• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 3 reviews

How can you report these things, if you can at all?

I think I read somewhere that the numerical score is actually gone over with the reviewing site or the reviewer so the number's not really arbitrary and it goes with the what the reviewer felt. The score complaints dealt with how some summer movies were graded and I'm guessing their policies are not that much different for videogames.

The Lamp

day one code? are you trolling me? or am i going crazy.
this day 1 code crap needs to stop, last time i checked games needed time to be tested, printed and shipped.
if a game is ready to be reviewed then it needs to be bug free and ready to ship on disc without all this patching crap.
so many recent games have been spoiled because developers are relying on future patches and meeting stupid deadlines.

try explaining this day one code fiasco crap to nintendo.

maybe they should wait before giving the thumbs and committing to a broken, bugged game, review code, day code or not. this has got to stop.
neogaf can't simply pick and choose who to angry at, everyone got angry at ubisoft for assassins creed and i'd like the same people to do the same for other releases no matter which console they own.

The game probably got manufactured like 3-4 weeks ago in order to be ready for today. In those 3-4 weeks, more bugs were targeted and fixed in time for launch. Does that make sense now?

Nintendo had day one patches for games before. They recently did it for Smash Bros.

So, anybody encountered those "breaking bugs" IGN supposedly found in the PS4 version?

Nope, plays perfectly fine on my end. Played some story levels and am now doing some user-created levels.

The biggest bug I think is the pause that some people are having when pressing the popit button. I'm not seeing that though.

Nimby

Banned
I think I read somewhere that the numerical score is actually gone over with the reviewing site or the reviewer so the number's not really arbitrary and it goes with the what the reviewer felt. The score complaints dealt with how some summer movies were graded and I'm guessing their policies are not that much different for videogames.

I think this is more than likely the case, and if so the scale is to all degrees fucked up. Too many inconsistencies across the board to deal with.

The game probably got manufactured like 3-4 weeks ago in order to be ready for today. In those 3-4 weeks, more bugs were targeted and fixed in time for launch. Does that make sense now?

it makes sense but it's getting out of hand when the actual code on the disc has so many bugs when it's printed.
those 3-4 weeks should be spent polishing up and fixing any tiny bugs left, not spent making the sure that on day one the game runs above 20fps and players don't fall through floors.

Kilau

Gold Member
So, anybody encountered those "breaking bugs" IGN supposedly found in the PS4 version?

No, I'm into the 3rd story area and have had no issues. Imported my LBP1/2 content, played comunity levels. It's really been the smoothest LBP launch for me. One issue maybe is that some DLC isn't available yet but that is normal for a game that is played before the store updates.

IvorB

Yes you can say that the game needs to be polished before shipping and makes sense but when you get the game (day 1) and it has a patch to fix many of these bugs and for most gamers they will get the patch and have no problem. But reviewers get it early which normal customers don't get and won't get the patch that they made for the day the game actually ships. It's a very similar situation as for games with locked multplayer until day 1. Look at gta 5 launch two weeks after the game ships, was that game technically finished at the launch, no and even after it had connection problems and the reviews for games didn't change even with the online portion usually only getting 7/10

The reviewers should review the game code that they have. It is the publisher who provides this code so it falls to them to make sure it is representative of final product.

Nintendo had day one patches for games before. They recently did it for Smash Bros.

The onus is on the dev/publisher to ensure a suitable level of QA is reached before going gold. What about the people who don't have their consoles online? They've bought a physical disc with the expectation that it should work as advertised. Devs playing fast and loose with day 1 patches and bad QA is not acceptable, even if it happens to be a series you like rather than Ass Creed.

The Lamp

The reviewers should review the game code that they have. It is the publisher who provides this code so it falls to them to make sure it is representative of final product.

The onus is on the dev/publisher to ensure a suitable level of QA is reached before going gold. What about the people who don't have their consoles online? They've bought a physical disc with the expectation that it should work as advertised. Devs playing fast and loose with day 1 patches and bad QA is not acceptable, even if it happens to be a series you like rather than Ass Creed.

Perhaps. I played the first few levels pre patch and didn't have any issues, though, so I can't complain yet. And Assassin's Creeds performance issues and bugs, as far as I know, have yet to be fixed.

Qwark

You guys raging over IGN's review, wait till you read IGN Italy's.
http://it.ign.com/littlebigplanet-3-ps4/89590/review/littlebigplanet-3-la-recensione

A couple gems (fair warning, google translated):

LittleBigPlanet has never been a great platform game is one of the worst kept secrets in the world of video games.

The short story mode is about 3/4 of the complaints.
All three can be exploited to explore more freely hubs that in each of the zones, giving access to a variety of levels, but their presence is incredibly underused

Again, However, the attitude of Sumo Digital borders on laziness: in fact virtually every trinket is retrieved for use in a single layer

And it is a mess LittleBigPlanet 3 both in terms of art direction, that of the technology....Sumo Digital is not, of course, the same taste or the same think tank and the same explosive imagination of the original team.

Longevity is, finally, the other big problem LittleBigPlanet 3 ... at least if we consider, as in our case, a platform game itself, rather than just an editor.

During my sessions I found two or three really annoying bugs, including people who "crash" into the landscape and parts of screen disappear, that even though I had already installed the update that will be available at launch.

a technological absolutely not worth the PlayStation 4 and only good on the PlayStation 3

There are some good points as well, like the well designed levels and that the other characters are fun to play as, but they're almost always followed up by a negative like "no 4 player puzzles", or "you have to work to dig through all of the custom levels to find the good ones".

Also, 6.5 so metacritic is under 80 again.

Also, what the hell does the title mean?
SNOWMAN WITHOUT ART
Nevermind, pupazzo means both puppet and snowman in Italian.

I got LBP3 last night and I'm loving it so far. I have fallen through the level once so yes, there are bugs, I don't know if I'd go so far to call them game-breaking. Score doesn't really bother me, I just think it's funny that right as IGN drama is wrapping up IGN Italy comes in with an even lower score.

PBY

Banned
Maybe... They just didn't like it that much?

Don't understand the obsession with IGNs reviews. If you want to have your opinion validated most of the reviews are positive.

ItIsOkBro

It looks like the game is getting crazy criticized for lack of co-op in single player mode...something that'll easily be rectified by user levels no doubt.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It looks like the game is getting crazy criticized for lack of co-op in single player mode...something that'll easily be rectified by user levels no doubt.
The criticism is mostly that you can't play with any character you want in co-op. All the levels are 4 player co-op online or off.

Which is also sort of dumb because if you don't tailor your level to a subset of characters, you'll break the level design because of what they are capable of, especially with a character like Swoop.

prwxv3

The criticism is mostly that you can't play with any character you want in co-op. All the levels are 4 player co-op online or off.

Which is also sort of dumb because if you don't tailor your level to a subset of characters, you'll break the level design because of what they are capable of, especially with a character like Swoop.

that is a pretty stupid criticism

ItIsOkBro

You can play with any character if the creator allows it no?

And I don't get what you mean by 'all the levels are 4 player co-op"

Raist

Banned
day one code? are you trolling me? or am i going crazy.
this day 1 code crap needs to stop, last time i checked games needed time to be tested, printed and shipped.
if a game is ready to be reviewed then it needs to be bug free and ready to ship on disc without all this patching crap.
so many recent games have been spoiled because developers are relying on future patches and meeting stupid deadlines.

try explaining this day one code fiasco crap to nintendo.

I'm sorry, are you trying to imply here that Nintendo doesn't do day 1 patches and only ships Quality Products?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You can play with any character if the creator allows it no?

And I don't get what you mean by 'all the levels are 4 player co-op"
You can play anything in the game in co-op, from 2 to 4 players, which includes the single-player. So there isn't a lack of co-op in the campaign, as you can do the entire thing with up to 4 players. For player-designed levels, it depends on what the creator wants, yeah.

At the very least, a review should reflect the author's opinion on the game in the state it is in when it is available to be purchased. One could make an argument for patches or updates that come out soon after a game is released, but if a developer releases a patch that fixes major issues that is available by the time for a midnight launch, then it's wrong for the author not to take that into account.

Now, I don't know if the updates for LPB3 fix all or most of the major issues; but for them to just read the patch notes is such a bad look.

I can't open my pop it menu without a 5-10 second complete game freeze. Then any sub menu underneath another 5-10 second complete freeze. This is game breaking to me as you have to access the popit to do so much

KalBalboa

Banned
Mulling over this or GTA right now. Getting Far Cry for sure and looking for a second game at a Toys R Us sale (buy one get one 40% off). Already own GTA V on PS3, but only paid $30 for it and got it digitally.

Thoughts?

Percy

Banned
I notice some of the more transparent posters seemed to have been banned since I last looked at this thread.

How many times is that that Midnighter (Or however the hell he writes it) has been banned for trolling Playstation related stuff now? Guessing there's no three strike system in place on Neogaf lol.

the reactions in this thread, and people harping on you for sharing concern about a game.

Out of curiousity, have you even played this game?

Did IGN really delay their review of Halo MCC so that developers had time to work out teh kinks yet still gave it a 9.0 when issues were in tact. Yet with LBP3 they don't even download all the updates and ding the game fro bugs and even state they don't think the update would change anything. that's just wrong

Deadstar

Mulling over this or GTA right now. Getting Far Cry for sure and looking for a second game at a Toys R Us sale (buy one get one 40% off). Already own GTA V on PS3, but only paid $30 for it and got it digitally.

Thoughts?

Do you want to shoot people in the face or wall jump off a wall as a pug?

prwxv3

Yup it sure is. But people will tell you it's a disaster. The game is great and once the bugs get patched many of the review complaints will be moot.
The same thing happened with ISS which has a MC of 80. I guess SO is a disaster too since it has a MC of 82

Did IGN really delay their review of Halo MCC so that developers had time to work out teh kinks yet still gave it a 9.0 when issues were in tact. Yet with LBP3 they don't even download all the updates and ding the game fro bugs and even state they don't think the update would change anything. that's just wrong

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous. I don't even care that they gave LBP3 a 6.8 or MCC a 9.0 or that they were reviewed by different people.

The process and standards that the reviews follow should still be consistent.

It's pretty ridiculous. I don't know how anybody can take them seriously when they're so arbitrary and inconsistent. But does it really matter? They don't care what people on GAF think, IGN is catered to a much broader and casual audience who just looks at the score and moves on.

Mailbox

I expected better for a LBP game that isn't a kart racer. Especially after the footage I've seen during streams that made it look like the best entry yet.

>has all creation tools from previous games and then a lot added
>has a good story mode (as far as I can tell)
>tighter controls (even if only a lil according to some)
>multiple new characters

Yeah... I'd say it's the best entry yet...
I think reviewers drank the koolaid before reviewing this game.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The actual average score for all reviewers on metacritic is like 73-4. It's why the cut off point for green to yellow (generally favorable to mixed) is 75 and it's why people say there's 7-10 game review scale. Basically any in that range is the actual mediocre/average range.

One of the consistencies in the less than glowing (because that's all they are, really) reviews is that the campaign is not as imaginative as the previous entries, when just watching videos the level design looks superior, and a few people in here have mentioned as much, which I find interesting. Definitely something I'll be interested in judging myself during my playthrough.

Personally, I've always felt this series has been reviewed rather over-generously in the press considering how mechanically sloppy it is, yet is also judged rather unfairly on this site by people who don't seem to understand it's fundamentally a physics sandbox party game and not a platformer.

I think I'll pick this up in the new year. It'll let the price drop a bit and allow the community to make all sorts of cool shit.

As far as the review scores go, I couldn't really give a shit. It sounds like a LBP game and that's all I'm looking for really. You can depend on the community to make cool shit regardless of the base game that's there. Sometimes I swear review threads on GAF only exist to weed out the console warriors.

Again, the crazy part about the Metacritic average is that it's actually incorrect. Gaming Age, the lowest score in the average, gave the game a score of C+, but the Metacritic site has converted that into a numeric score of 58. That is the lowest review in the average, and seems to be an error on Metacritic's part, because I've never heard of a C+ translating into a score of 58 in any other facet of life. If anything, it should be converted to a 79.

Gaming Age gave Ass Rougue an A-, its a 90 on metacritic...

They gave Unity a C and it's a 50 on metacritic....

They originally have HaloMCC a C+ and it was a 58 just like LBP3...

Fantasia got a B+ and that's an 83 on metacritic..

It really makes no sense...They use their own scoring system to adapt letter grades.

I think people should also remember that Metacritic overall scores are weighted. Scores from some sites carry much more weight than scores from other sites. They say because some sites give more detailed in depth reviews and are more respected than other sites. However, they will not reveal which sites these are. You can guess that the IGN score was devastating on LBP3s meta score.

All of this is in their FAQ..

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Gaming Age gave Ass Rougue an A-, its a 90 on metacritic...

They gave Unity a C and it's a 50 on metacritic....

They originally have HaloMCC a C+ and it was a 58 just like LBP3...

Fantasia got a B+ and that's an 83 on metacritic..

It really makes no sense...They use their own scoring system to adapt letter grades.

I think people should also remember that Metacritic overall scores are weighted. Scores from some sites carry much more weight than scores from other sites. They say because some sites give more detailed in depth reviews and are more respected than other sites. However, they will not reveal which sites these are. You can guess that the IGN score was devastating on LBP3s meta score.

All of this is in their FAQ..

How low do Gaming Age letters go?

Top Bottom