• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linkedin Stalking: Mirada Studios worked on a Fallout 4 cinematic trailer

and seriously, guys, as much of a cynic as I can be I've got no doubt relevant people at Bethesda are more than aware of Fallout 3's criticisms among old or scrutinizing fans and will work toward addressing them. I don't see a single one of New Vegas's most important advances being omitted in Fallout 4. I've got high hopes for this shit.

ezekial45

Banned
Can someone edit Todd Howard over Kaz Hirari's face on this gif?

D7fXL0D.gif

and seriously, guys, as much of a cynic as I can be I've got no doubt relevant people at Bethesda are more than aware of Fallout 3's criticisms among old or scrutinizing fans and will work toward addressing them. I don't see a single one of New Vegas's most important advances being omitted in Fallout 4. I've got high hopes for this shit.

Except for the writing, atmosphere, and quest design.

Except for the writing, atmosphere, and quest design.

nah, I'm willing to believe that those involved with Fallout 4 have enough ambition not to ignore the aspects of Fallout 3 which drew the most criticism. I'm anticipating a beautiful and well written game with a stronger world more deeply rooted and aligned with pre-existing Fallout lore. It's been seven years since Fallout 3, I'm sure they've grown.

aajohnny

Yawn the good old Bethesda vs Obsidian comparison.

First off if it weren't for Bethesda both Fallout and Obsidians Fallout wouldn't exist... Interplay was going bankrupt and Bethesda bought the IP... why let it go to waste? it would have been gone along with Interplay.

Also... I'd hope Obsidian's Fallout would be "better" because they were handed the tech and so on. They didn't have to build a game from the ground up... you could focus so much time on other things when you don't have to do that. Also when you make a desert... well writing should be good because hell, to be honest I thought the world in New Vegas was boring as hell. Obsidian pretty much made an expansion for Fallout 3, did I enjoy it? sure, but I hate the Bethesda trashing because they didn't like the game or didn't fit into the lore... guess what Bethesda owns the IP, they can do whatever the hell they want with it! Why can't people just be happy Fallout still exists and stop trashing one developer because they don't like the game. If you didn't like Fallout or how Bethesda did it then you wouldn't have liked Obsidian's New Vegas because it was the same mechanics and type of game...

/Rant. Lol sorry.

nah, I'm willing to believe that those involved with Fallout 4 have enough ambition not to ignore the aspects of Fallout 3 which drew the most criticism. I'm anticipating a beautiful and well written game with a stronger world more deeply rooted and aligned with pre-existing Fallout lore. It's been seven years since Fallout 3, I'm sure they've grown.

Have they hired anyone from obsidian to do the writing? Didn't think so.

To the poster above, you know new Vegas is bigger than fallout 3 right?

The Fallout franchise was nothing before Bethesda took over. Fallout is only that well known around the world and gamers because THEY made the ip become successful, before it wasn't and without BGS it would have never been.

This is the only portion of your post that I take issue with, man. because before Fallout 3, Fallout 1 and 2 were notable for commonly being cited as the best CRPGs ever made. They were very successful games - perhaps not to the same degree as Fallout 3, but pretending like they were 'nothing' just because a new generation of gamers enjoys Fallout 3's take more is just... astounding.

I understand how you feel, man, but you gotta understand. Imagine if Metroid: Other M was a stronger action game at its core, at the expense of the series traditional non-linearity and progression structure. At the expense of exactly the things that put Metroid in the position where it has value as an IP to begin with. Now, imagine that that game lit the whole world on fire, and made Metroid relevant to millions of new people, more than ever before. That's cool, but that sure as hell wouldn't make Super Metroid 'nothing', ya know? And as a fan of Metroid I'd be almost offended by the insinuation...

Fallout 3 was full of Fallout Lore. Especially the side quest arcs

Odah

Banned
This is the only portion of your post that I take issue with, man. because before Fallout 3, Fallout 1 and 2 were notable for commonly being cited as the best CRPGs ever made. They were very successful games - perhaps not to the same degree as Fallout 3, but pretending like they were 'nothing' just because a new generation of gamers enjoys Fallout 3's take more is just... astounding.

I understand how you feel, man, but you gotta understand. Imagine if Metroid: Other M was a stronger action game at its core, at the expense of the series traditional non-linearity and progression structure. Now, imagine that that game lit the whole world on fire, and made Metroid relevant to millions of new people, more than ever before. That's cool, but that sure as hell wouldn't make Super Metroid 'nothing', ya know? And as a fan of Metroid I'd be almost offended by the insinuation...

Yeah, sorry for phrasing it like that, but at the time I posted you could say I was kinda salty since I think given what types of gaming companies we have out there (EA, Ubisoft, etc...) and putting Bethesda on the same level as them just made me abit angry. Fallout certainly WAS good before, I never denied that or something. I just wanted to say that Fallout got MUCH much bigger and more succesful with Bethesdas involment. The fact that so many people like this game now is due to them aquiring the IP.

Yeah, sorry for phrasing it like that, but at the time I posted you could say I was kinda salty since I think given what types of gaming companies we have out there (EA, Ubisoft, etc...) and putting Bethesda on the same level as them just made me abit angry. Fallout certainly WAS good before, I never denied that or something. I just wanted to say that Fallout got MUCH much bigger and more succesful with Bethesdas involment. The fact that so many people like this game now is due to them aquiring the IP.

Yea and what kind of garbage does the main stream like?

First off if it weren't for Bethesda both Fallout and Obsidians Fallout wouldn't exist... Interplay was going bankrupt and Bethesda bought the IP... why let it go to waste? it would have been gone along with Interplay.

They outbid Troika (old Obsidian) for the IP.

It's not like Bethesda was the only interested party. They simply had the most money.

The one recent rumor I'm particularly afraid of is that of the player-character being fully voiced.

This can go either way depending on how they handle it. Multiple voices with the option for 'Silent protag' would be preferable, I have absolutely nothing against voiced characters in that context. In the off chance that there isn't an option, there'll be mods that rectify the problem.

The player character doesn't really have much in the way of written dialogue as far as modern Bethesda is concerned. It's mostly just questions with NPC exposition dumps and there aren't really many dialog branches. So it could be a good opportunity for amateur voice actors and modders to supplant the PC's dialogue if they wanted.

OMG first next gen I'm incredibly hyped for. If anything will make me pull the trigger and buy a PS4/Xbone it's this game. PLEASE take advantage of the extra power and polish your games to the point where the engine isn't shitting itself Bethesda

rjinaz

Anyways, I just am wondering why there is the need to compare? let's just enjoy :D

Because every Fallout thread needs to turn into Bethesda vs Obsidian and Bethesda is shit. It's totally and always on topic!

On the upside at least these threads get more posting activity due to the people that hate the franchise or developer always making sure we are aware of their preference.

Anyway, I like that we got a confirmation here but I do feel bad for the worker. Got to be more careful it's 2015 mate.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Is that because Obsidian made a better game than Bethesda will ever be capable of?

This is laughable.

Obsidian stand on the shoulders of Giants. Without doing so, they come up with Alpha Protocol, which had some good elements yes, but Obsidian is not capable of the greatness of Bethesda with games like Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 4, and Skyrim behind them.

Top Bottom