• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 - Screens + PR (E3 2010)

noah111

Still Alive
Honestly I hope they support Move a lot more than they seem to be going to in this one.. Imagine playing a level and drawing out a shape to make a bridge, all while still playing (i.e. no pop-it). Or if they let level creators actually map motions to controls, like they do with the direct seat but for motion movements.. THAT would be a a whole new arena and propel Move forward incredibly..

gofreak said:
http://www.abload.de/img/lbp2-3dshooter1w3cl.jpg

My jaw literally went agape when this came on at the conference. Ditto for the RTS stuff...it actually looks like 'proper' RTS :lol

Holy shit at the second post..

:D

So I guess that's what magic glove is? :)

Excellent.

My mind is boggling at all the info in there...so many ramifications. I feel like I need to read it again...all these new toys and logic tools...the stuff people will come up with I can only imagine now. Also, TTP, your submarine just got a whole lot easier (gyroscope) :lol

I still have questions about how sackboy himself is flipped to be top-down though :p

Power Gloves may not make it into the game but they are real you can pick up anything and move between layers other sackboys too. the star fox like level is done with the new holograph material that act like gas it can pass into anything

he dont flip top down only in the Direct Control you can hide sackboy too

Move is DLC for LBP1 i think or was it LBP2 :/

awesome

they could make sequels or updates to this game forever.

this game saves this generation

I'm tired of seeing sequels for every other game

we need new ideas like this

I've just made a gif of the 3d shooter section, this really sets the sequel apart from the original:

2qx7uph.jpg

gofreak said:
Can you clarify this a bit? Some of the vids clearly show sackboys running around in a top-down way.

Just saw the gamejam video. http://www.youtube.com/user/MediaMolecule

Should have known wexfordian would be from, well, wexford :p

what you see is not really top down it is the level on its side as alway the back layer become the floor. what you see have Anti-gravity on it with Magic Joystick useing a direct control

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jump_button said:
what you see is not really top down it is the level on its side as alway the back layer become the floor. what you see have Anti-gravity on it with Magic Joystick useing a direct control

I understand the gravity bit, and using joystick to control him, but what I don't understand is that he appears 'flipped' - rotated to appear like you are looking at him from top-down. So you can flip sackboy? Or how do they make him look like that?

gofreak said:
I understand the gravity bit, and using joystick to control him, but what I don't understand is that he appears 'flipped' - rotated to appear like you are looking at him from top-down. So you can flip sackboy? Or how do they make him look like that?

you cant flip sackboy, in the direct control you can pick to see sackboy to siting in it top down but you have to be inside the direct control

jump_button said:
you cant flip sackboy, in the direct control you can pick to see sackboy to siting in it top down but you have to be inside the direct control
Would you be able to make the direct control vehicle invisible to at least give the impression that Sackboy is walking on the walls?

OgTheClever said:
Would you be able to make the direct control vehicle invisible to at least give the impression that Sackboy is walking on the walls?

Well the holograph material can be made invisible so yes, I cant see why not, But you can't make the control chair invisible or sackboy will be invisible.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jump_button said:

Ah, I understand now.

Do you know anything about those assets spotted in screenshots that looked like flipped top-down version of assets that are 'side-on' elsewhere? I guess they are just separate versions of the same object then?

One other thing, you say that you use antigrav to make something top down...but in the first videos, for example, they showed the top-down racer, where the cars would fall into the screen...that wouldn't work with antigrav, would it? Is there a way to specify the direction gravity goes in, like to tell it to go into the screen?

And finally, do you know how it is that say in the psychedelic shooter bit, how it is that there appears to be so much 'height' available? I presume this is working by flipping the camera around, but by doing so, what was previously the layers of depth along the z-axis becomes your 'height' y-axis. And there's a limited amount of distance that the layers occupy...so I'm wondering how it is you see sackboy swooping up and down as if there is way more distance suddenly along these axes? Did they make sackboy really small so it appears relatively like there's loads of space/height?

Sorry, I know these are very picky questions... :p

Stampy

jump_button said:
Well the holograph material can be made invisible so yes, I cant see why not, But you can't make the control chair invisible or sackboy will be invisible.

Maybe I am getting this wrong, but wouldn't it be awkward, it would seem like sackboy is flying on an invisible carpet? :/

gofreak said:
Ah, I understand now.

Do you know anything about those assets spotted in screenshots that looked like flipped top-down version of assets that are 'side-on' elsewhere? I guess they are just separate versions of the same object then?

One other thing, you say that you use antigrav to make something top down...but in the first videos, for example, they showed the top-down racer, where the cars would fall into the screen...that wouldn't work with antigrav, would it? Is there a way to specify the direction gravity goes in, like to tell it to go into the screen?

And finally, do you know how it is that say in the psychedelic shooter bit, how it is that there appears to be so much 'height' available? I presume this is working by flipping the camera around, but by doing so, what was previously the layers of depth along the z-axis becomes your 'height' y-axis. And there's a limited amount of distance that the layers occupy...so I'm wondering how it is you see sackboy swooping up and down as if there is way more distance suddenly along these axes? Did they make sackboy really small so it appears relatively like there's loads of space/height?

Sorry, I know these are very picky questions... :p

I didnt look to much into object but i think they just separate versions of the same object I dont real call any fliping object.

as for the cars well that done with movers you can set it so it acts like the back layer in the bottom

the psychedelic shooter is all fake it all on the back layers its the useing the holograph material and the emitters set to shrink and grow. They did show us the Logic but they was alot to take in for a min look lol

Stampy said:
Maybe I am getting this wrong, but wouldn't it be awkward, it would seem like sackboy is flying on an invisible carpet? :/

and i didnt say it would look ok

Man

OgTheClever said:
I've just made a gif of the 3d shooter section, this really sets the sequel apart from the original:

2qx7uph.jpg

This is mindblowing to me. The blue grid trail looks absolutely perfect.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jump_button said:
I didnt look to much into object but i think they just separate versions of the same object I dont real call any fliping object.

as for the cars well that done with movers you can set it so it acts like the back layer in the bottom

the psychedelic shooter is all fake it all on the back layers its the useing the holograph material and the emitters set to shrink and grow. They did show us the Logic but they was alot to take in for a min look lol

Cheers.

I was actually just reading IGN's preview where they alluded to how the psychedelic shooter bit was working, and I couldn't believe it, so had to go back to watch the footage again. But I can see know that indeed, with the fixed 'vanishing point' in the distance etc. it couldn't be working with a reorientated camera.

Closing out my demo, I got to see the techno-shooter that debuted at the E3 conference. Here, the camera is behind Sackboy's back, and he flies around this black world where neon objects pop up and he shoots them. It's trippy and cool, but I made Sony take me behind the scenes to see how it works. If you can picture a normal side-to-side LittleBigPlanet level, picture Sackboy starting in the center of it on and object. While it looks like he's flying into the background as you play the techno shooter, Sackboy's really always in the foreground. The neon objects that give the level depth are really just being generated in front of you. It's cool, but it's really complicated.

They are crazy, crazy people :lol

IGN talks a bit about the RTS example too:

The next kind of game we jumped into was the real-time strategy game that was briefly touched on during Sony's E3 2010 press conference. This is an example of how different LittleBigPlanet 2 is when compared to the original game. In this top-down game, you don't control Sackboy. Your Sackboy's there and riding on top of the command unit, but the player is represented onscreen as a floating cursor that you can use to move units, build troops and so on.

This is the future of LittleBigPlanet – a game in LittleBigPlanet that doesn't revolve around its mascot. This game had a holographic HUD so that you could see what your buttons did, and a holographic communicator would pop up to give you reports from your commander.

:D

http://ie.ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1098630p1.html

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
MisterAnderson said:
Why would anyone want to use the Move in the creator? Do you realize how imprecise it would be to place objects and stuff?

In what way do you think it would be imprecise?

thuway

Why wasn't this the opening title shown? Seriously Sony... It launches this Fall, it has universal appeal, and it would setup the tempo for the entire conference. :-/

gofreak said:
In what way do you think it would be imprecise?

You have keep your hand/arm perfectly steady if you expect to precisely place objects around your level and such. I'd imagine it would get tedious and I'd much prefer to use a mouse or the analog sticks personally.

Top Bottom