• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Living Things (New Linkin Park Album) |OT| We're gonna go listen to Linkin Park

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note: Please refrain from hate posting and ridiculing/demeaning other thread participants for listening to LP. More than a few members were probably banned because of such actions in the Burn It Down thread.

Living Things wallpaper originally done by Deviant Art member Delta-Seb

PVMqJ.jpg

Xxq3E.jpg

LPassociation.com said:
LIVING THINGS is the fifth studio album from Linkin Park and is set for release June 26th (US) 25th (UK/EU) 22nd (AUS/NZ) 2012. The album is the follow up to A Thousand Suns which saw a release in September 2010, making this the shortest turn around time for a Linkin Park album ever. The album is once again co-produced by Mike Shinoda and Rick Rubin who also shared the responsibilities on their previous two albums, Minutes To Midnight (2007) and A Thousand Suns (2010).

The title of the album has been described by Mike Shinoda as a comment on the personal issues the album deals with: "We chose the album title 'Living Things' because it's more of a record about people. It's more about personal interactions. On the last few records we've had an interest in global issues and social issues and those things are still around, there are certainly traces of them, but this record is far more personal."

Mike Shinoda has described LIVING THINGS as a "firecracker" record filled with quick stand-out tracks stating that LIVING THINGS is "not a concept record. It's a song based record". The band have also touted LIVING THINGS as a foundation of all of the band's previous work, a collective use of all of the "tools in their toolbox" which allowed the band to be "comfortable in their skin" for the first time, by embracing both the past and present of Linkin Park.

LIVING THINGS is available in both digital and physical formats, although no CD / DVD Digipak is available compared to their previous albums. The Japanese version will be released June 27th and features an additional bonus live track: What I've Done (Live from iTunes Festival) - 04:05.

Mike Shinoda said:
It doesn’t lose any of the creativity of the newer stuff and it brings in the energy of the older stuff. It’s kind of a comprehensive sound. I feel like we’ve been able to take all the stuff we’ve learned on the way and put it all together in each song and still keep it fresh and forward-thinking. Read More.

Chester Bennington said:
"with this [new] album, we've incorporated a lot of guitar work with big choruses and the heavier electronic stuff to give it that really big wall of sound feeling without getting too metal. This will be more familiar to people than A Thousand Suns was, where we were like 'Fuck it, we're just going to go bonkers. Read More.

1TGyl.jpg

1. "Lost in the Echo" 3:23
2. "In My Remains" 3:19
3. "Burn It Down" 3:51
4. "Lies Greed Misery" 2:27
5. "I'll Be Gone" 3:30
6. "Castle of Glass" 3:23
7. "Victimized" 1:51
8. "Roads Untraveled" 3:44
9. "Skin to Bone" 2:48
10. "Until It Breaks" 3:46
11. "Tinfoil" 1:02
12. "Powerless" 3:36

Album length: Approximately 37 minutes.

*links lead to official lyric videos from the Linkin Park channel on Youtube.

W7FR3.jpg

Those who pre-order the album will get one remixed track from the album per month for 8 months. The first remix has been released.

TVXcQ.jpg

jbWGv.jpg

Qwm0P.jpg

BWfg5.jpg

Inside Living Things (Making Of Video)

Living Things Album Teaser

Burn It Down (1st single) Music Video

Lies Greed Misery Live (PinkPop 2012)

Burn It Down Live (Rock Am Ring 2012)

Tinfoil (instrumental) + Faint Live

ns2yJ.jpg

The Guardian said:
Living Things is more personal than A Thousand Suns, with underlying themes of recovery from traumatic experiences. The exception, Burn It Down, delivers an antiwar sentiment via Depeche Mode-y electro-bounce, while the similarly standout Roads Untraveled is an eerie confessional ballad. Living Things would have benefited from more of such adventure, but they still sound like a band enjoying an unexpected second life. Read More.

Entertainment Weekly said:
Linkin Park's fifth album opens with ''Lost in the Echo,'' a torrent of hate-your-parents guitars and suburban-ennui boom-bap that could have come from the group's 2000 debut. Living Things doesn't totally retreat from 2010's art-aggro detour A Thousand Suns; bits of noise-pop schizophrenia surface on late-arriving shape-shifters ''Skin to Bone'' and ''Until It Breaks.'' But what remains is a barrage of cyber-metal elbow jabs, with just enough fluffy new-wave padding to soften the onslaught. B Link

Toronto Sun said:
Growth. Evolution. Call it what you want; bottom line is Linkin Park aren’t getting stuck in any ruts. With their fifth disc, the restless California rockers continue to explore new sonic and stylistic terrain, eschewing traditional sounds and songcraft for a bold hybrid that utilizes everything from hip-hop to electronica to punk to reggae — yet ends up forging its own unique identity. Respect. Link

Artist Direct said:
Not only is Living Things one of the best albums of the decade, it's a new classic. Once again, Linkin Park raise the bar. This is a hybrid like you've never heard and won't again—until their next album. The world's been crying out for a great rock album, and this is it. Read More.

Noisecreep said:
LIVING THINGS clocks in at a brisk 37 minutes, perhaps leaving the listener wanting more - which is rarely a bad thing to do. But there is not one wasted second and it certainly satisfies. Based on Noisecreep's first listen, we are pretty certain this will be one of the most talked about (and played) albums of the summer. Powerful, hypnotic and thoroughly true to form, this is a brilliant, definitive collection that represents an important band at its peak - yet again. Read More.

umrj1.jpg

y9gAu.png

Xzeon

Banned
Been an LP fan forever.

Fuck yeah HYPE.

Finally some good album art, only took 3 albums since Meteora.

Still incredibly disappointed they didn't try another album like A Thousand Suns. This one seems uninspired, safe, and designed to move and make money based on the singles.

Darkatomz

HOT. Super excited. Anyone else attending the movie theater event the night before the album drops? It's a live recording of the show they recently did in Berlin, Germany. One night event only.

Info here, if interested.

Oh man Lie Greed Misery is awful. Jesus Christ I hope that isn't indicative of much of the album. I enjoyed their last album but minus What I've Done, Leave Out All The Rest and Shadow of the Sun I didn't care much for Thousand Suns. It was too...soft.

Oh man Lie Greed Misery is awful. Jesus Christ I hope that isn't indicative of much of the album. I enjoyed their last album but minus What I've Done, Leave Out All The Rest and Shadow of the Sun I didn't care much for Thousand Suns. It was too...soft.

What I've Done, Leave Out All the Rest, and Shadow of the Day are songs from Minutes to Midnight. LP's Third album.

A Thousand Suns was LP's last album prior to Living Things.

that artist direct "review" is hilarious

I assumed it was written by a 10 year old from the blurb in the OP.

EDIT: It's not a review, as the OP says. It's a preview. Still laughable.

This is Linkin Park's best record and a landmark for rock as a whole.

Chester Bennington sounds potently pristine during the stadium-size refrain, locking into an impenetrable harmony with Shinoda. They remain the most intriguing duo in music at large, and their interplay here is utterly mind-blowing.

"BURN IT DOWN" is already a timeless anthem in its own right, boasting that inescapable and irresistible refrain.

"ROADS UNTRAVELED" nods to classic rock, but it's unlike anything you've ever heard, especially once that big distortion hits.

It has the heft of a John Williams score and the power of any of Linkin Park's best output.

Not only is Living Things one of the best albums of the decade, it's a new classic. Once again, Linkin Park raise the bar.

And we make fun of gaming journalists.

Synless

If I preordered on iTunes, do I still qualify for the free 8 remixed songs, or is that a deal from only their website?

Hybrid Theory (best) and Meteora (close, but maybe 2nd imo) were amazing albums. Minutes to Midnight was basically a heap of trash. There were a couple alright songs, but not one was even as good as what was on HT or Meteora. Then ATS came along, and that seemed somewhat okay, not even close to their first 2 albums, but I liked the direction of some of the songs. Wretches and Kings and Blackout were my 2 favorites. But still, I was left feeling kind of empty. I don't mind if bands go in different directions but MtM basically killed my love for Linkin Park. The Undergrounds coming out around the time of MtM were better than the actual album.

Ill say one thing, this album is not Hybrid Theory Part 3. Listening to it now, like the past 2 albums it feels pretty unique. Im glad mike is singing on this, I was afraid they would step away from that with him rapping more.

Oh wow, Castle Of Glass. Its good.

Ok, yeah, this album is bizarre. Like seriously bizarre. I love it. The folk inspired elements are really evident.

Those who wanted rap on more songs will probably be disappointment, though it is more than ATS I believe. The songs Mike raps on are fantastic though.

TheMan

i'm diggin "burn it down". the lyrics are cheesy and I don't like the rapping at all, but the beat and melody are pretty good. i'll give the full album a listen.

edit: looks like the posted link to the stream doesn't work in the US

kind of funny how dead this thread is now that people are afraid to shit on the band for fear of the banhammer

Tucah

you speak so well
As someone who thought the band was getting progressively worse with each album, this finally reverses that trend. Better than MtM and ATS, I'd say. I like the first half a lot, second half is definitely different so I'm not quite sure what to think of that yet.

Yeah, I really would hate to be the guy at Itunes who caused this.

Anyways, I really like this album, too soon to call favorites or critique, but I am enjoying Castle Of Glass a lot.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Gave Burn it Down a listen out of curiosity.
Okay, where the hell did this trend of having some random rapper for one verse start and how soon can it die?

To be fair, LP has always had rap and BID is by far the albums worst track. But I agree its kinda out of place. :lol

Bleed It Out is one of his best raps on a Linkin Park song. His verses on this, aside from Burn It Down, are pretty good on first listen though.

If you want his best stuff though, listen to the Fort Minor cd, his side project.

Nivert

Listened to it once so far and I'm liking it. I didn't dig ATS but enjoyed the rest of their albums.

Hopefully Shinoda can do another Fort Minor album after this.

kind of funny how dead this thread is now that people are afraid to shit on the band for fear of the banhammer

Did I miss some mass bannings or something?

I've always just felt like OT's are meant to stay a positive environment for the sake of discussion. Though, I do enjoy OT's that seem like they're made just to shit on something, like Dragon Age 2.

Sai-kun

Banned
I'm in love with Skin to Bone already. Beat/melody is cool as shit, for real.

Goddddd this is awesome. So bouncy.

edit: until is breaks is weird as fuckkkk. Mike's delivery reminds me a little bit of Wretches and Kings.

Sai-kun

Banned
Tinfoil is a great little instrumental track and opener for Powerless. I wish Tinfoil was longer.

edit: just got to the main bit of Powerless. Love it. Man, LP really nailed the percussion/drum parts on this album. So ace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom