if it's an all digital future depending on how the next year goes I'm likely going to sell my ps5 and go all in on PC because at least I can hack my collection and keep it, I'm not giving anyone this level of control on consoles for the sake of a "cL0sEd ecOsYsTeM"

Well, I can understand some basic Japanese so I might import it (my fault for not studying harder mind you and maybe this is a good thing to get me reading more lol)

So we either playing in Japanese or we playing in Spanish....but we playing a physical version, I too have no desire to see this happen in the console space. Cause even if they wanted to save money, they can still include the English subtitles to those other versions cause clearly that exist as it coming out with all that digital. So if they want to have a limited release or something, I have no issue with that, but to go out of their way to have less options in this market is a bit silly, the Bluray disk can very much hold the information for the sub-titles that will be in the digital version anyway lol So if they did omit that in the Japanese and Spanish releases of this title, there is a intent to stop the western market from buying it physical for a reason that has NOTHING to actually do with "cost", as why remove a feature that would allow it to sell more copies?

edit. Based on what Y YCoCg is saying, if it indeed is in the EU too, this is done on purpose and has nothing to do with cost lol I'll end up importing it.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Good. As I predicted, physical stuff is slowly fading out. Only a matter of time. Digital is too convenient and faster anyways, games are pre loaded and no need to wait to put disks in and then sit for another 10 minute install.

Also with games costing more money, cutting costs on discs and front covers and boxes makes sense.

Alan Wake 2 - No physical
Like a Dragon - No physical

Thank lord, who's next?
ross-paolo.gif

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So dramatic.

The ONLY reason physical still exists is because it was a necessity in the past. If gaming had begun today, there never would have been pointless discs and empty plastic boxes. It's the same as the 10 old people still getting a newspaper.

It doesn't matter if he gets to dictate terms or not. You don't either. Sony, Microsoft and publishers do, and they will most likely get rid of these pointless costs and unnecessary steps next generation. Better learn to cope.

And don't tell me, you will "quit gaming", when that happens. That's just more dramatics. I won't believe you and neither will Sony and Microsoft.

No. This is pants on head retarded levels of shit you posted

Physical exists as it is the easiest way to release games to the wider market. Billions of individuals do not have high quality internet and live in regions with data caps, unable to download modern AAA games due to the sheer size. There is a reason why “limited run physicals” are massive business today and more and more companies pop up to provide this service.

Also before the same tired excuse of “most games are incomplete and require downloads “ is uttered: no. That is a blatant lie. The vast majority of games are playable day one with zero downloads needed.

Clowns like yourself continue to openly spread your cheeks to anticonsumer practices. You are what is wrong with the industry

Guess I gonna miss out then. Their problem not mine. First title ever I will miss but so be it. I think most day one (I mean the both ps2 games) supporters like me are their to collect those games also. Maybe they will feel some sales lost and reconsider for the upcoming releases.
Exactly right. We all have plenty of games to play, so we should show some courage and not buy this and Alan Wake 2 and show the devs not to pull this anti-consumer shit on the people who are the reason they have a job in the first place.

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
It's curious that Japan still gets physical releases, even though living space there is at a premium. Any thoughts?

Are they trying to fleece the West?!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I look at playasia, it is kind of a budget title at aroudn 30-40/

Well now, the US PSN store has it at $49.99.

If the JP version is confirmed to have English subtitles *and* it's $10 cheaper, makes it the easy instant choice for me.

Fabieter

Is this a threat? No one cares.

A threat to who? Sega? Sony? Doubt that read it. Its just my stand, Iam already on pc and the main reason for consoles to still stick around is physical media. No need to get defensive for people to get less choice in the future.

How do digital guys fight over people liking physical media is something else.

adamsapple

have to account for shipping tii

That's true, but based on my previous purchases with play-asia, it should amount to be the same as the current western price, so it's not like I'd be paying a premium.

Just waiting for confirmation on the subtitles.

This doesn't make sense unless Ishin bombed (which i think it probably did). If this is the norm for Yakuza then i'm dropping the franchise. I'll probably play it once it's on PS Now or Gamepass.

EDMIX

That's true, but based on my previous purchases with play-asia, it should amount to be the same as the current western price, so it's not like I'd be paying a premium.

Same.

Or I'm about to get LEARNED!

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
dont forget MH Rise is digital only too on PS and XB, and with Sony rumored to release a new PS5 with optional disk drive, yah the industry is certainly heading that way.

Sucks to be the losing side I guess. Me I’ll be playing that LAD game from my comfy bed on my Steam Deck

Metnut

It’s a side story game and Ishin didn’t sell well so I can understand why they are being conservative here.

IMO, it’s the wrong move though. This is a main plot line canon Kiryu game and I think it’ll do better than Ishin.

I won’t buy it day 1, but I do want to play this before Yakuza 8 comes, so I’ll probably wait for the first price drop or two and pick it up for $39.99ish.

StereoVsn

Well, I guess I am waiting for a big sale. I have multiple copies of virtually every Yakuza game (PS2, PS3 PS4, etc... Japanese release, and Steam).

This one will be the exception. I will still grab it but at a discount and down the line. 🤦‍♂️

adamsapple

It’s a side story game and Ishin didn’t sell well so I can understand why they are being conservative here.

IMO, it’s the wrong move though. This is a main plot line canon Kiryu game and I think it’ll do better than Ishin.

I won’t buy it day 1, but I do want to play this before Yakuza 8 comes, so I’ll probably wait for the first price drop or two and pick it up for $39.99ish.

Huge Yakuza fan but yeah after so many of the main series, playing just a huge ass side quest the game doesnt feel very exciting. Doubt Ill touch this. Excited for the big one next year tho.

It's not really a 'side story' game, it's the connecting game between Like a Dragon and Like a Dragon 2, it will flesh out what Kiryu was doing during that time, he has a bigger role in the next Like a Dragon game instead of just a boss cameo.

Yeah they are shoving digital down our throats little by little. First games like Ninja Gaiden Collection. then Alan Wake 2, now Yakuza. Hopefully they’ll be a physical Japanese/Asian version released eventually.

StereoVsn

No, no, you are doing this wrong. Free shipping is if you spend $100, so you know what you must do, get 1-2 more games imported. ;)

adamsapple

No, no, you are doing this wrong. Free shipping is if you spend $100, so you know what you must do, get 1-2 more games imported. ;)

More importantly the page doesn't specify anywhere that it will have English subtitles at all :(

Personally kind of doubt it will, but there may be a separate Asian version with English subs.
Well, if it share same launch day, it would say it is likely as they don;t need to press 2different version. Remember all the pass like a dragon, judgement game have months if not year of gap time

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Well, if it share same launch day, it would say it is likely as they don;t need to press 2different version. Remember all the pass like a dragon, judgement game have months if not year of gap time
That would certainly be ideal. I would definitely import then. My Japanese is pretty rusty now days otherwise, lol. I got pretty good at one point, but it's been years.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

If Ishin didn’t sold well they wouldn’t have release this game digitially here. The more likely reason is Ishin didn’t sold well physically but sold well digitally.

So in a sense fans should thank digital folks because they are the one who bought Ishi and survive the series.

Top Bottom