• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games - Putting digital games into your hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm coming off as aggressive when I didn't mean to, so I'll just drop this.

It's all good - I've just seen people bringing this up regarding Mutant Mudds here and on other forums. We're not trying to milk money out of people - there just isn't a financially viable way to tie them together in a cheap collection on both platforms without requiring significant work from the developer.

hawk2025

It's all good - I've just seen people bringing this up regarding Mutant Mudds here and on other forums. We're not trying to milk money out of people - there just isn't a financially viable way to tie them together in a cheap collection on both platforms without requiring significant work from the developer.

I understand now, it's more about the double-pack not really being feasible on Vita -- which in turn would make a double pack inconsistent on the PS4.

hawk2025

Just to 100% confirm this - the Japanese DARIUSBURST Limited Edition does not have any kind of artbook, digital or physical. They have one extra ship model (P2 - P4 colors - we have P1 & P2) and that is the only difference outside of ours being English and individually numbered.

http://www.play-asia.com/dariusburst-chronicle-saviours-limited-edition/13/70as39

The box looks really sturdy on the LRG website -- is it a magnetic clasp? Kind of looks like it.

Edit: oh, nevermind, it opens on the left :)

Jamesac68

Banned
Mind if I ask why the LE box for DariusBurst is so big? I initially thought it was because there was an art book making it that size, and now it seems like a lot of space for game, CD, and two models.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Mind if I ask why the LE box for DariusBurst is so big? I initially thought it was because there was an art book making it that size, and now it seems like a lot of space for game, CD, and two models.

My guess is that the models are plamo and come in the page-sized plastic sheets.

Honestly, I have no idea. It was designed by Chara-Ani for the Japanese LE. Our box is the exact same size/shape (but it's in English). There's a nice full-color printed high-gloss interior tray and a figure box inside. The tray holds the game case and the soundtrack CD. I'd post a picture of the interior, but the assembly factory currently has my only assembled LE (they're currently putting them together and shrinkwrapping the finished products).

This was probably answered somewhile ago, but I could not find it: is the "PlayStation TV compatible" banner on the front required?" I'm glad for the clean boxart on the games, but that stuff always bothered me.

Because you're completely, completely, not understanding how expensive Vita cartridges are. If this was just PS4, sure, but it isn't. I'll say it again, Vita cartridges are expensive. We don't make much money on Vita games and we likely never will. If anything we'll make less money as time goes on and costs for the media rise. Rather than charge $50 on Vita and $30 on PS4 - I'd just prefer consistency and parity between the platforms in terms of cost and uniformity.

If we're selling two Vita cartridges for essentially the price of one - we might actually end up making negative money. This is the only financially viable approach on Vita. I realize that the Japanese Gundam game (which is $50) has two Vita cartridges, but keep in mind Namco and a few other big Japanese companies own their own factories for game production so they don't pay nearly as much as the little guys.

The cost of Vita carts is why I can't help but laugh when I hear that people are shocked by how much Switch carts cost to manufacture. It's nothing new - cartridges aren't cheap.

If it's the Gundam game I think you're talking about, that 2nd cart is basically just a glorified download code. There is no cart swapping, it's literally just "you need to install cart 2 to even be able to play using cart 1".

Saoshyant

If it's the Gundam game I think you're talking about, that 2nd cart is basically just a glorified download code. There is no cart swapping, it's literally just "you need to install cart 2 to even be able to play using cart 1".

How does that change the point being made about the price of carts?

I got Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae today.

The disc was out of its holder, though. Do I have to buy the shipping box to prevent this from happening?

Persona7

Banned
I got Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae today.

The disc was out of its holder, though. Do I have to buy the shipping box to prevent this from happening?

No, the PS4 cases are abysmal and this is extremely common. I once purchased a game at Target and the cashier had to go through five copies before I got one that wasn't loose.

No, the PS4 cases are abysmal and this is extremely common. I once purchased a game at Target and the cashier had to go through five copies before I got one that wasn't loose.
Oh yeah, I know they're awful -- but I'm wondering if people who have used the shipping box in the past have had better experiences. I know LRG is not apathetic toward the quality of their products.

I don't mind using the boxes if I know that this issue won't happen during shipping.

Ventara

Oh yeah, I know they're awful -- but I'm wondering if people who have used the shipping box in the past have had better experiences. I know LRG is not apathetic toward the quality of their products.

I don't mind using the boxes if I know that this issue won't happen during shipping.

Nah, boxes don't help the disc issue, from my experience.

Tamanator

Just read the Hardcoregamer interview. Hope that Switch releases do begin. I'd definitely jump fully onboard the Limited Run Games bandwagon then.

Now that I own a PS4, I can finally start paying attention to some of the upcoming releases. Keen on Dariusburst and Cosmic Star Heroine.

Oh, I totally forgot about the loose disc problem with PS4 games. Astebreed is my first PS4 limited run game. How common is this problem?
Is it only in the US? Because out of my 70 PS4 games, I never had a loose disc. They are all EU versions (except some japanese imports).

Oh, I totally forgot about the loose disc problem with PS4 games. Astebreed is my first PS4 limited run game. How common is this problem?
Is it only in the US? Because out of my 70 PS4 games, I never had a loose disc. They are all EU versions (except some japanese imports).

Happens to all games, all regions. It's not a "problem" though, PS4 discs do not scratch that easily. More like a small annoyance I guess. I'd say like 1 out of 10 games I buy has a loose disc.

You either got very lucky or just didn't notice when you opened them. It's more noticeable with LRG because people often keep them sealed.

Happens to all games, all regions. It's not a "problem" though, PS4 discs do not scratch that easily. More like a small annoyance I guess. I'd say like 1 out of 10 games I buy has a loose disc.

You either got very lucky or just didn't notice when you opened them. It's more noticeable with LRG because people often keep them sealed.

Ah, fingers crossed then.
I don't worry about scratches, because I know the discs won't get them that easily. But it would still suck, because I also keep their games sealed.

Just saw a method to "fix" a loose disc, but man, I wouldn't be brave enough to try it. Looks like you will destroy the case or the box art.

This was probably answered somewhile ago, but I could not find it: is the "PlayStation TV compatible" banner on the front required?" I'm glad for the clean boxart on the games, but that stuff always bothered me.

Nope, it's not required. As far as feature callouts go, there are ways around including them. If we do a VR game, I will make sure the horrid "You'll need these" thing doesn't make it on to the box.

Sony is very inconsistent with their art requirements anyways. I tried to do the disc for Thomas Was Alone without a publisher logo or game title, but they didn't allow it. iam8bit was allowed to do it with Hyper Light Drifter, though, so I don't really have a way to read Sony on this stuff.

hawk2025

Nope, it's not required. As far as feature callouts go, there are ways around including them. If we do a VR game, I will make sure the horrid "You'll need these" thing doesn't make it on to the box.

Sony is very inconsistent with their art requirements anyways. I tried to do the disc for Thomas Was Alone without a publisher logo or game title, but they didn't allow it. iam8bit was allowed to do it with Hyper Light Drifter, though, so I don't really have a way to read Sony on this stuff.

They might have skirted by due to the reversible cover with the logo, maybe?

Only thing I can think of. Seems weird to not allow any disc art!

I'd assume Shizuka means actual publishing, not just physical copy release.

Oh, right.

Considering it only seems to be an idea at this point, I'd say that's wishful thinking.

I presume they'll have to be really careful about what they pick as well. Because as much as I'd love them to chase after big Vita exclusives like Ukiyo no Roushi, it might not be financially viable for something like that even with their built-in audience.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Ohh, possible Switch releases from LRG? Awesome. As someone who went largely digital with PS4 and regretted it, I planned to keep Switch physical except when absolutely necessary. The lack of FAST RMX or Blaster Master Zero already stings, for instance.

Good luck!!

Persona7

Banned

No difference as far as I can tell.

Oh, right.

Considering it only seems to be an idea at this point, I'd say that's wishful thinking.

I presume they'll have to be really careful about what they pick as well. Because as much as I'd love them to chase after big Vita exclusives like Ukiyo no Roushi, it might not be financially viable for something like that even with their built-in audience.

It won't happen this year as it requires a lot of resources we don't currently have (importantly - someone fluent in Japanese and business to hash out licensing deals). It's something we're hoping to do in 2018. It'd have to start small with action focused games rather than text-heavy RPGs or VNs. It is something I certainly think we'll need to do to ensure Vita content continues to exist for a few more years. I think new indie stuff will start drying up in 2018.

Jamesac68

Banned
I can't do transcriptions anymore—it makes me want to blow my brains out. I just send stuff off to Rev and gladly pay the cost.

Three days! It took three days to do that, a couple hours at a time. I only do about one transcription a year, thankfully.

*listen*transcribe*back up a few seconds*re-listen*correct typos*re-relisten just in case*transcribe next part*repeat*

Thankfully 99% of that was Doug talking so I didn't have to listen to my own voice.

It won't happen this year as it requires a lot of resources we don't currently have (importantly - someone fluent in Japanese and business to hash out licensing deals). It's something we're hoping to do in 2018. It'd have to start small with action focused games rather than text-heavy RPGs or VNs. It is something I certainly think we'll need to do to ensure Vita content continues to exist for a few more years. I think new indie stuff will start drying up in 2018.

So your localization dreams include Vita? That's all I needed to hear.

I'm sure you can come to the community for suggestions of small action-focused games. Hopefully if it's successful you may be able to work your way up to bigger stuff. I just hope there's enough of a Vita market around next year to make such games viable.

joe2187

Banned
Battle Princess Madelyn hit it's Vita stretchgoal....and LRG announced the PS4 Version.

Is the Vita version being considered later?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom